• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's jab game - in depth

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I know, I know, I make too many topics, but this needs it's own thread imo. (I'll link to this in my findings thread if necissary)

FALCON'S JAB GAME - IN DEPTH

the jab is one of falcon's best moves, as it combo's into a grab, and some airials combo into a jab. A good falcon player will find himself using his neutral A quite often, this 'guide' is to help you to use the jab in the best ways possible.

Jab canceling
It is possible to cancel a jab (into a grab for example) to make the jab>grab combo. All you have to do is input your next action (the action you jab cancel into) at the right moment for the jab to cancel.

THE JABS

The first jab
This is the most important jab, as when you use the jab, it is the only jab that is unavoidable to use. This jab can be jab canceled into a grab, but if this jab connects, the best option (most of the time) is to use the second jab (at least) too.

The second jab
This jab isn't unavoidable to use, as you can jab cancel the first jab, but this jab is also very important, as the first jab combo's into the second jab. The second jab reaches further than the first, so remember, if the first jab misses the opponent who's just out of range, the second jab will hit. This jab can also be jab canceled into a grab. (wich makes the jab>jab>grab combo)

The third jab
With the third jab, falcon hits the opponent with one of his knee's. This jab can be 'jab canceled' into the first jab (to avoid using the multi jab) but this isn't inescapable. One can first jab>second jab>third jab>first jab etc. with the right timing and jab cancel the first or second jab into a grab.

The fourth jab - the multi jab
after the third jab, falcon goes into an attack where he jabs multiple times. This move is easily punishable and can be DI'd out of easily. Though it has it's downsides, it is not always a bad idea to use this, as variation is important for a good jab game. This jab cannot be jab canceled.

FOLLOW UPS
Falcon's jab game doesn't stop with his jabs or the grab wich it combo's in, it's also about how you punish the opponents reaction on the jab. These won't form real combo's, but they can work wonders if you use them right.

jab(>jab)>Utilt
If the opponent tries to DI away from your jabs (they could try to avoid a multi jab for example) an Utilt punishes them very nicely

jab(>jab)>up b
Falcon's up b works very well in combination with jabs, as it not only punishes opponents who try to DI out of your jabs, but it also punishes opponents who try to shield the jabs.

Multi hit>up b
although this is kind of risky, because if they roll, they can punish the after lag of you up b (use your up b near a ledge, so you can avoid the ending lag by hanging from the ledge to avoid this) but if they try to DI out of your multi jab (wich they most likely will) an up b punishes them nicely.

jab(>jab)>Falcon kick/raptor boost
These two moves punish opponents who roll away after getting jabbed. (if they roll away from you that is, but this is unlikely) although these moves have quite some ending lag, the opponent should have a hard time punishing them if you keep variation in your jab game. (and if they rol towards you after the jab(s), they have an even harder time punishing this.
These two moves can also work after the third jab/multi hit.

ARIAL PUNISHMENT
When you are jabbing an opponent, jumping is also a possibility for falcon. (like: jab(>jab)>jump) this can lure out reactions (like smashes, or jabs from the opponent). When you are in the air, arials can punish their actions.

jab(>jab)>jump>Fair
This one really pays off if it connects (sweetspots) but it is also risky. If you lure out a punishable smash, this move if the one to go for.

jab(>jab)>jump>Dair/AC Dair
if you use the non AC'd Dair, you'll endure landing lag, but you'll have more time to punish (wich normal Dair, I mean Dair out of a full jump)
If you use the AC Dair, you could follow up with more jabs, or even use the AC Dair>Knee/Uair combo, but an AC Dair out of jabs is punishable, but a good addition to your jab game if you keep variation in it.

jab(>jab)>jump>falling Uair
This also works wonders, and can even combo into more jabs at lower percents.

jab(>jab)>jump>Bair
This can be uses after you jump over them after the jab.

jab(>jab)>jump>Nair/SH Nair
This can also work wonders, and if you SH FF the Nair it even combo's into more jabs. (if only the first hit of the Nair connects)
if you really want to use this as a punishment, you should focus on landing the second hit (too)

ARIALS>JAB(S)
Some of falcon's arials combo into jabs (at lower percents). This also contributes to falcon's jab game.

The arials that combo into jabs:

(falling) Uair
This one combo's into jabs at lower percents.

(first hit of the)Nair
A SH FF Nair can setup for a jab combination very well

The Bair used in your jab game
If you SH FF a Bair, it can lead into a jab if you buffer the jab. This may not be a real combo, but still one of the many additions to your jab game.

jab-(>jab)->run away from opponent->SH bair is also a good option.

SMASHES AFTER JAB(S)
This is a risky thing to do, but if it works it pays off. It is all about not keeping variation in your jab game for this to be unexpected.

jab(>jab)>Usmash
This could do nice damage if it connects. As the opponent is xlose enough to you after one or two jabs for both hits of falcon's Usmash to connect.
You can also jab(>jab)>dash dance Usmash for mindgames, or hyphen smash to punish an opponent who rolls away from you.

jab(>jab)>Fsmash
The Fsmash after one or two jabs can really catch an opponent off guard. But quick moves from the opponents can stop this easily, so use this combination with caution.

jab(>jab)>Dsmash
This punishes opponents who try to roll behind you while you jab. Falcon's Dsmash is verypunishable if it misses though.

As you can see, the jab has alot of different ways to be used and to setup for other attacks. So the jab is a big part of falcon's metagame.

Feel free to add more info yourself.

SecretofMana

Smash Cadet
My personal favorite is when my opponents start to predict jab->jump->ff nair and try to shield-grab it, and I counter with jab->jump->FF nothing->grab.
It's risky, but it has worked for me before several times against humans and has kept them guessing. Another alternative is starting to dair during the fastfall, which cancels with no lag, I believe, if the dair hitbox has not begun. Sometimes, the opponent will drop their shield after this to try to punish, allowing you to begin another jab combo on them.

Watching Rebaz vs. Izaw, he seems to enjoy jab->jab->run away from opponent->SH bair, or if the opponent sees it coming and raises their shield early, a full and then fast-falled double jump to prompt the shield-drop to bair; it works surprisingly well. This could be used with a falling uair, a RAR'd fair, maybe even a buffered turnaround jab(though I haven't tried any of these out).

Zeallyx

My personal favorite is when my opponents start to predict jab->jump->ff nair and try to shield-grab it, and I counter with jab->jump->FF nothing->grab.
It's risky, but it has worked for me before several times against humans and has kept them guessing. Another alternative is starting to dair during the fastfall, which cancels with no lag, I believe, if the dair hitbox has not begun. Sometimes, the opponent will drop their shield after this to try to punish, allowing you to begin another jab combo on them.

Watching Rebaz vs. Izaw, he seems to enjoy jab->jab->run away from opponent->SH bair, or if the opponent sees it coming and raises their shield early, a full and then fast-falled double jump to prompt the shield-drop to bair; it works surprisingly well. This could be used with a falling uair, a RAR'd fair, maybe even a buffered turnaround jab(though I haven't tried any of these out).
thanks for your imput, I added 'jab->jab->run away from opponent->SH bair' to the OP.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Jab to FK.

Its quite unexpected, really.

So is jab to raptor boots.

now about the chances of hitting....not soo much....

Zeallyx

Jab to FK.

Its quite unexpected, really.

So is jab to raptor boots.

now about the chances of hitting....not soo much....
jab(>jab)>Falcon kick/raptor boost
These two moves punish opponents who roll away after getting jabbed. (if they roll away from you that is, but this is unlikely) although these moves have quite some ending lag, the opponent should have a hard time punishing them if you keep variation in your jab game. (and if they rol towards you after the jab(s), they have an even harder time punishing this.)
These two moves can also work after the third jab/multi hit.
it's all about prediction. (or more not beeing predictable)

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
You should take your guides & shove it!
Jk but really you should put all of your guides in 1 and it can probably get stucked since theres really no falcon how to play guides and these are pretty detailed.

Zeallyx

You should take your guides & shove it!
Jk but really you should put all of your guides in 1 and it can probably get stucked since theres really no falcon how to play guides and these are pretty detailed.
yes, that may be a good idea:)
I'll make a thread like that now:)

Top Bottom