• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete Grab-Release (congo carry) thread in-progress

Tujex

Smash Ace
Awesome. I thought I was gonna have to get off my lazy behind and do this myself. I can assist if needed.

Luigi player

Smash Master
What does everyone expect here? DK can only really chaingrab/grab release Ness and Lucas and noone else.

I'm really sure even a jab is too slow to hit your enemy before he can dodge/shield. And if your opponent makes mistakes you could hit them with everything.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Grab releases are not necessarily going to be used for chaingrabs: they put the opponent in good positions for you to **** them. I look forward to seeing this thread develop, and I can help if needed.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
although not a cargo-release, DK's normal grab-release on wario goes into f.smash, (good for damage) dash upsmash (KOing), giant punch, or even 9 wind (koing at 60%+)

Mith_

Smash Champion
Yea grab releases can lead to more than just chain grabs LP ;)

Since grabbing is a big part of DK's game its important to know all of your options after you grab your opponent, rather than just throwing. :laugh:

Luigi player

Smash Master
although not a cargo-release, DK's normal grab-release on wario goes into f.smash, (good for damage) dash upsmash (KOing), giant punch, or even 9 wind (koing at 60%+)
No, he can double jump to avoid it...

Maybe you could jump and use the 9-punch, but I didn't test it. The fsmash does not work, because he can just jump before you'd hit him.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I haven't done any extensive testing, but I think only the upsmash and fully charged punch would be guaranteed, and I'm not even sure about those.

I need more experience vs Wario.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Everytime i try the 9 wind punch it never works, they just jump before it comes out.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The running upsmash hits him and works good, but this is known anyway.

9-wind punch doesn't work? Not even if you jump? Ah well it is really slow..

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I didnt try it while jumping, i figured if you jumped it would take too long for it to come out.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Just looking at frame data, it wouldn't make sense for the 9-punch to work.

You should have 20 frames of time to perform whatever attack you want to do. Punches that are not fully charged don't hit in front of you until frame 26, whereas fully charged punches can hit on frame 19. The only way a 9-punch would connect is if you somehow predict and follow what your opponent does.

Up and down smashes should have enough time to execute, but the forward smash also doesn't hit until after 20 frames.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think ive been able to do the forward smash. Not sure if im remembering correctly however.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
In training mode, i would Grab, hit him once, let out...mash B...it registers as a 2 hit combo.

Either ya'll aren't pressing B twice in a row fast enough, or training mode is lying to me about what is a combo.

i'm about to test it with a human, to see...

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Usually things that happen in training mode dont always happen in a real match.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
BLAH. i fail.

training mode lied to me.
DI doesn't affect wario's grab release distance, obviously, and it registered as a combo...but if Wario mashes the jump button, perhaps he recovers earlier.

A wario can jump out before the 9 wind...
:(

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
The down smash definitely comes out fast enough, and you can use it almost immediately since its vertical range extends to about that of the up smash. I haven't personally tried up smash out of grab release on Wario but I'm looking forward to it =)

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
after testing w/ a human who was turbo mashing Y from the grab. If timed correctly, the F.smash, Dash UpSmash, stepping D.Smash, and fully charged Giant punch should ALL WORK. (at least)

this is still very good.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
BLAH. i fail.

training mode lied to me.
DI doesn't affect wario's grab release distance, obviously, and it registered as a combo...but if Wario mashes the jump button, perhaps he recovers earlier.

A wario can jump out before the 9 wind...
:(
Thought so. I know theres a timing to make the 9 punch come out as fast as possible but im pretty sure its still too slow.

As far as i know, up smash and fully charged punch are the only two moves that work. Maybe forward smash but im not sure.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ I know up smash works, that my fav one to use.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I'm not convinced on the fsmash, but it doesn't matter since I'd rather use the upsmash in most situations anyway (pretty much all the time unless I'm on Jungle Japes or something, in which case Wario has a whole other host of problems).

Luigi player

Smash Master
Fsmash doesn't work. I buffered it after Wario was grab released and he could jump away before it hit him.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
This information needs to be compiled. Does Fsmash really work? What about the other smashes and under what conditions? Is it possible to 9-wind out of a grab release? What about footstool? If I had brawl next to me I'd try it.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
When grabbing Snake, slowly bring him to the ledge and walk in place. When the grab release happens and you both fall off the stage buffer an up-B, I'm pretty sure he'll be hit no matter what. You can then grab the ledge and follow up with a B-air to Etc.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
When grabbing Snake, slowly bring him to the ledge and walk in place. When the grab release happens and you both fall off the stage buffer an up-B, I'm pretty sure he'll be hit no matter what. You can then grab the ledge and follow up with a B-air to Etc.
Okay now this right here is something I never would have even thought to try. I'm going to have to do some experimenting.

Just so I know, how many frames of lag to people get during a cargo release? (I was under the assumption that it would be 30 for both characters, unless Ness or Lucas are involved).
EDIT: Quick check says that DK gets a 1-frame advantage on all characters for a cargo release. I suppose we just have to abuse the speed of our aerial up+b.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
(Double post because this is too long for an edit)
Okay, I just went through the various boards and compared some frame data. I'm assuming that the information I have is correct, in that DK gets a 1-frame advantage on people during a cargo release, and that his aerial up+b first hits on frame 4. Therefore, I'm checking to see what characters can do something within 3 frames to avoid this.
This list is untested and does not consider falling speeds or character's abilities to simply jump away. Please do not just assume that this will work without testing. I don't even know if all the frame data is correct.

Characters who will easily escape
Bowser: Up+b with invincibility frames (not sure)
DK: If he breaks out earlier than other characters, he will obviously hit you first with just about anything
Marth: Up+B with invincibility frames
Metaknight: Uair may be faster
Peach: Nair may be faster
Sheik: Nair may be faster
Zero Suit Samus: Down+B with invincibility frames

Characters who may be able to avoid it but it's like super risky
Jigglypuff: I doubt it's lined up correctly, but rest is fast enough. She will obviously fall to her death if this is done.
Olimar: Down+b may work, but you can then edgehog him to death.
Snake: Can pull a grenade, but this is a bad idea if you simply don't up+b right away.
Wolf: Down+b may avoid, but you can then edgehog

I don't have frame data
Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, Ice Climbers, King Dedede, Link, Pokemon Trainer, ROB, Samus, Sonic

Attacks are equally as fast as DK's aerial up+b*
Falco: Nair
Fox: Down+b
Luigi: Nair
Mario: Up+b
Pikachu: Nair and Uair
Pit: Nair
Yoshi: Nair

* : While they may be equally fast, DK's up+b has invincibility frames. I would expect him to beat these characters.

Game & Watch just has to be different, doesn't he?
- If Oil Panic is fully charged, it will be faster
- Up+b may be able to push us away
- His air dodge may come out in time

Characters who cannot attack or air dodge in time
Ganondorf, Ike, Kirby, Lucario, Lucas, Ness, Toon Link, Wario, Zelda

I stress again that this is completely untested. Characters who simply fall too fast or slow will not be in range of the up+b, and most of the others can simply jump away.

Also, if you don't buffer the up+b, you will probably be footstooled to death by just about every character.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599

Also, if you don't buffer the up+b, you will probably be footstooled to death by just about every character.

This seems a little risky dont you think.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
It's not even timing. You could probably hold up and mash B while you are waiting for the release.
I mean, yeah, it's certainly risky, but it would be worth it if it works.
I'm really curious now to know which characters (if any) can't jump away in time. It would be a pretty useful technique if it's guaranteed.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
mario's upb also has invincibility frames and so does MK's
MetaKnight's invincibility frames are only on his GROUNDED shuttle loop, and even then they aren't until frame 5 (they would need to be on frame 3 in order to avoid our up+b). Either way, his uair is fast enough anyway.

I did not know about Mario's up+b having invincibility, though. Their frame data thread is rather incomplete. I would need to know when the invincibility is to know if it would save him, though.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I don't really think that the aerial cargo release to up b is good because they seem to be able to DI much better in the air. It would probably be better to cargo down throw them into stage if you can't cargo stage spike because it sometimes combos into up b. If they happen to break out I guess it is good to know that you can probably up b them though.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm mostly thinking of it from a perspective of where you are going for the cargo down throw but they happen to break out just before you do. It would be good to know which characters you will still get a hit in against.

Top Bottom