• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting Use For Z-Cancel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Most players are aware that cancelling your aerials can be done with L, R, or Z. It usually just comes down to personal preference.

But there appears to be a unique use for Z. When you perform aerials on platforms, sometimes unintentional or intentional (if your phanna) ledge cancels occur. Ledge cancels are when you just slip off the end of a platform with momentum and your aerial is automatically cancelled. Well when you use Z instead of L or R on platforms, in the case of a ledge cancel, instead of cancelling the move you will do another immediate aerial (exceptions are Samus and Link who launch grapples). This second aerial comes out INSTANTLY.

Hypothesis: This is very handy for quick characters like falco. He can do some really neat double hits with aerials if you do it really quick.

This might be old news but I think its worth bringing up. Try it out!

battousai555

Smash Ace
Most players are aware that cancelling your aerials can be done with L, R, or Z. It usually just comes down to personal preference.

But there appears to be a unique use for the Z-Cancel...
Z-canceling is in 64. No making up names for ATs, ploxes.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Well you wouldn't use L/R to ledge cancel normally right? Ledge canceling takes the place of L-canceling only better. I'm pretty sure of this but anyways . . .
I'm not sure this would make a huge improvement on Falco as his bair produces enough stun and cancels quickly enough to drop through platforms (thus creating the dropped bair he's known for) without getting shieldgrabbed or what have you. .

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Z for Platforms

Well you wouldn't use L/R to ledge cancel normally right? Ledge canceling takes the place of L-canceling only better. I'm pretty sure of this but anyways . . .
I'm not sure this would make a huge improvement on Falco as his bair produces enough stun and cancels quickly enough to drop through platforms (thus creating the dropped bair he's known for) without getting shieldgrabbed or what have you. .
Yes thats true if you intentionally ledge cancel I suppose you wouldn't even need to hit L or R, but I ledge cancel all the time unintentionally so in a general sense, its better for me to use z on platforms so I can get two hits in a matter of 15 frames or so, its really fast. And if I don't ledge cancel, my aerial gets canceled cause I hit z, so its a win win scenario. I don't see why anyone if they had no preference to L wouldn't use Z for platforms.

I believe this is most useful when hitting opponents in the air or when the opponent jumps off the floor, so your right that its better to do a drop down aerial if your opponent is on the floor.

I'm sure there are many characters with many reasons for using something like this. Just try it!

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Very interesting

Unfortunately, that's another tech I have to learn now. I wonder how this would benefit Doc...
Its not hard at all! Well if you can't L-Cancel in general it might be, but if you can, just use Z to cancel aerials on platforms and use whatever you want on the floor.

Also its helpful to give yourself alot of momentum (hold the direction all the way over). This just favors the ledge cancels.

DRD

Smash Lord
I suppose so; but I wonder why Z-canceling would cause another attack to come out? Is it because Z is an attack button like A?

I'm not the best at smash tech knowledge so yeah

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
i tried it and its very interesting actually
its not as useless as it sounds

on stages like yoshis story and battlefield its pretty ****, especially with fox dair to nair, bowser dair to nair, mario dair to nair/bair and more ways to use it

nice find, its pretty good, but you can do it without the Z-Cancel thing, its safer that way i guess though

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I suppose so; but I wonder why Z-canceling would cause another attack to come out? Is it because Z is an attack button like A?

I'm not the best at smash tech knowledge so yeah
Exactly right, Z pulls out another aerial if you ledge cancel, or if you miss it, it cancels the aerial on the platform. If you canceled with L or R and accidentally ledge cancelled you would do an instant air dodge which doesnt look cool at all!

i tried it and its very interesting actually
its not as useless as it sounds

on stages like yoshis story and battlefield its pretty ****, especially with fox dair to nair, bowser dair to nair, mario dair to nair/bair and more ways to use it

nice find, its pretty good, but you can do it without the Z-Cancel thing, its safer that way i guess though
Thanks for trying it!

Yes, thats the point, in GENERAL I think its just better to use Z because ledge cancels default to this aerial technique. So its a safe bet to just use Z. I have nothing new to say about the actual Z - Cancel itself.

Well, I meant making up names that already exist. Kudos on this discovery if no one already knew of it. Perhaps we can suggest names for this tech. Maybe "Z-ballin"? ^^
I'm not sure you could pin a name on this type of technique, its more of a quick play style than anything else. Maybe Platform Z's?

Thanks for the input!

Cero

Smash Lord
Hasn't Silent Spectre been doing this for a while now? I sometimes notice him doing Falcon d-airs to ledge-canceled up-airs.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I'd probably call it something like Zledgecanceling or ZLC (not to be confused with TLC) for short.

I wouldn't doubt that Silent Spectre uses this since its not really a new technique rather a much lesser known application of techniques. Good find though. Now you won't waste a tech or airdodge if you get hit first or miss the edge completely.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I'd probably call it something like Zledgecanceling or ZLC (not to be confused with TLC) for short.

I wouldn't doubt that Silent Spectre uses this since its not really a new technique rather a much lesser known application of techniques. Good find though. Now you won't waste a tech or airdodge if you get hit first or miss the edge completely.
Yes I like that alot. Good way to phrase it.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
When you edge-cancel you don't need to L-cancel the aerial. That's not how it works. Are you saying that if you hold Z and edge-cancel it does an aerial on the first available frame? If so that's pretty interesting...I'll go try this out.

I tried it out and this doesn't work. You're pressing Z late and just doing an aerial after the ledge-cancel.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
When you edge-cancel you don't need to L-cancel the aerial. That's not how it works. Are you saying that if you hold Z and edge-cancel it does an aerial on the first available frame? If so that's pretty interesting...I'll go try this out.

I tried it out and this doesn't work. You're pressing Z late and just doing an aerial after the ledge-cancel.
What he said. Your L-cancelling timing is just bad, causing you to aerial after landing and slipping off.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Only way to ledge cancel the second aerial immediatly after the first is by releasing the first one when the hitbox comes out, then ending it with another on the next frame.

easier with Fox, but only useful with Falcon.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
No thats not what I'm saying.

What he said. Your L-cancelling timing is just bad, causing you to aerial after landing and slipping off.
Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying. When you use Z instead of L or R on platforms and accidentally ledge cancel (which I do often), instead of your Z cancelling the aerial it turns into another aerial. I think this extra aerial is beneficial, thats the whole point.

Only way to ledge cancel the second aerial immediatly after the first is by releasing the first one when the hitbox comes out, then ending it with another on the next frame.

easier with Fox, but only useful with Falcon.
I have no idea what your talking about.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Then why can't i just ledge cancel and use any other button for my aerial?
You could, but what I'm talking about is a general sense of which button to use to cancel on platforms. Alot of times when I ledge cancel its accidental, so using Z allows me to do another aerial even if I just meant to cancel my aerial on the platform.

This technique is about using Z ALL THE TIME on platforms so that when you do ledge cancel you always do another aerial. I have nothing to say about the actual ledge cancel.

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
Then why can't i just ledge cancel and use any other button for my aerial?
This is what I do. I can usually always see the ledge cancel coming and prepare for an aerial immediately afterward if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom