• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taking Advantage of Frame Advantage

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Taking Advantage of Frame Advantage
An idiot's guide to the meaning of a consistently negative number in Brawl

Introduction
Hi, if you don't like numbers or aren't interested in finding frame-specific characteristics of your attacks (you really should focus on your basic game before you begin to cover this ****, so don't think frame data's gonna step your game up a ton, because it won't), then this thread won't be of much help to you. However, for those of you who are interested, this is how you can determine what things are "safe on block" and the meaning of the term "frame advantage."

Breakdown
Here's the basic characteristics of any attack.
HIT: This is the frame an attack hits on. Assuming the moment you press the button is frame 0, counting from there will give you the hit frame.

HITLAG: This number counts how many frames your character is stuck in his "I hit you" frame of animation. Basically the attacker (and, if unshielded, the attackee) will literally be frozen in place for this many frames.
BLOCKHITLAG: This number counts how many frames the character who gets attacked is frozen in place, assuming he shielded the attack. During these frames, the player can input any of the 8 cardinal directions with the control stick to SDI, one "unique" (you can SDI left twice during the same hitlag, but you can't SDI left twice in a row) direction per frame. All other inputs do absolutely nothing.
BLOCKSTUN: Once blockhitlag is over, the character is stuck in blockstun. During these frames, the player can no longer SDI, yet cannot unshield, grab, jump, or otherwise do anything besides continue shielding. However, you can input buffered commands, like jump, grab, or roll, during this period.

DURATION: How long an attack takes before you can do something else. Basically, how many frames it takes for the attack to be over.

FRAME ADVANTAGE: The difference, in terms of frames, between when you can first do something and when the opponent can first do something. If it's positive (and in Brawl, it never is or you'd have guaranteed shieldbreak strings) then you can act before the opponent does. If it's negative, then the opposite is true.

How to find frame advantage
Frame advantage can be calculated using all the of the above values, using the following formula:
(BLOCKHITLAG + BLOCKSTUN) - HITLAG - (DURATION - HIT) = FRAME ADVANTAGE

How do we come to this? Well, blockhitlag and blockstun are the frames where the opponent can't do anything, so those are the frames that you start with. Then you subtract your own attack's duration (minus hit because we're starting from the frame that the attack hits), along with your own hitlag because it extends the attack's duration, and you end up with the value for frame advantage.

Example
We'll go with Marth's tipper fsmash first, as an example, because it has good numbers for everything.

HIT: 10
Marth hits Snake's shield on frame 10. This is when everything starts.

BLOCKHITLAG: 10
Snake is frozen in his shield for 10 frames. He can SDI if he wants.

BLOCKSTUN: 5
Snake is forced to hold his shield for 5 more frames. He can buffer actions if he wants.

HITLAG: 16
DURATION: 49

Marth has to go through all of his hitlag and the rest of his fsmash's follow-through before he can do anything.

FRAME ADVANTAGE: -40

What does this -40 mean? Well, it basically means that Snake has 40 frames (two-thirds of a second) to do something from his shield, whether it's unshield (7 frames), run over and grab (6 frames to grab), or jump (??? frames) and do some aerial, or whatever, before Marth can even think about shielding or attacking. Kinda sucks, huh? Don't fsmash shields with Marth.

Now let's use an example where things aren't as simple.

A cooler example
Now, since Inui kept telling me a couple weeks ago about how Zero Suit Samus has this crazy good dsmash that's safe on block, I decided to go and find the real numbers. Here's what we've got.

HIT: 20
Relatively high startup, but still possible to hit a shield with, right?

HITLAG: 0 <--- this is ridiculous
BLOCKHITLAG: 8

I was surprised by the 0 hitlag, too. This means that Zero Suit Samus' dsmash imparts no innate disadvantage even when it hits something. Meanwhile, the opponent's frozen in shield for 8 frames.

BLOCKSTUN: 2
DURATION: 34

Mario has 2 frames to buffer something. Zero Suit Samus' attack ends 14 frames after it hits.

FRAME ADVANTAGE: -4

Cool number, right? Mario is left with 4 frames to do something.

How to use frame advantage
So, using the cool example above, Zero Suit Samus has a -4 frame advantage. Conversely, you can say that Mario has a 4 frame advantage. To see how this works, take the startup of any attack and subtract the frame advantage. For example, Mario's uhh, shieldgrab, "hits" on frame 6. With 4 frame advantage, 6 - 4 = 2, so it's the equivalent of grabbing on frame 2.

Unshield: 7 frames

Uhh, no. You're basically giving 3 free frames right back to Zero Suit Samus with this. After that, you definitely have nothing you can do before ZSS can avoid your response.

Shieldgrab: 6 frames

6 - 4 = 2, right? Well, too bad Zero Suit Samus' jab hits on frame 1. This pretty much completely thwarts the usual plan of grabbing after shielding an attack.

Up+B: 3 frames + 1 frame of "jump startup" = 4 frames

Yeah, this is pretty much all you can do. And what about characters who don't have some insanely fast "Dragon Punch" maneuver like Mario? While Marth has his Dolphin Slash due to the startup invulnerability, Meta Knight does not - his Shuttle Loop hits AND ONLY BEGINS TO HAVE INVULNERABILITY on frame 5, which translates to all that stuff happening on frame 6 from shield and means that, once again, ZSS' jab will prevail 1 frame before Meta Knight could've made a difference.

Yeah, that's right.

Addendum - Perfect Shielding
Perfect shielding is hitting shield with good enough timing to "just block" an attack. The timing window is relatively large in Brawl compared to Melee, but anyway.

If you perfect shield an attack, damage to your shield (how much your shield shrinks) is reduced to 0, blockstun is reduced to 0, and if you let go of the shield button before the blockhitlag is over, you will be in "standing" position rather than "shielding," allowing you to completely circumvent the 7-frame lag of unshielding to perform an action and blockhitlag is reduced to 0. As you can likely tell, this will affect frame advantage; specifically, it'll make it worse off for the attacker.

Summary
Frame advantage is (almost) always negative in Brawl, but this doesn't mean that there's nothing you can do for legitimate shield pressure. Leaving just large enough of a timing window for you to do something to break out of what would ordinarily look like an unsafe situation (AKA frame-trapping) is all about knowing your negative frame advantage and how to make the most of it.

Hope this helps for whatever you might want to use frame advantage for, and I'll be taking any questions if I might've missed something.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
first post yeayuhzz

That Zamus dsmash stuff is insane. Especially when you're at the edge where the opponent can't roll away/behind her anymore.

One more reasonto loveWlfs shine <3

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
An excellent thread. Well thought out, properly presented and thoroughly explained on top of that. A nice read, to be sure.

Five stars.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Cool thread :)

Yes, i think that a lot of us discovered lately that Brawl was not favorising defense THAT much. Shield pressure still exists, and safe moves as well :)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Awesome thread.

No questions regarding usage,

but how did you guys test for frames?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Video recording equipment. I record doing something, take the interlaced frames and separate each field into its own frame, and then count frame-by-frame.

sam4

Smash Cadet
This is pretty cool. It's an in-depth way to analyze OoS options in the best way. Smash Lab material, even.

Good job.

J4pu

Smash Champion
FRAME ADVANTAGE: The difference, in terms of frames, between when you can first do something and when the opponent can first do something. If it's positive (and in Brawl, it never is or you'd have guaranteed shieldbreak strings) then you can act before the opponent does. If it's negative, then the opposite is true.
I don't believe this is true, but if it is please explain your reasoning because I would like to understand why.

The reasons why I don't believe it is true is because the startup of the attack that gave you the advantage would have to be shorter than the advantage given in order to make the string continuous, a positive advantage would not guarantee shieldbreak by itself.

Falco's silent laser has +3 frame advantage for example, but the SH needed to precede the laser takes up many more frames than the 3 advantage.

Other than this small piece I found this to be an exceptional thread.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If Falco's silent laser has +3 advantage, then at point blank he is guaranteed a hit of his 2-frame jab BEFORE THE OPPONENT CAN UNSHIELD. There are things with positive frame advantage, I suppose, and they're practically all projectiles. Luckily there aren't enough things with a combination of positive frame advantage and low startup to shieldbreak on demand.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Good **** anko. Nice way of putting it for those who don't know about it.

Also, does zamus' dsmash count as a "projectile" or something(similar to Snake's usmash)?

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Excellent thread. Incredibly useful information, with excellent visual description. THIS is why SWF exists.

I'm surprised more character boards aren't focused on this. I know 3GOD did a pretty thorough frame guide on Bowser (including shield hitstun and shield lag), and you're working on one for the Sheik boards, but I expect other character boards will have frame data springing to life after this thread.

Excellent job again Ankoku, you continue to impress. Thank God you're in the SBR.

Hype

Smash Lord
Falco's silent laser has a positive frame advantage.

I believe its +3

Edit: just realized this was already talked about

Adapt

Smash Lord
Good ****.

ZSS dsmash is totally a projectile.
I got beat to it...
I'm pretty sure that's why it has zero hitlag.

It's a weird projectile though, you can't reflect it, but you can absorb/bucket it. I think Din's Fire is the same way.

This is why ZSS mains love this move even with its 20 frame startup. (And the fact that it stuns for long enough to get any followup you want)

Genos

Smash Apprentice
I got beat to it...
I'm pretty sure that's why it has zero hitlag.

It's a weird projectile though, you can't reflect it, but you can absorb/bucket it. I think Din's Fire is the same way.

This is why ZSS mains love this move even with its 20 frame startup. (And the fact that it stuns for long enough to get any followup you want)
Nah, Din's Fire can be reflected. Well, not exactly reflected since it doesn't bounce back but it becomes "your own" if you use a reflector on it.

I've been meaning to test for awhile whether or not ZSS's down smash is like Snake's up smash when it is caped. If Mario capes Snake while he is doing an up smash the mortar becomes Mario's. I was thinking this may be true for ZSS's down smash but I'm not sure. Even if it can be quasi-reflected I doubt it would hit her anyway so it appears to be useless. Still, it could be useful in teams.

Villi

Smash Lord
I didn't know you could SDI shield hits. ...

Would shield SDI up or down have an effect on anything?

If you let go of your shield button during blockstun, will you still buffer a roll by pressing left or right?

Why does jumping out of shield after an attack sometimes cause a double jump/super jump?

Does shield advantage and pushback change with decay?

I've noticed jumping out of shield with Zelda's Naryu's Love after an attack on her shield causes her to rise in the air while performing the attack instead of it stopping the momentum of her jump/canceling her jump. Why is that? It might be related somehow.

Stevenn

Smash Cadet
I like this gj

I'll like to know someone like Lucario
I find it hard to get around him c( :

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Also just so Yuna's notion doesn't somehow get 'blown' out of proportion...

-4 advantage isn't unique to ZSS. Marth has 4 moves which are "-4 advantage" (1st strike DB, fffair, ffuair, ffnair). Oh and all of those don't take 20 frames to come out either <3 (well screw jumping).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's been around at least since Melee. Up and down does nothing. Left and right makes you go left or right slightly.

I'm just gonna point out that it's blatant sarcasm for those who didn't get it, a parody of the "It breaks the game since it's different from the norm!"-argument.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm just gonna point out that it's blatant sarcasm for those who didn't get it, a parody of the "It breaks the game since it's different from the norm!"-argument.
I was hoping that would be implied in what I said. But twice the reinforcement can only mean 2x as unlikely to have a blow out right? It is smashboards, after all.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was hoping that would be implied in what I said. But twice the reinforcement can only mean 2x as unlikely to have a blow out right? It is smashboards, after all.
I know you knew it was sarcasm. And, yes, I was only elaborating to drive the point home some more since, after all, this is post-'08 SWF.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

Would shield SDI up or down have an effect on anything?
No, except for having less travel distance by picking a diagonal.

If you let go of your shield button during blockstun, will you still buffer a roll by pressing left or right?
I'm not exactly sure whether this will buffer a roll or an unshield-dash.

Why does jumping out of shield after an attack sometimes cause a double jump/super jump?
I'm not entirely sure of this behavior, either. My current theory is that you're buffering a jump and then it's reading the input of a jump immediately after blockstun ends, so you buffered jump into double jump.

Does shield advantage and pushback change with decay?
Yes.

I've noticed jumping out of shield with Zelda's Naryu's Love after an attack on her shield causes her to rise in the air while performing the attack instead of it stopping the momentum of her jump/canceling her jump. Why is that? It might be related somehow.
No idea.

Don't forget to mention perfect shielding Ankoku...
Good point, I'll add this as a subsection. For anyone who'd like to know, perfect shielding an attack will reduce blockstun to 0 and once blockhitlag is over you will be reset to "not shielding" instead of "shielding." It also greatly reduces how much you slide from an attack, though it doesn't completely negate it.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
This is an excellent guide Ankoku. Clear explanation on various numbers and the lie, diagrams, examples...very nice indeed

Regarding perfect shielding, I love doing it but with attacks that last a long time/have multiple hits, I never know whether I should keep my shield up or let it go because I won't get hurt...sorry if this is the wrong place but am I right in thinking that I should keep my shield up for multi hits (MK's Fair) and let go for single moves that last a long time after perfect shielding them (Links grounded Up + B)?

Also, does shield size have any effect on block hit lag/block hit stun/frame advantage?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Also, does shield size have any effect on block hit lag/block hit stun/frame advantage?
Sort of. If you angle your shield toward your opponent's attack, your opponent's attack hits the shield earlier (assuming it's a 'moving' hitbox, and not a move where the hitbox just 'appears' over you when you're in range).

I guess you could kind of say that applies to having a larger as opposed to a smaller shield, since smaller shields tend to be closer to the ground so certain things like falling aerials/moving hitboxes will be closer to the end of their animation when they hit your shield than if you had a larger shield / taller character.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You should mention something about shieldpushback, and how it can affect frame advantages in tandem with spacing.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^@ph00t: I did that once--no one really gave a **** because I tried before people figured out how to get frame data...

[subscribes]

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman

-4 advantage isn't unique to ZSS. Marth has 4 moves which are "-4 advantage" (1st strike DB, fffair, ffuair, ffnair). Oh and all of those don't take 20 frames to come out either <3 (well screw jumping).
It's true that ZSS isn't the only one with -4 adv, but she's the only one with an effective trap following it, unless Squirtle has a -4 adv that I likely don't know about.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
How do you SDI during shield hits? I would think that if you use the control stick while your shield is up, you'd buffer a roll; with the c-stick, you'd shieldgrab. :ohwell:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You SDI during the blockhitlag, which is not blockstun. You can tell the difference because during blockhitlag you're literally frozen in place, and during blockstun you'll slide along the ground. It's generally unwise to rely on SDIing during shield because blockhitlag is much lower than it was in Melee (where it was high enough that multihit attacks would prevent you from unshielding accidentally, thus allowing you to SDI things like Fox's dair from your shield easily) and you're more likely to end up buffering an unsafe roll than actually SDIing.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
K, thanks for the explanation.

I don't think Olimar has hitlag on his pikmin attacks. (I haven't looked into this though, so I could be wrong) Could this be because they have projectile properties?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The best way to classify a projectile is whether the user has hitlag or not. I don't know Olimar's frame data firsthand, but if it has zero hitlag for Olimar then it is a projectile.

Hype

Smash Lord
You SDI during the blockhitlag, which is not blockstun. You can tell the difference because during blockhitlag you're literally frozen in place, and during blockstun you'll slide along the ground. It's generally unwise to rely on SDIing during shield because blockhitlag is much lower than it was in Melee (where it was high enough that multihit attacks would prevent you from unshielding accidentally, thus allowing you to SDI things like Fox's dair from your shield easily) and you're more likely to end up buffering an unsafe roll than actually SDIing.
A great way to demonstrait SDI during blocklag is to get hit by the laser on halberd, shield it, and try there. You have like 5-6 seconds of constant blockhitlag.

Top Bottom