• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's OoS Game

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
As captain falcon is more of a 'punishing' character, falcon's OoS is important too.
I have never seen a thread about falcons OoS game, so here is one.

OoS?

OoS stands for: Out of Shield.
When your opponent hits your shield, you can punish them nicely (most of the time) due to the fast shields in brawl.

Grab OoS

This seems the most reliable/easy option. When an opponent hits your shield, you can shieldgrab them easily, making you able to grab hit them and throw them into a direction of choice, and set up for possible follow ups.

Jab OoS

As falcon's jab comes out quite quick, punishing an opponent who hits your shield with this is a good option. As the jab(>jab) combo's into a grab, you can even follow up the jab with a grab, to hit two birds with one stone (jab+grab OoS)

Dtilt OoS

When you get pushed back by an opponents attack while in your shield, a jab or a grab may lack the reach to hit your opponent. When this happens, the Dtilt is a pretty safe way to punish their attack on your shield.

Ftilt OoS

Same as with the Dtilt. This move has more reach than a jab or a grab, making it a good move to use OoS when you endure shield pushback from your opponents attack.

Utilt OoS

Utilt also has quite good reach, but comes quite slow. If the opponent uses an attack with quite some after lag, this move OoS is the best to use (as it can even KO the opponent at higher percents)

Up b OoS

This move does good damage, and comes out pretty fast. It also has 'teleportation' frames, when you grab the enemy. As this move does good damage, it is great for punishing opponents who hit your shield.

The up b OoS is easier to use with tap jump on, but do not put tap jump on as it will make your Uair game harder to execute, and may take away your second jump at times you need it.

Falcon kick OoS

The falcon kick is a quite risky move, but if your opponent hits your shield and is close to you, the first hitbox of the falcon kick will send the opponent flying in the direction you aren't facing (making punishing the falcon kick harder). This makes it quite a good option to use OoS, as it does 13% damage fresh, but it is still risky as the opponent might not be 'close enough' to you, wich makes you easily punishable (during the falcon kicks ending lag)

Raptor boos OoS

The raptor boost can be used quite nicely Oos, as it sets up for possible follow ups.

Dsmash OoS

Dsmash can punish an opponent who hits your shield nicely, but it has some startup lag, so make sure your opponents attack is laggy enough to get hit with falcon's Dsmash.
Dsmash can KO nicely, so at higher percents this can finish off your opponent.

Usmash OoS

Usmash does good damage and can KO at higher percents, but make sure your opponent endures enough lag from their attack that hit your shield to get hit by falcon's Usmash. Also make sure they are close enough to you to get hit by both kicks (for the best result), as the Usmash hitbox is quite small.

When you endure shield pushback, you can Hyphen smash out of shield, but again, make sure the opponent suffers from enough lag not to able to counter your OoS hyphen smash.

Fsmash OoS

The Fsmash has quite some startup lag, so this move is only to punsish the laggier moves that hit your shield. Falcon's Fsmash KO's nicely and does good damage, so when a laggy move hits your shield, feel free to use this to punish your opponent with a Fsmash.

SH Knee OoS

On tall(er) opponents, a SH knee OoS can even sweetspot, making it a good KO move when used OoS. A sweetspot knee does good damage, but you may want to save this for KOing (if you use it)

On small(er) opponents a SH knee OoS will most likely result in a flub knee, wich can be combo'd into a (jab>jab) grab.

If your opponent trips from the SH flubbed knee, it can even combo into an Utilt.

(SH) Bair OoS

You can RaR a Bair to punish opponents who hit your shield in front of you, but the best use for Bair OoS is when an opponent hits your shield from behind.

Nair OoS

As the Nair comes out pretty fast, this move can be used OoS quite nicely. It also has quite some reach, so even when you endure shield pushback from your opponents attack, this move can still connect OoS.

On tall(er) opponents both hits of the Nair can connect OoS, while on small(er) opponents it might be best to FF after the first hit of the Nair>jab (or FF first hit Nair>jab).

Uair OoS

The first hitbox of the Uair can connect OoS (most likely only on tall(er) opponents) wich makes this also a pretty good option OoS. The first hitbox of the Uair does 13% damage, wich is quite good.

SH Dair OoS

A shorthop Dair OoS can work wonders. If you execute the Dair immediatly after you jump, you will not endure landing lag, making the SH Dair (OoS) combo into jabs (at lower percents) or into aerials (like into Fair or Uair, at higher percents)

Roager

Smash Ace
Quick thing about the Knee. It applies in general, but since you mentioned it here... bleh. Anyway, if you land the SH Flub Knee, and they trip, would it not be possible to jab, then F/D smash? Unless I'm mistaken, that jab forces them to stand up, no attack, no roll, no nothing. So you could probably land a smash, for good damage if nothing else.

Actually, come to think of it, the flub knee only trips at lower damages, and (I think) Usmash is the most damaging smash Falcon has. So, flubknee>trip>jab>Usmash would be pretty beast damage.

I'm just brainstorming, actually. But it might be useful.

Dxkid

Smash Apprentice
A useful thread and some good moves I never thought about

But a quick question say your oppents comes close to hitting your sheild and you try ummm a Falcon Dive
Would you either miss your oppent get a good hit on him

This has really been on my mind after reading this

Zeallyx

Quick thing about the Knee. It applies in general, but since you mentioned it here... bleh. Anyway, if you land the SH Flub Knee, and they trip, would it not be possible to jab, then F/D smash? Unless I'm mistaken, that jab forces them to stand up, no attack, no roll, no nothing. So you could probably land a smash, for good damage if nothing else.

Actually, come to think of it, the flub knee only trips at lower damages, and (I think) Usmash is the most damaging smash Falcon has. So, flubknee>trip>jab>Usmash would be pretty beast damage.

I'm just brainstorming, actually. But it might be useful.
The jab does not have a 'locking' effect, so they will not be forced to stand up (the jab even sets them back on their feet)

This idea would be great, but unfortunatly, it does not work

But a quick question say your oppents comes close to hitting your sheild and you try ummm a Falcon Dive

If they are still in the lag of/after lag of their move that hit your shield, the up b will hit them if it comes out in time ^_^

Roager

Smash Ace

I don't mean to be rude, but I have a really hard time understanding what you say. What are you asking?

Also, yeah, sorry for having stupid ideas. I haven't been sleeping much, I'm a bit out of it. But even so, trip knee>jab>grab>pummel>Fthrow>dash attack>knee or something.

I dunno, I like to think up cool move strings. Even if they don't work.

Zeallyx

I don't mean to be rude, but I have a really hard time understanding what you say. What are you asking?

Also, yeah, sorry for having stupid ideas. I haven't been sleeping much, I'm a bit out of it. But even so, trip knee>jab>grab>pummel>Fthrow>dash attack>knee or something.

I dunno, I like to think up cool move strings. Even if they don't work.
Your idea was far from stupid:) It was actually very well thought through.
And move strings are always good. The more variety in your game the better ^_^

Dxkid

Smash Apprentice
Sorry im a terrible speller

My question is say your Facing a Marth hes comming at you with a Dash-a and you unleash your sheild but it comes close to hitting you and you unleash a Falcon Dive is the move going to hit your oppponet or will you miss

Roager

Smash Ace
Lemme get this straight. Marth dash attacks you, you shield, but he misses. Does up-B work?

If that's the question, I would guess no. If he dash attacks you, you shield, and he hits your shield, I think you'd be close enough to hit him.

Either that, or I misunderstood you.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
It depends on how far the dash attack was. And marth shouldn't come at you with a dash attack. It suck. If anything expect him to shield and then dolphin slash out to kill you. Or do u-smash instead of Dash attack.

Dxkid

Smash Apprentice
@Roager:Yes that was my question its been stuck in my mind for awhile.....well when the thread came up

@DarX: Dash attaack is a good way to get some chacracter flying i mostly use Dash attacks plus some u-smash can backfire on you on what ive seen

But back to Falcon thanks for answering my question

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
@Roager:Yes that was my question its been stuck in my mind for awhile.....well when the thread came up

@DarX: Dash attaack is a good way to get some chacracter flying i mostly use Dash attacks plus some u-smash can backfire on you on what ive seen

But back to Falcon thanks for answering my question

Of all of marth running options dash attack is the worst. The lag is horrible and the range isn't that good. Its really punishable. I would rather get into someones face with a hyphen smash or Dolphin slash them out of a shield, because it has more range, and knockback back as well as less prelag. Its also gives marth invincibility in the first 5 frames, thus over riding all of falcons priority.

Zeallyx

Of all of marth running options dash attack is the worst. The lag is horrible and the range isn't that good. Its really punishable. I would rather get into someones face with a hyphen smash or Dolphin slash them out of a shield, because it has more range, and knockback back as well as less prelag. Its also gives marth invincibility in the first 5 frames, thus over riding all of falcons priority.
Run>dancing blade seems the best option to me most of the time ^_^

Now, back to falcon:)

Dxkid

Smash Apprentice

I see what you mean now

wow i feel such a noob not knowing the Brawl facts and i've been playing since 64 :(

Anyway back to Falcon

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
I see what you mean now

wow i feel such a noob not knowing the Brawl facts and i've been playing since 64 :(

Anyway back to Falcon

Its all good. Don't be down.

This thread is helpful. Some characters abuse IASA frames like ****. Look at diddy.

Top Bottom