• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official G&W Stage Discussion #10: Lylat Cruise

K 2

Smash Lord
Lylat Cruise is our last neutral. I know how much you guys hate discussing neutrals, but we have to get this one done. Recently (Castle Siege, and partly Halberd), the discussion fell flat. We need everyone to contribute!!! If everyone contributes a lot in 3-4 days, we can move on and not spend a week on this stage.

Another picture:

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I can post more later, I just have problems with actually putting my ideas to paper unless someone else says something. Then I can evaluate and agree/disagree.

Don't be afraid of being stage spiked, you have an invincible recovery! Your chute is very deadly to the other players though. You can go way out and edge guard, and then be dangerous on the way back (if they recover low, you should force them to do this =O )

Also, chute kills very early on the sides if you push them way out. I feel like the sides of this stage are tiny, but I think it is mainly a placebo and they are almost regular...

Edit: Nair through the platforms like always guys

K 2

Smash Lord
Zamus is really good on this stage. Snakeee (ZSS) CP'd this stage against DSF at the ECRC. The Lylat Trio get gimped here all the time.

Learn not to get gimped by this stage...

The platforms are short enough for G&W's dthrow techchase, like BF.

Can you dair someone through the bottom platform and stage spike them? I.E. They ledgedrop and try to hit you through the platform. You dair them and get stage spiked? haven't tested this out.

If you didn't notice, the stage tilts O.o

This stage might help against projectile users. The tiltness will make most projectiles go into the stage or go over your head.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Learn to sweetspot the ledge, nubs.
My point was that if someone is DIing towards the stage, and you missed a dair, you can fly back up and chute em before they touch the ledge, turning the DI against them.

Neb

Smash Lord
Gagh!
I wasn't talking to you, Phloat!
I wasn't talking to anyone in particular, ><".
Jeepers, lol!

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Don't call me a nub Neb >:|
I will post my thoughts sometime later, but I may not tonight. Too busy playing Left 4 Dead!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I don't think any character actually has trouble recovering here so much as a lot of players have massive personal problems with this stage. Mr. Game & Watch definitely has zero problems recovering here if you're smart.

Anyway, the low platforms here are amazing for the key and the fishbowl, but some other characters (such as Ike) can take advantage of the platform layout well too. This stage can sometimes form a "tunnel" effect like Yoshi's Island Brawl that can make it hard to approach projectile users, but good positioning can minimize that. The tilting really doesn't matter that much either way; nothing Mr. Game & Watch has is particularly helped or hurt by the tilting stage.

Ledge stalling at first seems bad here, but it's actually pretty good. The big thing is that you can fishbowl through the stage near the edge which can catch people off guard and expands your options. It's really hard and risky to do for prolonged periods of time, but it's worth getting down.

Against Snake in particular, watch out for the hidden C4 on the middle platform. It's quite the gimmick, and players who lack care are going to get blown up a lot. Paying attention is a good counter for this though.

I'm not sure I have much else to say about this stage; it doesn't really offer that much unique for Mr. Game & Watch. I don't like it as much as Battlefield, Delfino, or the Halberd, but I'd probably generally take it over Smashville and definitely would take it over Final Destination, Yoshi's Island Brawl, and Pokemon Stadium 1 (also over Castle Siege if you want that as a 9th neutral in a really liberal list). For strike outs, that means in practice I would never strike it, but it's not the top of what I would be excited over. I really can't imagine ever counterpicking this stage, and it's not worthy of a stage ban. I'd rate it 5/10 for all that.

K 2

Smash Lord
This is a neutral, so its not going to offer any super advantages for any character. A LOT of people hate playing on this stage, so you might be able to take advantage of that (though they probably will strike this stage out.) I would suggest everyone to take five minutes to learn how to not get caught under this stage. I've seen so many people get gimped by this stage.

hmm...do you guys like to ledgecamp on this stage and play defensive, or do you like to take control of the middle portion of the stage and put pressure on your opponent?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
This is a neutral, so its not going to offer any super advantages for any character. A LOT of people hate playing on this stage, so you might be able to take advantage of that (though they probably will strike this stage out.) I would suggest everyone to take five minutes to learn how to not get caught under this stage. I've seen so many people get gimped by this stage.

hmm...do you guys like to ledgecamp on this stage and play defensive, or do you like to take control of the middle portion of the stage and put pressure on your opponent?
I hate it, but when I do play it is usually fighting for the middle. Ledgecamping just isn't something I do though.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
certainly excellent platform pressure, probably good against projectile characters like toon link, link, falco, and def diddy, agree? i probably wouldn't want to play this against zss mainly because the dsmash gets deadly on platforms so low.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I personally hate diddy on this stage.
Most diddy's have it in their heads to go straight to FD or smashville but the platforms offer diddy a whole new banana game. Diddy can pick up a banana fastest from a platform IIRC and this can ruin options like a platform dthrow. A bunch of diddy players are beginning to favor the smaller stages like BF and LC over the traditional FD.

I hate this stage just because I always seem to DI just too far when recovering low and get hit by that lip :p
Just a personal thing though... I've never taken the time to learn the stage when it comes to recovery ><

K 2

Smash Lord
The lip shouldn't kill you...the game's been out for 9 months.
hmm...I'm not too up to date with diddy's metagame. I'm glad you mentioned diddy's transition from large stages to smaller stages.

Characters to watchout for? Ratings? Strategies?

Vinnie

Smash Master
6/10. nair through platform, pretty big for bucket braking... nothing special about this stage, I'll say it's a little above neutral.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I guess it's not a crime to bump these topics. It's probably better than making a new thread for this.

I was playing around with key through platforms, and it's amazing here. It varies depending on stage tilt and where exactly on the uneven ground your opponent is standing (those engines being slightly elevated helps you out), but just look at this list of characters you can hit. The first group can be hit under all three platforms, the second group can't be hit under the middle platform, and the last group can't be hit at all. A lot of them are kinda tricky to get, but the fact that it's possible is pretty cool.

Side and center:

Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, R.O.B., King Dedede, Captain Falcon, Charizard, Marth, Ike, Snake

Side only:

Mario, Luigi, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Wario, Toon Link, Ice Climbers, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Ness, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, Sonic

Neither:

Kirby, Meta Knight, Olimar

I think Lylat Cruise is better for Mr. Game & Watch than initially rated. I like it better than Battlefield now.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I've always liked Lylat. One thing you should probably check is if the Usmash can hit above a person on the platform here. I have hit Colin on the middle platform using G&W's Usmash before, and I have done the same to a DK before, but in that case he was teching.

Noa.

Smash Master
Lylat has always been my favorite neutral. The platforms are perfect for nair. Also, the platforms on battlefield, I don't feel like they give me enough space. I like to approach from a variety of angles, and the way battlefield is setup just doesn't work for me. Personal preference.

Whenever I pick this stage in tourney, I tend to do amazing. I remember taking a stock off a pit in 20 seconds with only 14 damage myself. One of my overall favorite stages.

Top Bottom