• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pack of cheaters recently on WFC

capt_taco

Smash Rookie
Maybe this is something that's well-known already, so sorry if I'm not aware of it yet. But the bottom line is, it's very frustrating.

The last 3 nights in a row, I've gone online around midnight PST, and ended up in a brawl with three ppl who really look like they're cheating, and not in a fun way or anything. Basically, what happens is:

- You go into the brawl
- It's ALWAYS the Zelda castle stage
- There will be three people playing some combination of Zelda/Pikachu/Marth/Yoshi/Luigi.
- If you don't do anything, everyone hangs back occupying a quadrant of the screen and not attacking each other. Eventually the nearest one comes toward you and tries to provoke you and draw you into a fight, then they gang up on you.
- This is nothing special, but I don't think I'm a bad player, so I got mad and beat them at their own game. On three or four occasions, I avoided them and KO'd two or three of them at the end without dying myself. One of them still "won" every time -- I would get second place, my totals would be something like 3KOs, 0 falls, and the "winner" would have a blank spot for KOs and one fall.

Now, maybe these are just people trying to have fun somehow, or maybe they're jerks doing it for god knows what reason. But it's really not very much fun, especially considering the fact that EVERY time I've gone online this week, I've faced these guys and no one else.

Has anyone else run into this? Or is it just something that's expected these days? If so, what do you recommend?

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
Actually, that sounds like a taunt party. You just hang around and taunt, and do other stuff. On some rare taunt parties, there are hacked stages.

That guy wasn't trying to provoke you, he was trying to make you join.

I'm surprised you didn't get a kirby in any of those fights.

Dark Mew

Smash Cadet
Yeah, taunt parties are fun if you join in. If not, then you get your *** kicked by everyone. ^^

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
I think you may be on to something. Not about the fact that you got ganged by taunters (which happens all the time), but the results screen being "manipulated." I have plaed in several matches where I have noticed that I somehow end up with a "SD" knockout (against me) and I know for a FACT I did not KO myself. I count how many times I get ko'ed. And it's always this "ghost KO" that costs me the match. Not that I really care, but I do wonder if hackers have something to do with it.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
This game just can't be Brawl!! I mean your playing online!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, it was too good to resist. Yes, that has happened to me (the way your described it)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This reminds me why Brawl's online sucks. Maybe they'll get it right the next time, 7 years from now.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The part that makes basic brawl fail is that the stage is chosen by the majority of votes.

So if 3 people constantly pick hyrule, you will always play on hyrule.

Also are you sure they weren't killing each other on purpouse just to get a higher score than you?

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
I think you may be on to something. Not about the fact that you got ganged by taunters (which happens all the time), but the results screen being "manipulated." I have plaed in several matches where I have noticed that I somehow end up with a "SD" knockout (against me) and I know for a FACT I did not KO myself. I count how many times I get ko'ed. And it's always this "ghost KO" that costs me the match. Not that I really care, but I do wonder if hackers have something to do with it.
Were you in Team Battle? If so, you might have launched your teammate with an explosive of some kind. Those count as SDs

capt_taco

Smash Rookie
Actually, that sounds like a taunt party. You just hang around and taunt, and do other stuff. On some rare taunt parties, there are hacked stages.

That guy wasn't trying to provoke you, he was trying to make you join.

I'm surprised you didn't get a kirby in any of those fights.
Now that you remind me, Kirby was one of the chars that showed up from time to time. So it sounds like the taunt party idea is right on.

But I definitely know the won/lost system was being messed with. There were games when nobody died at all, SD or otherwise, until I wasted a couple of them with a few seconds left. They didn't even have time to come back in and SD. But the final score of the winner would just be a blank in the KO spot instead of the number zero. They were definitely not team matches either, so that's not the answer.

As a side note, I honestly wasn't too familiar with the concept of taunt parties, probably because I played the game a lot in the months after it came out and just got into it again in the past few weeks when my xbox went rrod. So they're new to me, I guess.

Am I just crazy , or does the idea of taunt parties seem kind of pointless? I mean, I can see it being fun the first time you did it, but how long can you really enjoy yourself just standing around and posing? I mean god, if you're that bored, why not just go in the bathroom and rub one out instead?

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
I f'n hate the temple stage online. It's the reason I quit wifi. Items were annoying, but with the tact of scooping up the items, throwing them off-stage and winning anyways (lol sonic fast can pick stuff up can wowzorz de noobs), eventually I got itemless matches.

Or I quit the party and rejoined with other people.

Feined Innocence

Smash Rookie
http://www.brawlsnapshots.com/snapshots/107328
This was a random brawl. lol 3 Bowsers
http://www.brawlsnapshots.com/snaps...items=/snapshots/107344?order=score&user=2911
id I mention I just started playing 6 weeks ago? And I have never played any video games b4 unless you count pacman.
The sameday I brawled 3 giants in a random online game. hmmm

Not once did any of them go for anyone but me and I intentionally went after Zelda (who usually stayed away until I KO one of the others. But the other 2 would immediately get in between Zelda and myself.
It happens about this time at night (actually happened 4 times to me). So I am off to play them lol.
If anyone can tell me how to post replays I'll gladly do so.
I was shocked so I recorded it .

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
Now that you remind me, Kirby was one of the chars that showed up from time to time. So it sounds like the taunt party idea is right on.

But I definitely know the won/lost system was being messed with. There were games when nobody died at all, SD or otherwise, until I wasted a couple of them with a few seconds left. They didn't even have time to come back in and SD. But the final score of the winner would just be a blank in the KO spot instead of the number zero. They were definitely not team matches either, so that's not the answer.

As a side note, I honestly wasn't too familiar with the concept of taunt parties, probably because I played the game a lot in the months after it came out and just got into it again in the past few weeks when my xbox went rrod. So they're new to me, I guess.

Am I just crazy , or does the idea of taunt parties seem kind of pointless? I mean, I can see it being fun the first time you did it, but how long can you really enjoy yourself just standing around and posing? I mean god, if you're that bored, why not just go in the bathroom and rub one out instead?
Basic Brawl is pointless.

That's why, it's the only fun thing to do.

As for SD, did you get hit by one of the bombs at sudden death? That is a SD

capt_taco

Smash Rookie
No, it never even went to sudden death unless it was between two of the other chars in games where they legitimately had more KOs than me. Whenever I won or tied, it went straight to the post-game screen with one of the other characters as the winner and a blank KO count. I just had another screwy game like this tonight, and I noticed that while the winner had a blank KO count, one of the other opponents (who ended up in 4th place) had a blank Falls count.

Also, what's wrong with Basic Brawl? I see all kinds of people complaining about the lag, but I've hardly ever had any lag problems once I figured out to DMZ the console and put my router on a different channel. Other than that, I don't see how it's that different from any other fighting game unless you're some kind of statmonger. Is that all it is, or am I missing something?

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, taunt parties do get stale. I'll still try to start one to show off some new glitch I just learned, though.

I have Ocarina and you can definitely edit score screens with it.

Nick7

Smash Rookie
"Nobody cheats better than Waluigi, WAHAHHAHA!"
Sorry I just couldn't resist, anyway I haven't felt any tremendous lag in basic brawl myself. Sometimes I run into a match where it justs freezes than I get kicked off. Other than that its pretty smooth, I just wished it had more options like the Friend's Mode.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
hm... you'd always lose to a "ghost ko", is it just one? how could someone hack something on the spot? if you could never win then he'd have to fix the game so the number of his ko's are more than anything you could score- I'm just hazarding a guess here, I've been to those taunt parties and broke up a few, but this is the first I heard about ghost kills and this invisible ceiling on brawl.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
That's interesting... So, assuming that it was a taunt match that had been hacked... Did they ever actually taunt? If not... They are losers... If so... they are losers.

3 ways to beat them at their own game:
Next time you play them taunt wildly,
Constantly Self Destruct and
Constantly Hyrule Jump(it was on the temple stage right?)

Seriously, don't let them...

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
That's interesting... So, assuming that it was a taunt match that had been hacked... Did they ever actually taunt? If not... They are losers... If so... they are losers.

3 ways to beat them at their own game:
Next time you play them taunt wildly,
Constantly Self Destruct and
Constantly Hyrule Jump(it was on the temple stage right?)

Seriously, don't let them...
That won't beat them at their own game, that would just satisfy them. I should know since I start taunt parties all the time. And in Hyrule Temple mainly with Ike spammage taunts are epic. I support TP's there is nothing wrong with them, hell it's just fun. You don't like it then leave the group. And yes you do get ganged up on if you pick on one of them, it's just like a herd you're simply not welcomed if you're different.

@capt_taco, it's not that bad you can have friendlies with them if you know how to communicate on a basic brawl.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I believe I've been in the same exact match as these guys, because the time and place match. After about three matches, I stopped playing.

I just quit and find a new group. While taunts in general don't bother me, I think it's stupid that people go online all the time just to do that.

I want 1 vs. 1 brawling.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
lol taunt parties are awesome. i always join and then people like come in and try to win but always lose to our gang party.think of us as the squirtle squad and you are jenny. i never did see anybody hack a win though

breaking up taunt parties seems fun but the taunt party has to be full of crappy players for you to win. if you ever see a white shelled squirt/white bulb ivy/light zard in a taunt party. it might be me and guess what???!!!

i will kill you!!!

capt_taco

Smash Rookie
@capt_taco, it's not that bad you can have friendlies with them if you know how to communicate on a basic brawl.
I still don't get how that's fun to do more than ... I don't know, ONCE. I always thought hitting people was the fun part of the game, not jumping around and posing.

I've since been in a few more matches like this and played along with a couple of them, and I've got to say, it's about as entertaining as slamming your d*ck in a door.

Fieryblast

Smash Rookie
I've seen a few of these as well. I might taunt a few times, but I'm playing online to actually Brawl. Not stare at a bunch of stupid taunts for hours on end. Usually I switch to a character such as The Captain, and then I go right in one of their faces and give 'em a "Show me yah moves!". If they just sit there, then I make it my goal to annihilate all of them-- preferably in the most annoying ways possible. Granted, I won't always... but it seems people who just sit there taunting all day aren't really that great at the actual game. After winning against them a few times, I do notice that they tend to quit. Smarter groups try to counter me by letting one player hit them and then repeatedly suiciding... which can kind of make it difficult. I've never seen a "hacked match", but it sounds like they are using a number value so high that it can't be represented by Brawl's display. In that case, yes, you'd always lose.

Villi

Smash Lord
Psh, I kick taunt party ***. I've made it so after one guy leaves, the other two hang around while I beat the crap out of the newcomer lol.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I mean god, if you're that bored, why not just go in the bathroom and rub one out instead?
LOL! That's hilarious.

Yeah, the Temple Taunt Party is definitely an experience. I just drop out nowadays if I get thrown into that group. There's also the AFK group. One player just... AFK, worse is when it's in Team Battle. God I hate that.

About the score thing tho, that's actually new to me... I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. It's one thing to hack stages, totally another to hack the score count. Might as well not play! Sheesh.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
What, what's wrong with taunt parties?! lol

What's better? Crashing them with a FALCON PAWNCH!
(Know what, I'm gonna do that right now...)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
*How to crash a taunt party*

Pick a character that is very powerful or very fast.
Sonic, MK, G&W, or DK

Kill one of them, the plank or run away for the rest of the match. If you win at all, quit immediatly after and don't let them have a second chance at getting the last laugh.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
There is no code released to edit scores. Let alone one for online. If there is one it hasn't been released. Go look for one. You won't find one.
Why do people make such a big deal about crashing taunt parties? Once everyone starts taunting then different things happen. It's not like the only thing people do in taunt parties is sit and spam taunts all day. Unless it's a group where everyone is the same character.
If the score is not right after the battle then I have no idea what's going on. It's not hacks though.

Top Bottom