• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

i read about jab cancelling in the luigi boards.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
and i'd like to know, is it possible for DK to do similar stuff with his jab?

possibly jab>dsmash?

jab>dtilt?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
A lot of characters get good use out of this tech, but DK isn't really that good for it. I'm not sure if his really cancels well into anything or not, but his jab has short range(comparatively) anyway, and I have tried Dtilt out of it before, and while it hits sometimes, I don't believe it is guaranteed. The best DK can usually do out of his jab is setting up for Dsmash at high percents, which admittedly, is totally awesome.

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
jab --> grab ---> down grab ----> pivot grab (this is ranjiz's friend)

The Pope

Smash Apprentice
At high percents, a jab to a down smash can lead to kills. I believe you have to hit at the end of the jab's range for the jab to pull the opponent in.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes get grabs out of it. I don't think it's actually a reliable combo, though. I think it's just that people are never ready for it.

magikguy

Smash Lord
I still only jab cancel to grab when i need to get people off stage with the cargo . Other then that i rather stay with the guaranteed damage.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Anyone ever pull off a jab > fsmash by any chance?

That would be awesome to see, if possible. (which is doubtful, obviously)

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
LOL I pull stuff off like that all the time, just by luck.

Some ideas untested.
Jab > UpB
Jab > Grab
Jab >Ftilt/Dtilt

Niiro

Smash Ace
I do Jab->D-Tilt->F-tilt->Down/Up B but this only sometimes works >.<

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
jab grab works

jab dsmash works if you hit with the end of the jab

jab utilt works if you hit with the end of dk's fist on the jab, cause it pulls them in, only works at higher %

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
a couple of times i have done, jab->u tilt-> u tilt-> b air x3. i dont know if its a sure thing, it might not be but i have pulled it off seldomely. it might be depending on who you fight. this was started at mid percents.

Luigi player

Smash Master
So how do you jab cancel anyway? Jab > press down or what? I never notice any difference from it... or does everyone just mean that you jab and do something else instead of the second jab?

DKs jab is really not so good... maybe I can use it more if you can actually do something with it. Most of the time my opponents just powershield the second jab and punish me...

Delvro

Smash Ace
Jab cancels are amazing against an opponent who doesn't expect them. I jab cancel out of habit from playing Luigi, but jab-grabs and jab-dtilts work pretty well.

Also, you can jab and then walk away for ultimate mindgames.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
and i'd like to know, is it possible for DK to do similar stuff with his jab?

possibly jab>dsmash?

jab>dtilt?
I main Donkey Kong AND Peach.

Yesh, I magically main two characters. :)

Texas ftw, buddeh.

AND

I'm totaly gonna start DK jab canceling. I was told by jerks that it was useless with DK.
:|

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol, diggin out da old threads man.

DK can tipper jab->dsmash at about 100 % on some chars. Not sure if it's a true combo though...
You can also do tipper jab to reverse sweetspotted utilt at ~110 % on MK and it can KO him (not sure about exact numbers).

I use jab really often now. It's a quick attack, and I <3 the 2nd jab, it hits so high up, it's a nice antiair move, lol (yeah I know utilt is good too, but jab is just more in front of you... and it keeps utilt fresher).

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
lol, diggin out da old threads man.

DK can tipper jab->dsmash at about 100 % on some chars. Not sure if it's a true combo though...
You can also do tipper jab to reverse sweetspotted utilt at ~110 % on MK and it can KO him (not sure about exact numbers).

I use jab really often now. It's a quick attack, and I <3 the 2nd jab, it hits so high up, it's a nice antiair move, lol (yeah I know utilt is good too, but jab is just more in front of you... and it keeps utilt fresher).
YES! I was always told it was bad! I always argued.

Mah friends gotta watch out for random KOs at 100% now. :)

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
You jab once and do something else besides your second jab. It's a misleading name, you're not actually canelling anything, you're waiting to use a different attack.

Jab to anything works if you mindgame it.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I was also told to never do it, and was convinced I shoudn't when I couldn't get jab dtilt often.
I'll give this another chance.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
tipper jab>dsmash IS a true combo. Use it. Iono why i dont see DK mains using it as much, u should be spacing with everything anyways.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
You jab once and do something else besides your second jab. It's a misleading name, you're not actually canelling anything, you're waiting to use a different attack.

Jab to anything works if you mindgame it.
Yeah, I see that now by reading everyone's posts (And trying to jab cancel DK's jab... which is impossible..).

But yeah, it works SOOO nice. Especially because my hardest matchups are light characters.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Jab canceling is when you do jab->tap down->follow up
it is easiest to notice imo with Ike, as i am sure you guys have seen
DK's jab cancel does not really work, sure you can mix it up after the first jab but that is not jab cancelling that is just not pushing the a button in the window frame to perform jab is all.

The tiper jab though has some guaranteed follow ups at higher percents like pivot grab, down smash, etc.

YooY

Smash Cadet
Dk's double jab isn't good cause the opponent can always shield second hit if not tipper.
I don't know for sure but i think tipper jab> dsmash can be dodge by the opponent.
Anyway i prefer jab tipper>grab whichh works pretty well and i love dk's throws.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
dk's jab isn't a great 'jab', but its the best he's got in many situations. his sidestep sucks, so alot of the times when u get in, its just what u gotta do. but he has some nice mixups.
jab, jab, upair/bait upair to punish
jab-grab

*jab-d.tilt, probably my favorite. it the safest because DK can retreat roll right after the d.tilt or walk f.tilt pressure if its spaced for. both of which are good because they're safe and DK usually get wrecked when he gets grabbed.
obviously the 2nd jab should only be used when u sure it'll combo (mid+%), or mindgame delayed, lol

jab, d.smash is 'escapable' most of the time, but so is everything in brawl. jab-d.smash works well enough to be used, since its so fast they shouldn't react for the dodge.

Top Bottom