• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So...how badly does Kirby wreck Ike?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Or is the matchup neutral?

The Kirby board is discussing their matchup vs. Ike this week, and we're creating a full guide, based on:

Character: (Duh)
Difficulty rating: (Your rating of the match)
Overview: (What general strategies does this character employ against a Kirby? Does he camp? Go all out offensive?)
Pros+Cons: (What does this character have going for him? Weight? Speed? How about things we can take advantage of?)
Watch out for: (This character's favourite moves and when he'll use them)
How to win: (What Kirby needs to do to beat this character)
Spit out or Swallow?: (Do we want to copy his ability or keep the inhale for Kirbycides/under-stage spits?)
What NOT to do: (If you want to lose, go right ahead)
Stages: (Which to counterpick? Which to avoid?)
Synopsis: (Tl;Dr version)

The focus is on stage counterpicks and an Ike player's favourite moves, but we'd really appreciate if some Ikes could fill out as much as they could

Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Honestly not that badly, like a 60:40, maybe 65:35 (but I doubt it). You want to keep inhale. You don't want low ceilings stages, and if you're going to fight him, obviously combo him to hell from 0 and aim to make your kills gimps because you're not KOing him before 2022.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Falcon said he thought the match-up was 50-50 and I am inclined to agree with him seeing as how Kirby hates both range and power hitters.

More to come later.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'd say its around 55-45 to 60-40 kirby's favor. Not sure about the low ceilings like ryko said though. Yes Ike will kill you earlier but he will kill you at a low percent no matter the stage. Kirby also has like a 50% combo from 0 and can juggle and combo pretty well from there on which would get Ike to a killing percent on a stage with close boundaries.

I've been trying to pick up kirby for a while now but since I'm in vacation in mexico can't really practice against anything but computers and while I was in el paso I was really working on my Ike so even though it's been a while my kirby is still pretty mediocre.

The only reason I want to use him is because Kirby super star ultra was really fun and this way I don't have to play a ditto match up.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
There, I posted. I think anything from 50-50 to 40-60 Kirby's favor is acceptable, if you have to choose something make it 55-45 for you guys.

The only reason I want to use him is because Kirby super star ultra was really fun and this way I don't have to play a ditto match up.
Kirby Super Star (Ultra) was indeed very fun. Props to you.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yes Ike will kill you earlier but he will kill you at a low percent no matter the stage.
The chance of Kirby killing you off the top is practically non-existent, ike's fine with low ceilings here because unlike, say, fox, kirby has no way to actually reliably roof ike so a low ceiling here is a win situation.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
yah but this isn't melee there are no low cielings far horizontal borders. Just 3 types of boundaries which are the ones offered in the stage editor.

So even if kirby can't kill with a low cieling that Fsmash and hammer still pack a punch.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
yah but this isn't melee there are no low cielings far horizontal borders. Just 3 types of boundaries which are the ones offered in the stage editor.

So even if kirby can't kill with a low cieling that Fsmash and hammer still pack a punch.
Halberd has a notoriously low ceiling with pretty far borders, granted the stage is wide in of itself and kirby actually does very well on the stage but the point stands >_>

D

Deleted member

I thought Ike won this match until I played chu a lot. Kirby is really gay.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
I hate to say almost even, but in Kirbys favor.

Kirby is light and lacks range. Kirby isn't lightning fast either, but he is faster than Ike and he can combo (w/e comboes are in brawl)

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Well Kirby has that d-throw, utilt, utilt > usmash/ bair thingy on Ike which seems to work pretty well. In general floating around Ike isn't too bad at all, if someone isn't fooled by the range of his attacks he should have the advantage imo. Ike doesn't have that much on Kirby anyway. The fact that Kirby can just move in and out while airborne for his attacks makes up for his range.

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
Watch out for Bair ****.....
and probably stressing an obvious point but dont fall for the obvious fsmash bait (ie f throw bthrow dash attack) ikes both love and hate fsmash

comboking

Smash Master
If taken to Rainbow Cruise we need to watch out for the grab. Kirby also has a projectile.
Kirby can use his upb to edgehog Ike. Thats all for now.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Final Cutter beam sucks as a projectile for it is easy to PS.

I also would like to know how it would be possible for Kirby to Up-B edgehog Ike (although this doesn't make recovery any less headdesk worthy...)

comboking

Smash Master
They grab the ledge you go to recover they bair you. You then go to recover again and they upB grab the edge before you jump up to the ledge. Since Kirby's upB is faster than Ike's.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

I also would like to know how it would be possible for Kirby to Up-B edgehog Ike (although this doesn't make recovery any less headdesk worthy...)
same way that ftilt combos from jab? I'm guessing the kirby will knock your controller off your hands like you would to the lucario.

comboking

Smash Master

I have done it before.
same way that ftilt combos from jab? I'm guessing the kirby will knock your controller off your hands like you would to the lucario.
hahahaha funny!

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Well, if Kirby gets hit by sidesmash, upsmash, uptilt, sidetilt, downair, sideair, backair, or helicopter havoc, he's dead. But Kirby still has the advantage of being faster and having better recovery.

Or what if Ike counters Kirby's hammer?

Ike is my 2nd main next to Wolf, so I think I'll try that matchup.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Thank you I guess. It's kinda common sense

unless you were being sarcastic than NVM
................................. Of course it was sarcasm!!!

If even you think it's common sense, then wtf is the point of posting it? If it's common sense to YOU, it's WAY past common sense to us.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I tried the matchup - I was Ike VS Kirby - and I dominated him. I remember watching Kirby die from helicopter havoc... yeah that was an awesome match.

Oh, and like I said, I countered Kirby's hammer.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
At least he is right on that point.

He's tossing out an idea, maybe nobody else would've had thought of it.

If that holds true, great, something to think about during midfight.

If he gets proven wrong, that's just dandy as well, at least he learned something new.

Even if the guy is kind of... "off" you people are way too harsh sometimes.

Top Bottom