• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussion #19: Kirby

Status
Not open for further replies.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
LOL KIRBY MIRITE?

Ratio: 60:40 Kirby

Synopsis:
Coming like...when you believe.

Onward!

PS: Didn't the Kirby boards already discuss us recently? If so, I probably shouldn't pester them lol. Shall we have another one of those campy (no pun intended) old discussions amongst ourselves?

Asidoh? Yes Asidoh, come...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Invite them anyway please.
*Waits for Asidoh* =D

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Kirby really isn't too bad for me. His B-moves (not really his up) and his F-smash are the only things to look out for (other than grabs but you can see them coming from a mile away). His only projectile is his up-B, which has very little priority. If he tries to gimp you then just fair or bair him. Really, all you need to do is approach slowly and surely with projectiles then either KO him or knock him around close-range until you can KO him.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
Kirby is one of my harder match ups. A smart Kirby will not let many projectiles hit him even if you are spamming intelligently. But thats how you must play the very beginning of every stock to keep away from his grab combos, and if you do get grabbed make sure you DI away from kirby.
After around the mid %s make sure you approach kirby safe with zairs before you attack because most kirby mains love to shield and grab out of it. short hop double arrow does not work well if kirby is approaching you by floor so i think it would be better to pull out a bomb with short hop and cancel with an arrow while retreating a lot.
For the kill I don't think it is wise at all to go in for kirby unless you have stunned him with a zair, predicted a spot/air dodge or roll, or stunned him with a projectile because most kirby mains I have played camp at their last %s waiting for an approach so they can fsmash or grab again.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Bombs and Boomerangs work well.
Space and Spam.

In the Air it's pretty even. Both have fast aerials like Bair and Nair.
Yea only thing to watch out for is Fsmash.

Though both Sides have very diffrent opinions on Ratio :p

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Eh, it's really hard to get a kill on Kirby, yet with his ridiculous Bair and Fsmash, he has no trouble killing us.

Plus he's not really gimpable if the Kirby is competent. Really I feel like he has the advantage since he racks up damage on us a lot quicker and safer overall, as well as kills quick too.

Did I mention his Fsmash is huge? lol

I'm thinking it's another 60:40 Toon Link's disadvantage Sasuke. But that's just me.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You are correct, good sir. ^_^

Kirbys Fsmash is so underestimated. It freaking ***** so hard.
If theres one thing you can try to power shield, let it be that.

Try to recover high to avoid being spiked.
Throw projectiles at Kirby when hes recovering, don't go out and try to gimp him.
Counterpick small levels where recovery isn't very essential.
Ban Rainbow Road. Kirby maneuvers better.

Thats all I can think of. =/

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Kirby is my worst match-up, even worse than Falco or Snake. >.<

Don't try to hit through Kirb's fsmash, it has been Sakurai blessed. As Sasuke said (or meant to say,) occupy the opponent with projectiles whenever possible, especially when recovering. Don't underestimate the spike (>.<)

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Eww, I hate this pink puffball. Our projectiles need to be aimed better than they would be with someone like Snake of course.. but I think the advantage goes to Kirby here.

His fsmash is ****, and his dair is very spikealicious.
He can jump over our fsmash I think, just like Jigglypuff. And can easily shield our usmash/uair. He's light which is good, so we can take him out at lower percents..

Zair doesn't come in handy to much here.. seing as he so small..
Meh, that's all I can think of right now.

Santi

Smash Lord
WHere are all the Kirby mains?

I hate playing against this Puff.

Its too good :/

**** Fsmash

IC3R

Smash Lord
And behold! A Kirby main!

To win, I think you'll mostly be playing projectile/punishment games.

From the puff's point of view:

Kirby said:
Poyo poyaya pito pii!
Translation: No clue...

I think this guy explains it better: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6022744&postcount=487

Pretty much covers everything. If you find something wrong, then discuss it here! :kirby:

On a more personal note: I don't like your tilts, especially U-tilt and D-tilt. D-Tilt trips, providing set-ups, and U-Tilt kills effectively when fresh at like 110-120% methinks? I also like to steal your arrows and spam them against you! Kirby can force TL to approach into close combat, which Kirby is much better at, regardless of TL having a sword.

And yes, PH33R T3H F_SMASH3RZ!!!!1!!@1eleven!

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621

On a more personal note: I don't like your tilts, especially U-tilt and D-tilt. D-Tilt trips, providing set-ups, and U-Tilt kills effectively when fresh at like 110-120% methinks? I also like to steal your arrows and spam them against you! Kirby can force TL to approach into close combat, which Kirby is much better at, regardless of TL having a sword.

And yes, PH33R T3H F_SMASH3RZ!!!!1!!@1eleven!
I has your seekritz nao!!!

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Kirby has the advantage. 60:40 kirby. I play my friend's kirby and it is true that fsmash is godly lawl. U can grab combo us, back air us, fsmash kills very fast and comes out fast and kills us very early. Its far from over for us TLs though so dont get cocky :p. To TLs- dont kill with fsmash it just wont cause kirby will just float over it. Ur main kill moves should be uair and usmash against kirby. Dont go offstage to try and gimp for obvious reasons. If a kirby tries to spike u, i think u can smash DI up and footstool him. I am assuming this since ive done it against yoshi's and it works. Havent tried it yet against kirby though if someone could clear that up itd be appreciated.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Unless you are a master swordman who has a boomerang/arrow game(no bombs sorry my loves) to match then kirby will dodge every one of your aatacks. A simple explaination for a simple character such as kirby. he's floaty, has a good recovery spam and can take your bow away from you and place so many arrows in you if you arent careful.

Kirby is a 90:10 for me with Kirby in favor. lol well thats cuz i suck

Lobos

Smash Master
I also agree with 60:40 in kirby's favor......but then again the only 2 kirby's to pumble me are Chudat and Percon. Got nothing else to add from what was already said.

IC3R

Smash Lord
lol That would be my fault :)

And wait until you see my answers to your tilts! ;)

EDIT: Lobos gets OVER 9000!!!!1!! cool points for using a Classic Controller :bee:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
OH SH-

So yeah. Mega-late input:

I find it 50-50 or possibly 55-45 in TL's advantage. The only thing Kirby has over TL are fsmash kills, but a smart TL will be prepared for it at all times when in KO range. Fsmash is really quite easy to shield and punish.

Actually never mind. I used to think it was in TL's advantage, but Kirby has an easier time getting regular KOs AND gimps so I guess it's probably in his favor. Dairing TL's up B is too easy.

Even so, only 55-45 Kirby :/

I take my leave!

Edit: I say it's 50-50. TL has easy KOs with uptilt, upsmash, and upair. His Nair and Fair also have KO potential, and his Bair is simply better than Kirby's, when combined with Zair and projectiles.

Kirby's bair might beat out TL's in a direct matchup, but TL's is faster and Kirby can't really combo TL well because of his floatiness.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You just moved the general discussion thread to the second page. ;_;
*cries in the corner*

CCPLZ

Smash Rookie
I agree with the 60-40/55-45 in favour of Kirby, due to the gimp opportunities, floatiness to avoid projectiles and the capability to rack up early stock damage with those grab combos.
*tips for Toon Links*
At the start of every stock against Kirby, i blow myself up with bombs to allow my self to get out of the "combo" with proper DI and knowing when to jump. I've always figured that 12-20% > than 40+.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You just moved the general discussion thread to the second page. ;_;
*cries in the corner*
Nobody's ever satisfied...
I agree with the 60-40/55-45 in favour of Kirby, due to the gimp opportunities, floatiness to avoid projectiles and the capability to rack up early stock damage with those grab combos.
*tips for Toon Links*
At the start of every stock against Kirby, i blow myself up with bombs to allow my self to get out of the "combo" with proper DI and knowing when to jump. I've always figured that 12-20% > than 40+.
40+? Seriously, DI...Kirby's combos have been overrated for so long: learn how to escape them. It doesn't work nearly as well as everyone thinks @_@

at least, it's not "guaranteed" as much as everyone things. TL will probably take 18% from fthrow->uair, and with good DI + jump +airdodge or something, that's all.

Or don't get grabbed?
Yeah, this.

I still think it's 50-50, 55-45 Kirby at most.

.... hi =D

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed a lot of kirby's like to play with their up-b while hanging on the ledge. If you ever see one doing this, just wait just beyond the reach of the sword, and your hero's shield will block the rest of the attack, giving you a free hit.

Radori Nighthawk

Smash Apprentice
Hmm this match up. I can contribute some. Well from fighting the #1 Kirby, Chu's Kirby. I can say that bombs are always nice to have. Try not to shield alot since you'll get jab/tilt/grab *****. Like I did. :( I managed to get a gimp by having a bomb in hand and he did upthrow and it exploded while we were ariborne. Thus, double star KO. xD Too bad I failed at the last stock and fell off the edge and got edgehogged....at 0%. >_>

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This thread is 5 months old. Please don't bump it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Eh...while it's bumped...
Still 60-40 Kirby... For many reason, with the biggest being the puffball just kills us WAY too early...

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Eh, it might be best just to let the thread die. If more spontaneous discussion of the match up emerges, we can either resurrect this or just start a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom