• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laser Tech

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
LASER TECH: A guide to Falcos laser's

First off I would like to say that Falcos laser's have huge potential. They have a thousand use's and I decided to right a guide on these uses.

Let us begin.

Grounded Laser's
Just shoot lasers on the ground. This is most of the time not used for the following reasons.

#1 It has really bad ending lag.
#2 It shoot's slower compared to laser's shot in the air.

Needless to say they aren't all bad, but they don't belong in a pro match for the most part. Mostly beginners use this tech because it's easy to use.

Uses
Use grounded lasers to laser lock someone. A laser lock is when someone has fallen on the ground (not a normal trip but one that Falco deal's to the foe) and you fire your laser's so when they are hit they repeat the falling animation taking damage. Basically it is impossible to get out of, so it's a true combo.

SHL or Short Hop Laser
This is performed by doing a short jump and squeezing off one laser. When you land you receive no lag. Try and time a dash upon landing to keep Falco moving.

Uses
This is good at keeping you mobile, making it harder to counter you in your time of lag. Basically replace grounded lasers with this.

The SHL is good as a retreat as well. To do this just back flip and shoot a laser. However, you have to do it in the following way.
Short Hop Back Flip> when going left to right shoot the laser when his feet is pointed at 10 o' clock : when going right to left shoot your laser when his feet is at 2 o' clock> repeat (doing this prevents Falco from turning around)

The SHL is also good for the following strings/combos.

#1 SHL to grab.
#2 SHL to Phantasm.
#3 SHL to A combo.
#4 SHL to Dash Attack.
#5 SHL to f-tilt.
#6 SHL to d-tilt to grab. (Only at certain percents.)
#7 SHL to Dair.
#8 SHL to Nair.
#9 SHL to Boost Smash.
#10 SHL to Gatling/DLX Combo.
#11 SHL to Reflector.

SHDL or Short Hop Double Laser's
This is the upgraded version of SHL. However, it is hard to do correctly and effectively. To perform this shoot the first laser at the peak of his jump, followed by a second laser before you hit the ground. Try and time a dash upon landing to keep Falco moving.

Uses
This is a good tech because it goes above their head (If they aren't a big character) and one laser hits them. So it greatly hinders the movement.

The SHDL can be used for a retreat as well. However, this not as good as SHL retreat in my opinion. Here is why.

#1 You can't get two laser's off because he turns around when you back flip.

#2 You can't get as much movement as a back flip SHL.

Now none the less, this is still a really good tech. It just doesn't apply as much movement when moving backwards.

The SHDL can also be used as a string/combo starter. The following states the strings/combos.

#1 SHDL to grab.
#2 SHDL to Phantasm.
#3 SHDL to A combo.
#4 SHDL to Dash Attack.
#5 SHDL to f-tilt.
#6 SHDL to d-tilt to grab. (Only at certain percents.)
#7 SHDL to Dair.
#8 SHDL to Nair.
#9 SHDL to Boost Smash.
#10 SHDL to Gatling/DLX Combo.
#11 SHDL to Reflector.

The SHDL can also be done in reverse by tapping the analog backwards, returning it back to it's neutral state and firing yah lasers! *note* This is hard to time because you will perform Phantasm by mistake if your not careful.

Here is a cool little trick.
Run, reverse SHDL off the edge (time it so both lasers hit), jump and fire off two more laser's recovering back to the stage.

I personally adore this trick.

Laser Barrage
There's no name for this so I just gave it the title Laser Barrage. Basically you perform a full jump and fire four laser at foe's recovering from the upper corner's of the stage. You can also do a full jump, fire two laser's, mid air jump and fire three laser's.

Use's
This is good at annoying you foes. It seems to make them iffy about recovering from above the stage. So they prefer to recover from below the stage. Use this to your advantage.

You can also laser lock them in the air this way. I call this LAL or Laser Air Lock. *note* This is not a true combo and only works on the following characters.

#1 Ganondorf
#2 Bowser
#3 King Dedede
#4 Ike
#5 Donkey Kong
#6 Snake
#8 Wolf
#9 Falco
#10 Marth
#11 Zero Suit Samus
#12 Link

This list is unfinished as of right now.

To do this simply line yourself up with a foe that falls around the same speed as Falco and start firing laser's while your are both falling. It looks truly epic!

Laser Tech For The Ledge
Laser's are also good for your ledge game. Here are a list of tech's you can do on the ledge.

#1 Ledge Hop Laser's:: Let go of the ledge, perform your mid air jump, shoot a laser and regrab the ledge.
*note* You will auto grab the ledge with one laser and if your timing is right you can auto grab with two. However if you get your timing down well enough you can squeeze off three. You will have to perform Fire Bird though. Which can be bad for you cause they can edge hog you.

#2 Ledge Hop To Laser's:: Simply perform Ledge Hop Laser's except DI back to the stage's surface.

#3 Wall Jump to Laser:: You can jump off a wall and fire a laser in the direction opposite of the wall. This can be used for your edge game at stage's like Yoshi's Island (Brawl version).

All Other Laser Tech's
This is more of an area in the guide where the laser tech's don't belong anywhere else.

#1 Silent Laser: This is one of Falco's best laser techs. As the name states, when this laser is shoot it has no sound. When you are close to a foe and this is performed followed by a quick it can be a true combo. (A true combo is one where it's impossible to get out of.)

A silent laser can be performed right before Falco hits the ground. The timing is hard but well worth it.

This can be used for SHDL and SHL.

#2 Fall Through Laser: Basically you duck through a plat form and fire a laser before hitting the ground.

*note* A silent laser can be used in this tech. However, it is difficult.

#3 Wall Jump To Laser's: This is a good tech for stage's like Shadow Moses Island or Corneria. Basically you wall jump and start shooting laser's. Real simple, but can be unexpected.

#4 Reverse Laser's: Okay, this is a sweet trick. Simply do a back flip and quickly fire your laser's. Falco should turn around when he starts shooting.

There is also a second way to do this. Just simply tap the analog to the direction you wish to face, return it back to the center and hit the B button as soon as possible (with out Phantasm suiciding). -_-

#5 Stale Moves and Laser Damage: Falco seems to have a very strange projectile. He suffers from stale moves by a percentage. ie If you look where it's doing 1 2 1 2, he is actually doing 1.5 damage. So when the next laser connects it will be. .5 + 1.5= 2 Here is a list of how much each connecting shot takes off.

#1 3%
#2 2%
#3 3%
#4 2%
#5 2%
#6 2%
#7 1%
#8 2%
#9 1%
#10 2%
#11 1%
#12 2%

Now it continues like this up to one hundred conecting shots have been fired. It isn't always one two though. Around 40% you fire about five lasers that do 2%. It does this with 1% as well.
Also, the lasers only suffer from stale moves if they hit. I fired about thirty lasers away from the foe. The first to connect done 3%.

Now you can refresh your lasers so it goes through its cycle again. To do this just get four attacks to connect. Oh, and the spinning slaps don't negate.

#5 Distance Negation: No matter how far the laser travels. It will never decrease in power.

Laser Uses On Different Stage's
This is a section on how to use laser's at different stages. *note* I will begin testing shortly.

Video's

Laser Storm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5IgaK9SaiM

Well, that's it. Please tell me if I left something out and I'll add it. Also, if I have miss information please bring it to my attention.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Um..... thanks? This is mostly common knowledge...
But it's nicely complied and colourful.

Umm, put laserlock in it, and walljump lasers (there's a lot of uses them, you shoudl search around and put them in one big post here)

Also, lasers to shine works as a variation.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Well, I guess it's a nice summary of the different laser uses. Whatever, as long as it keeps Falco boards active.

saviorslegacy

But it's nicely complied and colourful.

Umm, put laserlock in it, and walljump lasers (there's a lot of uses them, you shoudl search around and put them in one big post here)

Also, lasers to shine works as a variation.
Laser Lock is in there.

Denzi

Smash Master
You should add this link:

:link:

And others like it. It helps to be able to show people what you're talking about.

(click the link, if that wasn't clear)

FlyingBigMoney

Smash Rookie
Well I don't know much about falco I just saw this as the thread with newest post and all I can say is this: Just spam SHDL. That's what everyone does, and it works.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Haha, Denzi actually sigged it.

Also, there is way more to Falco's lasers than spamming SHDL. Maybe a bad Falco does that, but a good one uses the right lasers for the right situation.

Vlade

Social Outcast
No offence but if it's a guide then could you please at least put some effort into correcting your spelling and grammar? I was reading it and I can barely understand what you're trying to get across.

saviorslegacy

No offence but if it's a guide then could you please at least put some effort into correcting your spelling and grammar? I was reading it and I can barely understand what you're trying to get across.
Sorry, I wrote this late last night and didn't think of spell checking it.

I have went through and read it many times and found many errors. However, I doubt I got them all. So if you see anything else make a post and bring it/them to my attention.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Savior please stop making threads they are all old news. If you'll notice the date on the video that Denzi linked to you'll see it's from back in May. This is because you are about 7 months late getting into the competitive brawl scene, please realize this and just stop.
Your reasoning of:
It was meant for newbies.
also fails because we have better threads than this linked to in the stickies about the same thing, which is where new people will/should be looking if they want information (although they do have a stupid tendency to make their own thread).

So, please, just stop.

saviorslegacy

Savior please stop making threads they are all old news. If you'll notice the date on the video that Denzi linked to you'll see it's from back in May. This is because you are about 7 months late getting into the competitive brawl scene, please realize this and just stop.
Your reasoning of:

also fails because we have better threads than this linked to in the stickies about the same thing, which is where new people will/should be looking if they want information (although they do have a stupid tendency to make their own thread).

So, please, just stop.
If you notice there aren't any guides on ALL of his laser techs. I found the some of the info is scattered through out many guides. There's even a link on SHDL the right way. Only SHDL is included. So I decided to try and bring it all together since most people don't know how to use his lasers correctly. You can say there are plenty here that know, yeah, I say there are me people in SWF that don't. So I tried to some it up.

Also, I had to figure out follow ups on my own. I didn't see hardly anything in any posts.

On top of that I haven't seen any thing on LAL or for the most part his ledge game with lasers.

That is why I spent my time writting this. I didn't write it for vets, but newbies and intermedite players. So please try and understand.

ps I have made so many posts because I am trying to constantly increase his meta game. I coppied his old guide in these forums and tried to figure out things that weren't in it. (I do need to upgrade it though.) :/ I'll discover something one of these days's.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
How about adding less known things such as dropping through the platforms at Battlefield to do a Silent laser?

Add tidsbits like laser playing/IAP at Norfair from platform to platform.

If you really want to expand the metagame, think outside the box more and show us -something new-.

(Made that gimpy quote applies to almost everything I tell people)

I recently helped Snake's metagame by making a list of things that needed to be tested, working on frame data, ko %'s for fresh mines/c4, how long c4/mines LAST without detonating, etc.

All the little things that few people know, and fewer people share.

J4pu

Smash Champion
If you notice there aren't any guides on ALL of his laser techs. I found the some of the info is scattered through out many guides. There's even a link on SHDL the right way. Only SHDL is included. So I decided to try and bring it all together since most people don't know how to use his lasers correctly.
most competitive people do know how to use his lasers correctly, that's all that matters You can say there are plenty here that know, yeah, I say there are me people in SWF that don't. So I tried to some it up.

Also, I had to figure out follow ups on my own. I didn't see hardly anything in any posts.
we have a frame data guide, silent lasers give +3 frame advantage, therefore it is a true combo into a jab if you are standing close enough to jab (jab comes out on frame 2) anything else relies on your opponent, and the frame data gives this info

On top of that I haven't seen any thing on LAL or for the most part his ledge game with lasers.
Laser Air Lock DNE (does not exist) it is dependent on opponent's DI as well as their choice at what they do after getting hit by the first laser, also anybody could figure out on their own that when the opponent is too far off-stage to attack you can shoot lasers at them

That is why I spent my time writting this. I didn't write it for vets, but newbies and intermedite players. So please try and understand.
As I said before all this stuff is already in a place where "noobies" can find it aka stickies, I don't know how your thread is going to help them when they come in 3 months from now and it is on page 25 of the Falco boards (btw the threads after like 4 pages don't show up for some reason, they still exist because you can find them with the search function but the boards don't extend past like page 4, so they will definitely not be able to find your thread

ps I have made so many posts because I am trying to constantly increase his meta game. I coppied his old guide in these forums and tried to figure out things that weren't in it. (I do need to upgrade it though.) :/ I'll discover something one of these days's.
you are only annoying the vets of the Falco boards, you are in no way improving his metagame as it is right now, if you want to do that, then stop making threads until you have something useful to post about, then when you do make a thread people won't immediately write it off as pointless because of all your other pointless threads and they will be more willing to accept it
J4pu said:
you are about 7 months late getting into the competitive brawl scene
YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THIS, which means almost everything you think you find or think hasn't been done before, or think hasn't had a guide written on it, HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE.

If you actually take a second to try to understand this rather than making arguments (most of which I have already pre-empted with retorts) you will see why your multitude of posts are getting annoying. The large majority of people that visit smashboards are competitive players (not to be mistaken with good competitive players) so your posts aren't helping the people who only play smash for fun and couldn't care less that shooting grounded lasers leave them with more after-lag.

EDIT- I FOUND A WAY YOU COULD BE HELPFUL AND NOBODY WILL FLAME YOU (if you do it correctly of course):
Help out with getting data on all the stuff in this thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205916
I would actually really appreciate it if you did that and I'm sure other people around here would respect you a little more knowing that you helped get good factual data on stuff that needed testing.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
We appreciate your efforts, Saviorslegacy, but we really need more effort to go into discovering NEW techniques and strategies with Falco, not just restating what's been found. You can say it's "For newbies", but they don't need guides like this, they need the guides that are already stickied + watching videos.

saviorslegacy

YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THIS, which means almost everything you think you find or think hasn't been done before, or think hasn't had a guide written on it, HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE.

If you actually take a second to try to understand this rather than making arguments (most of which I have already pre-empted with retorts) you will see why your multitude of posts are getting annoying. The large majority of people that visit smashboards are competitive players (not to be mistaken with good competitive players) so your posts aren't helping the people who only play smash for fun and couldn't care less that shooting grounded lasers leave them with more after-lag.

EDIT- I FOUND A WAY YOU COULD BE HELPFUL AND NOBODY WILL FLAME YOU (if you do it correctly of course):
Help out with getting data on all the stuff in this thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205916
I would actually really appreciate it if you did that and I'm sure other people around here would respect you a little more knowing that you helped get good factual data on stuff that needed testing.
KK, I'll help there. However, I really want to help increase his laser game. What needs help in this area?

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Just find new stuff and we'll tell you if it's useful or not.
yea but no need to make a new thread everytime...when i look at the pages alot of them are made by you, saying you find a new trick or strat when it's not even new so maybe...Q and A thread first?

saviorslegacy

yea but no need to make a new thread everytime...when i look at the pages alot of them are made by you, saying you find a new trick or strat when it's not even new so maybe...Q and A thread first?
I'll just post my laser tricks in here.

saviorslegacy

Sorry, I will post anything I think is new in the thread JP4U linked me too.

What I meant was I will put any new things (or what I think is new) on lasers in this thread. I would like to see this thread have every use for his lasers listed! IMO

J4pu

Smash Champion
You seem to have missed what I was saying, I don't want you to post things that you think might be new in the other thread, I want you to follow the OP's instructions and collect data that he has asked for.
and just stop posting "new" things altogether
well, if you think something is new, ask in the Q&A thread about it, then if you get good responses from people there and they agree that you should make a new thread, then you can make your own thread about it.

saviorslegacy

You seem to have missed what I was saying, I don't want you to post things that you think might be new in the other thread, I want you to follow the OP's instructions and collect data that he has asked for.
and just stop posting "new" things altogether
well, if you think something is new, ask in the Q&A thread about it, then if you get good responses from people there and they agree that you should make a new thread, then you can make your own thread about it.
No, I got what you where saying. was just typing fast cause I'm at school. lol

I'm working on CG finishers.... and... well just read this guide. I have added more area's. So I'm gonna work on the area's in here.

saviorslegacy

Okay, I added sections 5 and 6 in other laser techs. I need some one else to test in those areas. I need to know if I am right.

zagoon

Smash Rookie
Hi i just posted this in the question-answer thread :

I just discovered something with falco lasers, and i dont really know if is an AT or everyone knows already about it, i dont know how to name it but it´s performed like this:

run in one direction ( let´s say right ), short hop, press B and then inmediatly ( and when i mean inmediatly i mean very quick ) press the opposite direction you are facing ( in our case, left ) and leave it pressed.

the result is that you do a reverse laser, but you dont continue with your aerial momentum ( i dont know if that term is well used there xd ), you go the opposite direction you where facing, it´s very strange, you do it and it´s like you where completly reversed , i cant do a video about it if someone thinks it´s interesting then film it!

EDIT: ok the laser thing it´s already been known

Top Bottom