• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Welcome to the Pikachu Question & Answer Thread!

This thread is a place for you to ask any questions you have about Brawl Pikachu. PLEASE ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE INSTEAD OF MAKING NEW THREADS. We're always willing to help, but we want our boards to stay as clutter-free as possible.

Also, don't forget to check the FAQ below! Many questions from new Pikas are pretty common, so we've already provided answers to the ones most frequently asked.

*A few important notes........
For matchup-specific help, visit the Character Matchups & Strategies thread.

For a list of Pikachu's chaingrabs, go to the Fthrow/Dthrow Chaingrab Thread thread.

Want to watch vids of other Pika players? Need a vid of your Pika critiqued? Check out our Volt Tackle Videos thread.

Just want to introduce yourself and chat? Head to the Pikachu General Discussion.

Finally, read over the Generating A Win guide if you haven't already. It has a lot of really good info for new Pika players.

Frequently Asked Questions

BECOMING A PIKA

Q. Is Pikachu easy to pick up?
Pikachu is moderately easy to pick up but extremely hard to master.

He's a very good character, but he has some key flaws (trouble approaching and killing, light size, and lack of range to name a few) that take experience and smart playing to get around. A majority of his matchups are neutral, so to win, you really have to know your MUs and outplay your opponents. You can't simply rely on broken moves or tactics, because Pika has none.

There are also a fair number of combos and advanced techniques you will need to learn if you want to play Pika competitively.

Q. What are some good secondaries for a Pikachu main?
Meta Knight and Snake are the best secondaries for Pikachu. Other good choices are DDD, Marth, Wario, Donkey Kong, and Falco.

Q. What are Pikachu's hardest matchups?
In no particular order: Marth, Diddy Kong, G&W, and Olimar.

Need matchup advice? We have a Character Matchups & Strategies thread.

Q. What are Pikachu's best/worst stages?
Final Destination, Smashville, Halberd, and Pokémon Stadium 1 are considered to be top Pika stages. Stages with walk-offs (Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege) are good for heavy characters we can CG off the sides.

Pikachu's worst stage is Brinstar.

Stage choice is largely based on your playstyle and/or the matchup you're playing, however. Pika is extremely versatile and can be played in many different ways, so your personal tastes (platforms vs. no platforms, room to run vs. staying in your opponent's face, etc.) will affect which stages you prefer.

Visit the Official Pikachu Stage Discussion for more in-depth info. We also have a Character Specific Counterpicks/Bans thread.

Q. Where can I find videos of good Pikachu players?
Check out the video archive in the Volt Tackle Videos thread. Or search on YouTube.

Q. Who is the best Pikachu player?
Anther.

Other top Pikas include PikaPika!, Z, and ESAM. Miquel from Spain and Yonesuke from Japan are also very good.

BASIC GAMEPLAY

Q. Which is better: tap jump on or tap jump off?
It's entirely player preference whether you have tap jump on or off. There are pros and cons to each, but all of Pikachu's important techniques are possible using either control setup.

With tap jump on (default settings), QAC out of shield and jumping out of QAC are slightly easier, which can make certain techniques -- like Quick Attack Locking or simply multiple QACs in a row -- less difficult. Rising uairs, especially out of shield, are also easier with tap jump.

However, tap jump off prevents accidental jumping when you're trying to utilt/uair/QA. This can be a big relief for people who aren't used to having tap jump from Melee.

If it matters to you, most pros use tap jump on -- whether or not this is because most of them come from playing Melee, who knows. Just use whatever works best for you.

Q. Can I spam thunder/thunder jolt/dsmash? They're so good!!!
It's never a good idea to mindlessly overuse one move, because every move can be punished or avoided in some way. If your opponent keeps getting hit with the same thing over and over, they just aren't playing intelligently.

Thunder is good for edgeguarding or as a followup when you've popped someone high into the air (ex: utilt > thunder at high percentages); however, this move has a lot of cooldown lag, so spamming it can easily get you punished.

Tjolt is a pretty good projectile and allows Pikachu to camp fairly well, especially against characters who don't have a projectile of their own..... but like thunder, tjolt has a lot of cooldown, and on top of that, it doesn't travel very fast. It's not hard to perfect shield it -- or to reflect/absorb it, depending on the character. Tjolt is also a very low priority projectile, so most characters have attacks that cancel or go through it.

Dsmash is one of the easiest multihit moves to SDI out of. A good opponent will always be able to escape it before the last hit (the one with all the knockback), and they won't even take much damage. Dsmash is best used for punishing spotdodges and landings, setting up possible tech chases, and being a GTFO move.

The lesson? Nearly all of Pikachu's moves are useful in some way, but never spam one over and over.

Q. How do I do the buffered dthrow CG? Which characters does it work on?
The buffered dthrow CG is done by inputting the grab command during the last 10 frames of the previous throw. By doing this, Pikachu will re-grab the opponent on the first available frame.

Visually, you should be hitting the grab button at about the time when Pikachu's feet are touching the ground from doing the throw.

For the list of characters Pika can CG, visit the Fthrow/Dthrow Chaingrab Thread.

Q. Okay, I tried the buffered CG, but it's not working! What am I doing wrong?!
It might be one of a few things.

First, make sure you're practicing in regular Brawl mode, not Training Mode. In Training Mode, moves don't stale, and a lot of the CGs depend on dthrow getting stale.

Second, remember to just tap the grab button -- just tap it and release. If you hold the grab button for too long, you'll buffer a shield instead of a grab.

If the character you're trying to CG has a funky CG with lots of pummels or fthrows mixed in, double check to make sure you're doing it in the correct order.

Otherwise, you might just be trying to buffer too early or too late. Switch up your timing until you get into a rhythm -- remember, you need to TAP the grab button within the last 10 frames of the previous dthrow.

Q. How do I momentum cancel with Pikachu?
Fastfall uair > uncharged Skull Bash.

Skull Bash gives you a small vertical boost, so if you're hit vertically or are near the top of the screen, you might not want to use it (although so far, no one has ever KO'd themselves by using it).

MISCELLANEOUS STUFF

Q. I messed up and QA'd under the curvy part of FD, but I was able to QA again afterwards.... Was it a wall jump?
No, it wasn't a wall jump. It's just a weird glitch on FD that sometimes gives you your up b back.

Q. What is Pikachu?
Pikachu is an adorable little rat. He ain't no squirrel!

5ive

Smash Champion
I say...
Sticky this, (plus my thread :p ;))
and unsticky the old outdated ones.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
lemme start out:

OMG PIKAS DSMASH IS TOO POWERFUL. HOW DO I STOP ITS BROKENESS?

what is QAC?

i am new to pikachu. what do i do? (look at stickies etc)

K 2

Smash Lord
Do you guys want me to make a list of Frecuently Asked Questions on the OP?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Do you guys want me to make a list of Frecuently Asked Questions on the OP?
Sounds good to me.
And good thinking in making this thread. I've seen other character boards with such a thread, and it's something we've been lacking. So, props. ^^

o0gosu0o

Smash Cadet
Umm im sorta new to pika, when you do qac theres that short period of time where u can do anything, im wondering if im just getting the timing off or something, because when ever i try fair or nair or uair it doesnt do anything, when i do dair it works . If im getting the timing wrong, is there an easy way to practice qac?

K 2

Smash Lord
The hitbox for all the aerials (except dair) do not come out fast enough. You have to jump then do that aeriel.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I just picked up Pika 1 hour ago, his quack seemed fun ^.^
I can do it now, reverse thunder too, i'll have to wait for tomorow to test those tricks on my friends :p
I didn't understand that "triple/quadruple/over9000uple thunder" trick, could someone explain it or gimme a vid ?

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
triple, quadruple... thunder are just ways to edgeguard or make a wall so your opponent has difficulty recovering safely. The most you can do is probably quadruple, but not entirely useful. For triple and quadruple you must start high in the air so that when you fall down after each thunder, you can recover after the third or fourth one.

Im a bad explainer...Cant find vid right now...

K 2

Smash Lord
i Just Picked Up Pika 1 Hour Ago, His Quack Seemed Fun ^.^
I Can Do It Now, Reverse Thunder Too, I'll Have To Wait For Tomorow To Test Those Tricks On My Friends :p
I Didn't Understand That "triple/quadruple/over9000uple Thunder" Trick, Could Someone Explain It Or Gimme A Vid ?
1) Double Thunder And Triple Thunder

A) Double Thunder
- Normally Used In Edgeguarding Certain Characters (jump Off Of The Stage And Use Thunder Twice)
- Good For Stalling In The Air Or Mindgames (use Thunder Then Fast Fall An Attack To Catch Them Off-guard)
B) Triple Thunder
- Change It Up With Double Thunder And Reverse Thunder
- Jump Off Of The Stage And Use Thunder 3 Times (or Use The Quadruple Thunder Method)
- Immediately Qa Back And Grab The Ledge
- Good For Mindgames (your Opponent May Not Know When You'll Use Which Kind Of Thunder)
Triple Thunder isn't that bad. You can simple full hop off the ledge Thunder twice, double jump, Thunder again, and then recover. You will probably have to be clsoe to the ledge for this.

2) Quadruple Thunder

A) Go To The Edge Of The Stage, And Face Away From The Edge
B) Downtilt + Jump (you Should Be Flying Off The Stage) + Thunder 3 More Times, Then Recover
C) Or, Thunder 2 More Times, Jump, Then Thunder Again, And Recover
D) Highly Situational (using The 4th Thunder May Put You At Risk For Getting Edgeguarded)
E) Since You Will Have An Extra Jump, You Will Be Able To Jump And Attack Out Of The 1st-3rd Thunder And Hopefully, Be Safe
Quadruple Thunder is really flashy and useless, but still fun to know how to do. When you dtilt and jump, you get a slight backward momentum (known as the pika-slide, but also known as the electric slide =P ). Then, use Thunder 3 x's very quickly (be sure NOT to fastfall the thunder). Double Jump and Thunder, then recover.

K 2

Smash Lord
Pikachu's strengths:

small target - can avoid most projectiles by crouching and crawlilng
fairly fast running speed
great comboability
can chaingrab fastfallers and heavyweights
can't be chaingrabbed (or not for very long)
annoying ground hugging projectile
QAC is too good - he can QAL
amazing recovery
great aerial game
great grab game
strong, reliable kill moves (fsmash, usmash, thunder, nair)
he's cute - people have a hard time beating up cute things
dtaunt is broken, it can KO DDD at 0% in the middle of FD

Pikachu's weakness's

lightweight - he dies easily
His range and aerial priority is meh
tilts don't do much damage
people can SDI out of pika's dsmash really easily.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu's strengths:

small target - can avoid most projectiles by crouching and crawlilng
fairly fast running speed
great comboability
can chaingrab fastfallers and heavyweights
can't be chaingrabbed (or not for very long)
annoying ground hugging projectile
QAC is too good - he can QAL
amazing recovery
great aerial game
great grab game
strong, reliable kill moves (fsmash, usmash, thunder, nair)
he's cute - people have a hard time beating up cute things
dtaunt is broken, it can KO DDD at 0% in the middle of FD

Pikachu's weakness's

lightweight - he dies easily
His range and aerial priority is meh
tilts don't do much damage
people can SDI out of pika's dsmash really easily.
You should add that pikachu can get predictable if you don't mix up your game. You can only fair people so many times before they shield grab.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Cool, once I get some more tournament experience with him. I'm pretty sure I'll have some more questions

Edit: Wait, I have another question (sorry) How do you approach an Olimar?
  • Use Nair to get rid of ANY Pikmin on you. Otherwise they'll interfere with Skull Bash and Thundershock.
  • Keep in mind that he can use yellow Pikmin to grab or Smash you out of nearly ANYTHING.
  • All of his non-blue Pikmin die if they land in water. If you're swimming, jump and Quick Attack at the same time underwater to mess up any attempt to spike you (as infrequent they may be)
  • Don't do anything that may get you Up-Smashed. The safest approach lies between the angles of Up+B and F-Smash range.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
ok i have a question...I've been practicing my QACs recently by doing a QAC then jump a few times then a QAC>jump>aerial. Sometimes when I try this on people I'm fighting after the QAC i end up high in the air...as in really high compared to Pikachu's 2nd jump (more than halfway from FD platform to upper ceiling). Is there something that i'm doing wrong?

5ive

Smash Champion
ok i have a question...I've been practicing my QACs recently by doing a QAC then jump a few times then a QAC>jump>aerial. Sometimes when I try this on people I'm fighting after the QAC i end up high in the air...as in really high compared to Pikachu's 2nd jump (more than halfway from FD platform to upper ceiling). Is there something that i'm doing wrong?
The jump from QAC is actually the second jump. This jump can' be short hopped, so you'll always end up high. To get the best out of your aerial, do an aerial as soon as you jump (called a rising aerial)

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
The jump from QAC is actually the second jump. This jump can' be short hopped, so you'll always end up high. To get the best out of your aerial, do an aerial as soon as you jump (called a rising aerial)
You might be footstooling also.
oh right I think that was it...
Pikachu's a pretty awesome character with his QAC...i've also been learning how to approach with his tjolts which are pretty kick arse as well.
One more question...is the quick attack already cancelled if i use it directly horizontal to the ground? Because I had some moments where I QA only once horizontal to the ground an could execute a move straight after

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Someone tell me how to fight a Squirtle. His attacks come out faster and type advantage doesn't seem to help. -_-

K 2

Smash Lord
QAC -> jump -> tjolt. It covers your butt while you retreat. You can just do a double QA to escape...this is probably the easiest and safest method for retreating.

Lunar Flare

Smash Rookie
Someone tell me how to fight a Squirtle. His attacks come out faster and type advantage doesn't seem to help. -_-
my general strategy with pikachu is defensive on ground, offensive off ledges and in air. Squirtle gets beat by this quite nicely. While on the map, fight from a distance. Even in CC squirtle has a low range of hit. If you are worried about attack priority, pikachus d-smash should outspeed squirtle in all situations. Once hes backed off of you keep fighting from a distance. Dont play a run-away game, or try to out maneuver squirtle. Stay back, watch what your opponent does, and punish him as soon as the opportunity comes.

Lunar Flare

Smash Rookie
QAC -> jump -> tjolt. It covers your butt while you retreat. You can just do a double QA to escape...this is probably the easiest and safest method for retreating.
that is too predictable. pikachu shouldnt need to retreat, his attacks are high priority and can easily make an opponent back off.

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
A lot of match ups come with experience, the more you play a Squitle. The better you will do against him.
and Also look at some of the stickies :laugh:
And the same goes for him. That's why the match is so hard for me. We constantly play each other. And we both adapt on the fly except predicting what he does is harder for me.

I've looked at each stuck topic in both the Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer boards and I've been trying to pick up PT too. That helps me a little but not by much.

Lunar Flare

Smash Rookie
And the same goes for him. That's why the match is so hard for me. We constantly play each other. And we both adapt on the fly except predicting what he does is harder for me.

I've looked at each stuck topic in both the Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer boards and I've been trying to pick up PT too. That helps me a little but not by much.
read my post khanxay. if you want some serious help, then add me and ill put together a squirtle matchup guide for you.

Top Bottom