• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Draw With Your Power!! Currently going through a transition. HINT FOR WEEK 12!!

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
draw with your power

*This was originally slated to go in the Artwork Emporium, but I realized that the majority of SWF never goes there.​

First there was Write With Your Power, for our incredibly creative community. Then, Debate With Your Power, for those of us who love arguing. We even have Chess With Your Power. Now, I propose a new challenge to your power: DRAW WITH YOUR POWER!

"Draw with your power?" What's that?

Draw With Your Power (or DWYP for short) is a creative art contest. Each 'week' (which may end up being more than a week), I will submit a Smash character for you to draw... In your own rendition. That's right, your own style. Ever thought that Mewtwo should have had his Robot armor as an alternate costume? Make it. Did you hope that Luigi would get a chef outfit in Brawl? Give him one. Love the idea of an 8-bit Link? Do it! Be as creative as possible. At the end of each week, the SWF community will vote on which rendition is the best.​

In short: DWYP is a SSB drawing contest, in which you draw characters your way.

Rules and Tips

1) Be creative. You probably won't get very far if you just trace a picture of Mario.​

2) No nudity. Please. Really, people.​

3) No submissions past the deadlines. Even if you're a minute late.​

4) I change the rules often. Check the OP every once in a while.

5) Have fun with it!

6) No flaming whatsoever. Constructive critisism is good.

7) Multiple entries are allowed.

8) WHEN SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, PLEASE SAY HOW YOU MADE IT. OTHERWISE, IT WILL BE IGNORED!

9) Only one person can work on each entry. Sorry, no colaberations. I want everyone to have an equal chance.

Types of art allowed

Anything from Microsoft Paint to ceramic animals dressed up in funny outfits. However, if you do a digital artwork, you CANNOT use any existing image of the character.

Judging

When it's time to judge, the entire SWF community will have the chance to vote on your work. I have no say in who wins, besides who I vote for. There are 3 categories: Hand-drawn, which includes doodles, comics, paintings, and the like; Digital, for anything made on a computer, be it on paint or photoshop; and Other, for macaroni art, marble statues, and the like.

Of course, you can't vote for yourself.

There is also an overall best vote, for which peice of art you think is the all-around best, and a most creative vote, for which one you think had the best idea (if not exactly drawn the best).

In total, each round, you will have potentially 5 votes to use.

If there is ever a tie, another voting contest will be held between the two.​

VOTING FORMAT

Hand-Drawn: ***
Digital: ***
Creative: ***
Overall: ***​

Do I get anything if I win?!

Eh, I might add you to my friend list. Or maybe I'll make a Character Selection screen with the winners of each category.​

But really, I know you want to be in my friend list.​

CURRENT ENTRIES

HAND-DRAWN
neous (Doodle)
neous (I ate Boozer)
neous (Meacha Leg DD Knight)
Zook

DIGITAL
matt4300
Dragonoise
neous (Again? wtf? M&M)
neous (Dude has no life. Alt. Costumes)​

OTHER
Recoil

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

~ WEEK 1: Yoshi
~ WEEK 2: Zelda
~ WEEK 3: Jigglypuff
~ WEEK 4: Luigi
~ WEEK 5: Bowser
~ WEEK 6: Lucas
~ WEEK 7: Ivysaur

Winners

WEEK 1: YOSHI

Overall: matt4300

Hand-Drawn: matt4300
Digital: Spire III

WEEK 2: ZELDA

Overall: Spire III

Hand-Drawn: YagamiDark
Digital: Spire III
Creative: Zook

WEEK 3: JIGGLYPUFF

Overall: Alex3

Hand Drawn: Yagami Dark and Grunt
Digital: Zylar
Most Creative: Yagami Dark and Zook

WEEK 4: LUIGI

Overall: Grunt

Hand Drawn: Vulcan55 (SHORYUKEN!)
Digital: Zylar
Most Creative: Grunt and Keto

WEEK 5: BOWSER

Overall: Ange

Hand Drawn: Denzi
Digital: Legretta the Quick
Most Creative: Ange

WEEK 6: LUCAS

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
This is a really interesting idea Zook! Hopefully this will draw these GBD guys to the other forums, since I'm sure they're unaware of them.

Wait, I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Eitherway, this is posted in the artwork forum too I assume?

Leo Daza

Smash Cadet
I think this is a great idea. The rules are great, simple, but to the point. I will definitely participate in this, specially with Christmas break and all.

I'll star practicing my ssb drawing skills so i can produce something good.

Edit: also, will it be computer-drawn objects only, or hand drawn as well? and will filtering be/not be allowed? might want to mention these things as well.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'm up for this, sounds really good. This could bring more life into the artwork scene on the boards, which is mostly about sig making. Rules are fine, although 1 and 4 are pretty much the same thing.

Couple of questions. I'm guessing any media is allowed, ie. hand drawn, paintings, photoshops etc. Maybe should point that out. And do the drawings have to be SSB specific? Could it be, like for example, characters you wanted in Brawl?

What with some free time over the holidays I'll have a greater chance of participating. Haven't drawn for a while, so this is a good reason to get back to it. Really good idea Zook, can't wait.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Sounds like an AMAZING idea, Zook.

I'm looking forward to this, even though my drawing skills are sub-par, I'd really like to see what people can come up with. I personally don't have any suggestions for rules, sorry.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
This is a really interesting idea Zook! Hopefully this will draw these GBD guys to the other forums, since I'm sure they're unaware of them.

Wait, I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Eitherway, this is posted in the artwork forum too I assume?
No, it isn't. Should I?

I'm up for this, sounds really good. This could bring more life into the artwork scene on the boards, which is mostly about sig making. Rules are fine, although 1 and 4 are pretty much the same thing.

Couple of questions. I'm guessing any media is allowed, ie. hand drawn, paintings, photoshops etc. Maybe should point that out. And do the drawings have to be SSB specific? Could it be, like for example, characters you wanted in Brawl?

What with some free time over the holidays I'll have a greater chance of participating. Haven't drawn for a while, so this is a good reason to get back to it. Really good idea Zook, can't wait.
Great questions! Well, I was originally going to have it be hand drawn/computer drawn, but I think I'll allow photoshops, too. Maybe. And yes, I was planning on having wanted-characters, too!

Sounds cool, so when does it start?
Within the next week, hopefully. Week 1 will be Yoshi, btw.

I demand royalties for the title. :mad:

(hehe, good idea here!)
I'll be sure to send any money I make through this thread directly to you, Matt.

(Matt complimented me! My day has been made!)

edit: WEEK 1 HAS BEGUN! BEST OF LUCK! THE DEADLINE IS JANUARY 1, 2009.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I'm voting for whoever makes a yoshi with a Christmas hat and adorable Christmas booties.

ndayday

BRoomer
Do we just draw Yoshi, or is there a special theme we have to follow?

And I just thought of something as far as rules go. Are we allowed to use artwork made before the contest, or does the image have to be specifically for the contest? Also, are you able to get it critiqued in certain boards? *coughartworkemporiumcough*

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Do we just draw Yoshi, or is there a special theme we have to follow?

And I just thought of something as far as rules go. Are we allowed to use artwork made before the contest, or does the image have to be specifically for the contest? Also, are you able to get it critiqued in certain boards? *coughartworkemporiumcough*
No theme is necessary.

Hmm, good question. The art must be made specifically for this contest.

And there is an Artwork Emporium thread now.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
To be certain, it has to be hand drawn right?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It didn't say hand drawn. ._.
But okay.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Wait what?

So that means no collages? No computer art? Lame. Guess I'm out then. I have no artistic talent outside of music and sticking pieces of paper together.

Barge

You can't use computer programs? >_>
Thats pretty lame, since most of the artists nowadays use computer programs to draw.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Due to popular demand, I'm going to allow ALL art forms. Anything and everything. Make a marble statue for all I care.

Last time I change the rules, I mean it.

Barge

Marble Statues would win.
I'd pay to see someone submit a marble statue of king DDD

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
and you DRAW on the computer. as long as you can prove that you didnt just copy and paste it i think they should be allowed. Also by making it handrawn you also knocked out the other catorgories such as sculpture and macaroni art. I am usually one of the people who prefer to drw on the compiter and you just denied me and the likes entrance into this competion.
*unsubscribes*

EDit: nevermind im happy now

ndayday

BRoomer
Zook, I don't know about you, but I see drawing and computer generated drawings pretty far away from eachother as far as the skill used to make the image et cetera. I feel like I'm bossing you around, but wouldn't it be appropriate to have separate divisions?

If what I think that the whole contest is about is right, this might not be applicable since two winners from two different mediums wouldn't really work out. Just my thoughts. It's fine as it is now, I have so many ideas for this.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Zook, I don't know about you, but I see drawing and computer generated drawings pretty far away from eachother as far as the skill used to make the image et cetera. I feel like I'm bossing you around, but wouldn't it be appropriate to have separate divisions?

If what I think that the whole contest is about is right, this might not be applicable since two winners from two different mediums wouldn't really work out. Just my thoughts. It's fine as it is now, I have so many ideas for this.
Don't worry, I love your opinions. :laugh:

Perhaps I should add a fourth and fifth voting category, for digital and hand-made submissions? The majority of SWF seems to be digitally-based artists, and I'd hate to repel so many people from this contest.

This project is still very, very new, and can be molded a bit.

EDIT: I'm not sure about different categories. Because of how the contest is set up, we could end up with dozens of different categories, with just 1 submission per category. Unless we were to seperate digital and hand-made. Which could work.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
So we just post our entry here? If so I'll edit this post once I'm done my drawing

Here's my entry, drawn with marker, colored in photoshop, 'scanned' with an integrated webcam because my scanner didn't work

Here it is non-colored just because: Non-colored version

I'm not an artist and only did this because I was bored :p

Snare

Smash Lord
sweet brawl art contest woo!

im goin go out on a limb here and guess that since this is "week" 1, the due date is next week? <<

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Zook!

This is what you could do, assuming it's actually a good idea.

Have Four categories:

1) Hand-Drawn
2) Computer Generated
3) Other (Collage, marble statues, etc)
4) Best Overall

Does that work?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I believe this thread should stay true to its original intent and be based on DRAWN images, and DRAWN images only. The way in which a person goes about drawing can be carried out in numerous ways. For something to be "hand drawn" one must actually create the image from scratch, even if a reference image is used (to look at). Whether you sketch the drawing on paper, paint it on a canvas, draw it in MS Paint, sketch it in photoshop or heck, paint it in photoshop, you're still hand drawing.

Many people don't even understand that photoshop can be used as a painting tool, or a drawing tool, as they assume that its sole purpose is "photo shopping". Editing pictures is NOT DRAWING. No matter how many filters you bestow on an image, and how far you manipulate it, it's still not a drawing. If it's not a hand drawn drawing it shot NOT be allowed in this contest.

I happen to be a digital artist, who primarily work with PS CS4, Painter, Illustrator CS4, etc. I may consider doing some drawings for this contest if I find the time to do so. :)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Zook!

This is what you could do, assuming it's actually a good idea.

Have Four categories:

1) Hand-Drawn
2) Computer Generated
3) Other (Collage, marble statues, etc)
4) Best Overall

Does that work?
This is precisly what I was thinking of doing, to be honest.

I believe this thread should stay true to its original intent and be based on DRAWN images, and DRAWN images only. The way in which a person goes about drawing can be carried out in numerous ways. For something to be "hand drawn" one must actually create the image from scratch, even if a reference image is used (to look at). Whether you sketch the drawing on paper, paint it on a canvas, draw it in MS Paint, sketch it in photoshop or heck, paint it in photoshop, you're still hand drawing.

Many people don't even understand that photoshop can be used as a painting tool, or a drawing tool, as they assume only that they can edit pictures. Editing pictures is NOT DRAWING. No matter how many filters you bestow on an image, and how far you manipulate it, it's still not a drawing. If it's not a hand drawn drawing it shot NOT be allowed in this contest.

I happen to be a digital artist, who primarily work with PS CS4, Painter, Illustrator CS4, etc. I may consider doing some drawings for this contest if I find the time to do so. :)
I still want to allow other things, such as macaroni art, marble statues, and collages, which wouldn't fall under hand-drawn.

...Bah, I can't handle this decision, so I'll ask everyone this: Should we allow editted (Photoshop'd) images in this contest? Why or why not?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
All art should be allowed in this contest. Only then will it be a true artistry (is that even a real word?) contest.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Perhaps, but this isn't labeled an "artistry" contest but a "Drawing" contest. :p Macaroni art is NOT drawing.
It's only called 'Draw With Your Power' because 'Create Art With Your Power' is a terrible, terrible name. So sorry if that confused you.

When I came up with the idea for this thread this morning while taking a shower, I intended it to be a purely drawing contest. Now, I want it to be more of an art-contest.

Besides, macaroni artists sketch the image the make before gluing the pasta.

And this is about editted images right now, so don't change the subject.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Editing? Like making sigs and the like in PS? I don't think that should be allowed. What about saying that the work has to be "created from scratch".

Top Bottom