• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokedex Entry #025: Pikachu

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
When several of these POKEMON gather, their electricity could build and cause lightning storms. It keeps it's tail raised to monitor it's surroundings. If you yank its tail, it will try to bite you. Lives in forests away from people. It stores electricity in its cheeks for zapping an enemy if it is attacked. This intelligent POKEMON roasts hard BERRIES with electricity to make them tender enough to eat. It raises its tail to check its surroundings. The tail is sometimes struck by lightning in this pose. When it is angered, it immediately discharges the energy stored in the pouches in its cheeks.

hmmm...i'll just take the easy route.

*master ball*

gg pikachu now you are on MY team

heh

hehe

hehehehe

mwaha

mwahahahahahahaha

NOW YOU'LL SUFFER FATIGUE AND FORCED SWITCHES LIKE THE REST OF THEM

pokemon trainer 100/0 pikachu just throw a master ball

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Master Ball ftw!
But seriously.

Squirtle: Don't Use him. Pikachu can match his grouind speed and almost keeps up in the air. Their ranges are close, but Pikachu has two excellent projectiles. Thunder Jolt goes over and around obstacles and is a great edgeguard. And don't even get me started about how **** Thunder is on Battlefield.

Ivysaur: Ok, here the field is more level. Pikachu is quicker, but Razor Leaf is a great projectile to counter a Thunder Jolt spam. Get close and jab. Poison Bulb Trio is ****, but so are any of Ivy's smash attacks. Pikachu is light, so use that to your advantage. Bullet Seed punish if he goes for the all-out physical attack.

Charizard: Now we're talking! Flamethrower cancels out projectiles and you outrange him everywhere. Use jab and Rock Smash in close. Use Flamethrower at medium range. Space yourself well and Pikachu will have a tough fight.

All three: DON'T GET ABOVE HIM!!!! You know how awesome Ivy is beneath someone? Pikachu is just like that. if you are on a stage with platforms, like Battlefield, do not, DO NOT let him be underneath you if you're on a platform. Like I said, Thunder is ****.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
How to become pro: hydroplane under a thunder jolt and hit Pikachu for the ko (preferably in a tournament match).

I did it against a lvl 9 awhile ago (obviously it was a fluke) but it was so awesome :D

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
Go master ball and I think that PT is at a disadvantage because 1 electric> water and 2 Electric> flying!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i think pt has a slight disadvantage.

squirtle slight disadvantage because of the disjointed hitboxes and projectiles

ivy may be even

charizard is probably slight disadvantage

all three could easily be slight disadvantage, but idk. zard can wreck up close.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually i kind of want to put this on hold and discuss diddy instead.

**** diddy.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
..... are we gona be sure that this wont be another short thread. They could just come here and say, PT sucks, Pikachu owns *points around randomly* here here here here here here AND here. Then we will have little to put up and then will will call it a day with a 10:90 match up. Even though SUPER EFFECTIVEness doesnt apply to PT from other pokemon like Pika, the match up still sounds liek it applies to it.

IMO Ivy and Charz are your best to go with, if you use squirt, just just him to weaken pika then switch.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
excellent post by demonfart.

bomber that's every matchup discussion.

i'm going to go ahead and open diddy and put this on hold for now. diddy's a lot more important.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I honestly don't know this match, too much. It might be a minor neutral to a disadvantage, maybe.

P.S. I know this won't mean too much, but you can DI out of Pikachu's Dsmash by DI'ing upwards, lol.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I dont have too much experience against pikachus, but i use pikachu since 64 and i know him pretty well

DONT GET ABOVE PIKACHU!!!!!!!
You will get thundered

Pikachu can keep up easily with squirtles speed and air game, and can juggle ivy and zard pretty well, has ok KO options (not stellar, just ok)... this is a hard fight for PT

btw... you get out of pikas Dsmash by SDI'ing up and away, dont DI upwards, that can kill you, or make you an easy target for thunder

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
IDK why but every PT I've ever battled with Pikachu had a rough time with me.

Squritle:

Pikachu has the advantage since Pikachu has high priority moves with similar speeds. However, Squirtle can do some damage in the air if he manages to get Pika up there. Squirtle does have more aerial mobility than Pikachu. However Pikachu still has more priority. Also Pikachu has tjolt, but Squirtle can get past it fairly well.

I feel as if Pikachu's advantage was planned since electric > water. I'm still sad electric attacks don't get a 1.5 times knockback :( (Pikachu would **** both Squirtle and Charizard then LOL)

60-40 Pikachu (maybe 65-35)

Ivysaur:

Ivysaur has some disjointed range, which is Pikachu's weakness. That gives him some ability to fight back against Pikachu. Razor leaf is not better than tjolt, and Ivysaur can't maneuver as good as Pikachu giving Pikachu the win in camping.

55-45 Pikachu

Charizard:

The heavy hitter of the three. Charizard is pretty lethal and probably has the best chance of killing Pikachu. Charizard will have to rely on his tilts and aerials to damage Pikachu. His smashes will leave him open for punishment from Pikachu easily. Since Zard's dtilt kills pretty well, it shouldn't be too hard to land a kill. I believe Zard's fsmash can punish a spammed thunder.

Pikachu can combo Zard pretty well and forces Zard to recover low cause of thunder. Flamethower may cancel tjolt, but Pikachu can QAC around it to punish you. If you mean Pikachu is approaching with tjolt, then by all means flamethrower. But if Pikachu is out of range of flamethrower, you're leaving yourself open.

55-45 Pikachu

overall:

I'd say start Ivy damage Pikachu up, switch to zard for the kill. Either stay Zard if the % is below 70% or go Squirtle if your higher so when you die you come back as Ivy and repeat the process. But in case Ivy dies first, you'll have to hope your zard is amazing or you can use Squirtle if your skill with him is good.

55-60/45-40 Pikachu's favor.

Really numbers mean nothing for PT. PT's main mind game is how often you switch. The more you switch the better you need to be at adjusting to new playstyles. And being able to shift playstyles quickly between different characters is a skill itself.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
^ agree with this guy (recommend 45:55 Pika, as it is possible to play with only two Pokemon, so PT's score is the average of the best two [Most often])

DemonFart

Smash Lord
excellent post by demonfart.

bomber that's every matchup discussion.

i'm going to go ahead and open diddy and put this on hold for now. diddy's a lot more important.
lol i got a 2 point infraction for spamming by retrogaming though. i am glad to see somebody sees it as useful. Heh it was worth it.:laugh: ahh what a laugh!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Really numbers mean nothing for PT. PT's main mind game is how often you switch. The more you switch the better you need to be at adjusting to new playstyles. And being able to shift playstyles quickly between different characters is a skill itself.
amazing. you understand.

also your numbers are in the right ballpark.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
amazing. you understand.

also your numbers are in the right ballpark.
Numbers just show 1vs1 outcomes. You really can't factor in switching numbers cause the variables are too complex. Which is why PT appears low tier on paper. Just the switching mind game doesn't help as much when 2 or 3 of the pokemon do horrible against someone, which a lot of the higher characters seem to do so far.

:dizzy: I feel able to understand characters better when I start discussing my 2ndaries instead of my main since I stop being so bias :laugh:

Electric-Sachiel

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2337-4294-5850
Instead of repeating what Ussi has previously said, I think I’ll just add my own two cents on this challenging match-up. As a brawl player that mains both Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer, I can tell everyone here that Pikachu has the advantage right from the start.

Pikachu has more priority with his move set than almost any of the pokemon that PT wields. He also has QAC to turn the match in his favor allowing for combos that can potentially confuse and in turn devastate any PT player. Pikachu’s electric attacks like fair and dsmash all hold the opponent in place perfect for following up with combos.

I find that when using Pikachu, any move you use with him can be easily followed up by another. PT doesn’t seem to have as much of an ability to follow up after initiating a move. Really, PT possesses moves that just hit your opponent once but don’t stun them long enough to follow up with another move. I think that is one of PT’s greatest weaknesses. Therefore you don’t’ see many combo strategies out there with PT. At least not as much as Pikachu.

Furthermore I find that Pikachu is faster, powerful and out prioritizes every pokemon that PT controls. Squirtle while fast and maneuverable lacks the power and endurance to get a kill on Pika. He also isn’t as fast as a QACing Pikachu and is pretty much toast when he gets zapped by Pika’s electric attacks.

Ivysaur fairs a bit better with his ranged projectiles thanks to razor leaf. Bullet seed works if you can land a hit on a quick Pikachu. Even so, I feel Ivy’s disjointed moveset doesn’t flow well enough to pressure Pikachu into submission. And Ivy is vulnerable once up in the air and/or off the stage.

Charizard has the advantage of having more powerful attacks to counter Pikachu’s own power. Just as Ussi has mentioned he has the potential to kill Pikachu easily with things like Rock Smash and flamethrower. However approaching is risky having to avoid Pikachu’s tjolts. And even one your in range Pika can easily use his more prioritized grabs, fair and even dsmash to kill Charizard.

Charizard also has the disadvantage of being large and relatively slower.

All in all in my experience playing Pikachus with PT, I think Pikachu definitely has the advantage in almost every situation. Pikachu may be light weight and all but I think he’s a way more balanced than PT can ever be. That’s probably why I’ve won more matches with Pikachu than I have with PT. Even though I use PT way more often than I do Pikachu these days.

P.S.
For the record i have been using PT since day 1 when Brawl was released. Though since i've always mained Pika in the past since the days of 64 i somehow manage to do better with him. Still i think PT is a challenge to use and against an experienced Pikachu, even a good or pro PT is no match for Pika.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
i've played anther online. BTW PIKA > > > > > > ZARD CUT PIKA CUTS THRU FLAMETHROWER WITH FAIR!!

oh and above post... squirtle can actually follow moves, up-tilt and uair would like to have a talk with you. Thunder has no effect in the pokemon trainer elements.

Zard isn't that slow. Hyphen U-smash is actually a really fast move, along with the tilts, and jabs.

ivy's fair and bair cancels out pika's shocks.

Electric-Sachiel

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2337-4294-5850
i've played anther online. BTW PIKA > > > > > > ZARD CUT PIKA CUTS THRU FLAMETHROWER WITH FAIR!!

oh and above post... squirtle can actually follow moves, up-tilt and uair would like to have a talk with you. Thunder has no effect in the pokemon trainer elements.

Zard isn't that slow. Hyphen U-smash is actually a really fast move, along with the tilts, and jabs.

ivy's fair and bair cancels out pika's shocks.

LOL I'm aware Pika's electricity has no extra effects on PT's Pokemon elemental stats. Yes Squirtle can follow up with moves like fthrow and fair but these moves are few and weak.
Hyphen U-smash the only really FAST move? And furthermore what is a Hyphen U-smash?

Charizards titls for the most part are pretty slow. Except for maybe dtilt. ftilt is extremely slow and can only be used on occasion. uptilt? Meh.

ANd yes Ivy can cancel out some of Pika's tjolts but only when ivy's on the ground. And against an aggressive Pikachu how often is that? Pika can also fire his tjolts diagonally from the air and that can be tricky to block with Ivy.

Overall i think Pikachu still has the advantage by far. ANy PT would be lucky to beat an experienced pikachu......

Stupid pika's that spam thunder don;t count! :laugh:

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Hyphen Usmash is doing an Usmash when you are running, that way you slide a little while performing the usmash... which is pretty usefull for charizard because he runs fast and his Usmash comes out pretty fast (in fact , its one of his two reliable kill moves that come out before frame 10, the other two being dtilt and bair)
Squirtle is outranged and killed pretty easily, but pika is one of the few characters squirtle has not much trouble killing
Ivysaur has her disjointees, which btw are just rare, you just have to get used to it
Charizard has nice priority
What kills ivy and zard is that pikachu juggles with them A LOT
And dont use dsmash too much, specially in an argument on a matchup discussion, its easily SDIed out

Electric-Sachiel

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2337-4294-5850
Hyphen Usmash is doing an Usmash when you are running, that way you slide a little while performing the usmash... which is pretty usefull for charizard because he runs fast and his Usmash comes out pretty fast (in fact , its one of his two reliable kill moves that come out before frame 10, the other two being dtilt and bair)
Squirtle is outranged and killed pretty easily, but pika is one of the few characters squirtle has not much trouble killing
Ivysaur has her disjointees, which btw are just rare, you just have to get used to it
Charizard has nice priority
What kills ivy and zard is that pikachu juggles with them A LOT
And dont use dsmash too much, specially in an argument on a matchup discussion, its easily SDIed out
Oh so thats a hyphen usmash. Meh. I 'm not too familiar with these terms though i've used that move before. Yeah juggling is probably it. Juggled a charizard and ivy badly yesterday then used thunder on them. I suppose Charizard can kill Pika if Rock smash hits as i found out the hard way when i lost to Ussi's Charizard recently.

Still dsmash can kill if the opponent can't DI quickly enough.

Overall Pikachu still has the advantage against PT players.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Oh so thats a hyphen usmash. Meh. I 'm not too familiar with these terms though i've used that move before. Yeah juggling is probably it. Juggled a charizard and ivy badly yesterday then used thunder on them. I suppose Charizard can kill Pika if Rock smash hits as i found out the hard way when i lost to Ussi's Charizard recently.

that depends Sir Sachiel. :laugh:

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace

Yup, i never said it was for PT or neutral, but it isnt a big advantage as you said once on your post, just an advantage
I use pikachu a lot too, hes fun :D

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I...don't ever play against Pikachu.

Despite that, going on theory; with what I do know...

Is Pikachu really that good in the air? U-Air got nerfed badly, D-Air doesn't auto-cancel (but is still a good move higher up), you can Smash DI out of the B-Air/F-Air, I think...his N-Air is good, but is that really enough to say that he can fight well in the air?

D-Smash is novelty, as you can Smash DI that, too...F-Smash has a precise sweetspot. D-Tilt is as good a spacing tactic as most characters' D-Tilts, which isn't amazing but usable...U-Tilt is combo potential on fatties and fastfallers, but not that much...I guess he's got his chaingrabs. :/

Seriously, someone tell me what each of the Pokemon fear from Pikachu.

I am convinced that Squirtle could do more damage than Pikachu in the air.

I am convinced that Ivysaur and Charizard can outspace Pikachu. (This, I am a bit iffy on, given Pikachu's ability to move around quickly.)

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Squirtle may win against pikachu in the air, but pika outranges on the ground
ivy and zard outrange pika, but pika is a very good juggler and both ivy and zard have problems against that

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pikachu time.

i think all three are in the neutral to slight disadvantage range, while if you managed to save your master ball, it's a 100% hard counter matchup in pt's favor.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
It says on the Pika boards that Squirtle is the only one who has an advantage.They say its 55:45 Squirtle advantage

Ivy and Char are like 45:55 Pikachus advantage

They must of forgot about fatigue.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Really, Squirtle is at an advantage? Maybe we should tell them that they overestimated, by around 1.5 points (and they apparently have a 4.6 too).

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i can kind of see why because aside from his smashes, pikachu doesn't have any really disjointed attacks.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle 45:55 disadvantage

Squirtle and Pika have almost the same missions. Squirtle for harassing then gimping, Pika for harassing and quick finish. Pika is slightly better than squirtle at harassing because of projectiles and a crazy downsmash, but a quick finish with an upsmash or upB would be difficult to pull off against an agile squirtle. Squirtle is quite good at harassing, ariels followed by tilts and a AAA combo, plus a hydroplane or two. There is however an issue, Squirtle is not going to gimp a pika. Pika can out DI a squirtle enough to not be hit while performing an upB. The only way to finish a pika off would be with a smash or a hydroplane, and against an agile Pika, Pika will outlast.

Ivasaur 50:50

Ivysaur is a decent match up, razor leaf can counteract Pika's projectile. Plus, bair can outspace anything pika can do. Making it easy to hold off pika while searching for the short windows of time to start combos. After that, it's quite easy to get pika in the air to snipe or smash the rat when he lands. Pika can win just as easily though, downsmash being quite effective and fsmash just as long as ivy's. Once Pika get's ivy in the air though, there isn't much the poor plant pokemon can do to get her poor feet back on the ground.

Charizard 55:45

Rock smash, flamethrower, upsmash, dtilt, nuff said.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle 45:55 disadvantage

Squirtle and Pika have almost the same missions. Squirtle for harassing then gimping, Pika for harassing and quick finish. Pika is slightly better than squirtle at harassing because of projectiles and a crazy downsmash, but a quick finish with an upsmash or upB would be difficult to pull off against an agile squirtle. Squirtle is quite good at harassing, ariels followed by tilts and a AAA combo, plus a hydroplane or two. There is however an issue, Squirtle is not going to gimp a pika. Pika can out DI a squirtle enough to not be hit while performing an upB. The only way to finish a pika off would be with a smash or a hydroplane, and against an agile Pika, Pika will outlast.

Ivasaur 50:50

Ivysaur is a decent match up, razor leaf can counteract Pika's projectile. Plus, bair can outspace anything pika can do. Making it easy to hold off pika while searching for the short windows of time to start combos. After that, it's quite easy to get pika in the air to snipe or smash the rat when he lands. Pika can win just as easily though, downsmash being quite effective and fsmash just as long as ivy's. Once Pika get's ivy in the air though, there isn't much the poor plant pokemon can do to get her poor feet back on the ground.

Charizard 55:45

Rock smash, flamethrower, upsmash, dtilt, nuff said.
Yeah I learned by fighting that the back air of Ivy will disrupt the quick attack dash. I was glad to see that as Pika can zoom right through bulletseed untouched. I believe I once grabbed Pika out of a quick attack. I am not sure if it was Ivy or Charzy that was able to do it. That quick attack is the main thing to watch for IMO.

It says on the Pika boards that Squirtle is the only one who has an advantage.They say its 55:45 Squirtle advantage

Ivy and Char are like 45:55 Pikachus advantage

They must of forgot about fatigue.
Hmmm in my Squirtle vs. Pika fights (before I worked on improving my Ivy) Squirtle was the best one I could use against a fast attacking and moving Pika. Charzy would get just zonked during the comboing (until I started some spacing with him). You would really have to play your hand well, otherwise you are stuck with 2 pokemon who are seemingly ineffective against Pika.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Isn't it rather ironic that the Water Type has a disadvantage to the electric type, even in Brawl?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
OH HAI GUISE, I'M A SHINY PIKACHU! EV TRAINED! WITH VOLT TACKLE AND A LIGHT BALL, TOO!

In all seriousness, the matchup I would say is undoubtably in Pikachu's favor, primarily because of PT's stamina concept and Pikachu's Quick Attack Cancel.

Perhaps the best counter to Pikachu PT has WOULD be Ivysaur, mainly because Bullet Seed out of Shield>D-Smash, but only by a few frames. Not to mention, Ivy has plenty of range to go around. Up+B is decent for negating that Fair of ours, if you manage to land it consistently, that is. Just make sure you don't get ledgehogged. QAC->Ledgehog is a favorite among our techniques. :3 And trust me, we can do some REALLY mean things when on ledges.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
OH HAI GUISE, I'M A SHINY PIKACHU! EV TRAINED! WITH VOLT TACKLE AND A LIGHT BALL, TOO!

In all seriousness, the matchup I would say is undoubtably in Pikachu's favor, primarily because of PT's stamina concept and Pikachu's Quick Attack Cancel.

Perhaps the best counter to Pikachu PT has WOULD be Ivysaur, mainly because Bullet Seed out of Shield>D-Smash, but only by a few frames. Not to mention, Ivy has plenty of range to go around. Up+B is decent for negating that Fair of ours, if you manage to land it consistently, that is. Just make sure you don't get ledgehogged. QAC->Ledgehog is a favorite among our techniques. :3 And trust me, we can do some REALLY mean things when on ledges.
yeah I have seen a few tricks of you Pika guys on the edges. I am working on a few PT tricks of my own. :p

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Squirtly- a very annoying matchup for pika, his ar speed and priority allowing quick aerial attacks at pika. squirtle has a very nice ground game with nice tilt and jab combos. problem is pikachu outranges them. if a pika spaces properly it is very hard for squirtle to get in on the ground. he has free reign in the air though. pika has a hard tme dealing with squirtles aerial assault. i would say squirtle has the advantadge 55-45

Ivysaur- this is a not too bad matchup for pika. ivy can space far better, but pikas speed allows him to attack better. the neutral b of ivysaur doesnt affect pika too much, as it is fairly easy to DI the initial hit and get knocked clear through the stream. one pika gets ivy offstage it becomes very hard for ivy to recover, and if you drop low enough we can tjolt gimp or grab the edge. i would say 60-40 pika.

Charizard- this is also not that bad for pika. with cgs and a powerful combo game, pika can really take it to charizard. the only thing that prevents it from being a big disadvantage is charizards rocksmash. pikas small sheild makes it easy to be poked. with its potential to do over 40 damage to pika its no joke, and its a good killer. besides that though charizard has a hard time with pika. i call this 55-45 pika

Overall- this matchup is pretty neutral, especially if you manage your pokemon right. i would recomend starting with squirtle. i think the over matchup is between 50-50 and 55-45 pika.

OH btw that chart on our matchup page, that is NOT matchup numbers, just overall difficulty >.>

Top Bottom