• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Merry Steakmas!

infomon

Smash Scientist
Ho Ho Ho, and Merry Steakmas to all Sonic mains! In the spirit of giving, and since you've all been good steaklings, Santa's brought some trivial ATs/discoveries.... they're prolly already known by the likes of Tenki/MC, but nevermind that:

1. Sonic's dash-turnaround state has some weird properties. If you time it properly, this is the only way I know of where you can get Sonic to slide along the ground in a crouch! In particular, I think there's some time after the turnaround starts but before you're dashing in the opposite direction.... where you're sliding forward a little, but you can still do anything, as if you were in a walking state.

This means you can slide forward in an Utilt, or even a Dsmash (extending its range OMG!!) Unfortunately, the amount of slide is extremely minimal. practice the timing with a crouch (since it's easy to see if you get the slide or not), then try using other moves. I can get a vid if I'm not making sense...

2. Grinding is awesome! It seems like you're pretty helpless throughout, but this is superficial.

Naïve grind:
  • Attack or C-stick = dash attack (can't use jab, tilts, smashes)
  • Can only use side-B; other Specials don't work
  • Can't shield
  • Grab = dash-grab

However, smart Sonics overcome these limitations with moar tech-skill:
  • You can jump out of grind, which means you can use a jump-cancelled up-B or up-smash
  • Dash attack means you can also DACUS, so you have two up-smash options
  • I think jump-cancelling lets you homing attack as well... or if not, then just jumping works (a few frames difference, max.).... not that you'll ever do this
  • You can't shield or spotdodge during a grind, but you can dodge-roll
  • Furthermore, side-B gives you a shield, spot-dodge, and standing-grab
  • You can pivot-grab during grind... this looks weird; try it during a long/fast grind, Sonic's hand kinda moves around funny... and it's a sliding grab that's much more defensive than his clunky dash-grab

But much more importantly:
  • Tap forward during grind to start another initial dash. And from an initial dash, you can do anything! You're free to use jabs, tilts, smashes, and Specials. So you can Fsmash out of grind -- stutter-stepped, in fact. This also gives you a down-B out of grind, although it's tricky to do quickly.
  • Furthermore, use dash-dance input during the grind, to do any of these aimed behind you (obviously).

Srsly grind is awesome...... spend hours practicing the tech-skill of how to use it properly, it definitely gives moar options!! Combined with dash-turnaround mixups (like what Malcolm owns with), Sonic has crazy ground-versatility.... although increased risk of tripping.

I'm trying to increase my dextrosity so that, for example, I have spacing control akin to a Marth. One thing I've been doing a bunch: at low %s, Fthrow > grind forward.... you can quickly get into place to catch them again. You can control the spacing of the grind, to really follow beneath them, or stay out of range of whatever aerials they have. you can side-B shieldgrab if they attack, but another thing I do is dash-attack out of the grind as a fast getaway. Or instead of trying to grab them after the Fthrow, jump-cancel a spring from below them, if you want to mix it up.

Why is that better than just dashing forward? Well, I find with the dash I'd either go too far, or be simply vulnerable as I'm whizzing forward. I get better spacing with a grind. The grind also gives a false sense of safety to the opponent..... at least until they adjust to all its tricks.

Try the Fthrow-chasing on an Ike for lolz. You basically force them to use their second jump to get away.... but then they've used their 2nd jump, and you're below them (as close as you want to be), which is fairly happy. :)

3. A minor glitch, I wonder who can solve the mystery? Spring > Dair beside it. Then VSDJ into an immediate aerial or airdodge, and try to land on the spring. For some reason, I go right through it! Without the VSDJ, I have no problem landing on the spring. But a VSDJ can land on the spring on its own. I don't know of any other circumstance where you pass right through the bloody thing. Anyone have any ideas?

Merry Steakmas to all, and to all a good fight!

:093:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Nice finds infzy! I've been working on my dash control and spacing, so I definitely wanna try some of this out.

Also, weird stuff with the VSDJ!

Merry Steakmas to all!

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
wewt, thanks santa, I'll go practice this. RATED 5! See, we are a good board o.O

BTW, if you do a foxtrot (quickly dash once), and walk after it, you do a slide at walking speed on foxtrot animation. I'll see what can be done out of it.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Cool finds. I never found much use for grinding, but I might try using it moar.

Merry Christmas everybody.

*Is waiting for Izzy's present*

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I knew Grinding was useful, great work Infzy! :D

Merry Steakmas everyone!

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
No.

Vertical Spin Dash Jump :)

It's the jump out of the spindash before it finishes charging and you just rise into the air. It's got a hitbox.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Gah, I have no presents. I'll just have to bask in the one's you guys have given me :D

I always hated grinding, but I'll give it another chance. It's Steakmas.

Oh, you guys can have my love. Yup. Hopefully I'll pull out a tourney placing for you guys this weekend, that can be my present.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
If you really wanted to impress us you should have brought KASR back from the dead. Like the resurrection of Jesus or something. Yeah...

D

Deleted member

Ho Ho Ho, and Merry Steakmas to all Sonic mains!

Merry Steakmas to all, and to all a good fight!

You guys are really, really gay. Like, moist balls rubbing together gay.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You guys are really, really gay. Like, moist balls rubbing together gay.
...mindgames?

Umbreon secretly things we're cool and knows we are impressive players who use a character with high potential. It's all good.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Steakmas Present

I brought something we might enjoy

also like to announce Ive taken Sonic as my new Alternate :D
gotta love the steak tier :)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Huh. We got a Yoshi playing Sonic now? That's awesome.

If you don't mind me asking is there anything that Sonic does to Yoshi that really messes with you? Yoshi's of the hopping around variety seem to really hurt me.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Sonic is the only char that I know that can chase yoshi while airborne

:)

EDIT:
so he's hard to space against, he can just run under the Eggs seeing as they arc, and your dtilt goes under our Ftilt :(

infomon

Smash Scientist
I lol'd at Joe's pic

Does anyone have any vids with good use of Sonic's grind ability? I'm gonna practice some crazy stuff tmrw..... it would be cool to get a feel for how it can be incorporated well into real matches.

One problem I have is that as I state in the OP, dashing forward out of grind cancels starts an initial-dash form which we can use smashes, tilts, etc.... that's really what can make the grind really versatile and useful, but it's tech-skill difficult, and also it brings you a little extra forward. But I keep trying to grind forward while I'm facing the enemy, and usually I end up too close so that using the initial-dash puts me within range of the opponent's attacks. :dizzy:

Learning how to space grinds is going to be tricky, I think it will require a lot of dash-dancing, and grinding away from the opponent; so that you can initial-dash "backwards" (away-from-opponent) into an immediate Fsmash or tilt to their face, when they try to catch you in the "vulnerable" grind-state.

idk tho.....

JOE!

Smash Hero
on the yoshi vs sonic matchup,

did some fooling around after you guys asked...and geeze, yoshi has an answer for almost everything sonic can throw out @.@

If Yoshi throws an egg when sonic's grounded tho...he's screwed by rolls :p

SonicX580

Smash Lord

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We thought so too.

:090:

Edit: Late Steakmas present!

For any of you that don't know, a dash attack on the ledge will outlast the duration of an opponent's spotdodge on the ledge.

Make use of this knowledge, my Steaklings.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Oooh ooh ooh my turn.

Y'know when opponents are directly above you on platforms like on Battlefield? Why does EVERYBODY uair? Nair, it has a better damage output, and in my opinion puts them in a better position to chase at low-mid percentages.

Lv. 1:074:495

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I usually just Fair if they're on the edge of the floating platforms on BF because the pushback will push them off the ledg e (obvious statement is obvious) and make them drop their shield.

How about that CiTH?

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Oooh ooh ooh my turn.

Y'know when opponents are directly above you on platforms like on Battlefield? Why does EVERYBODY uair? Nair, it has a better damage output, and in my opinion puts them in a better position to chase at low-mid percentages.

Lv. 1:074:495

up air is better at lower percentages,

I find nair to be perfect at higher percentages. usually sends them to about a spinshot's distance away. so it would go "nair> spinshot > [insert move]"

I usually just Fair if they're on the edge of the floating platforms on BF because the pushback will push them off the ledg e (obvious statement is obvious) and make them drop their shield.

How about that CiTH?

Nair is better, IMO.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
That's an idea. In that situation.

Fair => pushes them onto ground level with you => fair autocancels => jablock?

Lv. 1:074:494

Top Bottom