• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Control (essential smash skill)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Match Control is an extremely important element of being successful in smash. In order to ensure that you're going to come out ahead, you have to be in control of the match. "Match Control" refers to anything you do to ensure that you maintain in the advantageous position during a game. The major types of match control are zoning, pressuring, stage control, and tempo. I will break down what each of these are, and how they relate to playing brawl successfully through match control.

Zoning
Roughly speaking, zoning is the act of using movement and attacks to cut off options of your opponents while attempting to keep yourself safe. Proper zoning often involves aerials right before landing, aerials right after jumping, ingenious use of platforms, moving around sections of the stage, and often advancing with an aerial, and retreating with another (or with the same one). A common example of Zoning is a marth jumping forward with a fair (covering him while he advances), and then retreating in his short hop with a second fair (covering him while he's retreating/ landing). Zoning is a critical type of Match Control because it limits what your opponent can do. If they can do less, then they have less options that can hurt you, thus keeping you at the advantage.

Pressuring
Pressuring is the act of putting your opponent in a bad spot in hopes that they will mess up and leave themselves vulnerable. Pressuring often implements specific forms of zoning to "put your opponent on the spot", making it seem like you can hurt them, while it either looks like you're vulnerable when you're not, or it looks like you're not vulnerable when you are. Common types of pressuring involve using projectiles to pin down an opponent, zoning aerials at their max range against your opponent's shield/ max range, or otherwise just being in a position and stance threatening an attack. Pressuring is an important aspect of Match Control since it forces your opponent to make quick decisions where they lack all the information (like what you're going to do next), and increases the chances that they will make a mistake and you will be able to punish them. If your opponent is more likely to make a punishable mistake, you're in the advantage and controlling the match.

Stage Control
Sort of a mix between zoning and pressuring, stage control is ensuring that you move more freely around the stage than your opponent. Common types of Stage control include grenade camping, pushing someone to the edge of the stage, or blocking off areas of approach via projectiles. If you can move more freely about the stage, you're clearly at the advantage, and are controlling the match.

Tempo Control
This is when you force the match to be played at the speed and rhythm you desire. This is done through specific types of zoning, projectile use, or just by moving around. There are several reasons why this is advantageous. One advantage is that your opponent must succumb to the speed you set, if they can't cope with it, they'll perform worse and leave openings for you to exploit. Another big advantage to controlling the tempo is that you can switch it around at will if you're good enough at it (and your character has the tools necessary to do so). This can throw opponents off balance and keep them that way, obviously keeping you in the advantaged situation.

Through the use of Zoning, Pressuring, Stage Control, and Tempo Control, you can aquire and maintain Match Control, an essential position to be in to be successful at smash.

Grunt

Smash Master
It's sad that these threads sink while we constantly bump the "Will MK be banned?" threads.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
The best way to gain control of a match is to develop and practice strategies that can crush the mindset of an experienced player that is Zoning/Pressuring you.

For example, when Marth F-airs with forward momentum at Fox, Fox can often work the spacing so that he can simply up-smash him out of shield, and from there go for a grab or aerial. Since Marth just took possibly more than 30% from trying to Zone, he'll hesitate next time he jumps, and Fox can take control of the tempo and zoning game from there.

How many times have you said "Oh ****?" during a match? How many of those games did you win?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
For example, when Marth F-airs with forward momentum at Fox, Fox can often work the spacing so that he can simply up-smash him out of shield, and from there go for a grab or aerial. Since Marth just took possibly more than 30% from trying to Zone, he'll hesitate next time he jumps, and Fox can take control of the tempo and zoning game from there.
Only that only works if the Marth is really ****ty.

Seriously Upsmash to grrab/aerial combo in Brawl...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for posting this.

I've got a group of friends that I'm trying to help play this game correctly. Their immediate thought when they see an opponent is to hit them. There's much more strategy to it though. I was going to explain some of these things, but I'll just show them this thread instead. :)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
There's probably a sticky that links to all the other good threads that could be stickeyed, but can't be. These could go in there. And take up a full section of that sticky lol.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
that's the one. By "probably a stickey" i knew there was one, but i felt like wording it that way lol.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Match Control is an extremely important element of being successful in smash. In order to ensure that you're going to come out ahead, you have to be in control of the match. "Match Control" refers to anything you do to ensure that you maintain in the advantageous position during a game. The major types of match control are zoning, pressuring, stage control, and tempo. I will break down what each of these are, and how they relate to playing brawl successfully through match control.

Zoning
Roughly speaking, zoning is the act of using movement and attacks to cut off options of your opponents while attempting to keep yourself safe. Proper zoning often involves aerials right before landing, aerials right after jumping, ingenious use of platforms, moving around sections of the stage, and often advancing with an aerial, and retreating with another (or with the same one). A common example of Zoning is a marth jumping forward with a fair (covering him while he advances), and then retreating in his short hop with a second fair (covering him while he's retreating/ landing). Zoning is a critical type of Match Control because it limits what your opponent can do. If they can do less, then they have less options that can hurt you, thus keeping you at the advantage.

Pressuring
Pressuring is the act of putting your opponent in a bad spot in hopes that they will mess up and leave themselves vulnerable. Pressuring often implements specific forms of zoning to "put your opponent on the spot", making it seem like you can hurt them, while it either looks like you're vulnerable when you're not, or it looks like you're not vulnerable when you are. Common types of pressuring involve using projectiles to pin down an opponent, zoning aerials at their max range against your opponent's shield/ max range, or otherwise just being in a position and stance threatening an attack. Pressuring is an important aspect of Match Control since it forces your opponent to make quick decisions where they lack all the information (like what you're going to do next), and increases the chances that they will make a mistake and you will be able to punish them. If your opponent is more likely to make a punishable mistake, you're in the advantage and controlling the match.

Stage Control
Sort of a mix between zoning and pressuring, stage control is ensuring that you move more freely around the stage than your opponent. Common types of Stage control include grenade camping, pushing someone to the edge of the stage, or blocking off areas of approach via projectiles. If you can move more freely about the stage, you're clearly at the advantage, and are controlling the match.

Tempo Control
This is when you force the match to be played at the speed and rhythm you desire. This is done through specific types of zoning, projectile use, or just by moving around. There are several reasons why this is advantageous. One advantage is that your opponent must succumb to the speed you set, if they can't cope with it, they'll perform worse and leave openings for you to exploit. Another big advantage to controlling the tempo is that you can switch it around at will if you're good enough at it (and your character has the tools necessary to do so). This can throw opponents off balance and keep them that way, obviously keeping you in the advantaged situation.

Through the use of Zoning, Pressuring, Stage Control, and Tempo Control, you can aquire and maintain Match Control, an essential position to be in to be successful at smash.
This can all be summed up by "do moves". :bee:

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
How can it not be summed up by my declaration? Doing moves correctly does indeed equate to "doing moves". That is not to insinuate that by "doing moves" you are not susceptible to incorrectly doing said moves, and I didn't anywhere imply that weren't the case.

tl;dr To do moves correctly, one must do moves.

get *****, fgt :bee:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
conversely,
doing moves correctly is a necessary and sufficient condition for my analysis
while doing moves is necessary, it is not sufficient, and therefore "doing moves" is not a necessary and sufficient condition and hence, not an adequate representation of my analysis.

gg l2logic

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
conversely,
doing moves correctly is a necessary and sufficient condition for my analysis
while doing moves is necessary, it is not sufficient, and therefore "doing moves" is not a necessary and sufficient condition and hence, not an adequate representation of my analysis.

gg l2logic
I wasn't referring to your aspirational logic, sir, and I believed that was clear. Obviously, that is not the case. I was simply debunking the massive amount of facts and logic (/sarcasm) that BB put into his well thought out response.

"Doing moves" may not be an adequate representation, but it is a representation, and that is inarguable, which is what BrawlBro (rifkers) was attempting to do.

ggnore check out this cool site, bro:
http://www.rhlschool.com/reading.htm :bee:

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Stage Control
It's a good enough measure of your control in the match, but it bears mentioning that it's not necessarily the ideal to be able to "move freely" everywhere on the stage.

Your potential to do things you don't actually want to do is quite irrelevant. Indeed, trading in your freedom to go places that are inferior positions in exchange for the freedom just to go exactly where you want, would seem to be an exquisite option.

That is, I'm saying that a person surely is in a good place whose freedom is limited to one path, if yet that is the path of victory.

Just some food for thought.

Tempo Control
This is huge.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Using Ganondorf's D-Air when foe is on other side of FD = doing moves

Using Ganondorf's D-Air to slam a foe into the abyss = doing moves correctly

???

Hughalicous

Smash Apprentice
Using Ganondorf's D-Air to slam a foe into the abyss still = doing moves
He was technically correct saying you need to do moves, cause wtihouut doing moves, you can't do moves correctly. The correctly part is a neccessary addition, which makes what you said right, but not what he said wrong

Awsome thread, thanks much lots

Uffe

Smash Hero
I really need to work on my pressuring. I know for sure I was doing that to a D3 main tonight. I could totally see him struggling to attack me because after that he was just spamming and playing defensively.

M@v

Subarashii!
Only that only works if the Marth is really ****ty.

Seriously Upsmash to grrab/aerial combo in Brawl...
Yeah, marth outzones the #### out of fox. Fox has to pressure marth to approach, and use a combination of shielding and speed to counter marth's aerial spacing. Most marths I play dont know the matchup too well, so I win easily, but the ones that do are a ##### to fight.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
How can it not be summed up by my declaration? Doing moves correctly does indeed equate to "doing moves". That is not to insinuate that by "doing moves" you are not susceptible to incorrectly doing said moves, and I didn't anywhere imply that weren't the case.

tl;dr To do moves correctly, one must do moves.

get *****, fgt :bee:
Enjoy your infraction for the "fgt".

Furthermore, that's like arguing answering "The one in a glass" to "Which one of these 10 drinks is not poisonous" when all 10 drinks are in glasses. It's too general and the majority of the times, employing this "answer" could and would make you "incorrect".

"Do moves" does not necessarily mean "Do more correctly". It could just as well mean just doing moves for the heck of it, spamming.

It's like saying "Play Smash" is the answer to how to be a top level smasher. Or "Press buttons" is the instructions for snakedashing.

Yeah, marth outzones the #### out of fox. Fox has to pressure marth to approach, and use a combination of shielding and speed to counter marth's aerial spacing. Most marths I play dont know the matchup too well, so I win easily, but the ones that do are a ##### to fight.
Read this again:
In Brawl, someone claimed Fox can combo Upsmash into grab or an aerial. Yeah...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The irony is that "do moves" isn't always even correct. If you're on the Ike side of Ike v. Captain Falcon and are up about 80%, the best course of action is to not do any moves, to simply walk toward the best part of the stage, and to attempt to play reactively which means doing nothing if Captain Falcon does nothing.

It's really a part of a more general principle of "make the match about what you want it to be about". If you're Sonic against Marth, your odds of winning are far better if the match is about who can quickly execute moves in close quarters than they are if the match is about who can carefully space the best. Your choices as you play should attempt to not only win the individual conflicts (be they over spacing or close range combat) but to mold future conflicts into the type of conflicts in which you excel. This topic is nice; it addresses several factors that are very useful to mold the course of conflicts. Stage control lets you move combat to the areas on the stage in which your strengths are more exaggerated, pressure/zoning removes options from the opponent which limits them into challenging you on your own terms, and tempo control is the selection of the speed at which your individual strengths most shine over those of your adversary.

Top Bottom