• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shield cancelled running grab advanced Technique by ~gonzo~

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Hey everyone,

the basic premise of this technique is to grab characters who have long range moves like Marth's Fair and DDD's Ftilt and Dtilt.

How it works, While running u shield and immediately click A for grab but dont let go of the control stick. There should be so little time between clicking shield and A that it feels like u pressed them at the same time. Ur shields will flash for a split second and then u'll do the running grab for ur character. When ur shields flash it should be at the time ur going to be hit so instead of getting hit u power shield the hit and get the grab even if they spaced the move perfectly.

ALso, u can perform the reverse grab from this although i fail to do it in the video below. To perform the reverse grab smash the opposite direction after u click A and u'll get the reverse grab.

Ask for further explanations.

Video of the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BxjoDZUjiA

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Err... have you tried this with someone actually attacking your shield?

I just went and messed around with it, and maybe my timing was off, but it didn't look like the shield was able to actually shield anything, as if it was just the animation going off, with no actual shield.

The two times I did powershield an attack, my character just did a standing grab.

Palpi

Smash Hero
The shield gives you the extra boost. I don't think it is REALLY intended to shield anything unless you still get the grab off that'd be sick.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
...I'm almost certain that this has not been known since forever.

Where has anyone ever before mentioned that you can

Run
Shield
Shield grab

And you shield grab will come out as a dash grab.

Please do not turn this into another Roll Trick thread, where everyone completely misunderstands the OP and acts all haughty about it.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
i have power shielded with this. It is literally the same as shield grabbing except u do a running grab instead of a standing grab. I've tested it against Marth's Fair and Dtilt. I haven't had an opportunity to test it against DDD's Ftilt.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
The shield gives you the extra boost. I don't think it is REALLY intended to shield anything unless you still get the grab off that'd be sick.
u get the benefits of ur shield as well as the benefits of ur running grab. no boost from the shield cancel but who needs the boost when ur running grab already will go more than the required distance.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Huh... maybe the fact that I was trying to PS a projectile was throwing me off.

Anyway, this could prove useful against characters that rely heavily on spacing attacks, like Wario and Marth, as well as the long-range attacks you mentioned.

Considering how tricky the timing is, both for actually doing the tech and timing it properly, weighed against how situational it is, I don't think we'll be seeing much of it in competitive play for a long time. Still good to have tucked away, though.

Nice find.

Get ready for the flood of people who are going to insist that this has been known for a while, and they do it all the time, and you're a scrub, etc etc.

Gonzo Combo!

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Huh... maybe the fact that I was trying to PS a projectile was throwing me off.

Anyway, this could prove useful against characters that rely heavily on spacing attacks, like Wario and Marth, as well as the long-range attacks you mentioned.

Considering how tricky the timing is, both for actually doing the tech and timing it properly, weighed against how situational it is, I don't think we'll be seeing much of it in competitive play for a long time. Still good to have tucked away, though.

Nice find.

Get ready for the flood of people who are going to insist that this has been known for a while, and they do it all the time, and you're a scrub, etc etc.

Gonzo Combo!
hahahaha i'll remember that, i know that anytime i try and grab a character that's spacing an aerial. I will shield the aerial and try and get the grab. U should practice just powershielding the aerial they are spacing first. then once u get that down u literally just click A after shield. If ur good at powershielding u should be able to get the hang of it.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
...I'm almost certain that this has not been known since forever.

Where has anyone ever before mentioned that you can

Run
Shield
Shield grab

And you shield grab will come out as a dash grab.

Please do not turn this into another Roll Trick thread, where everyone completely misunderstands the OP and acts all haughty about it.
The reason no one talks about it is because it is known.
Does someone need a topic to say you can dash shield grab before someone knows it?
No.

Does someone need to post to tell you that dash shields counter the push of an attack?
No.

Its similar to delaying a dash attack/DACUS. Its just that no one bothers putting it into words so when they do, it looks new but it really isn't.

Hell I was wondering if this was new until I saw the video.
Then I went, oh, I knew of that already.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
The reason no one talks about it is because it is known.
Does someone need a topic to say you can dash shield grab before someone knows it?
No.

Does someone need to post to tell you that dash shields counter the push of an attack?
No.

Its the same issue.
Sir, i believe ur mistakened about the input. Its --> control stick, shield while still holding the control stick in the direction ur running, and then clicking A as soon as u shield, it'll perform the running grab.

I'm not shielding and then running again.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sir, i believe ur mistakened about the input. Its --> control stick, shield while still holding the control stick in the direction ur running, and then clicking A as soon as u shield.
Those were examples gonzo I wasn't speaking about your "technique" specifically.

I understand what you are talking about.
While it appears new it really isn't.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Told you, Gonzo.

Oh hey, I wanted to ask. When you do the reverse grab, is it still a dash grab? Like if I run, shield and reverse grab, will all my momentum suddenly switch directions and my character will stagger in that direction? I'm doing it with Falco and I just keep getting the boost pivot.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Since when did u know u could running grab out of shield???

If this was none already please show me the thread. BUT i'm willing to dispute that i have not heard nor seen, nor discussed a technique that let u running grab out of shield.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It should turn into a pivot grab since you're moving int he same direction then reversing the grab which would normally be a dash grab.
Key word should, I don't mess with it since i use Sonic so I don't reverse grab often.
I've known it for a while Gonzo.
First time i did it was when I whiffed a dash shield grab as Sonic.
I hit A too early and I dash grabbed after the shield.
Evidently powershielding doesn't act like regular shielding.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Told you, Gonzo.

Oh hey, I wanted to ask. When you do the reverse grab, is it still a dash grab? Like if I run, shield and reverse grab, will all my momentum suddenly switch directions and my character will stagger in that direction? I'm doing it with Falco and I just keep getting the boost pivot.
lets say u started running to the right. U'll just do a pivot grab instead of a running grab. SO it'll have the same physics as a running pivot grab.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
It should turn into a pivot grab.
Key word should, I don't mess with it since i use Sonic so I don't reverse grab often.
I've known it for a while Gonzo.
First time i did it was when I whiffed a dash shield grab as Sonic.
I hit A too early and I dash grabbed after the shield.
Evidently powershielding doesn't act like regular shielding.
If u did know u should have posted something about it. Because ur probably the only other person who may know. This isn't something the smash community knows. THere may be just a handful of people who know this then.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I figured as much. Figured I'd hope against hope that I was just doing it wrong and we could insta-flip running grabs all of sudden.

Yeah, cool stuff, but nothing gamebreaking.

Anyway, watch the double posts, Gonzo. People don't take to kindly to those anymore. Just edit your last post with the new info. And don't let Link get you down, I told you people were going to say stuff. It happens everytime anyone finds anything. Hell, it's usually the same people.

It was not widely known that you do perform a running grab out of shield in any way.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Anyway, watch the double posts, Gonzo. People don't take to kindly to those anymore. Just edit your last post with the new info. And don't let Link get you down, I told you people were going to say stuff. It happens everytime anyone finds anything. Hell, it's usually the same people.
Yes, we shouldn't say anything to anyone who think they discovered something new!
OH and those same people often tend to be credible posters with lots of experience with the game.
Ignore them!
It was not widely known that you do perform a running grab out of shield in any way.
Only to people who don't play the game often.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
i don't ignore posts, although i will ignore posts from people that post flames for the sake of just posting and not taking into account anything being discussed in the thread. which know one has done yet so far

also sorry for the double posts. i like to differentiate topics by posting again, but if bothers some of uall i'll edit my posts instead

kismet2

Smash Ace
Think of this as the jump cancelled grabs in melee. Less lag on your grab animations(since it's making you use the standing grab). The shield that comes out for a split second(that may perfect shield) is merely a bonus.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Nice find. Good job Gonzo
Think of this as the jump cancelled grabs in melee. Less lag on your grab animations(since it's making you use the standing grab). The shield that comes out for a split second(that may perfect shield) is merely a bonus.
Thnx guys, if u can predict when ur opponent will try and use their aerial then it will become much easier to power shield, and if u mess up just hold the shield and then run or roll or jump away and try again.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I thought this has been used the whole time? Especially for DDD. Either that or I've misunderstood what this AT is about, or I've been doing this all along without knowing that i 'found' something out.

Sorry its late and i have to go to bed for school, but check out CO18's DDD Guide (or his CGing guides). It might be edited, but if you ask him, he will tell you it's been there. Im pretty sure he did edit it though, but only because he found that the standing grab for DDD's CG is better than the one you mentioned here.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I thought this has been used the whole time? Especially for DDD. Either that or I've misunderstood what this AT is about, or I've been doing this all along without knowing that i 'found' something out.

Sorry its late and i have to go to bed for school, but check out CO18's DDD Guide (or his CGing guides). It might be edited, but if you ask him, he will tell you it's been there. Im pretty sure he did edit it though, but only because he found that the standing grab for DDD's CG is better than the one you mentioned here.
i dont think so, DDD should do the grab where he falls and rolls on the ground (his running grab) no his standing grab, this wont help during his CG but it may help in getting the grab.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Its still wouldnt be useful for getting a grab on a mulit-hit air attack would it? Like meta's f-air, or will it grab between one of the three swings?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yup it has definitely been known that you could get a running grab animation from out of ur shield.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I thinkt he reason ShadowLnk may have been so aware of it is because we Sonic's come across it alot. Actually, for us its something we tend to get more annoyed at then happy about. Our running grab stinks and is laggy, so we work on timing so that the situation you describe does NOT happen. We need to delay pressing A so that the shield doesn't become a running grab rather than a sliding standing grab. The reason for this is that for Sonic, shield cancelling a run into a standing grab gives us a slide that actually allows this standing grab to have more "range" than Sonic's running grab. So we typically powershield moves into a standing grab from a run. This quick slide from the run is something most people don't realize about Sonic, and pretty much circumvents all his range issues on the ground. He can, for example, powershield DK ftilt from a run, and slide into range for a standing grab in an instant.

For Sonic its not very useful I would think, but I can see it being quite useful for most other characters. Again, its how Sonic is able to get past several opponents approaches and deal easily with range issues.

Also, powershielding seems to give you a short period of invincibility, so you should be able to powershield and grab many multihit attacks. I've gotten it to work with MKs fair before.

EDIT: Yea, I think everyone knows this at least subconsciously

The importance of Gonzo's post though is that no one thought of a true use for this. It can be very useful, especially for characters with good running grabs.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
what?

i don't get it.

you're talking about the same premise of a jump-canceled grab in melee? where you run, shield and grab causing the standing grab animation to be used while running? or am i missing something?

this has been known and used since the game came out and i've always used it.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I thinkt he reason ShadowLnk may have been so aware of it is because we Sonic's come across it alot. Actually, for us its something we tend to get more annoyed at then happy about. Our running grab stinks and is laggy, so we work on timing so that the situation you describe does NOT happen. We need to delay pressing A so that the shield doesn't become a running grab rather than a sliding standing grab. The reason for this is that for Sonic, shield cancelling a run into a standing grab gives us a slide that actually allows this standing grab to have more "range" than Sonic's running grab. So we typically powershield moves into a standing grab from a run. This quick slide from the run is something most people don't realize about Sonic, and pretty much circumvents all his range issues on the ground. He can, for example, powershield DK ftilt from a run, and slide into range for a standing grab in an instant.

For Sonic its not very useful I would think, but I can see it being quite useful for most other characters. Again, its how Sonic is able to get past several opponents approaches and deal easily with range issues.

Also, powershielding seems to give you a short period of invincibility, so you should be able to powershield and grab many multihit attacks. I've gotten it to work with MKs fair before.

EDIT: Yea, I think everyone knows this at least subconsciously

The importance of Gonzo's post though is that no one thought of a true use for this. It can be very useful, especially for characters with good running grabs.
for sonic u might be able to perform a reverse grab with a lot of success.

Top Bottom