• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavebird lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiiKai

Smash Cadet
I i was playing with my friend today. I use a wavebird controller alot. I decided to try my friends 3rd party GBC. I noticed a big difference in my play style! I seemed to hit more with a wired controller. Is it possible that wavebird controller has some lag when it sends info the the receiver?

Dolente

Smash Cadet
To quote everyone's favourite information source:
"Due to the data being transmitted, relayed, then decoded, there is a very slight lag in button response compared to a wired controller, but not enough to be noticeable to humans or affect gameplay."

You would have to be an amazingly acute person, or have an old wavebird with some technical problems, to notice.
However, since this game is usually decided on a frame-to-frame basis, I still would never use a Wavebird in competitive play.

MiiKai

Smash Cadet
I guess my Wavebird might have some technical problems. Hard to say. I still notice very tiny lag in Luigi's aerials. I never have trusted wireless connections. I going start using my wired 3rd party controller that has two Y buttons and zero X buttons.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
To quote everyone's favourite information source:
"Due to the data being transmitted, relayed, then decoded, there is a very slight lag in button response compared to a wired controller, but not enough to be noticeable to humans or affect gameplay."

You would have to be an amazingly acute person, or have an old wavebird with some technical problems, to notice.
However, since this game is usually decided on a frame-to-frame basis, I still would never use a Wavebird in competitive play.
Wrong. There have been numerous reports (especially with playing on Wifi) of Wavebird causing immense amounts of lag. For whatever reason, the Wii just does not play nice with Wavebirds.

Dolente

Smash Cadet
Wrong. There have been numerous reports (especially with playing on Wifi) of Wavebird causing immense amounts of lag. For whatever reason, the Wii just does not play nice with Wavebirds.
If this were true, wouldn't the Wii be equally temperamental with wired GCN controllers? The only difference is the medium of signal, which is received and decoded by the receiver that plugs into the Wii, right? Does the Wii broadcast signals that interfere with the transmission or something?

ShadowNovan

Smash Cadet
I personally never noticed a difference between the two, I used to use a wavebird for a long time and only switched over when I got my wired white controller.

Since getting it I've played with a wavebird again a few times and really haven't noticed anything. The only time it made it a difference was when I was playing on this TV with a ****ty refresh rate that was laggy even with a wired controller but had more lag with a wavebird.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
If this were true, wouldn't the Wii be equally temperamental with wired GCN controllers? The only difference is the medium of signal, which is received and decoded by the receiver that plugs into the Wii, right? Does the Wii broadcast signals that interfere with the transmission or something?
You'll have to talk to the people with firsthand experience (I believe KishPrime and/or KishSquared had reports on this). I don't know all the details; I just know they confirmed that there was a distinct difference between wired controls and Wavebirds.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
WiFi, it's more pronounced for sure. If you're getting button lag, somehow the Wavebird amplifies it a bit and makes it quite a bit harder to play. Regular play, not so much...maybe a little.

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
I noticed it back when I played Melee more often. I quit using wavebirds for smash for the same reason most have: the off chance that you could be one-frame short of the finishing move or the defense against the finishing move.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I play wavebird, and it works fine. I even tested it with a reg controller and saw no diff. On wifi, I get a problem once in every 10 matches or so, but other than that...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That's only when playing Wirelessly online. Online play via LAN cable, or any offline play, you will be fine.

And that doesn't happen all the time either. I've played with my wavebird online and it didn't seem any laggier than without.

Basically, no. Wavebirds do not 'lag'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom