• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle for WNY 5! (Melee + Brawl) Jan 31st + Feb 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6531268
Shoutouts thread!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/battle-for-western-new-york-5
LIVE FEED IS UP

IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE LATE, THEN PLEASE USE ONE OF THE CONTACT PHONE NUMBERS TO TELL US SO WE CAN GET YOU INTO THE BRACKETS.

Hosted by Xiivi, Shiri, and Goodies! 3 excellent TOs running an excellent event.

All of the previous Battle for WNY events have been extremely popular, attracting top level players such as Chu Dat, Umbreon Mow, PC chris, and plank. We're hoping all of them and more will come back for this killer event!

376 Jefferson Road
Rochester, New York 14623

Phone: 585.424.3140 & 317.753.5476
E-Mail: 411@arena51.com
AIM: auntbitc (Goodies), Xiivi (Xiivi), Yanikku (Shiri)

Schedule:

Saturday, January 31st
10:00 A.M. - 11:30 A.M. ......Registration, Set-up, and Free Play
11:30 A.M. - 1:00 P.M. ......Melee Doubles
1:00 P.M. - 1:30 P.M. ......Lunch break and Free play
1:30 P.M. - 4:00 P.M. ......Melee Doubles (cont’d)
4:00 P.M. - 8:30 P.M. ......Melee Singles
8:30 P.M. - Close ...........Free play & Crew Battles - Melee/Brawl (Time permitting)

Sunday, February 1st
10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M. ......Registration, Set-up, and Free Play
11:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M. ......Brawl Doubles
1:00 P.M. - 1:30 P.M. ......Lunch break and Free play
1:30 P.M. - 3:30 P.M. ......Brawl Doubles (cont’d)
3:30 P.M. - 8:00 P.M. ......Brawl Singles
8:00 P.M. - Close ...........Free Play

Entry Fees:

Venue Fee - 5$$ per person
Singles Melee/Brawl - 10$$ per person
Teams Melee/Brawl - 20$$ per team / 10$$ per teammate
Crews - 20$$ per team
*Bring a full set-up (TV + Wii + Brawl/Melee) and have your venue fee waived!

Prizes:

First Place - 60%
Second Place - 30%
Third Place - 10%
*If singles has 64 or more entrants, prize payout will be 50/25/15/5/2.5

Prizes apply to both singles and teams brackets.

For crew battles payout will be 70% for 1st and 30% for 2nd.

There is a guaranteed $250 minimum pot for singles and $125 minimum for teams.
The more people come, the bigger the pot will grow! Participation is usually pretty high so definitely expect pot values to be larger. Winners are known to have earned more than $500 in prizes! Of course, the title is what's most important!

Rules:

MELEE:
Singles

Format:

- Players will immediately enter standard elimination brackets.
- Separate seeding can be requested if it is so desired.

Elimination:

- Double elimination.

Match Rules:

- All matches are best-of-three. Winner's Finals and Loser's Finals are best-of-five.
- Players meeting twice in tournament play will expand their previous set to a best-of-eleven continuation.
- The Grand Finals set will be two best-of-five sets. Grand Finals will not be a continuation set.
- All matches are four stock with an eight minute time limit.
- Sudden Death will not be played. Ties are broken by stock, not percentage.
- Items will, of course, be OFF.

Stage Selection:

- After characters are chosen for the first match, both players can knock out one stage for the duration of the set. Stages knocked out do not carry over to continuation sets.
- Unless all players can agree on a stage, the first stage of a regular set will be randomly selected. If the set is a best-of-eleven continuation, the loser of the first set may pick the first stage at the beginning of the continuation set.
- After each match, the loser of the match can counterpick with a legal stage or elect to go random before characters are chosen.
- Stages cannot be played twice unless the current set is a best-of-eleven continuation. The only stages that can be played twice during continuation sets are random stages.
- All players have one reset per set. Resets may only be used on randomly selected stages during the first five seconds of play. The stage cannot be played again when randomly selected, but is still available for counterpicking.

Character Selection:

- A double blind pick may be called at any time during any set. Tournament staff will judge the selection.
- After each match, the loser may pick the next stage (or go random). After this decision is made, the winner of the previous match may change characters. Afterwards, the loser of the previous match may change characters.
- Characters may not be changed after a reset is called. Once characters are chosen, the decision is in effect until the end of the match.

Teams

Format: All teams will enter standard elimination brackets.

Elimination: Double elimination.

Special Team Rules:
- Team Attack is ON.
- Life stealing is allowed.

All other rules that apply to singles apply to teams as well.

Stage Listing

Singles

The following stages are available for random select for singles:

- Final Destination
- Battlefield
- Kirby's Dreamland 64
- Yoshi's Story
- Fountain of Dreams
- Pokémon Stadium

The following stages are available for counterpick for singles:

- All random stages
- Rainbow Cruise
- Jungle Japes
- Kongo Jungle
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Poké Floats
- Corneria
- Brinstar
- Mute City
- Green Greens

Teams

The following stages are available for random select for teams:

- Final Destination
- Battlefield
- Kirby's Dreamland 64
- Yoshi's Story
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Pokémon Stadium

The following stages are available for counterpick for teams:

- All random stages
- Rainbow Cruise
- Jungle Japes
- Kongo Jungle
- Mushroom Kingdom II
- Poké Floats
- Corneria
- Brinstar
- Great Bay
- Green Greens

Crews

We will be having crew battles. Please refer to the standard Kish-style crew battle system for rules. The one change is that, for simplicity, there will be NO character / player switching. Each player stays in with his or her original character until they are defeated (if they are defeated at all). All stages will be chosen at Random using the Singles Random stage list.

BRAWL:

Singles

Format:

- Players will immediately enter standard elimination brackets.
- Separate seeding can be requested if it is so desired.

Elimination:

- Double elimination.

Match Rules:

- All matches are best-of-three. Winner's Finals and Loser's Finals are best-of-five.
- Players meeting twice in tournament play will expand their previous set to a best-of-eleven continuation.
- The Grand Finals set will be two best-of-five sets. Grand Finals will not be a continuation set.
- All matches are three stock with an seven minute time limit.
- Sudden Death will not be played. Ties are broken by stock, not percentage.
- Items will, of course, be OFF.

Stage Selection:

- After characters are chosen for the first match, both players can knock out one stage for the duration of the set. Stages knocked out do not carry over to continuation sets.
- Unless all players can agree on a stage, the first stage of a regular set will be randomly selected. If the set is a best-of-eleven continuation, the loser of the first set may pick the first stage at the beginning of the continuation set.
- After each match, the loser of the match can counterpick with a legal stage or elect to go random before characters are chosen.
- Stages cannot be played twice unless the current set is a best-of-eleven continuation. The only stages that can be played twice during continuation sets are random stages.
- All players have one reset per set. Resets may only be used on randomly selected stages during the first five seconds of play. The stage cannot be played again when randomly selected, but is still available for counterpicking.

Character Selection:

- A double blind pick may be called at any time during any set. Tournament staff will judge the selection.
- After each match, the loser may pick the next stage (or go random). After this decision is made, the winner of the previous match may change characters. Afterwards, the loser of the previous match may change characters.
- Characters may not be changed after a reset is called. Once characters are chosen, the decision is in effect until the end of the match.

Teams

Format: All teams will enter standard elimination brackets.

Elimination: Double elimination.

Special Team Rules:
- Team Attack is ON.
- Life stealing is allowed.

All other rules that apply to singles apply to teams as well.

Stage Listing

Singles

The following stages are available as starters for singles:

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Lylat Cruise

The following stages are available for counterpick for singles:

- All starter stages
-Castle Siege
-Delfino Plaza
-Pokemon Stadium
-Frigate Orpheon
-Norfair
-Battleship Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Brinstar

Teams

The following stages are available for random select for teams:

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Lylat Cruise

The following stages are available for counterpick for teams:

- All starter stages
-Castle Siege
-Delfino Plaza
-Battleship Halberd
-Frigate Orpheon
-Norfair
-Rainbow Cruise
-Pokemon Stadium
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Brinstar

Crews

We will be having crew battles. Please refer to the standard Kish-style crew battle system for rules. The one change is that, for simplicity, there will be NO character / player switching. Each player stays in with his or her original character until they are defeated (if they are defeated at all). All stages will be chosen at Random using the Singles Random stage list.

Other Rules:
Wobbling, DDD's standing infinite, etc... are banned. Staff will be the sole judges of such actions. These will result in immediate and total disqualification.

Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock)
-If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
-If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie, the player who initiated the swallow move wins. If the player who was swallowed is shown as winning the match (in the instance the broke out right before they died which some people might not notice), then they win.

As you can guess, modded controllers are not allowed. Third-party controllers are allowed, but you cannot use their programmable functions. Disqualification will follow if discovered.

Of course, you cannot use glitches or stalling to either disable your opponent or indefinitely suspend match play. Doing so can lead to match forfeiture or tournament disqualification and is at the judge's discretion.

In an effort to prevent bracket manipulation and to preserve the spirit of the tournament, the following rule is in effect. Matches or entire sets may not, under any circumstances, be voluntarily forfeit by any player for any reason. Match or set forfeiture occurs upon the discovery of a broken rule. Absence from a match or set or voluntary forfeiture will result in total disqualification. Make sure you have a way of being contacted if you happen to be absent from your set when the time to play comes. You can also notify tournament staff if you will be running late beforehand or at any time during the tournament.

Mages DQ Rule:
2 Minutes Late – Warning
4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late – Loss of set

Coaching is allowed between matches, but no mid-match instruction may occur. Talking, sneering, and giggling from coaches is allowed, but coaches can be silenced at the request of any player currently engaged in a set.

Trash talking IS ENCOURAGED. No fighting, no rough stuff, no overly abusive language or yelling...you know the deal. Be nice, and try to be good about when you lose because (almost) everyone is guaranteed to lose at least once, so just be good about it.

Please bring your own controller. Please.

There are plenty of food options available near by. In fact there's a nice chinese place to eat right next door!

If you need housing, there are plenty of friendly WNY smashers who will be willing to help you out!

POSSIBLE ATTENDANCE:
Xiivi
Shiri
Goodies
da K.I.D.
Bailey
Lean
I.B
beefbutcher88
MalcomM
cam`
Marth126
Camalange
Ayaz18
the_yoshinator
plairnkk
Sadaharu_Inui
Mew2King
g-regulate
Atomsk
JesiahTEG
Niko_K
Anonymous.
PikaPika!
NintendoDude1189
PointyStickODoom
JayBee
Boxob.
Pastaboy
Pierce7d
Pgh-M@V-Pgh
TheKneeOfJustice
Ranjiz
Silverspawnmaster
Violent-nin
Ownasaurus
RaynEX
And many more who these people are bringing along with them!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
your yoshi sprites are inferior to mmac's

lol

Shiri, you promised to team with me, and I am cashing in on that favor...

you only have to play with me for brawl.

you can play with whoever you want for melee

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Sounds epic, except Pictochat. MK is SOOOOOOO gay on Pictochat, as is D3. In fact, that stage is just gay in general.

I approve of Delfino being Neutral.
Norfair however, is dumb. It has decided matches before. For me, never in tourney, due to the fact that I usually ban it against any character that might want to fight there, and most people don't like Norfair vs. Marth. However, the lava streams that come from in the background, sometimes in many groups and one after another, can kill you if you were already airborne/engaged in combat, and there are times when there is just nothing you could've done about it. It's decided some epic matches for me, to me and my opponent's great disappointment.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I dont know why the first post says that we have abundant housing, cause i cant think of many people around here that dont live in dorms, and dorms =/= space to house other ppl...

but i should be abel to house like 3-4 people if they give me super advance notice

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Im gonna get to this somehow and im gonna need housing. Pierce is ZB coming or are u jus posting for fun? if you guys are going mayb we can travel 2gether? =D (sidenote...i will need housing)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Wow, I really hope I can go to this.

Boxob, JayBee, KID, Malcom, and I need to represent our Steak. By the time this tournament is over, people will cry when they hear "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!"

...I'll need housing too.

:093:

Bailey

Smash Hero
Ok if me and Lean come we'd leave thurday around 7 pm. We would need a place to stay until Sunday when we'd leave.

Shiri = D ?

Xiivi = D ?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
KID, I'd love you forever if you did that.

I'll talk to my friend about it and get back to you asap.

:093:

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Ok if me and Lean come we'd leave thurday around 7 pm. We would need a place to stay until Sunday when we'd leave.

Shiri = D ?

Xiivi = D ?
I don't know if I specifically would be able to house someone, I can see if I can. However I know people such as JesiahTEG, beefbutcher88, and others will probably be able and willing to house people. Just wait for them to all start posting. I'm sure someone will take you up.

You guys are one of the first to ask, so you'll have priority. :p

beefbutcher88

Smash Ace
I have a house. I could put up a couple people. I don't play Brawl though, so I'd prefer it to be people who play Melee and are down to play a whole bunch in preparation. Perhaps down a brew or eight in the process. Also, I'd prefer it's people I know, but that's not a must. Word.

PS: Amir has herpes. Don't get within 50 feet of him, it's violently contagious.

PPS: On an unrelated note, if any attractive female smashers need a place to stay, I happen to be very good looking. And sensitive to your needs. Just thought I'd put that out there.

M@v

Subarashii!
Maybe. Im going to COT4 the weekend right after, So I dont know If Ill have time or money to go to this. Ill have to see.

Sharky

Smash Master
I could probably make it to the Sunday part of this. I'd need a ride to/from the bus station, though. Any takers?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
may come and steal western ny monies as per usual =D

maybe not though. im lazy and brawl is boring

we shall see how im feelin

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'll try to get here

If I do, Two T.V's Brawl + melee

(don't confirm me).....................this is only for kid :)
awesome, im loved...
PS: Amir has herpes. Don't get within 50 feet of him, it's violently contagious.
word, its rediculous, its like an all body thing... hes painful to look at.
PPS: On an unrelated note, if any attractive female smashers need a place to stay, I happen to be very good looking. And sensitive to your needs. Just thought I'd put that out there.
i would make the same offer but i know thosedont exist

lolj/k

I could probably make it to the Sunday part of this. I'd need a ride to/from the bus station, though. Any takers?
i hope you got better son, cause i know i havent.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
OH SNAP
I forgot about her.
Xiivi has this really nice picture of her, shes actually madd cute, hopefully hell repost it.

EDIt
Im down for any and all ganon dittos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom