• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab sliding

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
A possibly new technique and great approach method for Falcon. I've called it simply the jab slide, hopefully a term we will be hearing a lot in future. I've been looking into this for a few weeks now, I think I have all my info necessary.

Video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iSN-s5QbaVs

Just realised that the video makes it look like the slide is nothing on those zoomed in ones. Youtube did something horrible to it. Just do it yourself, go into training and go to zoom in then do it. You'll see.

It works based on the "sliding effect" Falcon has. Basically, whenever he lands from a jump, depending on the inner angle of him to the ground (The inner angle being furthest from the direction he is travelling) when he lands, he will slide slightly. This can be used to extend the hitbox's of his moves that don't cancel slide. The smaller that inner angle the further he slides. To do this, do a running short hop and then any aerial (or an air dodge) and tap the jab button. You must perform the aerial immediately after leaving the ground so you have no lag upon landing. the jab will come out when you land on the ground, and you will see it slide slightly. There are only a few moves which don't cancel the slide, and they are:

Jab
Grab (Huge reach)
D-tilt
U-smash
Up-B (Incredible reach)
Shield
Spot dodge
Roll

He slides this far:

Jab gains quite some distance from this, and is probably one of the best attacks out of it. Although these pictures will look crazy, and you might think that it doesn't actually reach that far; it does. I have done loads of testing, and I've triple checked everything.

Jab range:

Not all too impressive compared to grab, but this is only the first hit, the total hitbox reach is just slightly off grab's when you use the second hit.

Grab Range:

The grab range is fantastic, a good bit more than a dash grab and far less laggy. You must buffer it though, so that you don't shield.

More pictures will be added tomorrow.

This technique is great. Grab range is crazy, further than over half the casts dash grab ranges. Jabs are great for if you're opponent is close, but it seems grab is actually better in most cases. U-smash is pretty pointless tbh, as is rolling, although shield and SD are good for bating an attack and punishing. D-tilt too has very good reach, but it does cancel some of the slide. It seems to be about half, so I figured out a way to make it as effective as possible. Simply crouch first for half of the slide, then on the second half press "A" to initiate the D-tilt. That way you get the full reach possible and it comes out at the peak of the slide. Up-B is just plain madness. Coupled with its own sliding effect at the start and the slide from the landing it reaches crazily far. I can't express it in words, so just wait until tomorrow when more pictures will be done.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
hmm..this does have potential, very nice find.
hurray for Jab approaches
^_^

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Im loving the grab range. This can help a lot.

I officially declare the falcon boards as: Able to find most ATs in one month.

Zeallyx

I agree. The falcon boards have been very active lately, and quite some things have been found. Hurray for the falcon board

Darx, you are the 'in red poster', I've been wanting to ask you, is it ok if I post in red too?
If you dont agree, thats fine^_^ I'll post in pink then:)

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
I agree. The falcon boards have been very active lately, and quite some things have been found. Hurray for the falcon board

Darx, you are the 'in red poster', I've been wanting to ask you, is it ok if I post in red too?
If you dont agree, thats fine^_^ I'll post in pink then:)

You can post in red too. Anyone that wants to can. Red is open to everyone.

I use hot pink as my sarcasm color.

Zeallyx

You can post in red too. Anyone that wants to can. Red is open to everyone.

I use hot pink as my sarcasm color.
Thanks, but I think I've found my color ^_^

and @ face, yeah, I can imagine the up b range beeing beast:laugh:

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
You have seen nothing until you have seen the Up-B range. I kid you not. The grab range is awesome though, and unpunishable, and frame 6.

:laugh:
Perfect.

Thanks, but I think I've found my color ^_^

and @ face, yeah, I can imagine the up b range beeing beast:laugh:
I will tell you ahead of time, cyan is one of the three colors i use. I use it for special recognitions, and to title threads, and updates.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Vids up, but youtube ruined the zoom in parts

go and try the zoom in parts yourself in training, it looks like there isn't even a slide in the vid.

EDIT: DarX, youtube is being horrible to me today, I am doing everything I can.
Oh! No problem. There is no hurry man.:)

Ummm thanks for the welcome i know how to spell but thanks
Thats the spirit!

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord

I know! It reminds me of Link or Samus's range!

And don't forget all those unique properties that we also found...
BTW, this needs to go in the index and all the guides that we have.

RMMF

Smash Cadet
Wow, why couldnt this be posted sooner!, just did alot of matches with my friend who mains link, and his projectile game is incredibly ********(in a good way)....Great find man..i only know the jab slide from pivoting...

Dxkid

Smash Apprentice
I tried it out its pretty epic

Back at the site i came from played 1 of the best Ike i ***** bad until the last match

F-ing Runnin A

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Oh shi- I think I have a way to make the Falcon Dive have even more godly range!Reverse before you jump so that you land backwards. Now perform a reverse Falcon Dive to gain the extra distance from your slide AND reversed FD. It could be amazing distance!

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Oh shi- I think I have a way to make the Falcon Dive have even more godly range!Reverse before you jump so that you land backwards. Now perform a reverse Falcon Dive to gain the extra distance from your slide AND reversed FD. It could be amazing distance!
Falcon dive doesn't have extra distance added by doing it the opposite way you were facing. I think. Not totally sure on this one.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I think it might just be that the reversed Falcon Dive (in air) acts like a midair landing and does the same type of sliding.

Rename thread to Falcon's Godly Approach or something like that =)

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
You're right. Perhaps the extra distance of the slide just overrides the set distance of a RFD... It's still a good approach.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
The range on the Up B is unbelievable. He freaking teleports onto his opponents face and humps their soul.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I've noticed this every once in a while in Falcon dittos but shrugged it off because I really didn't know what exactly I was doing to get Falcon to slide :p
Great to see I wasn't going crazy.
Definitely agree that the video does it injustice.
Intentionally doing it = great!
The grab has more range but I have been mainly jabbing while practicing this because of the jab (>jab) >grab. More damage and results in a grab anyways.

Top Bottom