• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DAD's SMASH LAB UPDATED 1/22 - Wizard Kick Canceling 101; "Z1gman Comboing"!!!

hyperstation

Smash Lord
DAD's SMASH LAB

Smash, lemme git 'em! - Weezy F. Baby

A Not-So-Brief Introduction
Ganondorf is very quickly becoming a character whose success is mounted on the precision, consistency, and technical ability of the person playing him in addition to his strengths as a punisher, a tech chaser, and a general heavy hitting power-house. As the brawl metagame has evolved, Ganon's metagame has consistently lost it's "early adopter" advantage seen soon after release in incredibly strong yet elementary techniques like Thunderstorming and basic Gerudo chaining and followups. We've seen huge advances in the use of the UAir - generally considered Ganon's best move by a large margin - as well as a plethora of Advanced Techniques, such as Flight of Ganon, Wizard Kick Canceling in all its permutations, and how one might (ab)use the buffering system in Brawl to GREAT affect. In short, Ganon's game, like most other characters, is continually and necessarily evolving into something incredibly complex; a mode of play whose fruits are only born from the exhaustive knowledge of the person controlling Ganon. The sole purpose of DAD's Smash Lab (hereafter DSL) is to serve as the fulcrum of the investigation and refinement of specific techniques that I (DAD) and other top notch Ganon mains deem to be worthy of an exhaustive glance. We will dissect bit-by-bit the very essence of his evolving metagame and archive it in a way that makes continual growth for our favorite character more fluid and, ideally, more aggressive. Always check the OP. Salient information from the discussion will always be formatted here, and links to the discussion on any given topic will always be provided.

Enjoy,
<3 DAD​

ABSOLUTELY Necessary Class Reading/Viewing
(Recommendations Encouraged)

Recommended Topics Not Currently Under Discussion in DSL
(Recommendations Encouraged)

DAD's SMASH LAB

IMAGE BY Z1GMA <3

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

Ganon on the (L)edge

1. Ledge Hop -> instant Double Jump (iDJ) (Discussion begins on p. 1)

Related Topics/Videos
Concept and Process
  1. Grab the ledge
  2. Ledge Hop using Y, X, or Up on the control stick
  3. Immediately use your second jump while either DIing away from the stage, into the stage, or applying no DI to jump straight up and re-grab the ledge
  4. If "smoke/dust" appears below Ganon's feet, you iDJed too late. If ONLY two DJ rings appear below Ganon's feet, you iDJed perfectly.
  5. With no DI, a Ledge Hop -> iDJ will re-grab the ledge. If he lands on the stage, you iDJed too late. Practice this to optimize the timing for your Ledge Hop -> iDJ.

Application
My introductory video is 90% instructional and 10% practical. That is, don't watch the video hoping to see how you might apply Ledge Hop -> iDJ to your play style; watch it in order to learn this tech's process. The applications of this move are still being investigated. I'll be adding more to this application section as the discussion progresses.

With NO DI, one has a number of options. My first thought was to figure out a way for Ganon to "plank" on the ledge, forcing an approach. This hasn't really come to fruition, but nonetheless, we have a few options. NAir and UAir both have applications if your opponent is on stage. You may need to use an Aerial Gerudo to instantly re-grab the ledge if your iDJ is very low to the stage. FAir can be used situationally and may similarly require an Aerial Gerudo or Up+B to re-grab the ledge. If an opponent is recovering from below, one can use DAir after the iDJ to **** the ledge. Doing this as opposed to Ledge Drop -> DJ DAir gives you more flexibility. If you use the c-stick, you will probably FF. If you hold down while performing your iDJ and just tap A while falling, you won't FF. Both inputs have their application. BAir and UAir can both serve to edge guard. You'll have a different range than you would by Ledge Hopping -> UAir/BAir or Ledge Dropping -> UAir/BAir. With the addition of the iDJ BAir, UAir, Ganon's range of edge guarding with just the tipman or BAir is pretty amazing.

While DIing Away from the stage, one mostly alters their edge guarding range against opponents recovering laterally or from below. Both BAir and Uair (with or without FF) obviously serve to edge guard. Once can also FAir to cover a pretty nice range beyond the ledge, but you will need to Up+B to re-grab the ledge. DAir can, of course, spike to hell and back. As a method of getting rid of RCO Lag or Ganonciding, one can DI away and use Aerial Gerudo onto the stage, to re-grab the ledge, or to choke your opponent into the void.

Finally, and arguably most importantly, whle DIing into the stage, one has a handful of very potent options. First and foremost, as shown in the video, Ganon can AC DAir. You can catch taller opponents (Samus, Snake...) or just use it to space a buffered followup. Any (reverse) buffered move you might use under normal circumstances can be used here as well. If you have RCO Lag, you obviously won't be able to buffer. BAir can be ACed and can be used if you jump over your opponent. You will probably have to FF this move due to BAir's bizarre hitbox, but given that BAir is often very fresh, this has great KO potential, and the landing lag from the FF BAir would likely be of no import. Tippering a FF UAir will push your opponent onto the ledge setting them up for a ledge/stage spike. NAir and FAir have their uses, but they don't seem so great. As some have pointed out, DIing in is indeed a way to use the Infinite Second Jump Recovery glitch. I've managed to ISJR with DAir, and Air Dodge, which leads me to my next point. Not only is Air Dodging a good Ledge->Stage approach option, you can indeed perform a Flight of Ganon. The use I see here would be DAir at higher perecentages -> ISJR FoG -> UAir off the top of the stage. Imagine the humiliation.​

Notes
  • At >100%, a Ledge Hop occurs slower than normally. You will have to adjust your timing accordingly. Honestly, at >100%, I generally will just opt for a soft Ledge Drop->Air Dodge onto stage since pretty much everything is so freaking slow for Ganon at that point.
  • Blad's Bouncing "Combo" can be set up here pretty easily via AC DAir -> UAir. In theory, this is pretty beautiful because not only can it rack up damage pretty nicely, it might push the opponent onto the ledge for a spike. The problem is, the Bouncing "Combo" can still be teched. :urg:

2. Wizard Kick Canceling (WKC) NEW (Discussion begins on p. 6)

Related Topics/Videos
Concept and Process (WKC AWAY from the stage)
  1. Watch the video listed above. Visual description will serve better than words, in this case.
  2. Space yourself correctly from the ledge.
  3. Perform a Wizard Kick.
  4. The Wizard Kick will cancel, and you can perform any aerial.
Concept and Process (WK BEYOND the ledge)
  1. Watch the video listed above. Visual description will serve better than words, in this case.
  2. Space yourself closer to the ledge than the spacing necessary to perform a WKC.
  4. As the Roll Out animation ends beyond the ledge, you can perform exactly one jump and one aerial and recover safely to a ledge grab.
Concept and Process (WKC INTO the stage)
  2. Roll all the way up against the ledge with your back facing the ledge.
  4. As the Roll Out animation ends, you can buffer a jump or an Aerial Gerudo.

Application
In this case, I am not going to write up a lengthy Application section. Right now, I don't see the point, as I believe that the video explains its application better than my writing might. As the discussion continues, I will add a write up if I see it's necessary. Feel free to suggest applications in the discussion.

Applications not shown in the video:
  • WKC -> Footstool on hanging opponents

Notes
  • When Wizard Kicking INTO the stage, the Roll Out animation will only occur when backed against "flat" ledges (i.e. Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, but not Yoshi's Island, Pictochat).
  • Depending on your spacing, WKCing or the Roll Out animation can also occur between platforms that are spaced correctly. For instance: the two lower platforms on Battle Field; the two platforms on Pokemon Stadium 1 during its neutral phase.
  • When practicing your spacing to WKC correctly, use a stage with distinctive markings on the floor. Final Destination, Battle Field, Smashville, and the WiFi practice stage when waiting for a match to start are all great practice stages. Eventually the correct spacing will be second nature.

3. "Z1gman Comboing": At Ledge, SH Tipman -> Guaranteed(?) Aerials NEW (Discussion begins on p. 8)

Related Topics/Videos
Concept and Process (developed by Z1GMA)
  1. Your opponent must be fairly close to the ledge
  2. With your back facing the opponent, SH Tipman UAir the opponent so he falls from the stage, but does not ledge grab.
  3. Do not land on the ground. Immediately after connecting with the Tipman, DI beyond the ledge, following your falling opponent.
  4. Without fast falling, input a DAir. We're not 100% sure, but it appears that after the Tipman, the opponent is in some free-fall animation for a long enough duration of time that your DAir will connect before they regain control. This obviously needs testing.
  5. As shown in the video, there are many other followups to the Tipman, but since DAir is the meat of the discovery, the rest you can figure out by watching Z1GMA's awesome video or by testing on your own.
  6. In terms of button input, I've found this to be optimal to avoid the fast fall, though Z1GMA should feel free to correct me here. Short Hop with X/Y. Tipman UAir with C-Stick up while DIing with the control stick DOWN and AWAY from the ledge at 45 degrees (similarly to how you might Thunderstorm while moving laterally). While still holding DOWN on the control stick, DAir with C-Stick down. Continuing to hold DOWN during the DAir prevents Fast Falling.
  7. While washing the blood of your dead opponent from your hands, thank Z1GMA and pray for forgiveness for the murder of thine enemies.

Application
Z1GMA's made a fantastic video outlining the basic premise of his discovery, as well as showing some cavalier variations thereof. He PMed me with the discovery this morning, and I said I'd be glad to do a write-up for him in DSL since English isn't his first language, so here you go. I'm not blind to this technique as I of course did testing as soon as he presented the concept to me, but bear in mind that any information contained herein is subject to change following more testing and upon Z1gma seeing my write-up.

For ease of writing - and in the interest of giving credit where credit's due - I suggest we refer to this concept as Z1gman Comboing (get it?). This combo relies on the suggestion that after a Tipman which pushes the opponent from the stage, it appears that the opponent enters a free-fall from which he can not escape for a certain number of frames. This is NOT confirmed, and everything contained hereafter should be taken as hypothetical (but then again, that's what DSL is all about). Obviously if this is a "true" combo, we'll call it a combo, and if it's not, we'll call it a string or something.

The most immediate application is also the most obvious. If your opponent is at the edge, RAR approach with a Tipman that passes by the ledge and DAir him. Some of the other, easily achievable strings are:
  • Tipman UAir -> UAir -> Rising UAir -> Up B Ledge Grab
  • Tipman UAir -> Footstool -> DJ Ledge Grab
The list of strings could go on forever, but I'd rather not flood this applications section with hypothetical strings before we confirm that Z1gman Comboing indeed has GUARANTEED followups.

As shown in the video at around 0:45, after a Get Up Attack from a hanging opponent, you can transition nicely into a Z1gman Combo. Z1gma also shows how you can read a Tech following a Gerudo near the ledge at around 0:50, and if your opponent ends up with proper spacing from the ledge, you can use a Z1gman Combo to chase his Tech after the Gerudo. It has yet to be seen how much flexibility there is in Z1gman Comboing as a Tech Chasing possibility, but it would seem that an quick turn Tipman would work in conjunction with Gerudos which leave Ganon facing the ledge. As a side note: bear in mind how you might use this technique in conjunction with Chainchoking.

In the interest of bringing together some of the concepts contained in DSL, one might consider how you could use Buffered Dash Canceling (see section below) in its various permutations in conjunction with Zigman Comboing. For instance, using BDCed UAirs in sequence to Tipman your opponent to the edge. I'd be getting far ahead of myself if I try to explain some of the more exciting prospects I see in how BDC and Z1gman Comboing might work in tandem, but don't worry, all the necessary information for these ideas will be posted soon. I have to work out the details of my next video which involves the Spot Dodge, first. Things will be getting really crazy thereafter. :lick: Expect a significant update to this application section if my ideas come to fruition (which they WILL, because they're just too good.)​

Notes
  • This seems to work excellently at low percentages. Tipman UAir -> DAir appears to be a guaranteed followup at 0%. We don't yet know what percentages are optimal, nor to we know how a diminished/stale UAir will effect this string/combo.
  • Z1gman = THE man

4. Ledge -> Stage Aerial Options (Discussion hasn't yet begun)

You're GROUNDed!

1. Buffered Dash Canceling (Discussion begins on p. 2)

Related Topics/Videos
Concept and Process
  1. Perform a Dash.
  2. While still holding the direction in which you Dashed, Jump.
  3. As you land, buffer another Dash in either direction.
  4. Repeat as steps 2 and 3.
  5. You can perform any ACing aerial instead of the jump. This includes (subjectively ordered in terms of relevance): Air Dodge, UAir, BAir, DAir.

Application
There are seemingly many applications for BDC. Realistically, you're not often going to go running across FD in a BDCed UAir chain like I do in the video. I'm going to try to break down how each aerial COULD be used in game. Most Brawl players are probably doing this without knowing it. That is, it's not at all difficult to cancel your dash with a jump, and people do it all the time. What's interesting to Ganon mains, however, is that due to his weight : jump height ratio, he's able to perform some pretty interesting varieties of the BDC. This is the case because Ganon's short hop sets himself up for so many ACed aerials which allow for a buffered followup upon landing. The followup, in this case, is a dash, which is immediately canceled into another aerial. Like I said, you're not going to chain aerials across the stage like I do in the video (with the possible exception of Air Dodge, which I'll get to below), but hopefully we will begin to use this technique almost automatically as a way of honing our spacing and increasing our attack range.

UAir and BAir will most likely be used similarly in conjunction with the BDC. Likely, the BDC will be used as a way of both increasing the attack range of UAir and BAir (by Dashing and DIing while in the air in the same direction) or "moonwalking" them in sequence like I do in the video around 1:00 with UAir as a retreating/edgeguarding technique (by Dashing and DIing while in the air in opposite directions). At around :43 in the video, I UAir back and forth over the same bit of ground. I dream that someday we may get a bounce lock on heavies using this tactic, but I'm not holding my breath. I perform the same maneuver with BAir at around 1:25.

DAir can be chained, but honestly, why would you? I don't really see the point in explaining the application of a DAir in conjunction with the BDC because this is basically tried and true Thunder Storming territory. The purpose of showing that DAir CAN in fact be ACed while covering the large lateral range that BDC allows is really just to point out and obviate something you were probably doing anyway. DAir is probably the least exciting of all the aerials, but I showed it just for the sake of the video.

When I first found out that Air Dodges could be chained, that's when I decided to make this concept a topic for DSL. This is, by far, the most exciting possibility of all. Simply chaining Air Dodge into Air Dodge via BDCs leaves Ganon vulnerable for seemingly few frames. I suppose there may be a couple frames of landing lag each time you touch ground and a couple frames before the next Air Dodge comes out. This lead me to begin experimenting with buffering a Shield or a Spot Dodge each time I landed rather than just immediately chaining another BDCed Air Dodge. Both methods seem to hold great promise. While I still don't believe that we'll be able to approach ad nauseum on a whim by just chaining Air Dodges via BDC, I do believe we've gained a way to cover a lot of ground, very quickly, with VERY little vulnerability.

Buffering in a Shield after landing the Air Dodge sets you up for a few things. If Ganon has any good OoS options (no seriously...does he?), then you could use a BDCed AD into a Shield as a way of safely approaching from mid to close distance. You might use a BDCed AD into a Shield as a way of quickly shield grabbing someone. I mean, Ganon's grab does come out pretty freaking fast. Perhaps we can Reverse Pivot Grab out of this as well, but I'm not sure yet...trying puts my fingers in a knot. :)

Buffering in a Spot Dodge allows for some similarly crazy stuff. As a side note towards the end of my video, I show how you can "slide" forward out of a spot dodge. I'm still contemplating making a separate topic in DSL about using the Spot Dodge's IASA frames to slide forward, and I probably still will make that topic, but for the mean time, just know that if you hold forward while spot dodging and input your attack, you will slide forward to varying degrees before the attack comes out. In the video, I slide into an FTilt because it's the easiest attack to show, but you can similarly slide your DTilt and Jab forward as well. I show a "combo" of sorts at the end of the video where I use the BDCed AD to buffered Spot Dodge as a way of approaching my opponent and then slide my FTilt into range. This is REALLY exciting to me. I mean...by Ganon's standards, he's covering a lot of distance, safely, very quickly.​

Notes
  • As shown in the video, if you Dash one direction and DI your aerial the opposite direction, you will get a nice "moonwalking" effect.

ARCHIVED DISCUSSIONS

UPDATES

• 1/22/09 - Added the "Z1gman Comboing" topic to the Ganon on the (L)edge discussion section.
  • 1/20/09 - Added the Wizard Kick Canceling 101 topic to the Ganon on the (L)edge discussion section.
  • 1/16/09 - Added the freaking awesome DAD's Smash Lab image that Z1GMA made. Visit here for more LAWLZ.
  • 1/7/09 - Added the "You're GROUNDed!" section for ground based discussions. First topic is Buffered Dash Canceling: An Introduction.
  • 1/5/09 - So it begins. DSL is now in session. First section is "Ganon on the (L)edge" for ledge based discussions. First topic is Ledge Hop -> instant Double Jump.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Sweet. :)

I use this to go behind my opponent in an unexpected way, then i use Bair / Airdodge. But... Strangely enough, i've never thought to use Dair in the process :p

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Sweet. :)

I use this to go behind my opponent in an unexpected way, then i use Bair / Airdodge. But... Strangely enough, i've never thought to use Dair in the process :p
Aye.

You can (reverse) buffer out of the DAir also. It ACs and there's a fair bit of range in which you can do the DAir and still get it to AC. I use both the Y->A DAir technique for an instant DAir as well as waiting a bit, DIing in further and using the Cstick. In other words, your opponent doesn't need to be Snake and he doesn't need to be gingerly pushed into place like I did in the video. Pretty cool.

I think there's a lot of potential in FF UAir tipman also.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Interesting indeed. Wow just want I wanted to start with my year with, a new ledge tech.
I'll give this a try Thank You!!!

deadpoe7

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this will do wonders for my ledge game. G-dorf really is the most dangerous person to ever hang from a ledge. Much love, but no homo, DAD.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I've never really thought about how effective this actually is, until now!
I hope to see more variations of it in a close future : )

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I've been hoping for something like this to show up. Can't believe I didn't figure it out myself though.

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
OH MAN! Ive wanted a better option to approach onto the stage from the ledge for a long time, THANKS HYPER!

•Col•

Smash Champion
Uh... Ledgehopping, then using a second jump since Ganondorf's ledgehop isn't that good? >.> Is this really that big? o.o

Anyway... This seems kind of risky... ^_^;; Since this takes a bit of time... And if Ganondorf gets hit away after using his second jump... Plus his less-than-stellar recovery.... This could result in death... D:

Player-3

Smash Hero
Uh... Ledgehopping, then using a second jump since Ganondorf's ledgehop isn't that good? >.> Is this really that big? o.o

Anyway... This seems kind of risky... ^_^;; Since this takes a bit of time... And if Ganondorf gets hit away after using his second jump... Plus his less-than-stellar recovery.... This could result in death... D:
watch the video...
you dont waste your second jump, you can jump again

VERY useful

thanks !

•Col•

Smash Champion
watch the video...
you dont waste your second jump, you can jump again

VERY useful

thanks !
Uh... I did watch the video... And he is using his second jump... o-o Hence the video title "Ledge Hop to instant Double Jump"... Meaning if he gets hit away while trying to Double Jump and use an aerial, all he'll have to recover is his Side B or Up B...

After watching the video again though, I noticed that he can use his double jump instantly out of a ledgehop... Which I failed to see the first time. xD I interpreted it as a ledgedropped, then midair jump kind of thing, which it's not.

However, like I said, it can still be risky since you lose your midair jump after doing it... o-o

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Interesting indeed. Wow just want I wanted to start with my year with, a new ledge tech.
I'll give this a try Thank You!!!
Wow, this will do wonders for my ledge game. G-dorf really is the most dangerous person to ever hang from a ledge. Much love, but no homo, DAD.
I've never really thought about how effective this actually is, until now!
I hope to see more variations of it in a close future : )
OH MAN! Ive wanted a better option to approach onto the stage from the ledge for a long time, THANKS HYPER!
It's about time you got this going DAD. I've been waiting for this.
Thanks, everybody. Much <3 all around to my boyz. NO HOMO.

To Zeon: to quote a very talented Al Pacino in "The Scent of a Woman": Son, I'm just gettin' staaaaarted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAxnB6Ap4o&feature=related There's more where this came from, homie.

I'm working my Ganon to a point where Kalm will be forced to name me the undisputed ledge champ on the Ganon Tier List. I do sh*t on the ledge most of you only dream of. :lick: But seriously...I WCK -> speed hug the ledge SOOOOOO much just to set myself up for the plethora of kill options I've been working on. Learn it and love it.

You're obviously confusing the idea of a ledge DROP and a ledge HOP. drop = control stick back or down. hop = control stick up or Y/X.

What you say regarding it being risky is, of course, correct. Being interrupted after the second jump could cause for some nasty recovery problems. I'll address this first in terms of practicality: You have to use this technique in an intelligent way. If you misspace or don't AC a DAir, it may result in death, but that does not make DAir a bad move. As we experiment with it more, we'll learn the correct spacing/DI for specific instances of it's usage. For instance, if you have a recovering opponent coming back to the ledge, you might DI away for a quick UAir->UAir->Up+B ledge grab chain. If they're on the stage, you might DI in in order to hit the DAir -> followup as I do in the video or an air dogde/Bair/w/e->buffered followup. I'm just spouting examples. Like I said of the video: it's meant to be a guide of technique, not of practice. Keep that in mind.

It should also be noted: at >100%, the ledge hop is SLOWER and DELAYED. That is, you're going to have different timing at >100% and <100%. If you're doing this at >100%, not only will you deal with delay, but like you say, you run the risk of putting yourself in a hard recovery situation, what with the stronger knock back and all.

Uh... I did watch the video... And he is using his second jump... o-o Hence the video title "Ledge Hop to instant Double Jump"... Meaning if he gets hit away while trying to Double Jump and use an aerial, all he'll have to recover is his Side B or Up B...

After watching the video again though, I noticed that he can use his double jump instantly out of a ledge drop... Which I failed to see the first time. xD I interpreted it as a ledgedropped, then midair jump kind of thing, which it's not.

However, like I said, it can still be risky since you lose your midair jump after doing it... o-o
It's not a ledge drop in any capacity. It's a LEDGE HOP followed by an iDJ.

May this by any chance cancel Ganon's RCO lag?
unfortunately, I don't think so. I should say that this does allow for a lot of options to use the side+B lag reduction trick that Mmac or whomever tipped us off to awhile ago.

To EVERYONE: I hope to exhaust this technique a little better when I update the OP. All of the questions/ideas you've posted so far I've already thought about and have formed my opinions/answers about. Hopefully we'll clear a bunch of this up soon. In the mean time, keep slopping on the ideas/questions so we might unpack all we can from this technique.

Eiron

Smash Rookie
This could be an easy set up for the bounce combo on heavies as well, yes?

hyperstation

Smash Lord
This could be an easy set up for the bounce combo on heavies as well, yes?
Yep. The problem is that the Bounce Combo can be teched or avoided pretty easily, I believe.

I used this today on wifi for a FF tipman to push the opponent onto the ledge then ledge spiked them. nice.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Updated OP. DAD's SMASH LAB (DSL) is now in session. A much more organized and in depth discussion of Ledge Hop -> iDJ is the first thing I added. It should help clear up a lot of the initial questions people were having as well as hopefully facilitating a discussion of more options for this tech.

Here's hoping that this accomplishes some of what I hope it may. Expect more new year's goodies soon (WITH VIDEO!!!)

<3 DAD

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Beautiful work DAD, this should really help us older Ganon mains (as well as newer ones) to use Ganon at his full potential.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Beautiful work DAD, this should really help us older Ganon mains (as well as newer ones) to use Ganon at his full potential.
Thanks, Kalm.

I need to get online with you later today sometime to show you something new I'm working on. I dare say I may have found a method of approach and advanced spacing. I want to bounce this idea off your before I post it here, because if it's as new and (potentially) good as I think it may be, then I'm going to leapfrog the ledge discussion with this new thing. Ledge discussion would continue thereafter, of course.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Thanks, Kalm.

I need to get online with you later today sometime to show you something new I'm working on. I dare say I may have found a method of approach and advanced spacing. I want to bounce this idea off your before I post it here, because if it's as new and (potentially) good as I think it may be, then I'm going to leapfrog the ledge discussion with this new thing. Ledge discussion would continue thereafter, of course.

I WANT TO KNOW!!!!

I suppose i can wait :) hopefully it turns out to be useful!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
About the Whiskey cancel (wizkick cancel)
I dunno if you guys allready have tried this...

If your opponent stands right next to the ledge with 0% damage and you hit him with whiskey cancel; an instant ganonside of out it is almost inescapable... at least the window for escaping is very small.

It MAY be a garanteed on some chars!

But I'm pretty sure most of you already knew.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d58R0UiQAdE&feature=channel_page

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I knew about Zigma, actually it works up to a few characters up to 12 percent and they don't have to be right on the edge but getting the cancel sometimes messes up for me so...

But I found that if my opponent, been facing my friend's Marth, not Atlas, and the iDJ from the edge can catch him if he predicts a ledge hop. What I mean is you can bait the opponent into a ledge hop where they would jump to intercept with Fair or a Dair, I hate Marth, and Ganon switches it up with a iDJ to Nair. Nice little two hits for decent damage, IMHO.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I knew about Zigma, actually it works up to a few characters up to 12 percent and they don't have to be right on the edge but getting the cancel sometimes messes up for me so...

But I found that if my opponent, been facing my friend's Marth, not Atlas, and the iDJ from the edge can catch him if he predicts a ledge hop. What I mean is you can bait the opponent into a ledge hop where they would jump to intercept with Fair or a Dair, I hate Marth, and Ganon switches it up with a iDJ to Nair. Nice little two hits for decent damage, IMHO.
Indeed. I thought I saw you use an iDJ -> DAir in one of your videos, but it was rather inconclusive, so I didn't comment on it.

What you say about the iDJ -> NAir is what I was hoping to accomplish when I mentioned "planking". That is, can we force someone to approach us on the ledge? If so, I'd say we might be at the advantage because Ganon has so many kill options in addition to stage scarring with UAir and Up B, a nice get up attack (<100%), and of course, Ganonciding.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
is there a way to turn around when we come back to the stage?
tipmaning someone onto a platform like on BF would be wonderful for us

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
<3 DAD, I want to service you in a totally hetero way.

This is great stuff though, I've always tried to use this in my game a bit more but I always forget; use it to throw out better spaced spikes and bairs. But I have messed around with the jump canceled ledge hop>d-air a bit. It's hard to get the right height but it's definitely useful.

Is JC ledge hop n-air a decent height for putting up sort of a wall, shield pressure, etc? I noticed you regrabbed without upB so I'm pretty interested if it would be a useful tactic.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
<3 DAD, I want to service you in a totally hetero way.

This is great stuff though, I've always tried to use this in my game a bit more but I always forget; use it to throw out better spaced spikes and bairs. But I have messed around with the jump canceled ledge hop>d-air a bit. It's hard to get the right height but it's definitely useful.

Is JC ledge hop n-air a decent height for putting up sort of a wall, shield pressure, etc? I noticed you regrabbed without upB so I'm pretty interested if it would be a useful tactic.
(Note that this is still all theoretical, not tested in practice)

Both hits of the NAir wall come out above the head of even the tallest opponents, I believe. It would have it's use against opponents who think you're going for a Ledge Hop -> Stage Aerial and jump accordingly to meet you in the air. Also, yes, in general, Ganon regrabs automatically, however, if you do a Ledge Hop -> iDJ NAir as low to the ledge as possible (with just 2 rings under ganon's feet during the second jump, no smoke) he will not regrab unless you sideB or upB. You'll see one case of this in the video where I NAir and miss the ledge and have to upB to recover to the ledge. It should also be noted that aerials that stay out longer than NAir and thusly would miss the regrab can sort of be interrupted with a sideB really close to the ledge for an instant regrab. This is pretty dope, IMO.

Maybe the NAir wall would connect on stages with slanted ledges (Yoshi, Pictochat) where the opponent is elevated slightly from the height of the ledge itself, thus appearing taller. This seem possible.

Perhaps we can do a FF NAir Wall and use sideB to do the instant regrab. I haven't tested this, but if the FF makes the NAir connect with opponents, we're on our way to making our opponents walk the plank.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Okay I've watched the buffered dash canceling and I think that'll take me a week to get down. :(
But it looks amazing. Retreating Bairs and spacing reversed Uairs will be amazing and work wonders for my game.

I just don't get the slide with the spot dodge to F-tilt. Are you, spot dodge -> BDC -> f-tilt?

I just need to get the movements memorized before I can try it with my fingers

hyperstation

Smash Lord
UPDATED OP!!!

Dr Hyde got a preview because I uploaded the new video before I updated the OP. My write up in the OP should help you a lot.

I apologize, because I first encountered and was sitting on the basic idea contained in the video for literally months. I didn't realize its potential until just recently when I revisited the concept in more depth.

This new video has a TON of stuff in it. I mean, it's gonna take a while to digest it all, as Hyde has already said. I'm going to probably have to take a moment and write out how I input all this stuff. You should hear my freaking controller when I'm chaining together moves...it cries out in pain as I pulverize it.

Here's a starter course. ALL the aerials are performed with the c stick. ALL DI is performed with the control stick. ALL Air Dodges are performed with the R trigger (it's a lot easier than Z, IMO).

Good luck, and let me know what you figure out. I think there's a lot to be learned here, so...ALL HANDS ON DECK!

<3 DAD

Gleam

Smash Ace
Just checked out the BDC...and I must say it's awesome. Pure genius and pure awesome. I need to start working on this immediately.

Your the best DAD. What would we do without you.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
God I love you DAD.

I'm also liking the tipman wall with BDC. Extends the hitbox by moving into them but you can still keep it in the same place.

This is a completely off topic, considering this thread is a bit more tech heavy, but everyone honestly needs to start messing around with f-air more. Highly underrated....seriously. Huge range, more than most of marth's moves (at least aerials,) great priority, huge sheild push back that makes you moderately safe, good for walk off edgeguards, air dodge punishment, edge pressure... I've been out ranging a lot of people with it, and keeping them just out of punishment range.

Lol, anyways, keep up the amazing work DAD, if there's anything I can do let me know, I'll be sure to add this in the guide.

Phazon Warrior

Smash Cadet
Those are some very nice techniques you are working on. Let's hope Ganondorf's gameplay can evolve.

Eiron

Smash Rookie
DAD, you are the best. This is like reading Swoop's buffering guide all over again.:bee:

hyperstation

Smash Lord
A nostalgic idea I had while FFAing with my buddies tonight. Do you guys remember how PC Chris would short hop with his back to the ledge during Melee just waiting for the right moment to to break out a SH BAir wall against recovering opponents? I really like the sounds of a "moonwalked" (wrong term, I know) SH BAir wall along the ledge...it sounds down-right terrifying. I'm really hoping that BDCing can bring Ganon's BAir up to something close to its former Melee glory. Geez, wouldn't that be nice.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
o.O Melee b-air craziness? Dear god we would be unstoppable.

I've started checking into OoS n-air again. Retreating OoS with it seems pretty solid as you can gain quite a bit of distance back while covering your ground with a lasting hitbox. Dunno, since I picked up a bit of Fox I feel a bit bad that Ganon doesn't have an insane OoS game like Fox :(.

Oh and DAD, added summa yo great contributions to the guide.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
o.O Melee b-air craziness? Dear god we would be unstoppable.

I've started checking into OoS n-air again. Retreating OoS with it seems pretty solid as you can gain quite a bit of distance back while covering your ground with a lasting hitbox. Dunno, since I picked up a bit of Fox I feel a bit bad that Ganon doesn't have an insane OoS game like Fox :(.

Oh and DAD, added summa yo great contributions to the guide.
I agree...OoS is this part of Ganon's game about which I am really at a lack. Gleam and TP are working on some nasty chain choking sh*t, I'm working on Ledge and Ground ATs, but no one is on top of OoS. This is part and parcel to the discussion open in DSL so far, but I mean...does anyone have any ideas they've been keeping from us? Ganon's only reliable OoS option is in his deceptively quick grab (just ask Salty Kracka), and perhaps we'll better that option as RPGing and stutter grabbing come into their own, but let's be honest...shield grabbing is hardly something to write home about. Is UpB a lost cause? maybe there's something in the Spot Dodge slide I have in the video that we could use? I'm grabbing at straws here, but if anyone has some fresh ideas, I think we'd all appreciate it.

Also, Swoops, I saw the update and I'm humbled. It's good that we're getting some nice cross referencing in the major guides on the Ganon boards. There's a LOT of information out there, and too many threads are beginning to get lost in the clutter. I'm all for redundancy of information as long as the information is GOOD. <3NOHOMO

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I agree...OoS is this part of Ganon's game about which I am really at a lack. Gleam and TP are working on some nasty chain choking sh*t, I'm working on Ledge and Ground ATs, but no one is on top of OoS. This is part and parcel to the discussion open in DSL so far, but I mean...does anyone have any ideas they've been keeping from us? Ganon's only reliable OoS option is in his deceptively quick grab (just ask Salty Kracka), and perhaps we'll better that option as RPGing and stutter grabbing come into their own, but let's be honest...shield grabbing is hardly something to write home about. Is UpB a lost cause? maybe there's something in the Spot Dodge slide I have in the video that we could use? I'm grabbing at straws here, but if anyone has some fresh ideas, I think we'd all appreciate it.

Also, Swoops, I saw the update and I'm humbled. It's good that we're getting some nice cross referencing in the major guides on the Ganon boards. There's a LOT of information out there, and too many threads are beginning to get lost in the clutter. I'm all for redundancy of information as long as the information is GOOD. <3NOHOMO
I'll probably try to work out some OoS stuff and see what I can find. UpB=always horrible. Seriously, it just doesn't make sense to use it. Especially when people can actually get free attacks right after they get out of it, and there's always the landing lag. As far as I'm concerned, my UpB is always being strictly used for recovering and snake.

I mean all of the OoS options ganon has are just a tad too slow for a lot of stuff. Shield drop frames wold be nice to have though if anyone could provide them.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
About the Whiskey cancel (wizkick cancel)
I dunno if you guys allready have tried this...

If your opponent stands right next to the ledge with 0% damage and you hit him with whiskey cancel; an instant ganonside of out it is almost inescapable... at least the window for escaping is very small.

It MAY be a garanteed on some chars!

But I'm pretty sure most of you already knew.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d58R0UiQAdE&feature=channel_page
I found a slight variation on this move, everyone knows how to perform a Wizkick cancel for the FoG right? Well, if you do Wizkick Cancel from a ledge and connect with the second half of the kick AKA the weak part it comboes straight into a near guaranteed aerial Flame Choke. This is mainly because there is no extra jump frames due to the fact the game already considers you in the air.

@DAD
Also about the IASA dodge buffering to extend Ganon's hitbox, isn't that essentially the same thing as the Angelic step Pit players have? Ganon was able to use it as well and it was sorta briefly covered in a older guide here.

But I'm wondering if you did a reverse dodge buffer would it even double the space Ganon can cover with the buffered FTilt? I seem to recall remembering something about how you can actually extend the distance covered by that move.

On OOS options for Ganon I've pretty much decided that they just don't exist beyond a buffered dodge DTilt or a perfect shielded DI'd NAir.

:034:

Smash Hero
I've been into OoS for a while, there are some things that can be done. You have your usual shieldgrab, but you can also (much more useful) drop your shield and quickly reverse pivot grab... Your opponent can space himself, but if he has lag, you can nail him with this.

Two TAP JUMP options OoS are of course, the up B and the Quake. Never use the Quake, I find it not useful at all. Your opponent will have to be severely miss-spaced if you want to him with it. Up B OoS is somewhat notable, due to having Grab Armor. Meaning, lagless attacks could be punished - any follow-up could be grabbed (you would still take damage) and your opponent will get a load of damages AND not get their second jump back. This is useful for some characters with bad recoveries and if you're by the edge. The low hitstun on this can get you another hit in the face. Overall not something I would turn Tap Jump off for.

The 'slide' with the sidestep is the "Demonic Step", discovered by UndrDog and brought to our section. I tested it and made a part about it in my old testing thread:

Flying Dutchman said:
Demonic Step

Here's something that's a bit more difficult to pull off: but VERY noticeable. The Demonic Step was discovered by UndrDog and it's a slide out of your sidestep. A very good one, I might add.

Video with Ganondorf doing the Demonic Step: Here.
Instructions (with Pit, but they're the same): Here.

Now, I've managed to get the slide to go a bit further than what UndrDog shows us, and it's very useful. Once you have the timing down, it's very easy to do. Quick step by step guide:

1. Sidestep.
2. Be sure to let go of the shield button.
3. Hold back during the duration of the sidestep.
4. Press forward when it ends.
5. Enjoy your Demonic Step.

The longer you manage to hold back, the longer your slide will be. If you see the turn-around: congratulations, you did it right. You can do anything out of this. Yes, anything. I don't know the absolute best uses for this right now, but you can easily go into jab or ftilt. See if you can combine it with a stutter stepped fsmash?

Testing to do:
- How this works with Murder Choke.
- How this works with Stutter Stepping.
- How far can you really go with this?

Methinks that this could very well be essential to Ganondorf's gameplay, seeing as how he hardly has any spacing techniques and anything that helps his range is good.
It's not as useful as previously thought, since the slide doesn't go far, it looks silly and it's quicker to buffer something like a dash attack out of your sidestep. If you want to be a really technical Ganondorf or save your DA, well... I ain't stopping you to use this.

Coincidentally, I've always wanted to do a stutter step fsmash out of it, post a video and call it "Demonic Smash".

Out of shield you can also do a run of aerials. If you don't have tap jump, this can be used simply by the usual auto-cancel method. It can be a tad on the slow side... It's faster to shield drop and attack.

One more thing that is very useful but that I haven't exactly been paying much attention to is Upsmash Out of Shield. The 'technique' from Melee still exists, but it isn't exactly wide-spread for Brawl. To perform it, simply do an upsmash... If you have tap jump on. Without tap jump, you can simply use the jump button... I'll explain:

1. Hold your thumb over Y and A.
2. Hold up on your control stick.
3. Roll thumb from Y to A.
4. UPSMASH!

It's basically the same motion as the Thunderstorm, just with up. I honestly don't know why I haven't been paying attention to this... It's very useful, if you can find the situation for it.

Hope this helps a little. I haven't been contributing a whole lot lately, have I?

EDIT: Oh, here's the link to my old thread. Maybe you can find some stuff in it?: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181639

EDIEDIT: BDC looks like a waveland.. It can be pretty useful, more so in teams, though when you're dealing with multiple opponents..

Top Bottom