• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GBD Smash Lab portal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm going to be making a public Smash Lab portal thread thingy, in General Brawl Discussion. My intention is to keep the OP up-to-date with the projects the Lab is working on, and allow for dialogue between the Lab and the rest of SWF. This will be a better place for ppl to propose projects and ask questions, rather than SP's "The Smash Lab: What is it?" threads where that happens now.

It's something of a consolation for the fact that I still think the Lab should at least be world-readable.

I know we barely have momentum yet, but that's part of the point; at least to let ppl know that much... since I'm sure there are at least a few people who feel like they're being excluded from a research party, whereas they might feel better to know we're just talking about frame data collection and Brawl's knockback formula... lol.

Obviously I won't mention SP's super-secret SBR request. But I thought I'd give you guys the heads up before I do this, I'll prolly make the thread tomorrow sometime.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Sounds like a good idea, but make sure you present everything correctly. It would be a pain if we had to monitor a thread and correct misconceptions. In my evaluation the positive benefits outweigh that annoyance though.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I was just gonna post a thread in the GBD when we complete our first project, and link all our projects that are complete to that when they are complete. The point of that thread was to archive all the contributions of the smash lab and allow the general public a directory into all we have done. I'm not sure what you're going for with this thread, but I hope it won't overlap in content/purpose, because that would make your portal thread redundant.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It's important for people to know what we're working on, not just get results when things are done. It helps eliminate suspicion, rumours, and a feeling of "segregation" or "out of the know" from the non-Labians. It also lets "independent researchers" know if they're overlapping a work in progress or not. For example, if someone out there is working very hard to collect frame data on Squirtle, that'd be a needless overlap of efforts since it's already assigned to Amazing Amphros. If they know we have someone working on it and want to go ahead anyway (for timeliness, self-verification, or whatever) that's perfectly fine, but I can imagine the frustration if they spent multiple hours working on it then suddenly we post our "official" results.

I did have in mind that my thread would link to the Lab's completed projects as well. If you'd prefer that your thread also take on the "communicationy" aspects (describing the Lab's works-in-progress, and receiving input from the general public about requests to the Lab and whatnot), that's totally cool and you can go ahead. But it actually might make more sense for both threads to exist; one's a stickied and/or locked "Smash Lab official results compilation" for reference for ppl who just want the goods, whereas my thread would be for continual updates and discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom