• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To All Aspiring Combo Video Makers

5ive

Smash Champion
For a sample of my editing, please watch my Brawl+ combo video, [inb4rape].
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZBImJv8HbQ&fmt=22

Credit to It's Oxfire Eh? from Halo3Forums*
Here's a write up to all aspiring Combo Video Makers.

I know this doesn't belong here, but hopefully, it will get stickied.

Introduction

For all who want to make a SSBB Combo Video, please take the time to read this. If you want your video to stick out, you do not need effects piled on every clip, you do not need your typical rock or techno music that goes along, and you certainly don't need to have a name to release a good video.

All you need is hard work.

Don't make a video just for the sake of making one. Just because you have a camera doesn't mean instant gratification. Sure you can make a video with a camera and Windows Movie Maker, but you should strive for more. Wait until you have a capture card and a good editing program. The extra time gathering your equipment and making your project perfect is worth it. Trust me.

If you can't get a hold of one, try asking people to capture and edit for you. There are A LOT of nice people here.

Capturing

A must need for a well received video is a capture card. Basically, a capture card allows you to directly record your clips to your computer. You will basically receive clips that look straight from the game.

How Does it Work?

It basically works by connecting your Wii to the capture card, and connecting your capture card to your computer (USB). You then have to start up the recording program that came with the device. You will basically play your Wii on your Computer! There is a bit of screen lag, so I do not recommend playing SSBB on it. Try to keep it only for recording replays.

If you need more In Depth help, here is an excellent tutorial:

The Complete Gamebridge Guide (Part 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9JS_tl9qUw&fmt=18
The Complete Gamebridge Guide (Part 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpklgD7hXNo&feature=related&fmt=18
So You Wanna Capture?: http://www.halo3forum.com/montage-video-help/148142-so-you-wanna-capture.html

What Capture Card Should I Get?

There are two types of capture cards, internal and external. Internal capture cards are chips in which you need to install into your PC. Obviously, external capture cards are devices which you connect via usb. I recommend external capture cards, because they do the job, for a cheaper price. Internal capture cards however, can record in HD. You won't be needing that for Brawl though.

For specifics, I recommend the Adaptec Gamebridge (My Current Capture Card). It is very easy to follow, and comes with an excellent program called Intervideo Home Theater, allowing me to easily record my clips.

Here is a picture of a Gamebridge and its components:
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/66735/gamebridge_qjpreviewth.jpg

Here is the quality you can get with a Gamebridge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcc74aBXNHs&feature=channel_page&fmt=22

Another worthy buy is a "Dazzle". I am not very experienced with this product, but I have heard good reviews from it.

Here is a Dazzle Capture Card Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrnPLq0k-As

Editing Tools

Firstly, you need to enrich on your editing experiences. Sure, you can edit with Windows Movie Maker (WMM), but it isn't really a reliable program. You can do basic clipping, transitions, and even syncing, but that is about it. It does come with effects, but these are all very cliche, and usually makes the turn out look pretty cliche as well. Even syncing is VERY hard to do, because WMM's preview option gets out of time at points.

The solution: find a better editing program. There are a lot of editing programs out there, but there are two that stick out:

Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro

• Sony Vegas is a great program where you can easily make a professional looking video. Even though it is WAY better than WMM, it does have some limitations (in terms of the amount of different effects). This is my current editing software.

• Adobe Premiere Pro is much more complicated, but you are able to control and make effects to the smallest detail. It also has more of an extensive choice in terms of effects.

Secondly, try to stay away from WMM titles/intros. They usually make for a bad first impression.

Try Adobe After Effects! AE is a good program for making Professional intros. Though it is considered an editing program, try to keep it only within your titles. Doing your whole video in AE can make things very complicated.

Here are some examples on what you can do with Adobe After Effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXfoRol_wak&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqD0c70ZsFo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiOvz2zmTbk&feature=related

A great website for learning Adobe After Effects basics, effects, and advanced effects is:
http://www.videocopilot.net/

Editing Tips

Even though you have programs which allow you to do crazy things to your clips, the editing does not need to be over the top. We want good, synced editing that doesn't hurt our eyes. When you over edit, you will produce work where you can't get your point across, just because the viewer will have no idea on what's going on. On the other hand, when you make a poorly edited video, the same thing will happen. Being sloppy and even uneducated on your editing is the worst mistake you can do.

On the other hand, syncing to every possible downbeat is not the best thing to do. Sync to something that stands out; whether it's where the song goes from quiet, to loud (vice versa), or when the drummer hits a crash cymbal. It's not limited to that; all I'm telling you is to use your judgement.

This is the same thing with transitions. Don't put a transition between your clips just for the sake of adding it. I've seen too many videos with random "page flips" or "wipe" transitions. If the transition doesn't flow into the video, don't use it. Most of the a time, a simple fade will do the job. I'm not telling you to cut transitions out all together, but be careful on what you use.

More Tips on Over Editing:

*Credit to K1NDRED from Halo 3 Forums*

When something is over edited, it means that the effect(s) distract(s) the viewer from the content or it covers up the content. Over editing is a very vast topic; suffice to say that if it distracts, it’s bad.

• - Stay away from Light Rays and TV Simulators. These effects are not only over used but so easy to use that any "weird" sound in the music will have many running for them. When a special sound occurs, use it as an opportunity to create an original effect.

• - Recycled effects are a very bad idea unless it fits perfectly.

• - The pattern for making a successful clip is to listen, think of an effect and find what scene would look good with that effect.

• - Effects need to be one with the video and audio, not slapped on top.

• - Internet tutorials are for you to use as practice to learn the editing program. Don't use a tutorial exactly the way it is in your video because it shows you have no originality. If it is perfect and you have to use it, then alter it. Switch some things and this will in turn create something original.

The Art of Syncing (Advanced Editors)

*Credit to adamllis from own-age.com forums*

Syncing, the interaction or relationship between the onscreen action and the musical track, is one of the most common non-video-based effect used in videos. Sycning that is done well somehow draws the viewer into the movie like nothing else. It is one of the more difficult techniques, but proper syncing can add power to any movie. I am a huge fan of good syncing, and I have tried to discover where its power comes from.
From my observations, I (adamllis) have classified the different types of syncing that appear in gaming movies (and other videos) into four different groups, which I call micro, mini, macro, and mood.

Micro:
This is the most obvious syncing technique to the viewer. Micro syncing would be the use of many very short scenes or clips, each lined up with one beat in the song per clip. So for every beat in a fast part of a song, the editor would have a unique scene or picture displayed from the time the beat begins until right before the next beat sounds. Usually this technique is used to show small pieces of what's to come, since the clips are so short they don't add much to the videos. Often micro syncing leaves the viewer slightly overwhelmed by the flood of visual images and begins to draw the viewer into the vid.

Mini
This is what most people think about when they hear the word “syncing.” Mini syncing would be syncing an event or multiple events to music in a single scene. In micro syncing, the scene is not shown to its entirety, but in mini syncing the scene is shown completely. When only one event is synced, it’s cool but it’s not that cool. When two or more events are synced, that’s when the magic happens.
Mini syncing leaves the viewer pondering: “how did they make it fit with the music like that? did it really happen perfectly like that?” Often, in order to have the maximum syncing potential, the editor slightly adjusts the speed of the content differently throughout the scene. If it goes too fast or too slow, the flow of the vid can suffer. Mini syncing is what people remember; they can feel it coming when they watch the vid again.

Macro:
This technique is the most subtle of all the syncing techniques, and in some vids, it’s almost subconscious. What I mean is that macro syncing affects the viewer even without his/her knowledge. Macro syncing requires a dynamic song, one that has long ups and downs in its pace and sound, like a wave. Drum and Base does not usually have this type of flow. Also this syncing is best with a game that has quick movement. (ie. Brawl) Macro syncing is the interaction between the speed of the music and the speed of the visual image. This syncing takes place inside scenes in two different ways (at least that I have identified).
The first way is the physical movement of the player. When the player suddenly moves quickly through the level (or whatever) and the music suddenly changes pace, then that is macro syncing.
The other kind replaces the movement of the player with the movement of the visual image via mouse sensitivity. A player with a higher sensitivity looks around a lot more than a player with a lower sensitivity. This quick viewing creates a sense of speed that can easily increase the flow of the vid, and if it’s synced to music it is especially intense.

Mood:
This type of syncing is similar to macro. It also is not very obvious on the first watch. Mood syncing would be when a scene has some degree of urgency or suspense, and the music also has a thrilling sound to it only at that part of the scene. The event is not one frag and is not expressed through one beat. Doing this with individual scenes is not very difficult, but doing macro syncing inside of a long scene is very impressive and powerful.

Music Selection

My last point is the music. People, you do not need rock or techno music to make a good video. Mix it up! Don't be afraid! Use some pop here and there. I'm not saying don't use your favorite rock band or what-not, but music really makes your video stand out from the rest! Try something that appeals to all audiences.

I know this is an opinion, but I advise you to not use any Screamo, Metal, or Death Metal of anysort. The reason why? It's not very appealing to viewers. Sure, you may like it, but it all depends on who you want to please. If you want to please yourself, go ahead, but if you want a good reception, try something else. Another reason is because of the editing potential. Using these songs can lead to over editing. It's just the sheer energy in them that makes people do that. If you want chill editing which doesn't hurts your eyes (and which people like), try to not use these songs. It's all up to you.

Also, try staying away from Overused songs. This takes away from the creative value of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmUde_EK5Y
This is a really good example for a unique song choice. You can do a lot of "chill" editing with this.

For example, a Halo Montage was done with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqNvkDIGgHA&feature=related&fmt=22

Notice how it is not over edited, and has calm, "chill" editing. Syncing and minor editing is all you need.

Conclusion

Let's face it, this goes for everything in life. Some people have talent, some people don't. The people who have talent need to train for their true skill to actually come out in what they do. The people who don't have talent, can work and work but still something will be missing! The same thing goes for making a video, you can't develop your talent if you don't work at it and practice!

This is my plea, to all of you looking to make a video. This is my attempt to revive this section and have some fun and original videos come from you guys! Please, BE CREATIVE! That's all it takes! Thank you if you actually read all that.

Video Examples

• This is an example of my editing. It is probably one of the better examples on here (even if I do say so myself). Lots of subtle editing, slowdown effects, and hyping effects.

[inb4rape] a Brawl+ Combo Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZBImJv8HbQ&fmt=22

• This is a good video with nice effects. Try playing around in your editing program to recreate some of them. It's not Brawl, but the music is what we call "chill", and the edits are nice and calm.

Glimpse - A Phurion H3 Minitage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYwTIVuH1Og

• This is a Windows Movie Maker edited video, with webcam quality. Has good gameplay, and would be top notch with some good editing and a capture card. Still a good video.

Mariotality 2 - lkp4's Mario Combo Vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bd1MUDXfE

• This is another example of an over edited video. It's a Halo 2 montage, and back when Halo 2 was popular, over editing was the way to go. Things have changed, and "chill" editing has taken over the Halo scene. This video isn't by any means bad, but try to stay away from over editing.

ViviSect :: First H2 Montage :: by QsK King
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uAQ1RyumSs

Osi

Smash Ace
I make vids in WMM hehe... at least until 3 weeks from now. You are right that it sucks, the editing capable on it is horrid, but I've also seen just as bad come from premiere made projects. Was a good read, but a little overly negative/abrasive at times.

One of mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IfsKqWtDjw&feature=related

Sadly WMM is just too limited. The worst part is its cut mechanic. No matter how far in you zoom, or even do it frame by frame to clip the footage will not match the preview window. It makes precise editing pretty hopeless on there lol. I do try to at least somewhat match my music. Are there any good free programs people could use in place of WMM?

Hype

Smash Lord
I use Pinnacle: Studio 10 Quickstart, it's not very good. You have to buy expansion packs to use the most basic features such as fast/slow motion.

Where can I get Sony vegas? Is it compatable with Windows Vista and my dazzle capture card?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I used pinnacle studio 12, the full version, which came free with my studio movie box capture device. Fast/slow, etc all worked fine. >_>

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Nice thread. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is you goal with the video though and the emotion direction your going for. If your going for a artistic direction then it's not gonna be a realistic display of comboes. If you going for a more realistic simple display then it's not gonna be very artistic and thus should be edited apropriatly.

Mind you artistic also means going outside of that box and abandoning the standard effects we see everyday.

Either are fine but the audience you get differs.

smashplaya

Smash Cadet
I use Pinnacle: Studio 10 Quickstart, it's not very good. You have to buy expansion packs to use the most basic features such as fast/slow motion.

Where can I get Sony vegas? Is it compatable with Windows Vista and my dazzle capture card?
Yes, Sony Vegas is compatible with Vista and capture cards.

It usually costs around 700 bucks, but you can get the full version for free. Just search how to get it on youtube.

Hentekorino

Smash Journeyman
-coughpiratesareinbaycough-
And yep, I use it to edit my matches (I run Vista,) the VOB formats of the captiure card clips work with Vegas too.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I agree with this thread.

Think back to master wumpus and DBR. There was nothing overly flashy. Just really great quality footage and simple editing.

I think I might've used too many effects in my combo video, and it's definitely something I'll work on in the future.

5ive

Smash Champion
I agree with this thread.

Think back to master wumpus and DBR. There was nothing overly flashy. Just really great quality footage and simple editing.

I think I might've used too many effects in my combo video, and it's definitely something I'll work on in the future.
Watched your combo vid. Nice Diddy :) I liked the music.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
i already tried in to go away from what you see all the time in my cv ^^

very good thread

Ijosh

Smash Apprentice
this should be helpful especially for begginers.
if i had read this b4 i made my combo vid i probably wudnt have overedited.
nice thread

Brndn

Smash Apprentice
word ijosh. This will definitely be something i'll consider in my next vid. Gj 5ive

5ive

Smash Champion
this should be helpful especially for begginers.
if i had read this b4 i made my combo vid i probably wudnt have overedited.
nice thread
Yours wasn't over edited at all. It had some amateurish editing though. Once I saw the Movie Maker Title, I cringed. Just one of my pet peeves.

Lionman

Smash Champion
I use Sony Vegas for editing, with effort you can do amazing things with this editor.

Dvd recorder is a good choise if you havent a capture card.

Brawl vids dont need great editing like WoW vids, the most important thing in those vid is select the good clips in the right and use good music for your character "for example Captain Falcon fits good with Rock, Hip Hop and Metal, Ike & Marth with orchestal music, power metal etc..."

Example for Captain Falcon music
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kS9EKpVy-lg "look at Knee of North Star from Rebaz Talei"
Example of Ike music
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OrorzcG68BI

Imagination is really helpful

Hype

Smash Lord
lol halo

10badgames
Best-selling video games of 2007 in the US

1 Halo 3 X360 4.82 million
2 Wii Play Wii 4.12 million
3 Call of Duty 4 X360 3.04 million
4 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock w/guitar PS2 2.72 million
5 Super Mario Galaxy Wii 2.52 million
6 Pokémon Diamond NDS 2.48 million
7 Madden NFL 08 PS2 1.90 million
8 Guitar Hero II with guitar PS2 1.89 million
9 Assassin's Creed X360 1.87 million
10 Mario Party 8 Wii 1.82 million

napZzz

Smash Hero
You should also add no more captain falcon videos.

waaay too many of those now adays.

5ive

Smash Champion
This is to inspire combo video makers to do better than what they're doing now, not to stop them.

D

Deleted member

Best-selling video games of 2007 in the US

1 Halo 3 X360 4.82 million
2 Wii Play Wii 4.12 million
3 Call of Duty 4 X360 3.04 million
4 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock w/guitar PS2 2.72 million
5 Super Mario Galaxy Wii 2.52 million
6 Pokémon Diamond NDS 2.48 million
7 Madden NFL 08 PS2 1.90 million
8 Guitar Hero II with guitar PS2 1.89 million
9 Assassin's Creed X360 1.87 million
10 Mario Party 8 Wii 1.82 million
halo is for scrubs, just because an assload of #baddie fan boys bought a terrible game doesnt mean ****

play a real game

5ive

Smash Champion
Why the hell are you trolling on Smashboards?
Halo AND Brawl are both GREAT games. Why are you trying to act childish and trying to start an argument that has nothing to do with the thread you posted in.

Hype

Smash Lord
@arkive: I'm not going to respond to you because I don't want to high jack this thread into a Halo vs Brawl debate.

Edit: 5ive got to you first

napZzz

Smash Hero
This is major blasfemy
from what people say, they keep making the capn falcon vids because they dont like his spot on the tier list.

so....showing people the same **** over and over again (hell it could even get staged) in a highlight of when a character is doing good is gonna change anything?

This is brawl, and its not fun to watch people get falcon punched and knee'd over and over etc.

Umby

Smash Master
from what people say, they keep making the capn falcon vids because they dont like his spot on the tier list.

so....showing people the same **** over and over again (hell it could even get staged) in a highlight of when a character is doing good is gonna change anything?

This is brawl, and its not fun to watch people get falcon punched and knee'd over and over etc.
It's not really that fun to watch a lot of things in Brawl, whether or not they're repeated. That's not even a bash at Brawl, I'm being dead ass serious.

Lionman

Smash Champion

Because those vid sucks, watch a good Falcon Combo vid Like knee of the north star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxFCsrWtKc

I hate IC vids too, there are only Chain Grabing clips :p

bigman40

Smash Master
Just stumbled onto this thread. I made my combo vid a little while ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzKRKqHwh8

I had dropped Studio 10 cause they wouldn't let me do any kind of editing without buying crap, so I was forced to use WMM. I'm getting Vegas, so I'll be dabbling a little into that. I think a few of my editing was novice-like (and restricted to a limited amount of editing options), but I'd say that it's not bad for my second try. What do you think?

5ive

Smash Champion
Saw the first 3 seconds with hope that it would be a pretty good start (in terms of editing).

Then I saw the dreaded Blue Title. It's a personal pet peeve of mine, but at the least, change the default title if your going to use Movie Maker.

The truth is, you can do some syncing with Windows Movie Maker, and that would make for a decent vid. If you guys don't want to spend money, or "illegally" acquire an editing program, practice syncing in WMM. It takes time to get a hold of, but it certainly is worth your time. NEVER use effects in Movie Maker. It makes the video very cliche.

Also, if your editing is nothing special, don't use "-insert your name- Presents". It makes the video very...let's say, "wannabe-ish".

And people, please don't make these corny intros. AGAIN, if you must use Windows Movie Maker, try making the title simple. Also, you can request ONLY an intro from some people who have After Effects. A simple 10-20 second intro on After Effects can take 30 minutes to an hour, but there are nice people here who will do it for you.

Let's not make this into a critique thread. No more posts on critiquing please.

Top Bottom