• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries - The thread to end all threads.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Over at the Peach Boards I saw a thread where they discussed each secondary, I thought this would be a great idea considering everyone comes in and asks which is the best secondary, but not many people give good facts backing their claims.

So we will be discussing secondaries, the pro's and con's of each (how they help us to secondary, how they hurt us), what bad matchups they cover for us, what neutral matchups they make easier for us, etc.

We will not be discussing Meta Knight anytime soon because he is obviously 'everyone's' best secondary because as of right now he has no bad matchups.

Prepare Yourself | Stolen from the Peach Secondary Thread without permission said:
Learning Curves

Very Large (at least a month):
:yoshi2: :shiek: :zerosuitsamus: :popo: :snake: :sonic:
Above Average (2-3 weeks):
:peach: :bowser2: :diddy: :wario: :ganondorf: :samus2: :pt: :lucario:
Average(1-2 weeks):
:mario2: :luigi2: :dk2: :link2: :kirby2: :dedede: :olimar: :falcon: :pikachu2: :jigglypuff: :ike: :ness2: :fox:
Below Average (5 days to a week):
:zelda: :toonlink: :rob: :falco: :marth: :lucas:
Very Small (2-3 days):
:pit: :metaknight: :wolf: :gw:
I will choose our first discussion to be about:

Falco :falco:

I chose Falco because he is often said by people to be a good secondary, including myself.

Discuss:
  • Which bad matchups he covers for us:
  • Why him rather then another character for those matchups?:
  • What does he have that Snake doesn't? (Chaingrab/GOOD Spike for example)
  • What neutral matchups does he make easier for us? (DeDeDe for example)
  • Similarites: (Spammable B for example, lol)
  • Comparisons: (Good Bair/Dthrow for example)

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Falco is good at stopping people's momentum offstage with his laser, while Snake is all about reading their DI.

Falco may have a ledgeguarding game as good, maybe even better, than Snake's , depending on how they're played.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
* Which bad matchups he covers for us:
DDD for sure. He does quite well against ROB also.

* Why him rather then another character for those matchups?:
He's possible DDD's hardest counter, and the reflector and lasers shut down ROB.

* What does he have that Snake doesn't?
Reflector and fantastic aerials. It's great to not get completely owned in the air.

* What neutral matchups does he make easier for us? (DeDeDe for example)
ROB and DDD

* Similarites: (Spammable B for example, lol)
Fantastic projectiles, fantastic throws, very gimpable :(

* Comparisons: (Good Bair/Dthrow for example)
They both absolutely lock down a lot of opponents. Their camp games and throws put up an absolute wall that quite a few opponents will have a hell of a time getting around.

Overall, I recommend Falco pretty highly as a secondary. You can switch between the two easily since they have a somewhat similar playstyle, and they're both really good characters. Obviously, MK would be a better secondary, but he's also a better main :chuckle:

SuSa

I agree with Angel's post, and in the future try and be descriptive in your posts...

Especially you Mithx, that was a pretty wasted post. (Trying to avoid posts like that...)

edit:

@angel
"We will not be discussing Meta Knight anytime soon because he is obviously 'everyone's' best secondary because as of right now he has no bad matchups."

:mewtwo:

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I'll try to be more descriptive in the future, sorry. Falco's already been heavily discussed as a secondary, I didn't want to be redundant...

SuSa

Snake Dittos (what now, roflz)
King DeDeDe - He can CG DeDeDe, while DeDeDe is forced to tech-chase Falco. Falco also outcamps DeDeDe and pressures well with lasers.
Donkey Kong - He can CG-Spike Donkey Kong... this is helpful. He can also easily outcamp Donkey Kong, and isn't ***** as hard in the air.
I hear he gives Diddy a relatively hard time due to reflecting Nanners
ROB - Can reflect projectiles, CG

Because he can CG. - 10 small posts

* What does he have that Snake doesn't? (Chaingrab/GOOD Spike for example)
Chaingrab on a lot of the cast, especially heavyweights and fastfallers.
Has an easy to land Spike, unlike Snake's "tip of the ankle" only spike.
Can outcamp even Snake
Has a reflector
Less predictable, but still as easily punished, recovery.

He makes Pikachu a bit easier with Reflector, which stops thunderspam. He also makes a few other matchups easier but I forget which ones.

* Similarities: (Spammable B for example, lol)
Game is centered around camping, much like Snake's.
Down Throw is ****.

Whereas Snake is centered around camping, AND setting things up in advance (mines/c4), Falco is entirely dependant on what your opponent does. You can't "control the stage" as well as Snake, and you're waiting for your opponent to mess up rather then FORCING your opponent into a position.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
King Dedede

He's beast, he can CG D3 and one of his only bad match-ups Snake covers, (MK). Falco can pressure, and also scare D3 pretty fast.

Chaingrab, Reflector

King Dedede :laugh:, Wario

Can camp like a beast also, can DACUS and his Gatling Combo is like a contact Mortar Slide, both F-Smashes are pretty laggy

D-Throw can CG, Snake has a better jab, and better tilts than Falco, and both their games are completely different, Falco is more of a quick reaction type of game, based more around your opponent, Snake is more of a set up camp game, where you place your projectiles and your explosives in a way which can be to your benefit (like platform explosion traps)

Nic64

Smash Lord
he counters DDD and DDD is IMO snakes only truly disadvantaged match

he has some similarities to snake in how he'd play a DDD where as someone like MK or GAW would usually be very aggressive on DDD, so you can consistently play the same style. everyone will say MK is the best secondary for everyone(and I'd have to agree, snake and MK are my two best as of late), but beyond him falco is the next best choice IMO.

lasers and a reflector, almost no one will win a camping game with falco. better aerial mobility and aerial attacks as well

both characters are very good at tech chasing and camping, camp, put your opponent in a bad situation, chase and read them

both characters have fast somewhat spammable jab attacks that can stop a lot of things and get you out of trouble sometimes

both have recoveries that, while not terrible, need to be mixed up so as not to get gimp hammered/juggle *****

IMO in terms of snake secondaries, MK > Falco > GAW...and I must be the really weird one because I actually have an easier time with ROB using snake than falco =/

Nic64

Smash Lord
no harder than ROB or Falco IMO, I didn't say snake ***** everyone just that DDD is the only one that I think has the upper hand on him

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
G&W is easier than D3 imo.

I'd say Olimar is the best back-up. If you use Falco as a 2nd you'd have to do the Snake ditto, since Snake beats Falco. Olimar does well vs D3 too and you can use him against Snake just as good. If you dislike Snake dittos (and who doesn't?) you shouldn't go for Falco but Olimar...

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Snake Dittos (what now, roflz)
King DeDeDe - He can CG DeDeDe, while DeDeDe is forced to tech-chase Falco. Falco also outcamps DeDeDe and pressures well with lasers.
Donkey Kong - He can CG-Spike Donkey Kong... this is helpful. He can also easily outcamp Donkey Kong, and isn't ***** as hard in the air.
I hear he gives Diddy a relatively hard time due to reflecting Nanners
ROB - Can reflect projectiles, CG

Because he can CG. - 10 small posts

Chaingrab on a lot of the cast, especially heavyweights and fastfallers.
Has an easy to land Spike, unlike Snake's "tip of the ankle" only spike.
Can outcamp even Snake
Has a reflector
Less predictable, but still as easily punished, recovery.

He makes Pikachu a bit easier with Reflector, which stops thunderspam. He also makes a few other matchups easier but I forget which ones.

* Similarities: (Spammable B for example, lol)
Game is centered around camping, much like Snake's.
Down Throw is ****.

Whereas Snake is centered around camping, AND setting things up in advance (mines/c4), Falco is entirely dependant on what your opponent does. You can't "control the stage" as well as Snake, and you're waiting for your opponent to mess up rather then FORCING your opponent into a position.

Falco doesnt do good against rob. Only real thing he has going for him in that match up is he can outcamp rob, his CG doesnt really work very well at all on Rob. IIRC, the match up is 6-4 rob. No way falco beats him.

SuSa

Falco doesnt do good against rob. Only real thing he has going for him in that match up is he can outcamp rob, his CG doesnt really work very well at all on Rob. IIRC, the match up is 6-4 rob. No way falco beats him.
Every good ROB I've faced including HugS seems to go even with my Falco.

CG > CG > Gattling Combo = Free 40-50%

You outcamp him, and Rob's approaches aren't exactly the best IMO. Especially if you know the character.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Idk, I just feel very good with that match up... Especially cuz wants rob gets falco offstage, its like free percent or a stock gone. =P. Then again, last time I played a good falco with rob was in like in July, its possible im just outdated haha.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Falco has the advantage over ROB, I'm sure of it. ROB is completely outcamped and his approach options are easily beaten by proper shieldgrabbing or just phantasming through and lasering some more. Assuming the Falco is smart enough to stay out of Dsmash range, I think it's in his favor. The problem is when ROB decides to plank. Still, it's easier to deal with than MK's planking. You can reflector his own projectiles back and he's easier to stage spike with bair than MK is.

As far as gimping, MK has an easier time gimping Falco, and aren't people trying to say that fight is 55/45 MK? Falco just has to not get knocked off stage. It's not that hard when you play a smart laser game.

-Ran

Smash Master
There are some characters that are easy to learn, but take a special 'something' to get out of the middle class of the character. Sure, you could pick up Game and Watch in a few days, but you won't be a high level Game and Watch that will win a tournament. You'll have functional knowledge of the character that will hinge upon your natural talent at Smash brothers. I always laugh in my head when someone switches to Meta Knight after I've beaten their main, simply because Meta Knight has a massive valley between the two mountains of 'n00b' and 'Pro.'

Most people never make it up that mountain, and others call it just an anthill. It is nice to know of the character, and the basics, but sometimes taking a secondary requires going away from the 'ease' of use and more into the depth that the character represents. I suppose, it's best said that everyone knows how to play against the 'Day 3 Character' because fundamentally they all play exactly the same.

Beware of shallow secondaries; if you don't, you'll find yourself using your main even in your bad match ups.

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
I use Captain Falcon as my secondary for double the manliness.

Seriously though since most of my play time is on WiFi I mostly play Ness/Falcon/Ike as my secondaries. I love Wolf too, but his recovery kills me. :psycho:

~PsykoTek~

Smash Cadet
lol I secondary ZSS but im good I suppose w/ Falco, I "secondary" him for the fact that not only is he top tier, but is a good match-up against most of the other top tiers, which makes for more wins =D

AfroTastic

Smash Apprentice
Well heres goes for me, mines G&W why

He avoids falco's CG at low percentages unlike snake and also can't be CG by D3

G&W has a very excellent air game which snake lacks.

Fair- comes out resonably fast and is a good kill move.
Bair-Contested as one of the best moves in the game spam the hell out of it.
Uair-Good juggling move, catches people off guard and can lead to Usmash or Fsmash,second hit of this move kills at high percent.
Dair- Two hit move, good for killing at high percent, also good for DI'ing.
Nair- One of the best moves in G&W's arsonal great for juggling and can rack up damage exceptionaly fast and is a very spammable move.

Smash's whats the difference between his and snakes? one word SPEED.

Fsmash-comes out fast and can't be spot dodged due to the long duration that it stays out.
USmash-Excellent kill move because it has such a big hitbox around him.
Dsmash-FAST spammable, good kill move and has very weird properties depending on where on the hammers it hits.

Tilt's sure there not as good as snake's but they have priorty.

Neutral A-Fast and can lead into his CG on certain characters.
Ftilt-Decent move has good knockback on it, but it can be shield punished easily.
UTilt-Good juggling move that can either lead into the Nair or UpB combo.
Dilt-One word PRIORTY his Dtilt comes out fast and is good for edgeguarding because it has such a huge hitbox above the manhole.

B Moves

Neutral B- Can be used as an edgeguard or hit them with the frying pan for good damage and knockback.
SideB-Judgement hammer is G&W's russian roulette weapon its either good or its not.
DownB-Bucket can lead into one of his most powerfull attacks the oil spill when he absorbs certain projectiles like Pk fires,Fire balls, and lazers.
UpB-Excellent recovery move and can be used for combo's and a great stage spike move.

I hope this writeup helps some people. :) also ill edit this out when i get more info and stuff with him.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
There are some characters that are easy to learn, but take a special 'something' to get out of the middle class of the character. Sure, you could pick up Game and Watch in a few days, but you won't be a high level Game and Watch that will win a tournament. You'll have functional knowledge of the character that will hinge upon your natural talent at Smash brothers. I always laugh in my head when someone switches to Meta Knight after I've beaten their main, simply because Meta Knight has a massive valley between the two mountains of 'n00b' and 'Pro.'

Most people never make it up that mountain, and others call it just an anthill. It is nice to know of the character, and the basics, but sometimes taking a secondary requires going away from the 'ease' of use and more into the depth that the character represents. I suppose, it's best said that everyone knows how to play against the 'Day 3 Character' because fundamentally they all play exactly the same.

Beware of shallow secondaries; if you don't, you'll find yourself using your main even in your bad match ups.
Kirby is like that too, along with Bowser.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I always believed your secondary should be someone you enjoy playing (same as your main), and you should stick with that character even if they end up being a bad counter-pick to the other player, cause then you could master that character and end up with something incredible in your hands.

Then again, you do have to worry about your picks with characters like Meta Knight.

I kinda wish I could contribute, but I follow my first example, so I don't know too much about counter-picks. I believe you can beat anyone with any character if you do it right.

Well, if more discussions keep coming in, I may change my mind on the subject, so I want people to come in and discuss these topics.

NNID
Budget_Player
I like G&W. :) However, I'm not exactly sure which matchups he will fix for you. DDD is a given; he simply can't be CG'd. Then again, neither can falco. I have to say, G&W takes Zelda apart, seeing as you can bucket Din's Fire and your smashes easily outdo hers in powerlevel. But is Zelda someone to worry about? Where are you better off knowing G&W than Falco as a snake secondary?

(On a slightly related note, I cannot play with falco; I just can't figure out how the buggery ******* works, or how he's supposed to be good. At all.)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I always believed your secondary should be someone you enjoy playing (same as your main), and you should stick with that character even if they end up being a bad counter-pick to the other player, cause then you could master that character and end up with something incredible in your hands.

Then again, you do have to worry about your picks with characters like Meta Knight.
This. My other main is (obviously) Yoshi and he isn't that high on the tier list. He does good against Olimar but Yoshi as a character is a preference.
As for G&W, he is a great choice to consider as a secondary. He does well against so many characters, Including DDD, Olimar, Pikachu, ROB, Lucario, and Falco.
His down throw can lead to tech chases like Snake's.

Tero.

Smash Champion
G&W is obv one of Snakes best secondarys, he does good against all of Snakes bad MU, e.g. Falco, DDD, Pikachu and ROB. Also G&W is top tier lulz.

So yeah he is top tier is kinda easy to learn and does good against all of snakes bad mu, what do you want more?

SNNAAAKKKKEEEEE

Smash Rookie
Falco is good at stopping people's momentum offstage with his laser, while Snake is all about reading their DI.

Falco may have a ledgeguarding game as good, maybe even better, than Snake's , depending on how they're played.
Yeah it actually depends on it your good with recovering with Snake, because Falco may have the advantage with long distance edge gaurding (because of his laser), however, Snake is the best for a quick and easy KO if you know how to spike good and how to recover well with Snake. On the contrary, Falco is definitely better for edge guarding if you want it easy, because with Snake it will take practice to become good at spiking and recovering.

BRANman

Smash Cadet
I'll be back sometime soon, grounded for yelling at my mom. ( she yelled at my girlfriend... )
lol. your mom asked for it. so snakes a hard learning curve huh..... guess i picked a bad main to start brawl with...
*facepalm*

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
lol. your mom asked for it. so snakes a hard learning curve huh..... guess i picked a bad main to start brawl with...
*facepalm*
Why say that? Snake has great match-ups, also he is a great character in brawl, but it just takes time to learn him. He is great on a competitive level, look at Ally for example. lol

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll agree that Falco is good to second with Snake, but with the new chain grabs that Pikachu's are learning, Pika can easily counter both of them. He can take Snake from 23% to 90% and he can't do anything about it if he's over the edge. If he's on the stage, there's 1 frame where he can get out a grenade and stop it, but it falls off the stage on the edge.

Pika can also take Falco from 20% to 100% if they start their CGs with a fresh d-throw and you can't do ANYTHING to stop it.

I'd say this combination is good for everyone except Pikachu. :/

Edit: I'm kind of happy about these new CGs since it makes many matchups for Pika much better, and he's my second. The only one that bothers me is Snake's. But if I'm up against a Pikachu, I'd probably just go with Marth or something to counter him.

EditEdit:
New Snake cg!

Fthrow x 2 > pummel > Dthrow x 3 > pummel > Dthrow x 5 + regrab - 83%

Snake cannot nade or footstool out of this one. :)
Joy.

Top Bottom