• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussion #18: Diddy Kong

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I use to believe (like 4-5 months ago) that Diddy beat Toon Link.

But then people starting using the Z-air. I'd give it to Toon Link, but just barely (55-45, 60-40ish).

ADHD

Smash Hero
Yeah, spamming doesn't work for long. You can't just spam him forever, he can side b through it and approach patiently power shielding and with running shields. Toon link can be punished if he spams short hops to space the spamming by running usmashes and sometimes fairs/peanuts. Basically it's a very slow and annoying matchup for both sides. Toon link has the slight advantage, use moar bombs as well. Bombs stop his side b and are sometimes more of a hassle than arrows or boomerangs.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Anyone else notice it says "Diddy's Kong"? Unless its a quest for Kong...its wrong. >_>
Lets just get the info down and worry about ratios later.

Well anyway, Zair does make a big difference in this match up. Mainly because you can catch bananas with it AND space at the same time.

I think TL is one of the easiest characters to gimp Diddy's recovery with. Any of his projectiles used the right way can stop both is Side-B and Up-B. The method I see a lot wold be to arrow the Side-B and throw a bomb or boomerang at him while hes charging Up-B. Tether hogging is also very important for gimping his recovery.

Not letting Diddy control the level is key. You don't want him running around throwing bananas at you. You should separate him from his bananas whenever you can and not give him breathing room to pull any more out. Its probably better to throw bananas away from him or up because TL doesn't have much of a follow up when you hit Diddy with a banana. Its not worth risking him shielding and catching it again.

All I got. >_>

iRjOn

Smash Lord
What Sasuke said I have alittle diddy experience my friend mains him.

I say stay in the air unless shielding or something is needed.
If he has a nanner at hand I wouldn't advize rolling at all cause the nanner will probally hit you followed by something else.
Diddy having Nanners on the stage gives off alotta mental pressure you gotta keep kool o.O...
but any way zair works wonders.
nair being T.Links quickest aerial catches nanners kinda easy same for bair...

Thats all I got for T.Link atm

QUIVO

Smash Master
Yea airdodge to zair can be good, but once the diddy figures out he can see it coming then he can glidetoss OOS after he shields the zair.

Um from my experience:

- Shield the glidetoss banana. He's either going to dash attack or grab. I would jump away oos, airdodge, and zair to counter the dash attack. You can do this for grab as well.

- When he throws the bananas out, you can just jump and grab the banana with nair or airdodge + zair. The best option IMO is to throw them away, but you can try using them against him, especially at killing percent since you can get him with a banana then Usmash.

- He's most vulnerable after a glidetoss and getting bananas out (or when they're gone).

- Watch out for recovering, especially going low. AZ has been trying to charge his up b to spike me, it rarely works, but it can happen.

- Ban FD. It's possible to win, but it's completely in his favor. As for picking a stage against him, I like battlefield. If I already played and won, and he banned that. Then I'll choose rainbow cruise. Experiment with it. Perhaps Brinstar?

I'll get more later, there's just so much to this matchup

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Why don't you mix up your use of zair, use it early, don't use airdodge, stuff.
Of course I have no experience I have never been to a tourney -_-

cougarsrule08

Smash Rookie
This has already probably been said, but it is crucial to stay in the air as much as possible. TL's nair and bair makes diddy's air game be neutralized. A big part of his combo game relies on aerials, so if you are able to pull out a quick nair that should break the combo. If he get a nana out and you get it, the best for me is throwing it off stage. That gets rid of it and diddy has to take the time to get another nana out which screws up his timing.

Diddy is all about momentum. When he gets on a roll, you have to find a way to stop it. If you can stay spaced correctly, the zair outranges his fair (one of his best aerials). Already been mentioned, but the zair is a pain for diddy because it outreaches his moves and catches his nanas. Don't overuse it though or it will start to get predictable and he will punish you. Other possibilities is to have a bomb in your hand. Even if it blows up on you it should blow up on him because diddy has to be close to get combos off.

If you get off the stage versus a diddy, you have to be aware of the spike. Diddy has three although the barrel spike is harder to pull off. His down air is his go to spike. With TL's recovery, it is a lot easier to avoid these spikes than with other characters. TL's DI is very important here. His final spike ( I guess you could call it a spike) is his over b which latches onto you and then he jumps off your head for the kill.

And mix up your approaches. Don't always short hop or running upsmash etc etc. Diddy can easily shield-grab which leads to throws and many more combos. Try at all costs not to Dair Diddy because the lag that ensues if you miss allows for an easy nana-utilit-utilt-followed by aerials. Unless at all certain of a hit, do not use dair. His two killing moves are fair and fsmash. When at higher percentages, look for these moves to be used to go for the kill. Utilt is also capable of killing, but that is at a higher percentage than fair and fsmash.

I know I am not an established Toon Link by any means, but any time I play offline, I play a Diddy (Count). So I have plenty of experience against him. And one of the better ways to tick them off and get them off there game is projectile them to death.

This being said, it is hard to do all these things, but you basically have to make sure at all costs that the Diddy doesnt get on a roll, or else it becomes really tough to stop before you have accumulated 60% damage or so.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Are we done here peoples?

I guess I'd say CP Delfino can help sometimes. Of course Delfino does leave you exposed to some odd tricks now and then. Battlefield is good since it's smaller and has platforms so you're less exposed to bananas as Quivo said.

So 55:45 Toon Link's favor?

Top Bottom