• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Getting more info about how you guys feel on things always helps with these kinds of issues. I'm interested to see what the community feels about this.

Dedede can currently infinite CG 6 characters in the game: Bowser, DK, Samus, Mario, Luigi, and himself (off the edge). Out of those characters, the one who likely suffers the worst is DK, and the region with one of the best DK players out there, Bum, has banned D3's infinite since nearly the beginning of the game, but I don't believe there are any other regions out there that have consistently banned the infinite.

Do you believe that D3's standing infinite chaingrab should be banned?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
As I was sayig before you killed the last one. (are you able to delete it anyway?)

the main reason it isn't ban worthy is because it is restricted to those 6 characters. it isn't universal. if it were universal it would need to be proven that DDD cuold win with only the grab.

It doesn't break the game in short.

I was first ot vote and first to post ^_^

cutter

Smash Champion
As I was sayig before you killed the last one. (are you able to delete it anyway?)

the main reason it isn't ban worthy is because it is restricted to those 6 characters. it isn't universal. if it were universal it would need to be proven that DDD cuold win with only the grab.

Couldn't have said it more concisely :)

+1 to keep infinites

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Tell that to the same TO when he's stuck with 10 attendees.

Isn't this 100% in agreement with what I just said?
No, TO's have the third option to stay with the 10 attendees and stick with their old ruleset.

- For the thread:

How are you going to ban the D3 infinite? If it were me, I'd make a rule that you aren't allowed to chain-grab those characters. D-throw is in along with attacks out of Dthrow, but you can't regrab those 6 characters.

Then I'm O.K. with a ban.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
No, TO's have the third option to stay with the 10 attendees and stick with their old ruleset.

- For the thread:

How are you going to ban the D3 infinite? If it were me, I'd make a rule that you aren't allowed to chain-grab those characters. D-throw is in along with attacks out of Dthrow, but you can't regrab those 6 characters.

So its not okay to CG those characters but okay to CG everyone else?
Thats an EXTREMELY unfair rule.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
It's a tough one to call for me, but I ended up voting "yes" on the poll, for a few reasons:

Easy to do.
Relatively easy for 3D to get a grab in.
Few characters can be infinite'd by it, so 3D doesn't suffer too much from a ban.
Can't he still do the running chain grab on them? (correct me if I'm wrong)

I have other reasons, but I can totally understand why someone would want for his infinite to stay legal. This is just my opinion on it.

kr3wman

Smash Master
It's a tough one to call for me, but I ended up voting "yes" on the poll, for a few reasons:

Easy to do.
Relatively easy for 3D to get a grab in.
Few characters can be infinite'd by it, so 3D doesn't suffer too much from a ban.
Can't he still do the running chain grab on them? (correct me if I'm wrong)

I have other reasons, but I can totally understand why someone would want for his infinite to stay legal. This is just my opinion on it.
He can't do the running chaingrab on luigi.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960

That's how I look at it as well, so I said a no too.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer

That's what I thought too, along with Slayer.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
He would lose out a lot from those matchups... a big advantage can turn into a neutral matchup. DDD/Luigi might even be in favor of Luigi without the infinite.
Point taken, but still, that's to be expected when banning a game-breaking (vs. those characters at least, don't take that the wrong way) technique like that.
If MKs infinite cape was legal, all his matchups would essentially be 10-0.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord

This.
10charz

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Don't get grabbed.

And SamuraiPanda alluded to it in his initial post, but most of these infinites cannot be initiated until high damage, considering how long Dedede's pummel is.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
IDK, I still would like to see the characters be able to stand more of a chance than one grab equals death. But meh, to avoid getting infinited, you pick a stage with slopes, or play gay and make sure whenever you get grabbed you slide of the ledge. I put yes, but meh, i'm 60/40 in this.

cutter

Smash Champion
Point taken, but still, that's to be expected when banning a game-breaking (vs. those characters at least, don't take that the wrong way) technique like that.
If MKs infinite cape was legal, all his matchups would essentially be 10-0.
The infinite cape and D3's infinites are completely different things and you know it.

IDC legitimately breaks the game thanks to its stalling power; no argument there. That's why we banned it.

D3's infinites only affect a small handful of characters and not everyone like the IDC does.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The infinite cape and D3's infinites are completely different things and you know it.

IDC legitimately breaks the game thanks to its stalling power; no argument there. That's why we banned it.

D3's infinites only affect a small handful of characters and not everyone like the IDC does.
I know, you're completely right. I was just using it as an example for the matchup point. Not a fantastic point, but you get the idea :laugh:

But as far as I'm concerned those matchups are broken. While it does not break the game, it certainly breaks those matchups.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You can't side with a ban, nor oppose it, if you don't know what you're banning. If D3's infinite is banned, what will D3 no longer be able to do against these characters, as would be stated in the rules?

ColinJF

Smash Ace
And by the way, if you support banning Dedede's infinites, do you also support banning his walking chaingrab on Bowser? If so, clearly the average damage output of the move is what is important to you, not the fact that it's an infinite. And if that's what's important to you, why not ban things like using Zero Suit Samus's down smash on Fox or any number of long combos, easily initiated from a single hit?

BentoBox

Smash Master
Good thing I copied my W-O-T before replying in the other thread >_>"

And the point is, who cares? When does someone suck so much against someone else we need to start banning things? 100-0? 99:1? 90:10? And why? Why ban things just because they make a matchup virtually unwinnable? That one character is just that bad against that other one character.
Some of the most competitive regions in the states are in favor of a ban. Obviously, people do care or this wouldn't be up for discussion. The ban feels warranted for most as it IS considered too good. Bum is somewhere around #1 in his region and he mains DK. Any 6 year old could pick up D3 and smash the c-stick (set to grab) for an easy win. The whole point of playing a competitive game in the first place is to test each's skills against another's. There is no skill involved in camping for a throw on the character with the biggest non-tether grab range. Counterpicking is an important aspect of the game and anyone should be prepared to switch to another character if yours fares too badly against another, though in no case are said match ups impossible to win. D3 breaks that concept.

This was the man who implemented random tripping. Let's not give him too much credit.
True enough :p.

Not really. Nobody cares if it's a developer's oversight or not in Competitive gaming. The only thing that matters if it's "too good".
And so we agree to disagree. A lot of people do think it is indeed too good.

But we all knew he was pretty good to begin with. Not banning such stages would make him pretty much #1 or #2.
...And? You couldn't possibly be advocating the ban of stages because D3 would hence become the best character in the game :p. So what if he is? Why is his position in the tier list an incentive to apply such measures?

Because out of these 10, a many actually have bad matchups against D3 (IIRC), so he'd still have an uncontested advantage in them as well. Also, did we mention that D3 isn't the only one who can do this?

Falco can chaingrab people across the stage as well. As can anyone with a jab lock or other moving lock or some kind (D-tilt lock for Meta Knight).
Characters that cannot be CGd by D3:
Fox
Jiggly Puff
Pikachu
Olimar
Zelda
Mr. Game & Watch
Sheik
Kirby
Squirtle
Meta Knight
Falco
Luigi
ZSS

Make that 13. There are quite a few that do not do all that badly against D3. So again, why not limit the metagame to these 14 (w/ d3)?

D3's chaingrab is not percentage dependent, Falco's is. Thus, he cannot CG people across the stage like D3 can. And no lol, you can't carry someone across the stage with MK's d-tilt.

Did I call them infinites? Sheik's F-tilt lock on Fox is near impossible to SDI out of it. Sheik's F-tilt lock is a hugely unfair advantage against Fox if you consider that it makes him pretty useless against her.

Also, Samus can D-smash chain Fox for quite a while. Unfair, right?
Sheik's F-tilt lock lasts till 70~80%. That does not make the match up impossible to win for fox. It simply makes it pretty **** hard. There's a difference between hard countering a character and rendering one absolutely unviable for competitive play.

Why? Because what would we limit it to? 5 grabs? Sheik's F-tilt lock yields more damage than that. Which limit would make it "fair"?
No chaining two d-throws in a row. Simple. And hey, you get a free f-tilt ;]. B-throw deals somewhere around 18% anyways, I'm sure the D3s can cope.

And the point would be: Then what the **** would be the limit for Luigi, who can't even be running chaingrabbed but who can only be infinite (standing) chaingrabbed?!
You talk as if D3 not being able to infinite Luigi should matter much. He still has the advantage. It'll just require of him to do more than spam d-throw to 999%. Q_Q?

Technically, you cannot say 100:0 when that means the superior character will always win every single time no matter what the outcome. I'm quite sure there have been matches where infinite victims have pulled out wins against D3.

While I agree the matchups are grossly in favor of D3, so are other matchups (like Pika/Fox). :ohwell:
...D3 WILL win every single time. Seibrik sent out a challenge to anyone who would face him and manage to not get grabbed once a stock. 1 grab = 1 stock, unless the D3 sucks llamas' balls. You can even set your c-stick to grab to make it that much easier. Fox vs Pika isn't unwinnable, and afaik, the CG only goes up to 70%. That's no 999%.

For anyone that wasn't following my argument with Yuna, my point is that stages such as Eldin have been banned because of D3s being able to CG the majority (but not ALL) of the cast from one side to the other. So why couldn't we, again, apply such measures in this case? A lot of people claim that we shouldn't because it doesn't affect the whole cast. Well guess what? D3 cannot CG the WHOLE cast either! So why was a ban on Eldin warranted in the first place? What if I should decide that those 13 characters that are safe from CGs should be the only chars viable for tournament play? This is as idiotic as what you are all claiming. "Tough luck! everybody has bad matchups!" ?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

- For the thread:

So for these 6 characters, D3 isn't allowed to regrab them even once? Then why allow him to regrab anyone?

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
There is something called counter picking for a reason. Every character has their bad matchups.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
To enforce the rule, all you'd have to do is make DDD dash before regrabbing, thus a regular chain-grab. I'm not seeing how anyone think that's hard to enforce. Child's play really.

And this thread is just what it was last time. Same reasons, same counterpoints.

bobson

Smash Lord
Brief facts of the chaingrab so people don't end up asking about it every other page:

The infinite works on DK, Mario, Luigi and Samus.
It's a true infinite on DK and can be initiated from any percent and is inescapable without player error.
On Mario, Luigi and Samus, Dedede can only downthrow five times before the throw stales and can be escaped. To keep it unstaled, he has to use a pummel between each throw. It's possible to break out of the grab while Dedede's pummeling to a certain, as-of-yet undefined percent.
On Bowser, Dedede has to take a small step between each regrab. It's forced to end at the end of the stage, at which point Bowser will have taken enough damage to be easily killed out of it. This works to a lesser effect on some characters other than Bowser.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Characters that cannot be CGd by D3:
Fox
Jiggly Puff
Pikachu
Olimar
Zelda
Mr. Game & Watch
Sheik
Kirby
Squirtle
Meta Knight
Falco
Luigi
ZSS

Make that 13. There are quite a few that do not do all that badly against D3. So again, why not limit the metagame to these 14 (w/ d3)?
Just because a character cant be chaingrabbed doesnt mean that Dedede is at a disadvantage.

bobson

Smash Lord
Just because a character cant be chaingrabbed doesnt mean that Dedede is at a disadvantage.
Falco, Pikachu, Mr. Game & Watch, Kirby and Metaknight all do well against Dedede, according to the Dedede board's matchup charts. Olimar and ZSS are looking good, too.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Some of the most competitive regions in the states are in favor of a ban. Obviously, people do care or this wouldn't be up for discussion. The ban feels warranted for most as it IS considered too good. Bum is somewhere around #1 in his region and he mains DK. Any 6 year old could pick up D3 and smash the c-stick (set to grab) for an easy win. The whole point of playing a competitive game in the first place is to test each's skills against another's. There is no skill involved in camping for a throw on the character with the biggest non-tether grab range. Counterpicking is an important aspect of the game and anyone should be prepared to switch to another character if yours fares too badly against another, though in no case are said match ups impossible to win. D3 breaks that concept.
Really, it's impossible to win against D3 as any of these 6 characters? Really? Ever?

As opposed to, say, Sheik's F-tilt lock on Fox which is only near impossible to win, but that's OK, right? I mean, you only need two of them for a guaranteed win, so it shouldn't be banned.

There's really no skill in spamming Sheik's F-tilt either. There's timing, but there's timing for chaingrabbing as well.

And so we agree to disagree. A lot of people do think it is indeed too good.
A lot of people do not.

...And? You couldn't possibly be advocating the ban of stages because D3 would hence become the best character in the game :p. So what if he is? Why is his position in the tier list an incentive to apply such measures?
Stop talking, please. You're being <insert word here> and you know it.

Because D3 is not the only reason why walk-offs are banned.

D3's chaingrab is not percentage dependent, Falco's is. Thus, he cannot CG people across the stage like D3 can. And no lol, you can't carry someone across the stage with MK's d-tilt.
Did I or did I not mention the various jab locks in the game? Also, laser locks. I believe MK's D-tilt works the same way laser locks work.

Falco's CG is percentage dependent, but it's still a grab -> death at those %s. In other words, walk-offs would limit the metagame to locks and chaingrabs to death.

Walk-off overcentralizes the metagame on characters which can walk-off combo you to death. Therefore, they are banned. D3 doesn't overcentralize the game on himself as he can only infinite 6 characters.

Sheik's F-tilt lock lasts till 70~80%. That does not make the match up impossible to win for fox. It simply makes it pretty **** hard. There's a difference between hard countering a character and rendering one absolutely unviable for competitive play.
So pretty **** hard isn't enough to ban but "almost impossible" is? Where does the threshold stand? 120%? 100? 150%? No, really, where does your arbitrary threshold stand?

At 70-80%, Sheik Upsmashes, you'll probably die. But hey, it's only slightly worse than D3's infinite, so there's nothing wrong with it, now is there?

Again, where does your arbitray threshold stand? Where does something go from "pretty **** hard" to "must be banned"?

No chaining two d-throws in a row. Simple. And hey, you get a free f-tilt ;]. B-throw deals somewhere around 18% anyways, I'm sure the D3s can cope.
And this is fair, how? After all, 4 of the Big 6 Suck can be running chaingrabbed.

...D3 WILL win every single time. Seibrik sent out a challenge to anyone who would face him and manage to not get grabbed once a stock. 1 grab = 1 stock, unless the D3 sucks llamas' balls. You can even set your c-stick to grab to make it that much easier. Fox vs Pika isn't unwinnable, and afaik, the CG only goes up to 70%. That's no 999%.
Last time I checked, you do not need 999% to knock off a stock. Last time I checked, many people also employ a much lower ceiling before you have to stop infinites.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
So for these 6 characters, D3 isn't allowed to regrab them even once? Then why allow him to regrab anyone?
A very good question, but not remotely the point. The question I have and the purpose of that remark is to determine what type of ban we're voting on. Once I know how D3's infinite is going to be banned, I'll have an opinion, but this thread serves no purpose until that is established.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Where did I say that it suddenly set D3 at a disadvantage??

@Yuna: You talk about me setting arbitrary thresholds when you're doing just about the same thing with the whole "4 characters =/= the whole cast, so its ok". You've failed to answer my question. Where does the problem with D3 being #1 lie? Why is it that my "13 characters = enough" is in no way comparable to your "4 unviable characters = ok!". What is YOUR threshold concerning the number of characters needed to make this game worth playing?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No, and people should know my reasoning on this already.

Why should we be selectively banning techniques to modify match-ups? Tactics should only be banned if they massively over-centralize the game, just like characters.

What does DDD's "infinite" do? It gives him a few **** match-ups against a very select cast, that is not anywhere near enough over-centralization to justify the purposed solution.

Unlike the exclusion rule, banning should be a last resort, not our first instinct.

DDD's infinite simply doesn't effect enough characters to be anything other then give him **** match-ups, if you're fighting DDD, don't get grabbed. If you can't *shrugs*, that's why it's a bad match-up.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
A very good question, but not remotely the point. The question I have and the purpose of that remark is to determine what type of ban we're voting on. Once I know how D3's infinite is going to be banned, I'll have an opinion, but this thread serves no purpose until that is established.
I would assume it means no standing infinites. As in, if he regrabs without moving forward, it's illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom