• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Surviving a Cypher Grab Break

SuSa

Banned via Administration
For 8AngeL8 (was it you?), with love. :laugh:

(Also for anyone else interested)

Steps:

1. Get grabbed like an idiot
2. Get grab released like an idiot
3. DI towards the stage and slightly down like a smart person
4. Mash B to do down-B
5. Mash B again to do down-B and blow yourself up
6. DI towards the stage
7. Tech that edge
8. Only apply this step if you missed the tech: YOU MUST RECOVER!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reVHBsNCF1I

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Question...is this supposed to be new?

On a side note, I love nailing an opposing snake with a fair in time to intercept him after he detonates....

Tenki

Smash Hero
How to correctly grab Snake out of Cypher, and counter, blahblahblah

lol thought I recognized the title. straight-up copypaste from my post in AiB:

That's if the person doesn't grab you right :d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkiCPq0GmLs
Even though this was a wifi match, there are two examples of... things there that are notable:
2:01 - how to "correctly" grab Snake out of Cypher if he mis-spaces and ends up flying near the edge. Let's see you try to down-B out of that.
End - how to... ... well, just watch it lol.

Villi

Smash Lord
I get really disappointed when I fight a Snake who fails at this. I'm like right there trying to see if I can spike you as you explode yourself and nothing happens.

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
For 8AngeL8 (was it you?), with love. :laugh:

(Also for anyone else interested)

Steps:

1. Get grabbed like an idiot
2. Get grab released like an idiot
3. DI towards the stage and slightly down like a smart person
4. Mash B to do down-B
5. Mash B again to do down-B and blow yourself up
6. DI towards the stage
7. Tech that edge
8. Only apply this step if you missed the tech: YOU MUST RECOVER!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reVHBsNCF1I
It was for me....:p JK

Hm so this is how you do it...excellent instructions i didn't even need to watch the video that's how good your instructions were! XP

SuSa

I get really disappointed when I fight a Snake who fails at this. I'm like right there trying to see if I can spike you as you explode yourself and nothing happens.
Smarter Snake's will SDI into the stage rather then setting up an easy spike path for you.

But I'm not releasing how to properly SDI, too hard to tell people and it's my little secret. :embarrass

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Snake players remember - If they grab you, snake, yourself then you CAN c4 recover but if they grab your cypher directly you fall faster and CANNOT c4 recover :(

SuSa

@UlimateRazer

False.

If they grab you, you can recover. If they grab you AND get hit by the Cypher afterwards then they release you and you cannot recover.

(I believe 100% of the time if they DASH grab you they get hit by the cypher, rather then sitting there expecting it)

Get your facts straight you noob, you =p tsk. tsk. (I'm kidding in this last part)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Snake players remember - If they grab you, snake, yourself then you CAN c4 recover but if they grab your cypher directly you fall faster and CANNOT c4 recover :(
I posted a video example of this earlier :l

(I believe 100% of the time if they DASH grab you they get hit by the cypher, rather then sitting there expecting it)
Hm.. I never really thought about that lol. I don't think it'd be dashgrab-specific, but I guess I can see why it could be.

Anyone wanna clarify it?

SuSa

I posted a video example of this earlier :l

Hm.. I never really thought about that lol. I don't think it'd be dashgrab-specific, but I guess I can see why it could be.

Anyone wanna clarify it?
I'll be testing what causes the Cypher to hit opponents tomorrow.

Standing Grabs Characters (if any)

Dash Grabs (which one's DON'T... I'm thinking short characters and tether grabbers possibly...)

Otherwise I'm almost 100% sure it's a dash grab. Look carefully and you notice you dash grab =p

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'll be testing what causes the Cypher to hit opponents tomorrow.

Standing Grabs Characters (if any)

Dash Grabs (which one's DON'T... I'm thinking short characters and tether grabbers possibly...)

Otherwise I'm almost 100% sure it's a dash grab. Look carefully and you notice you dash grab =p
For short characters, they just have to grab as Snake's arms are passing the ledge. I thought what mattered was that Snake is lower than your character's body as you grab, so you kind of use grab's "magnet" to grab Snake and get hit by Cypher at the same time.

since I use a short character, I was under the impression tall characters couldn't, but I pulled it off with Falcon, so I don't think there's a height restriction.

Every time I've done it, it was online, so I relied on well-timed grabs done ahead of time, and they all just happened to be dashgrabs. :dizzy:

So far, definitely Falcon/Sonic/Wario (bite eats cypher? lol)

SuSa

For short characters, they just have to grab as Snake's arms are passing the ledge.

since I use a short character, I was under the impression tall characters couldn't, but I pulled it off with Falcon, so I don't think there's a height restriction.

Every time I've done it, it was online, so I relied on well-timed grabs done ahead of time, and they all just happened to be dashgrabs. :dizzy:

So far, definitely Falcon/Sonic/Wario (bite eats cypher? lol)
I did a standing grab for Falcon as you can see, and it didn't happen.

Everytime I've done it to someone, I've done a dash grab as well :laugh: so I think it's just a matter of timing a dash grab correctly.

This can be useful, or bad data to get for Snake.

If everyone knows "dash grabs will kill him, standing grabs won't" then we're in for some deep **** by people who grab us to gimp us. :urg:

Tenki

Smash Hero
I did a standing grab for Falcon as you can see, and it didn't happen.
You grabbed too late in the video.

If you have a Wii with you, try grabbing as the cypher passes your character's feet/waist.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
It works on any stage that has a ledge and a empty space underneath it.

Lrn2Snake, lol.
No need for the rude reply, I only asked because the blastzones on the bottom are different for each stage, and I believe FD has the biggest, therefore making it easier to do this.

Lrn2notbearudedouce,lol

AfroQT

Smash Master
yay if Havookk is back i think i'll start visiting these boards more.

Havokk get on aim sometime.

Top Bottom