• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MetaMindgame Spam

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Meta. Mindgame. Spam. This is the ultimate strategy.

But first of all, how did I come up with it? I watched a couple of Luke vs. Eddie sessions, a few videos where Gimpyfish is talking, had a conversation with a friend about Metahumor (laughing because there is no joke), and visited a couple of threads complaining about how much the term "mindgames" has been overused to the point where it essentially means nothing.

So here's the strategy:

1) Consider every single thing you do (or don't do for that matter) to be a mindgame.

2) Call out each one of your "mindgames".

3) ????

4) Profit.

And now here's an example scenario:

Your lame friend is using Metaknight and he just Tornadoed you. What do you do?

You say something like: "HAH! I'm mindgaming you!"

and he says "WTF? I'm beating you, Rtard"

and then you say "EXACTLY."

and then he's all thinking in his head "Holy crap! He knew I was going to Tornado him and he let himself get hit by it! There's treachery afoot!"

So, suitably panicked, he runs away and starts ledgecamping, hoping to death that he can win by percentage, and thinking that ledgecamping will keep him safe from your overwhelming tactical superiority. But do you know what you do next?

You stand there. And you say: "OH ****!! I'm just standing there! What now?!"

And he starts to think: "Oh teh noes!1 He just rendered ledgecamping useless!!!"

Now for a more indepth forray into the step-by-step process, theoretically speaking:

First of all, everything you do is a mindgame. Second of all, calling your moves out is a mindgame. Calling out a mindgame for the purpose of mindgaming is Metamindgaming. Now, all you need to do is constantly Metamindgame throughout the match to spam it.

This tactic is the equivalent of Wavedashing and L-cancelling COMBINED. Why? It pretty much evens out the roster.

Metaknight is spamming Tornado? Counter spam with Metamindgames ("Hah! Knew you were going to do that. Did you see how I DIDN'T block that? Know why? You're about to find out!)

Snakedashing problems? Metamindgames. ("Wow, you sure go fast when you do that. You know where you just Snakedashed? RIGHT INTO MY MINDGAME!")

Did you just accidentally SD? Metamindgames ("Did you see how I just killed myself? Bet you're feeling confident now. You're growing complacent. Cocky. Now it's just a matter of time until you slip up. It's inevitable. And once you do, I'll strike.")

For Character-Specific Metamindgames, go
here.

For Metamindgamespam Counters (which just so happen to be MOAR metamindgamespam), go here.

The Tier List is hereby broken. Enjoy the rapidly changing face of the Brawl competitive scene.

Join the movement.

JCav

Smash Lord
i can punish that bad metaknight character all day now

not really... :(

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Did you just accidentally SD? Metamindgames ("Did you see how I just killed myself? Bet you're feeling confident now. You're growing complacent. Cocky. Now it's just a matter of time until you slip up. It's inevitable. And once you do, I'll strike.")

Win.

This is the best one here.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
lol@overwhelmingpositivefeedback.

shouldn't someone be annoyed that I had the gall to post something like this in the Tactical Discussion Board?

P.S.: When M2K uses MetaMindGame Spam my purpose in life will be complete.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
@Melomaniacal:

O RLY?

Well that's great. I don't claim to have invented it. I just claim to have created a thread for it with a fancy name and stupid examples that people like to sig.

Now go forth, and spread this wisdom. We shall make a New Brawl Order, where fortunes will be made and lost, and legends will be born, and the best Metamindgame Spammer shall be the last one standing.

Alone, triumphant, reveling in his victory and in the broken, shattered, metamindgamed corpses of his foes and the ruins of their reputations. It is a lonely place, up there at the top. The road that leads to it is full of obstacles, tournaments, broken controllers, and gratuitous amounts of trashtalk.

But do not despair. Do not give up. The day will come, when our ranks will swell. The day will come, when ledgecamping and Tornados will no longer be feared, but laughed at. We will no longer cringe away from the dark, the overpowered, the campy. We will no longer fall to transcendant priority, disjointed hitbox, and nigh-lagless attacks.

Those decadent, outdated fools who rely on such to rule will tremble at our Metamindgame-Spamming might and fall forever into obscurity. Their tournament results will be naught but a distant memory, a relic from the past. Fossils from aeons ago.

I could keep going but I won't. Purple prose ftw!

K 2

Smash Lord
Dude, you need to write more guides. You are revolutionizing brawl's metagame.

too good.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
I'm toying with the idea of adding on a subsection focusing solely on how to deliberately mis-time Counters for the purpose of Metamindgaming. That, and spamming projectiles in the opposite direction of your foe.

Still working on the Dialogue Templates for said situations.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Something I definitely need to do is play more Team Battle. I haven't played Team Battle since fully developing Metamindgame Spam. I need to teach a friend how to do it, so we can not only team up in Metamindgame Spamming the opposing team, but each other as well.

That would make it Intrametamindgame Teamspamming. Not only do we turn our mistakes into mindgames, we will turn our intentional Friendly Fire into a mindgame, and let the other team know it.

It'll probably be more hardcore banned than Wobbling.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
@Melomaniacal:

O RLY?

Well that's great. I don't claim to have invented it. I just claim to have created a thread for it with a fancy name and stupid examples that people like to sig.
Not trying to take credit for anything. Just saying, I mindgames people in this fashion constantly. I normally yell "mindgames'd" after, though.

I could never have put this AT in better words, though.
Although, AT is not fitting for such a technique. It's closer to an AAT.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
so true, so true.

I should go to every character matchup thread, and every "OMG METAKNGIT IZ TEH BROKENZORZ!!!1one" and make a post saying "Metamindgame Spam."

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Couldn't mindgames get countered with mindgames. It is much more complicated on paper.
Well, you need to out mindgames your opponent with more mindgames. Example:

"Mindgame'd!"
"No, I saw that coming, and now you'll pay."
"No you didn't"
"...oh."

Then you three stock him.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
You counter mindgames by NOT countering them, then telling your opponent that you did.

But yeah, I would be apprehensive about playing a 1-on-1 with another Metamindgame Spammer. I've never done it before.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You counter mindgames by NOT countering them, then telling your opponent that you did.

But yeah, I would be apprehensive about playing a 1-on-1 with another Metamindgame Spammer. I've never done it before.
But wouldn't that lack of mindgames-ing constitute a mindgame?
Or would this double-reverse mindgames-ing be considering mind-blowing?

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
New subcategory:

Compulsory Preemptive Mindgame:

Warning your opponent in advance that you are going to mindgame and/or metamindgame them. This results in an automatic mindgame because whether or not they believe you, they are still mindgamed.

Example:

You: I'm going to mindgame you!

Friend: I'd like to see you tr- Crap. You just did, didn't you?

You: No I didn't.

Friend: What? Yes you-- DANGIT!!!

*gets 4-stocked during your 3-stock game*

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Ooooooooorrr you could play Melee where mind games are relevant.
That's just ludicrous. If I was playing Melee, how would I be able to use such awesome Brawl-only mechanics such as tripping for my Metamindgame spamming?

EDIT:

I take that back. Melee has its own bag of goodies. I could attempt a Wavedash at the ledge for an SD-related mindgame.

I'll call Melee and Brawl as even in terms of metamindgame spam potential.

MOAR EDIT:

Curses! Popertop already metamindgamespammed that one dumb-looking Metaknight thread! I feel like I missed out....

Top Bottom