• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHELL SHOCKED III: UMD Balboa, Maryland/VA 12/6/08- MELEE!! - BRING SET-UPS

ChuDat

Smash Master
SHELL SHOCKED III:
UMD Balboa

We (chred and rebel) of UMD did not attend tourneys at all this summer, and when I decided I wanted back on the melee scene I found out that there WASN'T a melee seen in MD/VA. Sure there are odds and ends, and Chu's(me of course) got melee singles as a side event now, but nothing particular dedicated to this game. I thought this was strange, since so many people like either melee or both games. After talking to several people and seeing that some NE guys we're wondering when another big MD/VA melee tourney will happen, we decided hell with it, we need to give the region the gift that is SSBM.
We had a great time at the last two tourneys we hosted, one melee, and one brawl. Both had a 40+ turnout, and despite mishaps, went fairly well. Those have all been taken note of and will be nonexistant this time. The most noteworthy was a miscommunication between ourselves and Azen/Mild, and heavy Maryland Day traffic causing enormous delays in the tournament schedule. As there will be no traffic, and we will strive to post and communicate the best possible directions we can give, this will not happen again.

The place: University of Maryland, College Park- Read below for more information.

The day: December 6th
The Time: Start showing up no earlier than 11. Teams will start promptly at 12:30.
We understand that you guys like your friendlies, but after our last fiasco, I want things to get going as quickly as possible. Not to mention, if we start earlier, we can do fun extra events, like crews/draft crews.
The price: $10 per person in singles, $20 per team. There is no venue fee.

Contact Info-
ChRed-Cell: 240-778-4089. Aim: ChRed2AKrisp
Rebel581-Cell: 240 672 2030. Aim Rebel58102
ChuDat - Cell: 703 989 8795 Aim Chudat87
ChivalRuse-cell: 443 847 3233 Aim: ChivalRuse

This is very important. Denton has requires a UMD honors/denton resident swipe to get in to both the building and the basement, so you can get in one of two ways. One is to give us a call, or a friend who is already in teh building. This is not 100% reliable since service is iffy in the basement. If that doesn't work, you can also tailgate into the building-that is, wait for someone who lives there and then follow them in. Everyone on campus does this so it's not like anyone cares. If you do this, then when you get to the basement just knock on the door. It's good to have our numbers anyways though, as you might have trouble finding your way onto or around campus. It's a big place.

Pot Split:
Singles
Over 40 entrants (which is what we hope to achieve)
1st-55%
2nd-25%
3rd-10%
4th-5%
5th-2.5%
Less than 40
1st-55%
2nd-25%
3rd-15%
4th-5%

Teams (regardless of number of entrants)-
1st-60%
2nd-25%
3rd-10%
4th-5%

Pot split is subject to debate.

Rules

-Best 2 out of 3, finals are 3 out of 5
-no items
-4 stock, 7 minute stock time limit
-Dave's Stupid Rule-No stage may be counterpicked if the counterpicker has won on that stage previously during the same set.
-Counterpick stage, then previous winner picks character, then previous loser counterpicks character.
-Wobbling is banned
-Stalling tactics and glitches such as the IC's freeeze glitch are banned.
-Ties are decided by stock, and if the same number of stocks remain for each player, by percent.
-Bring your own controller- just for any random person new to tourneys, this is a must. Our past couple of tourneys had several people who had no tourney experience, so I'm throwing this out there.

Singles neutral stages:

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Pokemon Stadium
* Dreamland 64
* Fountain of Dreams
* Yoshi's Story

Singles counterpick stages:

* Corneria
* Rainbow Cruise
* Jungle Japes
* Green Greens
* Mute City
* Brinstar
* DK64
* PokeFloats

Doubles neutral stages:

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Pokemon Stadium
* Dreamland 64
* Yoshi's Story

Doubles counterpick stages:

* DK64
* Corneria
* Rainbow Cruise
* Jungle Japes
* Green Greens
* Brinstar

Directions/Parking- Basement of Denton Hall
College Park, MD 20742
Map of the place: http://www.parking.umd.edu/themap/

Denton is right on the corner of University Blvd and Stadium Drive. There's a big stadium near it. On this map, it's in section J3. There is free parking in Lot 1b. Check the PDF version on that site to see what other lots are free parking, and park in one of those. If you come in on Stadium Drive, you enter a circle. Take the first turn after entering the circle, and you'll continue to lot 1b. You will pass Denton Hall on your way to the circle. It should have a big Honors banner on it. From 11:00 to around 11:50, there will be someone to help let you in. You can generally get in when someone else is entering the building. After entering the building, go down some stairs to the basement and look through the window and knock on the door. One of us will come to let you in shortly (only should apply if you tailgated in). If you can't get in, call one of our cells. Put all of our numbers in as there's a good chance one of us may not get the call due to a lack of service. One of our phones SHOULD pick up the call at some time.

A Metro stop is near our location, and a UMD shuttle will take you to the Stamp Student Union. From there, look at the map or ask a random person on campus. They will help you get to Denton Hall (or at least point you in the right direction)..

Notable locations- There is a Chevy Chase ATM close by. Leave via the front of the building, then turn left and follow the sidewalk for about 5 minutes. YOu'll see it in front of you.
You can also get food at the diner, which you get to by walking the same way you would to get to the ATM, but you turn left and walk between the Hagerstown and Ellicot Dorms (Ellicot has big banners that say Gemstones on it). The diner is in the courtyard they border.

BRING SETUPS
I cannot stress this enough. We have no venue fee for a reason. The only setups that come with the place are the ones we supply ourselves, as everyone who attended the previous tourneys will remember. This year we at UMD can supply, I'd say three or 4 setups, but everything else has to come from you guys.

That being said, current attendants-

1. ChRed
2. Aero
3. Rebel581
4. Voodoo
5. ChivalRuse
6. Wife
7. Boss
8. Korn
9. Slikvik
10. HAT
11. Thumbswayup
12. Shinku
13.EE
14.Vist
15..DOSV
16. Redd (maybe)
17. Chillindude829
18. Scar
19. Cactuar
20. Pakman
21. ChiboSempai
22. Kirbstir
23. Chudat
24. ChaosKnight
25. Rei
26. Vanz
27. Azen Zagenite
28. Chinesahh

Full Setups
1. Voodoo
2. Chival Ruse
3. REbel581
4. ChRed (might not have the TV).
5. Vist (cube, maybe TV)

ChuDat

Smash Master
Posting this a bit late, but I hope everyone new and old can attend this tournament! It will be a blast, as compared to brawl TRUST ME! haha.

If you've never been to a melee tournament, you HAVE to come for the experience omg I can't tell you how much greater it is than a brawl tournament. If you've ever been to a melee tournament, then PLEASE come and relive this era of greatness! =D.

MD/VA has NOT had a melee tournament in MONTHS now and we would like to bring this back and maybe reintroduce it to some people =). People WILL miss the old days haha.

We welcome out of staters to come and get wrecked by us >=).

PS - Obviously, I'm not the host of this tournament, just helping out =).

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Lol someone get KM to go I havent played him in like 10 years. I might go to this if I can get some NJ people to split gas with me(Sensei, Eggm etc.), gas is mad cheap nowadays

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably be coming to this, along with 1 or 2 others. We could, technically, bring a cube, but it looks like you've already got more of those than TVs, so I wouldn't guess that would help too much...

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
mm, well, if it's not very inconvenient (it's a cube >_>) just bring it anyways, in case someone does something stupid like forget a cable, or bring a TV but no cube because they thought there would be extras or something.

Also, anyone who sees this thread, the main post is not entirely up to date, we may have to hold this in La Plata. There isn't any difference at all, it's another dorm basement 2 minutes from denton. We'd prefer denton since it's easier to get into, but if we have to (which we may, apparently some morons got drunk in the denton basement and now they're monitoring it, and since we technically can't have permission to reserve it we wouldn't be able to hold it there). We have permission from an RA in La Plata though, so it's not like we don't have a guarenteed venue or anything, it's just a question of which building. It may change early saturday morning. Those of you making a long drive, even if you miss the change,just call when you're on campus and we'll tell you which building we're in.

I'm happy, it's looking like we've easily passed the 40 man mark, which is what I was originally looking at. We'll see how many people turn up.

ChuDat

Smash Master
Good ****zzz guyzzz!!!! keep it up!!!

Ck - Try and save up at least 10$ so u can enter singles! haha

Heartbreakkid - I haven't heard from KM since melee days, but i'll drop him a message. and yes, PLEASE do try and come! MD/VA needs more melee people =D.

dreadlordsanta - Glad that you guys are considering =). Hope to see you guys here!

chred - Yea let me know ASAP what is going on so I can change the first post!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Here ya go.

Rebel581 said:
We may switch to using the La Plata basement. ChivalRuse lives in La Plata and just checked the basement. I'm going tomorrow to see what it looks like, but he says that it's big enough for the tournament. He can also access the basement freely.

I was also told today that the Denton basement was off limits now because some freshman got caught with alcohol down there (stupid idiots, if you're going to drink underage don't do it in a public place). I'm not sure how legitimate this is because I was able to access the basement today (meaning this could be a total lie), but apparently they are cracking down on people using the basement unscheduled. We cannot get permission from the school to make this scheduled because there are so many people coming from off-campus. This wasn't a problem last year because nobody used the basement and they never checked. This person has told me they are checking to make sure nobody is using it (although I don't know how legitimate they are as they were wrong about me not being able to get into the basement).

In case you didn't want to read that paragraph or are confused at what this means to you, it doesn't effect the tournament at all. This tournament WILL be held. It is unconfirmed where exactly it will be located on campus. It will be in either La Plata or Denton, and this may change on very short notice. The two building are less than a 5 minute walk from each other and can both be found on the UMD Interactive Map. An answer will be up by tomorrow. The answer has the possibility of changing early Saturday morning. Make sure you know where both building are.

Just a little update. We've run this same risk with every tournament and nobody has ever given a **** about us being in the basement, so it shouldn't be a problem this time either. This is just so you guys are aware that it may become a problem and has a backup plan if it is a problem.
Also add ChivalRuses contact info, ChivalRuse-cell: 443 847 3233 Aim: ChivalRuse

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
...Wait...tournament...in melee...RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO US? Quite literally, we're in the dorm next door.
Me and Winston (Gustav_Wind on SWF) are in on this, we can bring a gamecube, copy of smash, and if needed, a TV :)
(It's too bad my game is SSB64 xD friendlies in Smash 64 anyone?)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think I'll lug my N64 and copy of SSB in case anyone wants friendlies in a game which I might not get completely owned in =)

Scar

#HarveyDent
Go to Philly next weekend for SPOC, 60+ people for a Melee tourney?? Cheap venue? HUGE PAYOUTS?? Whaaaaaat?

Click the sig for info.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Posting this a bit late, but I hope everyone new and old can attend this tournament! It will be a blast, as compared to brawl TRUST ME! haha.

If you've never been to a melee tournament, you HAVE to come for the experience omg I can't tell you how much greater it is than a brawl tournament. If you've ever been to a melee tournament, then PLEASE come and relive this era of greatness! =D.

MD/VA has NOT had a melee tournament in MONTHS now and we would like to bring this back and maybe reintroduce it to some people =). People WILL miss the old days haha.

We welcome out of staters to come and get wrecked by us >=).

PS - Obviously, I'm not the host of this tournament, just helping out =).
You're the man for hyping this. By the way, I'm new to the Melee scene.

please record lots and lots of stuff
We have some recording stuff. Ted and I have capture devices, and I have a camera.

I think I'll lug my N64 and copy of SSB in case anyone wants friendlies in a game which I might not get completely owned in =)
Yea. You ***** in Brody's tournament last month. I would enjoy a lil 64, too, actually.

EDIT:

I am thinking of bailing on going to Philly for some competitive magic to come play. This would be way more fun.
Bring your cards. One of the dudes in my residence hall, where the tournament probably will be, is an extremely good magic the gathering player ;)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
More like I SQUANDERED ;) Winston did fine. Now that I think about it, losing to random Ness was fine because we didn't have to play each other...~_~

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
More like I SQUANDERED ;) Winston did fine. Now that I think about it, losing to random Ness was fine because we didn't have to play each other...~_~
Yea Winston owned me pretty solidly with Yoshi in a friendly. You didn't do badly. Those random Ness players were pretty good. And that Pika user Polo, well...

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
So, as it turns out, I can't find my old power supply for the Gamecube anymore, so I'll have to bring the Wii instead. It might not bring out the nostalgia as well as an actual 'cube, but it's better than nothing, right?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
GO to the Atl. North thread for this, the official location is now La Plata hall. There are slightly changed directions in the first post.

Top Bottom