• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay... since DKs grab release animation is finished faster than anyone elses...

Luigi player

Smash Master
...DK can punish the grabber.

If you're being grabbed and ground released, you can attack the grabber before he can put his shield up.

Frame data:
If DK gets grab released, he will be helpless for 20 frames,
Ness and Lucas will be helpless for 40 frames
and everyone else for 30 frames.

The grabber is always helpless for 30 frames, the only exception is Bowser (20 frames).

So this means DK has 10 frames to hit his enemy.

Attacks:
You can attack your opponent with the following attacks: jab (doesn't work on everyone though), dtilt, ftilt, running attack

You should try to buffer your attacks, otherwise they might be able to powershield or sidedodge.

How to buffer correctly:
Ftilt: hold forward; shortly before you can move again press A, but release them both immediately.

Dtilt: hold down; shortly before you can move again press A, but release them both immediately.

Running attack: shortly before you can move again flick the controlstick forward and the Cstick down, but release them both immediately.

Characters where this works:
You can jab the following ones (but they can shield the second hit if they are at 0 % and hold the shield button)
Squirtle
Charizard
Diddy
Ness
Marth
Pikachu
Fox
Mario
ROB
Pit
Link
Toon Link
Wolf
Lucas
Zero Suit Samus

You can't hit those characters with a jab:
Falco
Wario
Ganondorf
Metaknight
Olimar
Luigi
King Dedede
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Lucario
Sonic
G&W
Ike
Peach
Zelda/Shiek
Ice Climbers
Ivysaur

You can only hit those characters with a ftilt (the others have not enough range):
Samus
DK

You can only ground release if they use their pummel attack:
Snake
If he uses his grab attack on you (which he probably does if he's not throwing you immediately) you will be released right in front of him! This is really good since you can punish him with a grab (you grab on frame 8). Jab, ftilt, dtilt and running attack also work, but a grab should usually be better... theoretically jumping + upB could hit him too since to jump it takes 6 frames the aerial upB hitbox comes out on frame 4, but it's probably too hard to do and isn't better then the other attacks anyway.

Charakters where it doesn't work:
Bowser - he puts up his shield too fast, but you could dash grab him if he always shields grab release attacks

Snake - you'll get air released from his grab, unless he uses the pummel attack
Yoshi - you'll get air released from his grab

If your enemy wants to wall release you: You can always use jab, grab, dtilt, ftilt or running attack and hit your enemy (unless he's Bowser) if he wants to wall-grab release you (which they probably never will, but oh well...).

Ah well, it doesn't seem that useful, but everyone loves free damage, right?
Too bad they can powershield the dsmash... it's one ****ing frame too slow... lol.

I thought of some uses for it:

*If your enemy loves to use his grab attack and/or doesn't know about this you can use it.

*If your enemy DOES know about it, it will make him want to throw you immediately, which means you'll avoid some extra damage from grab attacks and since you can expect that he'll probably throw you as fast as possible you don't have to try to get out of the grab and you can concentrate on your DI.

*If your enemy has a low shield (eg. if you side B'd them and they shieldgrab you) and grab you mash out of their grab and side B again. They can avoid it, but if they don't use their jab or dodge then they will get hit/their shield brakes.

So it might not really be that useful, but it does help DK a little bit :)

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
you can ground break from snake... just don't hit up or jump.

also, you can grab most people out of a break, standing grab works better than the dash.

bowser and yoshi are the only ones you can't punish

also, if you can, always go for dtilts, cause they're better up close

EDIT: also, the basics of this are in the frame data thread. dk has the fastest ground break in the game

Luigi player

Smash Master
you can ground break from snake... just don't hit up or jump.

also, you can grab most people out of a break, standing grab works better than the dash.

bowser and yoshi are the only ones you can't punish

also, if you can, always go for dtilts, cause they're better up close

EDIT: also, the basics of this are in the frame data thread. dk has the fastest ground break in the game
No, if Snake grabs you you will jump break... I pressed nothing. Snakes grab is different than anyone elses... he grabs your neck and such. DK jumps out of it...

Standing grab? It's range it not enough to grab someone though.

Yeah dtilt is way better (and faster).

yessssssssssssss
lol, it's not that great... ^^

What about ZSS?
Oh, forgot her XD thanks for pointing that out

Luigi player

Smash Master
is his air release the same as his ground release? cuz if so maybe he can punish snake/yoshi with nair/uair (too bad bair doesn't work, he's facing the wrong way)
No, every character has 50 frames where he can't do anything if he jump breaks. (only Jiggly has 49)
That's too long to do anything. (you'd be too far away and your enemy can do something before you can so he could easily avoid everything)

Luigi player

Smash Master
uhh, i've ground broken from snake before, maybe its the PAL version only kinda thing
Hm that's strange... but the PAL version should be exactly the same as the US an japanese version... it would be the only change in the game mechanics... (I think)

So you can just do nothing and wait till you're grab released and you ground brake? Maybe you were on a slope? =/

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
This is cool, now to abuse the grab release abusing Marths

And btw, is it not possible for them to regrab you and still get hit, because i know grabs have priority over attacks

Luigi player

Smash Master
This is cool, now to abuse the grab release abusing Marths

And btw, is it not possible for them to regrab you and still get hit, because i know grabs have priority over attacks
I'm sure DK is too far away for that. DK can't even grab the enemy and his grab range is better than most others'.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
I have the PAL version and a PAL Wii (progressive video), and as far as I can tell there’s no way to get a ground break against Snake on flat ground.

But hey, I’d love to be wrong.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Its a trade off, he gets infinite by D3 anyways. I've had players who have never used D3 b4 infinite me on a cp.
BS D3.

To be honest, I would take DK's LIGHTNING fast ground break, and a infinite from D3. (for Ness)

than have what Ness has (abusable ground release)

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
Umm, guys? If you break out as you're being grab-hit, you ground break. I think this applies even for Yoshi.

Even as olimar being grabbed by snake (and olimar's like 3x his height off the ground), you will groundbreak if you breakout as snake is grabhitting you.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
I feel sorry for Ness mains. Ness has a laughably long ground release, but you've never experienced the pain of being standing infinited by D3.

Edit: Wait, can't Ness be infinited by a few chars? Oops!

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Umm, guys? If you break out as you're being grab-hit, you ground break. I think this applies even for Yoshi.

Even as olimar being grabbed by snake (and olimar's like 3x his height off the ground), you will groundbreak if you breakout as snake is grabhitting you.
this is true, but i've never figured out how to do it, anytime i've done it, it's been by accident
anyone?

Cuno's talking about being grabbed and then instantly being released, no time for a single pummel or anything.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Is it possible that you jump break if you rotate the controlstick and have stickjump on? Because that happened a few times for me and it sucks, lol.

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
donkey bong: no, i'm not talking about insta-breaking.

pressing jump has NOTHING to do with if you jumpbreak or not.
If during the time that the grabber is in his grab-pummel animation the grabee (lol) escapes from the grab, the grabee WILL groundbreak.
I think a good example of this would be using wolf as the grabber vs, say, olimar. If you just stand there, olimar will jumpbreak. If wolf sits there and pounds a, olimar should 90% of the time groundbreak (the other 10% comes from the chance that the grabbreak will occur inbetween pummels)

Does that make sense?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
ohhh i see what you mean...
i've never seen it happen... then again the people i play against dont pummel a lot because they play snake, falco, ICs, etc.

nevertheless, does anyone know how to insta-grab break?

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
If that was really possible to pull off on a consistent basis, chaingrabs and infinites wouldn’t be so much of a problem …

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I feel sorry for Ness mains. Ness has a laughably long ground release, but you've never experienced the pain of being standing infinited by D3.

Edit: Wait, can't Ness be infinited by a few chars? Oops!
Well, not really. EIDI stops Marth's infinite.I suppose you can get infinited by DK but some think it's escapable.

Ref said:
It's false, Ness slides to far for a dashing regrab.
No, Ness grab release animation>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DK's infinited via D3

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
PKNintendo speaks the truth. :p

Ness can be abused by any character cuz of his grab release animation. I remember viewing a thread of what everybody can do to Ness. It's sad. :(

And DK gets..... one bad matchup?

Luigi player

Smash Master
donkey bong: no, i'm not talking about insta-breaking.

pressing jump has NOTHING to do with if you jumpbreak or not.
If during the time that the grabber is in his grab-pummel animation the grabee (lol) escapes from the grab, the grabee WILL groundbreak.
I think a good example of this would be using wolf as the grabber vs, say, olimar. If you just stand there, olimar will jumpbreak. If wolf sits there and pounds a, olimar should 90% of the time groundbreak (the other 10% comes from the chance that the grabbreak will occur inbetween pummels)

Does that make sense?
1. It does make you jump break if your last command during a grab was a jump. (UNLESS your enemy is doing his grab attack while you break free)
2. If you have tap jump on you WILL jump break if you're unlucky and get grab released during your controlstick is up, I tested it :(
3. It is difficult to be grab released, you have to be really fast, I couldn't do it many times and most of the time I jump broke, because I rotated the controlstick and the reasons above >.<

Luigi player

Smash Master
DK's grab release animation kills Ness so bad, it's sad to see one of my mains get man handled like that.
**** you Ripple.
What? Ness and Lucas have the same grab release animationtime as everyone else (if they're the grabber).

But DK can cargo-grabrelease Ness and Lucas and Dsmash them I think. This has nothing to do with DKs short grab release animation though.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'm starting to wish people would just keep this kind of thing a secret. Although I still abuse Ness with his grab release.
This is nothing big though. A dtilt from DK is not that bad ;) No real KO potential and doesn't do much damage anyway.
And if you don't throw DK fast enough it's your fault anyway :p

PKNintendo

Smash Master
DK's grab release animation kills Ness so bad, it's sad to see one of my mains get man handled like that.
**** you Ripple.
Eh no. It doesn't. It's NESS animation, DK's animation where talking about is from GETTING grabbed (of your DK) shill out milk. Ness is still okay I suppose.

And Fire, your wrong, not every character grab releases + something on Ness. But does who do hurts.

But yeah DK's got some freaky stuff on Ness.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
And Fire, your wrong, not every character grab releases + something on Ness. But does who do hurts.

But yeah DK's got some freaky stuff on Ness.
I found the thread with everyone's grab release on Ness but I dont wanna post it here cause everyone will study it. D:

(Sorry for getting off topic everyone, I'll leave.......)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I found the thread with everyone's grab release on Ness but I dont wanna post it here cause everyone will study it. D:

(Sorry for getting off topic everyone, I'll leave.......)
Nessbounder's... It's really inaccurate.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Ness... And I guess Lucas too.. I heard there's an Infinite cargo release chaingrab... O-o is it just racking up damage from the cargo release (Kinda like the infinite in Smash64) or is there some other trick to it? I know its off Topic but.. T_T

Luigi player

Smash Master
A little update....

*I wrote that if the enemy side steps you won't hit them, but that was false.

*You can also use the running attack on some characters.

*Snake - you'll get air released from his grab
BUT:
If he uses his grab attack on you (which he probably does if he's not throwing you immediately) you will be released right in front of him! This is really good since you can punish him with a grab (you grab on frame 8). Jab, ftilt, dtilt and running attack also work, but a grab should usually be better.

How to buffer correctly:
Ftilt: hold forward; shortly before you can move again press A, but release them both immediately.

Dtilt: hold down; shortly before you can move again press A, but release them both immediately.

Running attack: shortly before you can move again flick the controlstick forward and the Cstick down, but release them both immediately.

Top Bottom