• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nice trick on Luigi's Mansion for a laserlock

GMo

Smash Apprentice
This may be common knowledge, I don't know, but I 'discovered' this today just messing around.

On the bottom floor by a pillar you can land a pretty easy laserlock...

Your dtilt lauches them up into the ceiling that you can't jump through and they bounce of the top, rather fast, on to the ground. I'm not sure how plausible this is but it may be of use when you get CP'd. I figure, at that speed most people might not tech correctly.

My personal favorite way to do this is to cancel the jab combo into a dtilt. I was able to pull this off a few times.

So:

A (hold it and do two jabs), Down, Down+A, Spam neutral B.

Can only do it in a certain range. For lucario it was about high 30s to mid 80s. I didn't throughly test it, but it is worth keeping in the back of your mind whenever the situation arises.

I tried the uthrow into the ceiling, but it didn't work (on Lucario). Maybe some more testing is in order later.

Sethlon came up with something significantly better:

Okay, check this out.

Chain grab to uptilt.
Tested on metaknight, have to get at least three grabs in (or about that much damage from something else) for the uptilt to bounce him off the ceiling. You have to walk forward before the uptilt (holding up on the C-stick with my thumb and then pressing A with my index finger seemed to be the easiest way.)

They bounce, and assuming they don't tech, laser lock.

So you lock them to the other side of the stage (about 20-22 lasers), and then Instant Aerial Phantasm when they start to get up. If you space it right, you should still be on the inside of the pillar. Do a quick turn around, and assuming they don't tech again, you can laser lock again, back the other way. Repeat until they're at a ridiculous damage, and then you can fit in a dsmash or ftilt (when I was messing around with this, I got a reverse ftilt, throwing MK straight out the side of the mansion, heh).

VIDEO (at 1:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp7ykxTzwfQ&fmt=6

GMo

Smash Apprentice
You can do it from one pillar to another. Or for bonus points knock down one of the sides and do it to the edge. The difference made is somewhat small (~20-30% probably).

Denzi

Smash Master
You can do it from one pillar to another. Or for bonus points knock down one of the sides and do it to the edge. The difference made is somewhat small (~20-30% probably).
Sounds like a good idea. I'm not going to complian about a free 20 - 30%.

fark

Smash Apprentice
never thought of doing that
i usually try the up throw

i like to up throw jabgrab up throw repeat till the tech

GMo

Smash Apprentice
I'll test this more when I have time (dead week :<). The dtilt setup isn't particularly easy to land. Maybe uthrow to dtilt to laserlock.

Feel free to go hogwild with this.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Outside of the jab combo, Uptilt would probably work better. Less lag.

Also, if you do get someone in a laser lock, you don't want to push them all the way off the ledge. If you stop when they're right before it, they are forced to simply stand up; so you can run up and grab/running attack (+gatling at low percent)/upsmash. If they're too far away, you can boost smash / IAP.

Edit: Also, falco can camp incredibly well on Luigi's Mansion. I outcamped Dojo on it when he counterpicked me there at OhSnap...run to a bottom corner, jump up and phantasm to the second/third level, drop down to that side corner and pepper with lasers, rinse repeat.

Denzi

Smash Master
Edit: Also, falco can camp incredibly well on Luigi's Mansion. I outcamped Dojo on it when he counterpicked me there at OhSnap...run to a bottom corner, jump up and phantasm to the second/third level, drop down to that side corner and pepper with lasers, rinse repeat.

Nice, never even thought of that, but it sounds really helpful.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Okay, check this out.

Chain grab to uptilt.
Tested on metaknight...have to get at least three grabs in (or about that much damage from something else) for the uptilt to bounce him off the ceiling. You have to walk forward before the uptilt (holding up on the C-stick with my thumb and then pressing A with my index finger seemed to be the easiest way.)
So you lock them to the other side of the stage (about 20-22 lasers), and then Instant Aerial Phantasm when they start to get up. If you space it right, you should still be on the inside of the pillar. Do a quick turn around, and assuming they don't tech again, you can laser lock again, back the other way. Repeat until they're at a rediculous damage, and then you can fit in a dsmash or ftilt (when I was messing around with this, I got a reverse ftilt, throwing MK straight out the side of the mansion, heh).

I'm not sure how DI would effect this, but I'm guessing not much.

Also, from holding the ledge...you can ledge jump, double jump, overB, and you'll be at the opposite corner. Drop down laser onto the second level, drop down phantasm to the first level, and if you space it right, you can land on one of the two little platforms. Run off the inside of the platform, overB to the outside and you'll grab the ledge on the way down, back where you started.
New falco counterpick? :cool:

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Okay, check this out.

Chain grab to uptilt.
Tested on metaknight...have to get at least three grabs in (or about that much damage from something else) for the uptilt to bounce him off the ceiling. You have to walk forward before the uptilt (holding up on the C-stick with my thumb and then pressing A with my index finger seemed to be the easiest way.)
So you lock them to the other side of the stage (about 20-22 lasers), and then Instant Aerial Phantasm when they start to get up. If you space it right, you should still be on the inside of the pillar. Do a quick turn around, and assuming they don't tech again, you can laser lock again, back the other way. Repeat until they're at a rediculous damage, and then you can fit in a dsmash or ftilt (when I was messing around with this, I got a reverse ftilt, throwing MK straight out the side of the mansion, heh).

amazing find. ill try it out later. when you say 3 grabs, what percent would that be? also, hows the SBR ^.^

K 2

Smash Lord
Okay, check this out.

Chain grab to uptilt.

Also, from holding the ledge...you can ledge jump, double jump, overB, and you'll be at the opposite corner. Drop down laser onto the second level, drop down phantasm to the first level, and if you space it right, you can land on one of the two little platforms. Run off the inside of the platform, overB to the outside and you'll grab the ledge on the way down, back where you started.
New falco counterpick? :cool:
Wow...sweet.

Falco's already a tough matchup for MK, now he has an effective way to laserlock on MK's best stage... =P

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Some regions ban Luigi's. Some don't.

amazing find. ill try it out later. when you say 3 grabs, what percent would that be? also, hows the SBR ^.^
Its about 20%. The being in the SBR thing is kinda cool :)

Upsmash could work for this, too, instead of uptilt; but uptilt ends faster, so theres less chance of them being able to roll out of it. And we should probly be saving our upsmash anyways.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tip. This could most definitely be a new cp for falco
nah not really. LM is still over-all not a good stage for falco. high ceiling prevents silent laser-boost smash or any kinda usmash KO attempt unless at high percents. the house itself is not good for falco either. however, it's still a good find. falcos can put this to use when MK or Olimar CP's this. using it for YOUR cp is going a bit too far. there are many better options.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah this won't become anything close to a CP for Falco (Japes, anyone?) but it is really nice to have in your arsenal if your opponent CPs this stage.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
Another discover, but don't get too excited it has nothing on Sethlon's cg to utilt.

This worked on Lucario in his low 100s (probably like 95-125). The fthrow sends them at a 45 degree angle up, and at high percents, quickly. You can fthrow them from spots on bottom floor (depends really, still looking into where exactly you can get the most lasers in) and they will bounce, if you buffer a laser you will lock them (assuming they don't tech). Unfortunately this isn't nearly as hard to tech, but still I think a lot (most) of people will miss it. I myself probably wouldn't tech this 8/10 times. Also, don't expect to get much more than 5-6 lasers in before you hit the pillar. Still, I felt that taking someone from 100 to 125ish from a grab at that percent is something worth sharing with you guys.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
These, especially the 3x dthrow -> utilt, are rather hard to tech; most people will either not see it coming (expecting us to finish the CG) or fail at the tech because of the narrow time frame.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
I am not Gmoney. I don't think I know anyone from the Falco boards (cept maybe Angel, we played a few friendlies at Oh Snap 4).

Top Bottom