• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Pivot Grabbing (An idea to improve Ganon's Grab)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Reverse Pivot Grabbing
---

A reverse Pivot Grab. It's done by pressing the back along stick into a dash and then pressing forward grab. If quickly and simultaneously Ganon will be able to grab forward, remain the same distance from his opponent and increase his grab range by a good amount. It's quicker than a regular dash grab, and with less cool down lag, though not too much.

Ray Kalm has brought forth another way to Reverse Pivot Grab without the backwards momentum. Its the same concept of the Stuttered Step Fsmash but with Z added in the middle.

Press the analong stick back while pressing C-stick forward and Z at the same time. (Right Kalm?)
---

Great concepts of the RPG.

1. Teleporting range. I've said this often when explaining the RPG, but its just true. Ganon's grab range is increased by such a level that characters will look as if they popped into his dark fist. He won't even touch them, he'll just swipe at the air and suddenly you have them by the neck. It's just that awesome.

2. This is merely theoretical but its seems like it would work. This should be a great spacer for Ganondorf. You can avoid short ranged attacks while simulatneously attacking.

3. Since grabs have the unnaturally high priority on them in which they go through shields and basically all kinds of attacks. This might just be a great way to add some of the offensive and Ganon's already good defense.

4. Shield Grabbing actually becomes slightly useful now. Although I must admit that while it is possible to RPG Shield Grab, it can be kind of difficult. You need to drop your shield first, not for long at all, just for a few miliseconds or something, and then RPG. Otherwise you'll porbably just roll.

5. Grab Release characters have something to fear.
---

A few questions to go over.

1. What is the best way to do an RPG with the least amount of backwards momentum. Ray Kalm bought one that is the working the best right now.

2. How does this affect matchups where approaching Ganon is an option and how, if it does as it probably should, help Ganon out.

Any other answers or questions would be great. Get working now!

Gleam

Smash Ace
This is from a standstill? Correct?

I do this whenever I want to grab forward and I'm not dashing. With all my characters.
Yep done from a Standstill.

So, hypothetically shouldn't this greatly help out Ganon against those who suffer from grab releases grabs like Lucas and Wario? And if so, shouldn't this also increase his chances of winning the matches?

Since his pivot grab decently increases his grab range and all that? Not to mention that I haven't really seen people do this and I just recently started messing around with it and found it.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
The problem is consistently doing it, I have to admit I still haven't been able to pull off the reverse pivot grab with anyone yet. But all Ganon needs is a range boost since what some people don't realize is Ganon has one of the fastest grabs. Throw in some really good followups out of his down throw and you got heavy untapped potential if you could fix this one flaw.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Well since I think it's far easier than the FoG, with enough practice anyone should be able to do it consistently. I mean if one can perfect FoG to use it consistently, then this should be even easier. Just takes time and practice, that's all.

and Ganon's Reverse Pivot Grab is pretty darn fast and already has much better range than his normal grab which is a big deal at any case.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I like this, Gleam.

Let me see if I'm getting this right:

This is essentially a Dash Cancelled pivot Grab, yeah? Dash backwards, cancel the animation into a pivot grab. If you do it quickly enough you shouldn't really move laterally much at all, right?

Gleam

Smash Ace
I like this, Gleam.

Let me see if I'm getting this right:

This is essentially a Dash Cancelled pivot Grab, yeah? Dash backwards, cancel the animation into a pivot grab. If you do it quickly enough you shouldn't really move laterally much at all, right?
Yes. If you want to have it where you have no backwards momentum. The best way I can think of is to just quickly press the analong stick back like in a dash and then move it forward immediately while grabbing. You've got be farily quick on it, but its possible and does get easier over time.

In most cases if you do it, and your quick but not right on the dot or something. You'll have a bit of latteral movement. However Ganon's grab range is increased drastically over the matter to the point where characters pretty much teleport into his grab. It gets that much of a range boost.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
This isn't too hard. I do this with Ness all the time because his standing grab isn't that great. However, one thing to keep in mind is the range on his grab. You don't want to get hit by longer ranged attacks.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
I really like this idea. It gives Ganondorf a pretty fast and deceptive offensive swipe, and the "cooldown" isn't too bad. If you run into an attack, you might be in trouble, but otherwise you stand a good chance of landing a surprise grab. Might not be too important for characters who already have a lot of close-range options, but Ganondorf needs all the help he can get n that spot.

Gleam

Smash Ace
So wait

Dash backward, pivot grab? So basically just grab out of a very small dashdance?
Yep, quickly...but that is basically it.

It's points like these where I wish I could put and upload videos on Youtube and stuff. if anything if someone wants to just get on Wifi, I could show you all and one of you can get the videos. I can promise its easier done than said.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Bump to save this thread from being forgotten. GOOD SH*T in here.

Gleam,

P.S. I love you. No homo.

If people aren't effing around with this, GET ON IT. The grab range is phenomenal.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I've been messing around with this and been getting some good results out of it.

What exactly determines the slide?

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I've been messing around with this and been getting some good results out of it.

What exactly determines the slide?
I'm not sure yet. Gleam, can you shed some light on this? I can't do a stationary pivot very consistently without the Dash sliding me backwards a bit. I will say though, even with the slide, I was using this in some teams matches yesterday and was LOVING what it was doing for my range and quickness overall.

Everybody get to work on this. Gleam has given us the best piece of Ganon intel we've seen in a while and it'd be a shame if we don't milk it for all it's worth. People have been clamoring for a better grab range as a way to help Ganon's metagame massively. Well, merry christmas. Santa Gleam got you just what you wanted.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I'm not sure yet. Gleam, can you shed some light on this? I can't do a stationary pivot very consistently without the Dash sliding me backwards a bit. I will say though, even with the slide, I was using this in some teams matches yesterday and was LOVING what it was doing for my range and quickness overall.

Everybody get to work on this. Gleam has given us the best piece of Ganon intel we've seen in a while and it'd be a shame if we don't milk it for all it's worth. People have been clamoring for a better grab range as a way to help Ganon's metagame massively. Well, merry christmas. Santa Gleam got you just what you wanted.
Isn't there a somewhat easier way of doing this? Rotate the control stick back then the c-stick in the opposite direction, with Z in between. Kinda like doing a stutter step but, with Z in between.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Yeah, Kalm, I think that should work. I like the sounds of that. I've been doing Control stick Dash back, tilt forward and Z at the same time. If you can "SS" this sh*t, that would be a lot easier and a lot more consistent.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I'm going to do some more testing on it, just in case something changes in the way its applicated. But as far as I know its based mainly on quickness and the backward running motion before the grab. I mean even I can't consistently Reverse Pivot Grab without moving some bit.

As best as I can explain at the moment it is to basically grab forward right after you start your running animation backward. Just instantly. I mean there are times when I won't move at all, and there times when I'll move back a bit.

I don't have anyway to see if Frame Data could help, but if someone wanted to look on that, might help.

EDIT: Tell me if that works better, your idea Kalm?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I'm going to do some more testing on it, just in case something changes in the way its applicated. But as far as I know its based mainly on quickness and the backward running motion before the grab. I mean even I can't consistently Reverse Pivot Grab without moving some bit.

As best as I can explain at the moment it is to basically grab forward right after you start your running animation backward. Just instantly. I mean there are times when I won't move at all, and there times when I'll move back a bit.

I don't have anyway to see if Frame Data could help, but if someone wanted to look on that, might help.

EDIT: Tell me if that works better, your idea Kalm?
If you're talking about the start-up and ending lag then, our regular grab is faster both ways.

Edit: Unless you were wanting to intercept the concepts of the reverse grab.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Well were trying to see if there's a way to easily do the RPG consistently without the backwards movement of the grab. I was wondering if your whole idea of the Stutter Stepped Grab had any merit at all?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Well were trying to see if there's a way to easily do the RPG consistently without the backwards movement of the grab. I was wondering if your whole idea of the Stutter Stepped Grab had any merit at all?
Well, I've gotten less slide momentums from it. Which I think is because the stutter version has less input delay.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Well, I've gotten less slide momentums from it. Which I think is because the stutter version has less input delay.
Well at least we know there is a way to get less momentum. However just wondering, does his have any other major affects on the control schemes, and if it does, how does help or probably more importantly, hurt us?

EDIT: Also Kalm quick question. For the Stuttered Step Reverse Pivot Grab. I assume you still have the C-stick on Smash. What I've been doing is pressing the C-stick forward to the oponent, while simulataneously pressing the analong stick backwards and pressing Z.

This has given me much better results as far as less momentum, but is this what your talking about?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I play Ganon from time to time and have messed around with this but when would you do this instead of a regular running grab? The running grab seems to have almost the same range as his ftilt and is easier to do (not mess up on) than this.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I play Ganon from time to time and have messed around with this but when would you do this instead of a regular running grab? The running grab seems to have almost the same range as his ftilt and is easier to do (not mess up on) than this.
The Reverse Pivot Grab is faster and even if didn't have as big a range as Running grab, its still very good. Not to mention Running grabs are very easy to avoid.

Reverse Pivot Grabs can come out near instant really depending on how fast you are. But not only that, but because of the momnetum movement, not only can "somewhat" space against characters...but unlike the running grab, character teleport into Ganon's hand when he does a Reverse Pivot Grab.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
The Reverse Pivot Grab is faster and even if didn't have as big a range as Running grab, its still very good. Not to mention Running grabs are very easy to avoid.

Reverse Pivot Grabs can come out near instant really depending on how fast you are. But not only that, but because of the momnetum movement, not only can "somewhat" space against characters...but unlike the running grab, character teleport into Ganon's hand when he does a Reverse Pivot Grab.
I haven't done any data on it, but pivot grabbing has got to have a lot better cool down than a running grab.

I'd say IN THEORY that if one could consistently do non-sliding RPGs in place of regular forward grabbing, the whole way in which characters have to analyze Ganon's approach/spacing would change.

Also, Big O, why are you comparing Ganon's dash grab range to the range of his Ftilt in a discussion about pivot grabbing? Not only is it completely arbitrary, but Ftilt's range is not very good.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I just mentioned it as a reference since that move and the dash grab have about the same length. Even if it isn't great it is still better than his pivot grab range. Also if you don't time it right you will slide backwards which defeats the purpose of using it as a longer standing grab.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I haven't done any data on it, but pivot grabbing has got to have a lot better cool down than a running grab.

I'd say IN THEORY that if one could consistently do non-sliding RPGs in place of regular forward grabbing, the whole way in which characters have to analyze Ganon's approach/spacing would change.

Also, Big O, why are you comparing Ganon's dash grab range to the range of his Ftilt in a discussion about pivot grabbing? Not only is it completely arbitrary, but Ftilt's range is not very good.
I was testing it out, and yes...RPG does have less cool down lag than a Running grab. At least form what I saw...I mean frame data would be a far more accurate way to tell. But from what I can tell, it does have less Cool Down lag on it.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I just did some frame tests on Ganon's running grab and pivot grab. His running grab grabs on frame 11 and ends on frame 38 while his pivot grab (timed perfectly) grabs on frame 10 and ends on frame 35. Since dashing backwards takes 1 more frame than dashing forwards they grab at the same time. It isn't much faster and the cooldown isn't much better.

Gleam

Smash Ace
At any case, its still better than his dash grab. Tricky range and with the whole "teleporting into people into your hand" kind of grab it is, I think it acts as pretty good spacer. Not to mentions that unusually high priority grabs have just adds more to the RPG.

It's like DAD said. Once we get RPGing to where there's no momentum (And even a little momentum isn't going to hurt us I think.) people are going to have to approach ganon more carefully. This especially goes for the guys we have release grabs on like Wario and Lucas.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Bump. I've changed it up a bit to add some this new stuff about the RPG. At this point input on this would be great.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
In our ditto, Gleam RPG'd my Dtilt while he was like 1 mile away O_o'
Incredible! I was like "wtf?"

hyperstation

Smash Lord
It's true. Opponents literally teleport into Ganon's hands during an RPG. You can be maybe a body width and a half away. It's kind of insane.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Wow, so is Ganon's like the longest ranged in the game? (Other than tethers.)

Any character can RPG. You could take Dedede's already incredible grab range and Hax it with RPG. The thing here is is the fact that we've taken Ganon's aboslute worst grab range in the entire game...and basically haxed it to the point where its great.

Its something that could be very problematic to characters and I'm really starting to see an Advantage in a matchup comming soon because of this.

ItemfinderDeluxe

Smash Cadet
Sure you could theoretically RPG with anyone, but how fast roughly is Ganon's grab compared to everyone elses? I always though Ganon had a pretty fast grab off the bat, but it would need to be pretty fast compared to the cast to make it truely advantageous. Also, ha anyone tested out this move trying to grab characters out of their 'safe pokes' (ie. DDD, DK, & Marth f-tilt, etc)? 'Cause if you could FPG some of them out of their pokes, it would help Ganon's defensive options greatly.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Videos???

I haven't experimented with this at all (I've all but given up on trying to grab people with ganon) but from what im reading here it sounds very useful!

keep it up Gleam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom