• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Input Delay, Wifi, and Saftey

SCOTU

Smash Hero
This guide will serve the purpose of covering all sorts of details on Input Delay in Brawl WiFi play.

What is Input Delay
Brawl will take input for a specific frame, and then wait X number of frames before it'll input them. This gives the network a window to receive the input for a frame before that frame comes.

For example: Say you're using an input delay = X

If I hit A on frame Y, this input will count as if I pressed it on frame Y+X, and it will send my input to the other wii I'm playing against, which will get the input and what frame it's for. This means there's a window of X frames for an input to get from one wii to another. It also has the effect of making it feel like your attacks are coming out X frames later than they should (because they are lol).

What is Safe?
Safe, in this context means that even if your opponent can recognize that you're attacking the first frame your attack is out, he cannot shield it on reaction.

Take a "beautiful" Wifi connection with 10 frames of input delay (average is somewhere around 15), and take a beautiful reaction time of 0.15 seconds (average for a gamer is 0.2), or 9 frames, and the time it takes a shield to come out (2 frames). If you add these together, you get a response time of 21 frames to get your shield up from seeing an attack (which we are assuming you see it on frame 1). If the attack hits in less than 21 frames, it can't be blocked on reaction.

There are multiple types of safety, but I'm not going to cover those yet.

Which Attacks are Safe

Fox
jab
ftilt
dtilt
utilt
dash attack
fsmash
dsmash
usmash
nair
fair
dair
bair
uair
laser x2 (oh man, they can't shield this on reaction)
shine
grab
dash grab
pivot grab

Ike
jab
dash attack
ftilt
utilt
dtilt
dsmash
nair
fair
bair
dair
grab
dash grab
Eruption (uncharged)
Quick Draw (uncharged)

Sheik
jab
ftilt
utilt
dtilt
dash attack
fsmash
usmash
dsmash
grab
running grab
Needle Storm
nair
fair
bair
uair
dair

More Coming Soon!
If anyone can point me towards the frame data for other characters, I'll add their data to the list, thanks

Browny

Smash Hater
sig for frame stuff \/

although it looks like every single attack is deemed safe so far lol... but thats what predicting is for :)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
not every attack is safe. Firefox isn't. Illusion isn't. Ike's fsmash/usmash aren't, sheiks' vanish isn't.

Top Bottom