• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Week #18 : Pit

Blad01

Smash Lord
Week #18 : Pit

The angelic fighter is coming ! With a very various moveset, that has the only problem to lack of range and kills moves, but contains a good recovery, aerial game, offstage game... It seems however that our laser can be even more painful for him than his arrows for us.
Discuss !

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
To play this fight, Falco HAS to know how to SHDL into an immediate reflector. If you can do that, you win the camp battle. Falco should try to stay away from Pit as long as possible, and play a smart camp game, not a spammy one. Pit has reflectors too, so just firing lasers as fast as possible won't work.

Once he's approaching you, you need to watch out. Pit has a lot of disjointed hitboxes with surprisingly high priority. If he's approaching by ground, Ftilt or jab combo him. Alternately, just phantasm through and keep lasering.

If he approaches from the air, Nair is usually the best bet because of its great speed and hitbox. Bair works quite nicely also. Pit doesn't have fantastic aerials in front and below him, so try to stay in that zone.

Do NOT get above him, though. His Uair beats out anything you have from up there. Dair completely gets eaten up by it, don't try it. Just do your best to airdodge and DI back on stage if he's juggling you.

Both of you have a hard time killing, so you need to watch what moves the pit isn't using and be ready for them. Most Pit's try will try to kill with Bair or Fsmash. They probably need to use Fsmash to build damage, so it may be diminished and take a long time to kill. If he's holding it back, stay out of range, just run and laser. Bair is his other kill move, and doesn't usually get used as a damage move. Your bair beats his, don't let him hit you with it.

One thing to keep in mind in this matchup is the Wings of Icarus gimp. In case you don't know, if Pit is hit during his Up-B, he can't use it again until he touches ground. Fortunately, our chain grab to spike puts him in perfect position to get gimped at low percents by this. Should you manage to grab Pit, chain him to the side and spike, then do a ledge hug. Watch him from there. If he tried to recover on the side you're on, ledge drop and Bair. Even if he goes up and around, you can jump up to get him.

Smarter pits will use WoI to fly under the stage to the opposite ledge. If you see him do this, get up off the ledge. At that point, he'll either turn around or keep going. If he turns around, regrab the ledge. If he keeps going, IAP to the other side and grab that one. Use your bair from there.

As many cool things as Falco has, Pit wins the up close game fairly well. Overall I would put this matchup at 55/45 Falco's favor.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Finally a match up that I know well. Since I main both parties.

Well, 8Angel8 told you how to use Falco well against Pit. However I'm gonna edit and add.

You seem to have forgot that Pit approaches with arrows. He will mid air jump and fire an arrow down on you. A good Pit will try and get you to reflect this and take advantage of your lag.... even if it means using another arrow. You also forgot about Pits many arrow blitz's, loops and rain. Falco can reflect these but often times the arrows are angled so it will only put you in lag. I do not recomend it.

His wing dashing destroys all of Falco's laser and gets him in close so you can forget about camping. He wont reflect them.... he'll destroy the and get in close. As far as for your idea on his ground play. All it takes is an arrow loop followed by a dash attack (the arrow will cancel or damage anything you through out..... except shine). When you get that dash attack guess what? You are now above. Falco will eat arrows and Uair now.

Oh, and Pit has good air game on all sides. Bair is really quick and powerful. Dair covers a huge area and has little lag. Fair is quick and powerful. Though it's up and down range sucks a good Pit will still get you with it. Nair is Satan favorite buzzsaw.... and so is Uair.

As for the part on Wol (Wings of Icarus).......... Crap..... they know our secret. :(

Now, when I play a Falco with Pit I'm usally relaxed during the match. Lasers aren't a big problem. I have 5 ways of dealing with it: Air Dodge multi jump approach, step dodge, Angel Ring into Falco reflecting lasers and hurting him, Wind Dashing and his reflecter shield (which will protect you from any counter he might though out).

I can always glide to saftey. I usally beat him in the air (accept for Falcos Dair and Bair). It's hard to Spike a Pit out of the CG.

So yeah.... Pit really has an advantage here. I say the match up is 60 40, Pits favor.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
y advice. Never relie on your phantasm back onto main platforum. Ive gotten soo many kills on good falcos by doing this
1.Arrow Straight (will cancel Phantasm)
2. Arrow semi straight down (will cancel a phantasm aiming for ledge)
3. Either finish off with gimping falco out of upB or firing more arrows to mess it up

Note. Falco firebird can be reflected by mirrorshield but not the phantasm.

And Falcos CG spike has a simple counter.
Jump a few times and glide underneath to the opposite side of the map and WoI.
Im pretty sure glide is faster than your run/Phantasm unless its canceled, so i wouldnt worry about reaching the other side.

Finally for gimping Pits go for it but be weary. If you fail you will put pit in a Reaaly great position with his 5 midair jumps and disjointed aerials you will find it hard to recover with only firebird and possibily 1 jump alone. this often happens when falcos try to gimp me under the ledges.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Hilarious, how this week is Pit, and that i am currently uploading 15 matches who are with my friend who plays Pit :). you guys should check out my video thread in a couple hours, all the 15 matches against pit will help this thread out

GMo

Smash Apprentice
For good CPs should Falco consider maps that pit cannot fly under (if Japes is banned)?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I'm not a big fan of Japes against Pit, actually. The raised platforms on the side actually allow Pit to outcamp you, and it's really hard to get a grab against a good pit. Even if you do spike, Pit is better at surviving it than most.

I prefer neutrals against Pit.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Take Pit to either Japes,FD, YI, Mansion, or Castle Siege. I personally would go to Japes or YI. Also, avoid playing Pit on battlefield. his upair will **** you.

The stages to BAN against pit are port town, norfair, and probably cruise.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
8Angel8 put it down pretty well. I would just like to point out a few things.

Falco will almost never reach the other side of the stage before pit does if pit decides to go under the stage to recover, and a late bair in an attempt to gimp pit probably involves more risk for falco than for pit.

As much as I love saviorslegacy a lot of what he says is incorrect, as the vids ozz posted will show you. SHDL is an excellent pressuring tool and at the right distance Pit can hardly do anything about it. Hardly any time for arrows.

Falcos watch out for arrow gimps. Once you are far enough away from the stage (the distance where phantasm will barely make it) arrow gimps become a significant threat to your recovery because arrow hitstun will make you drop farther and farther down until you either can't make it with firefalco or you become susceptible to an edgehog.

Also while the CG works wonders the final spike isn't great until pit is at very high percents or unless you are on yoshi's island or another stage where pit can't go under the stage. Pit will have jumps and UpB, remember.

Pit has to know the matchup really well for this to work, but once he figures it out I think he does fine. 55:45 Falco's sounds good.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
heh. i would but my wifi's connection is TERRIBLE. :(

anyways, i think it's 55-45 falco.

falco can easily outcamp pit with lasers because they're faster, and as long as he can shdl into immediate reflector, he should be okay, like angel said.

in the air, i'd give pit a slight advantage but not by much, his bair and uair are great, and his dair is ok.
falco's option in the air should most likely be bairs and nairs.

in the ground, i'd say falco wins out. pit has disjointed hitboxes but falco's tilts are of great use here, especially ftilt, use it to keep pit away. also, use jabs to keep the spacing as well. you do NOT want a pit close to you as his moves have more priority. falco also has his IAPs to get away if he needs to "reset".

for racking up damage, falco obviously wins, he has lasers and cg->spike, what more is there to say (im well aware of pit's short fthrow cg, but falco's is wayy better)

for getting the kills, i'd say they're about even. falco can go with his usual silent laser-> boost smash, bairs if they're fresh. pit also has his bair. and also the fsmash if it's fresh.

pit obviously wins for the better recovery, though falco isn't as easy to gimp if some think.

for gimping/offstage game, pit again wins, because of his 3 jumps and he has WoI to recover. however, pit can be gimped easily if he uses WoI and isn't careful.

Coffee™

I need it....
Wing Dashing is a spacing tool, its not going to stop you from being shot by lazers.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
it may be wifi but it retains 90% of the original matchup, Dk and fox did something similiar) and it worked out great
I don't think that has even happened yet between DK and Fox. I can't wait for the other DKs to realize just how brutal Fox is for them, though.

Anyway, I'm going to agree with those that say its a slight Falco advantage. It's important to not get too cocky in this matchup, because both characters have trouble getting a solid kill on the other, and Pit has the advantage when it comes to gimping the opponent's recovery.

Those videos above are really good from what I've seen. I'm going to watch more of them, because it's pretty clear that Ozz knows this matchup a lot better than me.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Actually Savior, WingDash, or the wings in general, cant cancel out Falco lasers, or any Space animal blaster for that matter (But can stop Pit's own arrows in a ditto).

As far as Stages go, Pit should have the advantage at not only Norfair, but probably Lylat too. (Port Town is banned BTW).
Lylat's tilting stage is the big thing which screws Falco's recovery, and doesnt affect Pit as much as it does almost every other char. It may slightly degrade Pit's ledgecamp game, but it actually can help him hit you under the stage with a U-air with the Thin Tilted stage.

Pit has a CG of his own, which is the F-throw, but it's not as severe as Falco's CG *Shivers*
Simply DI the right way and escape from it quickly, but if you get caught in a wall (Ex. Delfino place), you'll be taken to about 40 damage, though we know Falco does it better.

One thing a Pit should do is get Falco above him. Some of the easiest ways a Pit can do this is a D-tilt, D-throw, or U-throw. Do be cautious of the U-air, which reminds me. Pit's U-air plays a big role at Norfair, should a Pit take you there.

I see it lightly in Falco's favor of 55-45, then sometimes I think it's even.

Falco
-CG to Spike, though Pit can survive it unlike most of the cast. CGs happen to be one of my weaknesses, but if you grab me, please let me go :(
-Blaster is threatening in most cases, and Wings cant cancel this projectile out. Note: Falco blaster travels slightly faster if reflected by Pit's Mirror Shield and will somewhat reset it's duration time before it disappears. Pit's Angel Ring cant do this. Contact me for more information.
-Falco's Jab priorities
-Dash to U-smash... I never got that, but maybe we Pits should try experimenting with our dash attack to see if we get something.
-

Pit
-Minor F-throw CG that can be avoid simply from proper DI. He's better off doing it on Wolf, DK, Bowser and a few other heavy chars.
-Arrows IMO are actually the bigger threat since it can be controlled, and can be chosen not to fly straight into Falco's reflector, or can be angled to avoid damage.
-Great Ledgecamp game and Edgeguarding. Gimping is pretty good, can use Arrows for gimping and quick Up-B near a ledge to sweetspot ledge to grab it quicker (can be good for edgehogging a Falco)
-Superiority in the skies in this matchup, mostly from U-air priorities against Falco

The Pit chatroom doesnt work at this time, but there is another one.

For some reason I think I rather fight a Falco than a Fox, for the sake of avoiding U-tilt/D-air/Usmash spam, and I hate speedy chars.

Blad01

Smash Lord
So, it seems that 55-45 is pretty much agreed on both sides :)

I used to think it was 60-40 Falco because of his superior projectile, but Pit can protect himself all day with his Down B...
But the facts are that it's easy for Falco to approach, where it's difficult for Pit.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
i still think its 50-50
they falco out camps us but i think we have better melee and ledge options
it really just depends on the stage imo
norfair or battlefield will **** falco
YI and FD (maebe) will **** us
also pit can approach a few ways ok

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
i still think its 50-50
they falco out camps us but i think we have better melee and ledge options
it really just depends on the stage imo
norfair or battlefield will **** falco
YI and FD (maebe) will **** us
also pit can approach a few ways ok

Falco out-camps you. Check.
Pit has better melee and ledge options. Not really.

Falco's tilts are a great way to space pit away for more laser fun, while Pit has disjointed -- but predictable -- melee moves.

In the air, Pit has an arsenal of rapid striking aerials, a good kill one (bair), and one that serves little purpose in this match up (dair.) Falco on the other hand can use all his aerials. Nair strikes fast, uair resets upwards, bair kills, and dair is a hindrance to the entire cast.

In my opinion, the stage only matters when it's a bad Falco stage in general. Lylat, yeah ok we can't do jack on that stage.

Same with RC and likewise. Battlefield I don't think is too bad for Falco vs Pit, as it's relatively flat. Nair or usmash through the platforms is quite effective, and Falco can switch between in-your-face and campy with ease. Yoshi's Island, FD, Animal Crossing, JJ and a few others are great choices for Falco. I'll give Norfair to you though.

As for approaches. What do you mean by "approach a few ways ok"? For one, Pit has to approach through a barrage of lasers. Falco doesn't need to approach, but he can if he needs to.

wangston

Smash Lord
You can't punish pit's fsmash or dsmash, so broken. Anytime you go for a grab after a smash you get smashed again. Don't do it. I would also hesitate using a ftilt to punish him because he can just dsmash, dodge, dsmash when dsmash to dsmash is to predictable.

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
Why would falco need to approach if he doesn't need to?.. nvm... -.-

Also, @ Wangston, you can punish the dsmash with a DACUS if you've spaced correctly. If you time it right, you can easily hit him before he has a chance to dodge or dsmash again. And if you spot dodge the dsmash/fsmash at close range, it's extremely easy to punish. My favorite is to punish with jab>grab.

55/45 in falco's favor for the same reasons every1 else has stated (Falco's poor recovery vs. Pit's weakness against lasers). I agree with crystal though, the match-up hasn't changed at all so this thread needn't be reopened.

Top Bottom