• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching from Youtube

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Youtube has been, for some reason, destroying/removing Smash combo videos. Mine was removed sometime last week (around 10,000 views) and I've heard of many other people having the same problems.

So, what can we do to stop youtube from removing our videos without warning and for suspicious reasons? It is simple, MLG was kind enough to create a youtube equivilent, the MLG Gameroom.

So, from this point forward I'll be uploading any combo videos that contain music to the gameroom because I don't want to see another one of my videos get taken down.

http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/

I wouldn't be suprised if DBR's stuff gets targeted, among other things.

---

uploaded some videos to the gameroom, check it out:

Clowsui's New Year's Bash Winner's Finals
Game 1: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Quivo (Toon Link): Battlefield
Game 2: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo (Toon Link): Final Destination
Game 3: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Quivo (Toon Link): Final Destination

Some things I've noticed: it is slower to upload videos to the gameroom but faster to process them once they are uploaded. In comparison with youtube I would say MLG's gameroom takes about 10-15% longer (upload + processing).

The videos look better in the gameroom then on youtube. Not sure why, they probably use different compression/don't compress to the same size as youtube (the video's are larger in the gameroom).

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Youtube removes ton's of unnessacary stuff.
From music videos, to anime, to game footage to everything.
Their panties are in a knot from fear of being sued.

Alot of great combo videos were removed from youtube, never to be seen again.
Hopefully this will help a lot of people.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Youtube removes ton's of unnessacary stuff.
From music videos, to anime, to game footage to everything.
Their panties are in a knot from fear of being sued.

Alot of great combo videos were removed from youtube, never to be seen again.
Hopefully this will help a lot of people.
This. So much, :(

Sticky?

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
So then we should start putting videos there instead of Youtube, and maybe put a preview on Youtube to tell the people who are subscribe to our accounts, know where to find them, would that be fine or no. Also, we need to start a new account there(If we don't have one) to upload videos right.

Barge

People should create accounts on there anyways. Even if they aren't going to upload videos. Just to support it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I posted this elsewhere on the issue:
Yah, I had this problem with a Brawl combo vid trailer I kept trying to upload to youtube a while ago. I used a full clip from family guy (the peanut butter jelly time one) at the start of it, and it wouldn't let me upload it because of a copyright infringement on Fox. So I had to upload it to tinypic.org (or .com, can't remember the URL) and stream it from there.

What youtube does, is it has some kind of software which analyses both the video and audio of your video and if it matches a copyrighted material, it auto-removes it. It's not like somebody is going around and removing video's themselves, nor do I think anybody is flagging these videos for music copyright. Especially since Brawl combo videos aren't immune to this problem it seems (AlphaZealot's CV was taken down, as was a number of others aparently)

I've watched episodes of the Donkey Kong cgi cartoon where people have edited a massive green bar in to take up half the screen and altered the audio quality somewhat just to make it work.

It sucks, but, that's how it is. That list of artists may be a good idea. There's also google video to consider as well I guess.

((Fortunately my BARWL combo video only contains music that is either Japanese or Free))
People should upload to both, to be on the safe side from now on.

AZ, maybe you and JV should consider adding this kind of video hosting functionality to smashboards?

Even if smashboards isn't the host, but some kind of service that links to the MLG service like AIB does?

Either way, I'm pretty sure sets of matches are safe at least.
It's just videos with music that we have to worry about.

-Ran

Smash Master
Well, as a whole, we should probably just dump Youtube, and go to MLG's stuff. Might as well make them notice our competitive scene more so we can get something decent from them in the future tournament wise.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon Nasty.
</3

Youtube is ********. When they used to claim stuff they're music crap on my videos, they'd just put some stupid advertisement above the video description and call it a day.

They recently removed like three of my videos. But whatever.
This should be better anyway.

Any word on the quality comparison? <_<

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Toon Nasty.
</3

Youtube is ********. When they used to claim stuff they're music crap on my videos, they'd just put some stupid advertisement above the video description and call it a day.

They recently removed like three of my videos. But whatever.
This should be better anyway.

Any word on the quality comparison? <_<
How do you notice if they remove your videos? Cause none of mine have gotten notices but I had RHCP and other Warner Music.......

Barge

Youtubes quality is crap. Anything is better than it.

@illiniaex
You go to your "My videos"
if its been removed there will be a load of stuff listed in it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
How do you notice if they remove your videos? Cause none of mine have gotten notices but I had RHCP and other Warner Music.......
Put your mouse over your username at the top right of the screen then go to:
My Videos
Video ID matches

Then check the status.

"Rejected (blocked by content owner)" means its gone.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Put your mouse over your username at the top right of the screen then go to:
My Videos
Video ID matches

Then check the status.

"Rejected (blocked by content owner)" means its gone.
Yeah its good because all my old RHCP stuff is fine because I uploaded it before it got a video ID match. Same with my Linkin Park stuff. So I think I might be good :)

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Just watched the vids, AZ. I really like the site, the vid quality is much better than Youtube. But am I the only one getting mono audio? What's up with that?

I freaking love watching good Diddy's play. It has all the benefits, action, and intensity of items play without any of the downsides. Good ****. Quivo's a solid TL, too.

EDIT: I'm also finding it difficult to rewind, for some reason. Shenanigans. Or fast forward accurately, for that matter.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Youtube will always be the golden standard, due to it's high traffic and accessibility. If you don't want stuff getting taken down, don't put restricted songs on there.

However, I will definitely check out that site you posted.

Barge

Youtube will always be the golden standard, due to it's high traffic and accessibility. If you don't want stuff getting taken down, don't put restricted songs on there.

However, I will definitely check out that site you posted.
Where exactly does youtube list the restricted songs and content?

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
**** Company copyrights!

They take there things seriously. Don't they know were not doing anything to them. What are they. Over protective. I made a Reptile tribute on youtube and those ******** removed it. **** Copyright.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Hmm yes youtube sucks this is true. But I wouldn't say MLG Gameroom is the best equivalent. I like vimeo.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Where exactly does youtube list the restricted songs and content?
Using Some Copyrighted Content in Your Videos
"To determine whether a particular use of a short clip of a copyrighted video or song qualifies as a "fair use," you need to analyze and weigh four factors that are outlined in the U.S. copyright statute. Unfortunately, the weighing of these four factors is often quite subjective and complex. For this reason, it's often difficult to determine whether a particular use is a "fair use." If the copyright owner disagrees with your interpretation of fair use, the copyright owner may chose to resolve the dispute in court. If the court agrees with the copyright owner, then you are infringing the copyrights of the owner and you may be liable for monetary damages."-From the Youtube Copyright tips page.
HTML:
http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

Meese

Smash Cadet
I support ur move for many of the reasons above.
Nice quality on the new site.
That TL was crazy, nice run at the end i thought u mightve had him.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol, lucky for me i never use music with lyrics :)

However there was a video i made a long time ago using a song from All American Rejects (yes i know, emo band, forgive me!). does anyone know if my vid is at risk of getting taken down? just incase i have to download, edit and upload it again. It was hit with an infringement about a year ago but it was allowed to stay online, this was before things got stricter

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I've been experiencing alot of harrassment by Youtube lately so I can assume they've apparently buffed up their review team of what they deem to be appropriate non-copyrighted content. Lots of people are recieving warning or having videos flat out removed based on copyright claim by third parties of a bit of music that is in their video. It feels like some ******** effort to turn the entire site into Video blogs to me.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
To say that Youtube has poor video quality is a bit outdated now. However copyrights and such I can understand. Thanks for the info

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
To say that Youtube has poor video quality is a bit outdated now. However copyrights and such I can understand. Thanks for the info

I have to agree. I recently was able to upload in Wide Screen HuffYUV Uncompressed AVI, just short of a gig in size. Holy ****. I came.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
People should just use Veoh instead

Uploads about 5x faster and has some beautiful quality <3
Veoh is nice in quality sure but they are similarly strict on copyright unfortunately. You're just as likely to get your video taken down as you are on Youtube, so you're not really solving the issue by making the switch.

I stand by Vimeo. It's the best site I can find that is completely unmonitored as far as copyright goes.

Top Bottom