• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't play this game right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday I was doing great, I learned my spacing for Marth perfectly. I was destroying all of my friends and was doing great. Now, only one day later. I am trying to play with TL a bit and I get whipped by a lvl 9 Kirby. So I decide that was weird and stopped playing. Now I fought Bowser with TL, got owned. Tried my main Marth, and lost and Bowser still had two out of the three stock! What should I do to replace the proper ownage that I had yesterday that is now gone?!?!?!?!?

brinboy789

Smash Champion
its an off-day, everybody has them sometimes. once, i could NOT use MK one day, i was like SDing all over the place and using JAB constantly, so i just turned the wii off, lol, and i was back to normal the next day.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
That is good to hear. Except that at the moment I can either use the computers (and I will be on Smashboards, and I have been on for hours) or play Smash Bros. It is very difficult to avoid playing a game that I am totally into at the moment when my only other option is to talk about it. :( :( :( :( :(

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Stop playing Brawl, stop posting on Brawl boards, stop thinking about Brawl.

When you go back to the game in a few days, you'll be fine.

If you honestly think that there's nothing in the world that you could be doing instead, you're quite possibly the most unimaginative person I've ever met. Read a book, for chrissake's.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
You did not perfect your spacing. You can't do that in one day. That is something that takes weeks or months to do. Don't play CPU, you SHOULD be able to beat them with ease, but doing so won't make you better anyways. Find some people to play IRL, if you cant the next best thing is wi-fi.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I am trying to play with TL a bit and I get whipped by a lvl 9 Kirby.
That's your problem right there. Playing a computer does not make you better. Computer's have a sort of timing that is unseen in human play, and also do not play like human's. Unless you're practicing to beat some supercomputer in brawl, it's kinda pointless to even fight a computer player.

Also, just as a side note if you do great one day and terrible the next that's playing inconsistent. Playing consistently is a part of becoming better. The more consistently [skill-wise] you play, the more you'll notice your "off days" start to disappear.

-Good Luck!

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
haha its like if I dont play brawl for one whole week and all of a sudden, ive gotten much better from where I left off. Very weird, I guess its because alot of times you get bored with something you tend to not play as well as you use to. So its basically a refresher if you stop playing brawl for a couple days.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Ok this has been said before but still DON'T fight lvl 9 cpu's if you want to get better. If you wanna practice then fight lvl 3's and focus on what you want to improve.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Level Nines will only get you set on the wrong track. Also, Wifis lagg will get you on the wrong track. Tourneys or friends are the way to go.

EDIT: One more thing. What you should really do is Watch videos of your character. Good proffesional videos. It WILL benefit you

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
I have been debating on if I should do that. But ok, then I will. Thanks for all the help and support!

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
There is absolutely nothing wrong with fighting Level 9 CPUs at your level, so long as you keep in mind that they are, in fact, computers. Use the opportunity to practice spacing, punishment, and the practical application of techs that you've been practicing.

Don't play to win against a Level 9, play to learn. Don't go looking for strategies that will win you games, just learn how to be comfortable moving quickly and efficiently with your character, while under pressure.

Level 3 CPUs are morons. If you're going to practice against them you may as well practice on Sandbag. Once you get to a higher level of play, you're going to want to abandon practicing against CPUs altogether.

Is it better to play against a real person? Of course.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
There is absolutely nothing wrong with fighting Level 9 CPUs at your level, so long as you keep in mind that they are, in fact, computers. Use the opportunity to practice spacing, punishment, and the practical application of techs that you've been practicing.

Don't play to win against a Level 9, play to learn. Don't go looking for strategies that will win you games, just learn how to be comfortable moving quickly and efficiently with your character, while under pressure.

Level 3 CPUs are morons. If you're going to practice against them you may as well practice on Sandbag. Once you get to a higher level of play, you're going to want to abandon practicing against CPUs altogether.

Is it better to play against a real person? Of course.
No, in Level 9 matches, the CPU will not give you ample oppurtunity to practice-whatever technique/control scheme/strategy you're trying out, you won't be able to use it since you'll be too focued on the CPU in the heat of the moment. In the heat of the moment, it is nigh impossible to try out new things. You will automatically revert back to the stuff you've been doing so far.

For exmaple, I've recently changed how I use the controller. I now shield with L instead of R so as to leave my index finger free to press the Z button. In matches against my friends, I kept reverting back to using R, since that's where my muscle memory was. The level 9 CPU's will cause the same thing to happen.

Level 3's would leave themselves open, and be slower. This gives me -time- to actively think about using L instead of R, and practice that in a real match. Going to training mode and practicing some new AT until you know the muscle memory will only get you so far. You need to learn how to preform that AT without thinking about the button presses. This cannot be replicate in training mode, because you don't have an actual match going on where you have to focus on other factors.

Level 3 CPU's provide you with the middle ground you need between training mode and an actual match. In fact, you said you learned Marth's spacing perfectly. If that was done solely in training mode, you wouldn't have been able to do it as well in a real match.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
And how is that going to fix your shielding problem? I'm very sure that you're capable of using L to shield when you think about using L to shield.

You said it yourself, it doesn't matter if you can do something by thinking about it, you need to be able to do it while you're focusing on more important matters. So why would you play a level 3 and give yourself time to think about it? You don't have to focus on fighting, because level 3's are morons. I wanted to check just how bad level 3's are, so I went a started a match. 1 v 1, my Falco vs Level 3 Bowser. I didn't move.

Bowser slooooooooooooowly walked across the stage towards me. Halfway across the stage, he jumped backwards. Then shorthopped straight up. Then sheilded, and dropped the shield into a downsmash (still halfway across the stage). He then walked towards me again, proceeded to jump over me three times in a row for no apparent reason, ran back across the stage, ran back towards me, jumped over me one more time for good measure, grabbed me and didn't do anything, then finally walked up to me and jabbed me. The whole ordeal took about ten seconds.

Learning to shield with L in this scenario is useless, since, as you said, once you play a human, that's all going to go out the window and you'll be reverting back to your old ways.

The fact that level 9's don't give you opportunity to practice is a good thing. If you can't do the tech, you should be in training mode learning it. If you can do the tech, you should be learning how to use it while under a crap-ton of pressure. This is how I originally learned the timing for Falco's SHDL. And it was hilariously useless in the match, because the CPU shielded every one of my Lasers. But it doesn't matter, because I was learning how to consistently SHDL while someone was actively pursuing me and trying to stop me.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Learn to Metamindgamespam.

Does not work on computers.

At least, not yet.

Isn't this the fourth thread you've made in the Tactical Discussion board? I'm sure there's a stickied thread for these kinds of questions. You're stealing all of my attenshuns atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom