• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Danger - Poisonous Snake

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I bet you opened this thinking it was a combo video, or a useless thread. Well it's not. If you mouse-overed before clicking and you can read this. FU. You ruined the suprise!

How to Effectively Punish Every Move as Snake

Ya. That's what we'll be discussing. We'll skip Meta Knight because I don't feel punishing him is hard for Snake. It's basically grenade drop that, grenade drop that, ftilt that, utilt all aerial approaches, and more grenade countering.

Any ideas on who we should start with?

Example of "The Punish Sheet"

Startup Lag - (All the frames before hitbox comes out, eg: Snake's jab has 2 frames, Ftilt is 3)

End Lag - (Hitbox is gone)

Predictablity - Is it used often? Is it a noticeable startup? Used at certain times? (eg: Snake's Ftilt, noticeable startup (he leans back), used for spacing)

Our best Punish for Startup: Can we punish the move before it starts up? Is our best option Jab, Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt, or grenade counter? (Yes, those are the only options. We are assuming we are GROUNDED)

Our Best Punish for Ending: Should we forget about punishing the startup lag, and instead focus on getting a stronger hit in the end lag? (eg: Fsmash a powershielded Ike Fsmash, rather then ftilt before it) Bad example is bad, but you should get the idea. Our utilt is a 7 frame move, it won't be able to punish everything before startup, but it can in end lag.

If it's neither of the above two rate it: UNPUNISHABLE (eg; a perfectly spaced Lucario Fsmash is basically unpunishable. Sorry)

ps:

We are assuming the opponent is using PERFECT spacing. That means hitting with the tips of moves (unless it has a sweetspot like DeDeDe's fsmash), so they want the ideal spacing. Tipped Marth moves for example. Because if we can punish them with perfect spacing, we can punish them with improper spacing.

:mewtwo:

~PsykoTek~

Smash Cadet
lol Snake IS punishment anyways, this thread really just tells you how to utilize it xD

So like are we talking about ANY of his moves, cuz ALL of his smashes are niticable and easily punished except his up smash, & his down tilt of course has lag for the fact that he has to get on the floor 1st.

SuSa

No, Snake is about placing people into a bad position. DK is about punishment.

Read my entire OP. We're just talking about our fastest moves. (Grenades, Jab, Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt)

Because some moves (Mario's Fsmash angled up, and MAYBE even just straight) we can dodge with our crouch, then hit with dtilt.

This is basically to end all threads going "HOW DO I GETZ PAST A xxxx WHO SPAMS USMASH!!!" not that we get many of those.

But we do get some.

1 :mewtwo: 404

Staco

Smash Champion
I think you should start with an jab out of a walk.
Example Marth tipper fairs your shield, you walk a little bit in his direction, during his ending lag and then do the frist hit of snakes jab (or ftilt, if he is too far away).

And you can do boostsmash after the fair hitting your shield, if you react fast enough. ^^
If marth does a full jump fair you have to punish him while landing.

I think Snake is more about attacking the end lag of your opponent.

SuSa

The Marth is supposed to have perfect spacing, I didn't say we had to stay still.

I just stated we'd only use those moves.

Because countering with fsmash isn't smart.

Also add C4 into that, theres some moves that are a very easy sticky if you powershield them.

1 :mewtwo: 399

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Dededes Ftilt is probably one of the most ******** moves, if fully spaced.

I don't quite get the reason for this thread though (even if it's kinda useful)...Snake can mess up the opponents spacing with nades + mines so well...you won't faced "perfectly space moves" as often as other characters.

SuSa

Dededes Ftilt is probably one of the most ******** moves, if fully spaced.

I don't quite get the reason for this thread though (even if it's kinda useful)...Snake can mess up the opponents spacing with nades + mines so well...you won't faced "perfectly space moves" as often as other characters.
Because if you can punish it when it's PERFECTLY SPACED, you can punish it when they AREN'T perfectly spaced.

1 :mewtwo: 396

~PsykoTek~

Smash Cadet
No, Snake is about placing people into a bad position. DK is about punishment.

Read my entire OP. We're just talking about our fastest moves. (Grenades, Jab, Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt)

Because some moves (Mario's Fsmash angled up, and MAYBE even just straight) we can dodge with our crouch, then hit with dtilt.

This is basically to end all threads going "HOW DO I GETZ PAST A xxxx WHO SPAMS USMASH!!!" not that we get many of those.

But we do get some.

1 :mewtwo: 404
lol ok, well just gonna toss it out there even thought it common sense, Snake nade's punish anyone's approach, whether the sheild dash perfectly or no the stage is only yea big and the blast radius of the nade is very large if you ever take the time to look

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I don't see why people are nay-saying this, I think it's a great idea. I vote we start with DDD, since I think almost everyone would agree he's our hardest (or one the them) fights.

Some problematic moves DDD has:

Dair camping
Ftilt
Grabs
Wall of Bairs

SuSa

lol ok, well just gonna toss it out there even thought it common sense, Snake nade's punish anyone's approach, whether the sheild dash perfectly or no the stage is only yea big and the blast radius of the nade is very large if you ever take the time to look
No, if they space perfectly they can avoid blowing up the grenade.

I know the blast radius of the grenade, all of Snake's moves are disjointed and broken hitboxes.

Fsmash hits behind him.
All projectiles are immediatly disjointed
Utilt and Ftilt are just broken
Dtilt has like ______________ < that much room in front of his foot....

Staco

Smash Champion
I dont have any problems with the ftilt, just shield it, walk a bit, ftilt in their face.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
if marth uses counter too early, you can f-smash right away and it should always hit (have a vid, cant upload by myself)
ps. not sure if ike's counter has the same timing.

SuSa

King DeDeDe it is.

How to punish:

Fsmash
Dsmash (Front, and back hits)
Usmash (front and back hits....)
ftilt
dtilt
utilt (**** this move >: )
dair
nair < silly Snake's, that move doesn't exist for D3.
bair
uair
fair
side-B (waddle toss)
B (lol 'nades)
down-B
Up-B

Wow...... this might take a while.

Just pick a move, discuss it, and see if you can punish it if the D3 perfectly spaces himself. I guess?

I'll work on some of this later, playing LoZ:TP at the moment.

1 :mewtwo: 370 Created using PokeScript - by Havokk

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I guess we can just start from the top.

Fsmash is EASILY punished when on stage. There's an ***load of startup and cooldown lag, so just shield it and grab him or Ftilt him. Watch out for this move after he Dthrows you. If he Dthrows and you try to roll behind him and he just Fsmashes, you'll eat it.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Just pick a move like any move? Or follow the fsmash thing?

I'll say UpB. If he aims for the ledge get ready to Nair/Dair/Fair/Bair. Also Fsmash can punish aiming for the ledge. If he's landing on the stage block it all and Dair his face. There's also nikita fun and grenade tossing at his recovery. It's a discussion about punishment, but you can also limit where on the stage he'll want to land with your mines and nades and such, so you can set up any of these punishments relatively easy as long as you can force him to need his up B. Watch out when he's coming down if you're off stage though, this shouldn't really happen at all but his Up B spikes coming down. There are also super armor frames going up.

SuSa

Just pick any move, once I feel there is enough data I'll start fixing bits.

If you feel to correct somebody over something, do so, it allows me to decide which person is correct then quote them.

Top Bottom