• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My first tourney (in a LONG TIME) 2nd tourney up

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Being at college with no car absolutely sucks. There is no way to get around and go to tourney's or play really good smashers Kirk and Chompy where there and they dominated. For the first time in months and since joining smashboards, I went to my first tourney.

1st match:

Now I have to say I'm kind of embarrassed to how I started out. My first opponent was an MK player.I had him beat on battlefield no contest and then he got a kill in. It's okay though, still up 2 to 1 lives right? We'll then he got an early gimp in. Okay, I'm still in this thing, one more life left. We'll I got to Dair his recovery, I had done it before to his shuttle loop so I think no problem I got this. Unfortunately, I hit him during those dam super armor frames. I end up flying forward and getting staged spiked.

Naturally I was pissed. I was thinking about going marth until I remembered Norfair. So I counter picked and the match begun. Within the first few seconds, I had already SD'd myself. Apparently I misjudged my offstage spacing and ended up failing to my bad recovery. I fought back. I was still in the game and I got him down to his last life, then we traded hits and we both were sent flying off the screen. Unfortunately, I died via blast zone before he died via low ceiling.

2nd match.

I was up against a DDD player. He was really annoying and kind of a scrub. All he did was go for chaingrabs. All I did was keep a bomb in hand and zair his brains out. I took the first match easily by 2 stocks.

He counter picked castle siege and I figured out why early. I had a huge 1 life advantage but then we got to the walk off part and he chain grabbed me off the stage. I was pissed and came back with righteous furry. I still ended up 2 stocking him.

3rd match

The third match was against a G&W player. This would be the only match I would play marth in. You guys aren't interested in that though, I had a 3 to 1 advantage in lives but he came back somehow.

The second match was interesting. I used Norfair and Link once again. I didn't realize that G&W is actually decent at that level. All he does was u-air and it really messes you up. I couldn't figure out a way around it and I got him to about 60% on the last life before loosing.

I was eliminated :(

Epic Friendlies match

Too bad I didn't fight him in the tournament. I fought ITF. He mained Iceclimbers and wanted to play my Link. Says he really never faced any. This guy was no scrub, he did pretty well in the tourney.

The first match was on smashville and was long and hard. There was no timer and if there was we might have gone over. Basically he went for grabs a lot and used a lot of desynch techniques. ME? well...I bomb spammed. He only got near me a few times and the few times he did I had a bomb in hand. I also made great use of ZAC to keep my bomb in hand. He did get a few grabs on me. The few that he did he did like 20-30 damage but my trusty bomb would always help me out. Finally he got me down to my last life, I came in there and with a mighy F-smash, I vanquished him.

He counter picked Pictochat. He wiped the floor with me, 3 Stocked. I tried to use the level changing to my advantage but it ended up working against me. I would try to spam but things like wind would just push me around and mess up my spacing. He got a few grabs in and it was that quick.

The third match was on Norfair. The poor guy didn't stand a chance. Not only is Norfair a great Link stage, it is a really bad IC stage. I just out spammed him in every ways shape and form. He never even got a legit grab in. I ended up with a 3 stock and a smile.

Other:

Nintenjoe was suppose to meet me there but I never saw him. What happened man?

I got to say I learned so much from this tournament. I learned that my online style of play is complete crap for real life. I also learned how to improve my spam game. YES I KNOW. IT WAS ALREADY GOOD BUT IT'S SO MUCH BETTER NOW. This is mostly because I finally learned how to make those full adjustments from spam game into spacing game and back again. too bad I learned this lesson after the tournament during my friendlies and not before.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Good to kno sword, stay active in the irl tourney scene and get link some recognition, even though u lost you learned right.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
The description of our friendly is very accurate (unfortunately).

I'll find a way around your wall eventually!!!

:)

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Great read Swordplay. And grats on going to a tournament!! :)

But yeah, I have the same problem. If I play too much Wifi it totally screws up my tournament play; so I do my best to avoid it. But lately I can't help it; link dittos with you guys are too funn. xD

I'm hoping to go to a tournament during the winter break.

Deva

Smash Lord
Tournament experience is always the best, I'm glad you were able to get some in and I'm glad it helped so much. And yes, G&W does great on Norfair. Dont think of Norfair as a counterpick in some matchups as much as an equalizer. Some characters do well on Norfair like G&W, Marth, Olimar, etc, but it gives Link enough of an advantage so that the matchup is at least even. I wouldnt consider Link having a disadvantage against anyone on that stage.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
That's Ok, as long as you get some tourney experience its better than nothing. I just hope you're not the type of dude who thinks they wasted their money :p

Also a note, dont play wi-fi TOO much if you're going to a tourney soon, it really messes up your game, especially us Link mainers

Thiago26792

Smash Rookie
I don't do very good at tourneys either. I guess it's because I only play WI-FI. I'm starting to realize just how much it affects us.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I played again. I placed 17th out of like 40. I made it to round 4. I had to face chompy who won the whole thing. I also did REALLY well against him. games were long and close.

I will have many vids up soon. I have to find them. Most or all will be doubles.

In the tourney thread Legan said he for the aurora tourney in IL would be there But I didn't see him. What happened man?

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
I played again. I placed 17th out of like 40. I made it to round 4. I had to face chompy who won the whole thing. I also did REALLY well against him. games were long and close.

I will have many vids up soon. I have to find them. Most or all will be doubles.

In the tourney thread Legan said he for the aurora tourney in IL would be there But I didn't see him. What happened man?
Chompy? the diddy user?

Legan

Smash Lord

Yea I was gunnna go but we decided not to at the last minute because play n trade venues are small as hell and we didnt want to drive 4 hours if we werent going to be able to play alot of friendlies. You should definately get a ride out to the Midwest championships next week swordplay. That ****s gunna be wild

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
first tourney sounds like mine. keep it up, nice job and keep getting the tourney experience u dont wanna lose ur touch

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Chompy? the diddy user?
Yea. He was like a neighbor for a while and he suddenly showed up so I was like shot. I took only 1 out of 3 matches against his diddy. Its beast. All the matches came down to one life. I'm going to go search for those vids.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
Yea. He was like a neighbor for a while and he suddenly showed up so I was like shot. I took only 1 out of 3 matches against his diddy. Its beast. All the matches came down to one life. I'm going to go search for those vids.
Yeah i know him, we play on wifi alot :p we'll use too, he's really good
...... with teh nanerz!!11! lol

Swordplay

Smash Lord
OMG NO I have bad news.

Those replays were saved on a hacked wii. Because of this, they didn't transfer over properly. I have no replays now :(

here is the PM i got from Retro Gamer.

Retro Gaming said:
All the replays came out weird. It doesn't know how to handle them and they don't look at all like they did in game. Everyone suicides, all of the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon come back on the platform and stay up there for more than ten seconds in the Pokeball, etc.
Sorry to dissapoint the Link community, but I guess the unlimited replays hack isn't particularly effective. Maybe its the fact that I sent it to an SD card or something, but the games looked more or less like:

3, 2, 1, GO!

Everyone jumps off-the stage and commits suicide.

When the next Pokemon's Pokeball gets thrown onto the recovery platform it just sits there for at least ten seconds.

=/

DeTa

Smash Apprentice
darn, I was looking forward to those replays since I have not played in a tourney yet

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
OMG NO I have bad news.

Those replays were saved on a hacked wii. Because of this, they didn't transfer over properly. I have no replays now :(

here is the PM i got from Retro Gamer.
Nah, you just have to load the unlimited replays hack again, and watch the replays on the hacked Wii, they'll look as the real thing again.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Nah, you just have to load the unlimited replays hack again, and watch the replays on the hacked Wii, they'll look as the real thing again.

actually the guy who saved them on his SD card has the hack. there was a weird transfer problem he can't figure out.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Im just telling you because a friend had the same problem when he tried watching the (more than 3 min) replays on a Wii without previously loading the hack and suddenly the chars started suiciding on their own. Then he loaded the hack, and replays went as they should.

If there's a problem beyond that, sorry about that.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Naw they had to have some other code on like no trip or sum **** idk. The unlimited replay hack doesnt do that by itself

Top Bottom