• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstyles

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Something else I noticed a lack of around here, talk of styles. There are two major styles that one can play in brawl: the Aggressor and the Defender. It's critical that you understand how both operate, so that you know how you're supposed to be thinking, and just as importantly, how your opponent is supposed to be thinking. I've given a basic definition of both styles here and I go over the general thought process and strategy for using that style for beating the other style.

[The Defensive Style]
This player tries to force his opponent to come to him, and exploit the weaknesses of that approach. This player will often employ projectiles to force specific angles of approach (i.e. on platforms, sh air dodge -- SHAD is a ******** term, dash into shield, etc...) and then attempts to counter that approach angle through shielding or moving out of the way, or counterhitting attacks, dodging or moving out of the way of grabs, and grabbing shields. It is important for this type of player to be able to keep track of previous approach attempts through a certain projectile/ movement patter. It is also critical to have a reasonable reaction time to play defensively, since your goal is to have the perfect counter for their approach. It's best to wait for you to be sure they've committed to something before you commit to punishing it, making sure what you're doing is safe and effective. This style of play focuses on figuring out what you can do to make it hardest on you opponent to approach (where hardest = most prone to make a mistake/ be repetitive), and once they do approach, have a good idea what they're going to do when they get there, have a counter prepared, but also be watching for differences in their approach, as they're likely to mix up their approaches as best they can.

[The Aggressive Style]
This player plays a big giant game of Yomi (if you're unfamiliar with the term look up Sirlin's book on playing to win). Basically you have different options to approach with, with varying risk/reward combinations. You get to have fun figuring out the patterns of the defensive player and trying to exploit them. If they keep camping the same way, it's easy to get around. If they expect you to do one thing, mix it up and do something with a bigger risk & reward since they're less likely to see it coming. The main game of the aggressive player is to try to guess right every time by exploiting human thought patterns. Most approaches in brawl are heavily committing, leaving you with holding up (DI) when you realized you've messed up, since you know they get a free hit. Other options on less risky attacks include following with a fast move for a frame trap, or dodging/ rolling/ shielding to try to avoid a bad end and having to restart from day 4. Many players on defense have a tendency to do their defense in iterations, often times leaving them vulnerable at the start/end, when they try to change. If possible, try to vary your speed of approach as much as you can during a given approach and between approaches. Throwing of the Defensive player is the whole goal of being the aggressor: throw off the defensive player, hit with the best attack I can.

Obviously, you're not likely to play just one of these styles, and you're likely to switch between the two frequently in matches when it's advantageous to do so. It's important to recognize when you're doing the wrong style. For instance, if you're trying to play defensive, but they're out camping you, or you have no solid way to make them approach and they're pressuring you, you probably have to switch to aggressive until you can reset the game state. Alternatively, if the defensive player's just got a total fix on your approaches, try playing defensive for a bit and forcing them to approach. Oftentimes it takes camping right outside the enemy's range for an aggressive player to effectively switch to defense. It's key to recognize what style you should be playing at any given moment, based on player matchup, character matchup, stage, and current game state. If you ever find yourself doing worse than you should be try switching styles, oftentimes it'll help.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
If you don't want to read it, don't post.

TL:DR version:

Defensive: spammy camp
Offensive: no breathing room

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Have you recently gained a ton of free time?
TL; DR
The other thing. I'm completely out of free time. I'm crammed packed full of allnighters doing final projects/papers with no spare time. That's why i write these to take breaks. If that doesn't make sense, it's because i've been awake for 25 hours now.

If you don't want to read it, don't post.

TL:DR version:

Defensive: spammy camp
Offensive: no breathing room
real tl;dr:
Defense: force approach, punish actions
offense: make defense suck at predicting.

and what the hell. This isn't even that long. You want long? read this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188497

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I used to think I played aggressively, but lately it's been varying for me. I guess I'm really situational with my play style. I like to quickly analyze my situation in my head, and I'll usually adjust accordingly.

Or I'll get inpatient and play extremely offensively.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Nice read, although you are making the rest of us on the forums look really lazy...

Maybe you should write about the camping play style or some others like that?

camping playstyle is a subset of defensive that relies heavily on projectiles for zoning.
oh, and zomg, you said i probably didn't know who you were, which by name, is true, HOWEVER, I DID remember that there was some awesome guy who had a Matsunaga Sara sig ftw, since like, ever 17 is pretty much the best game ever made.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
ever 17 is pretty much the best game ever made
I just got it. Lucky me.

On topic: Good read - it's information that man people know internally, but it's nice to bring it to the surface.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
camping playstyle is a subset of defensive that relies heavily on projectiles for zoning.
oh, and zomg, you said i probably didn't know who you were, which by name, is true, HOWEVER, I DID remember that there was some awesome guy who had a Matsunaga Sara sig ftw, since like, ever 17 is pretty much the best game ever made.
Yes it is amazing. Glad to know you at least knew my sig. Heck, if you want I can make you an ever 17 siggeh if you want.

And I get what you were saying about camping, I was just using it as an example of a style/sub style you could do if you want.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
The other thing. I'm completely out of free time. I'm crammed packed full of allnighters doing final projects/papers with no spare time. That's why i write these to take breaks. If that doesn't make sense, it's because i've been awake for 25 hours now.

real tl;dr:
Defense: force approach, punish actions
offense: make defense suck at predicting.

and what the hell. This isn't even that long. You want long? read this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188497
I didn't say it was long.
The guy above me said it was long (in my first post)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
and that's why i was saying that part to the guy who posted above you. It just happened to follow the part that dealt with you.

Top Bottom