• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shield cancelled running grab advanced Technique by ~gonzo~

Lawlmahbawls

Smash Journeyman
i dont think so, DDD should do the grab where he falls and rolls on the ground (his running grab) no his standing grab, this wont help during his CG but it may help in getting the grab.
Wrong lol

DDD uses the shield canceled grab to get the perfect chaingrab. The running one can be gotten out of with jabs or in Snakes case a grenade. But if they do the shield canceled grab he can't pull a grenade and get out. So this has been known for quite some time.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So wait, I get it now. You're saying that it is better to put up your shield, not before a standing grab, but before a running grab. I'm sorry, but this is just plain wrong. Running grabs are generally slow and laggy. SC grabs might not come out as fast as normal standing grabs, but they're still far less laggy than their running counterparts.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So wait, I get it now. You're saying that it is better to put up your shield, not before a standing grab, but before a running grab. I'm sorry, but this is just plain wrong. Running grabs are generally slow and laggy. SC grabs might not come out as fast as normal standing grabs, but they're still far less laggy than their running counterparts.
Well, you said "generally". I can see some characters getting a decent boost. Ness instantly springs to mind, as he gets some ridiculous range on his running grab; perhaps Samus, 'cause it's less laggy that way.

I've never heard of this, personally. Regardless of whether or not it was already discovered, apparently a fair amount of the community didn't know. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say "Nice find" to you, ~Gonzo~.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
No, what i'm saying is that against characters who have long range attacks like DDD's Ftilt or Marth's Dtilt or Fair u can run and power shield the attack and immediately use ur running grab to grab them when normally ur standing grab wouldnt reach. This makes characters who have to have great spacing, IE Marth, a lot easier to beat.

Well, you said "generally". I can see some characters getting a decent boost. Ness instantly springs to mind, as he gets some ridiculous range on his running grab; perhaps Samus, 'cause it's less laggy that way.

I've never heard of this, personally. Regardless of whether or not it was already discovered, apparently a fair amount of the community didn't know. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say "Nice find" to you, ~Gonzo~.
Thank You, also characters with very long grabs have a lot more lag but this would make using the running grab much safer as u have a bit of a guarantee ur gonna grab them.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Wrong lol

DDD uses the shield canceled grab to get the perfect chaingrab. The running one can be gotten out of with jabs or in Snakes case a grenade. But if they do the shield canceled grab he can't pull a grenade and get out. So this has been known for quite some time.
Ur missing the technique dude, u run and power shield an attack and immediatly press A to get a running grab, no part of this technique can be utilized during DDD's CG this technique is only to be utilized for running grabs and pivotboosted grabs.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
One thing that can be noted, though, is that a lot of characters can powershield a ranged attack, start running again, and shieldgrab; it's virtually the same thing, and most characters are better off doing their standing grab that way.

However, like I said, I don't see it as a total loss. Some characters do benefit.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
This doesn't seem like it would work in many situations, ie, if the marth starts doing spaced fairs, the grab is going to miss, and he'll hit you with the second fair of the shdfair. In that case it's better to just powershield and then jump and aerial. Against marth, you could still use this if the marth was decidely for using dtilts etc, but it seems like against most of the attacks this would work against, there is enough lag that you can just powersheildand then run forward and grab.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
This doesn't seem like it would work in many situations, ie, if the marth starts doing spaced fairs, the grab is going to miss, and he'll hit you with the second fair of the shdfair. In that case it's better to just powershield and then jump and aerial. Against marth, you could still use this if the marth was decidely for using dtilts etc, but it seems like against most of the attacks this would work against, there is enough lag that you can just powersheildand then run forward and grab.
Kirby is to short to be hit by anything but a falling Fair where Marth hits the ground. Meaning for him and MK they can both get grabs against Marths Fair.

Dedede's have been doing this for half a year for CGing while taking up less of the stage.
Sorry but i dont think u understand this technique at all. This technique doesnt utilize the standing grab at all. Instead its a way to powershield a hit from a spaced move and instantaneously use ur running grab to make up the distance and get the grab b4 ur opponent can do anything else.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Kirby is to short to be hit by anything but a falling Fair where Marth hits the ground. Meaning for him and MK they can both get grabs against Marths Fair.
I'm not sure about that, unless i'm remembering completely wrong, a fast rising fair from my friend was hitting my kirby as I ran toward him. I'll go check right now if i can short hop dfair kirby.

edit: yes, marth can quite comfortably hit a kirby at the peak of his short hop, so if you attempt this tech, marth will shorthop double fair, the first will get powershielded, the grab will misss because marth will be at the peak of his short hop, and then the second fair will hit during the laggy grab.

Villi

Smash Lord
If this hasn't been mentioned already, you can do a pivot grab by c-sticking in the opposite direction immediately after hitting the shield button.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about that, unless i'm remembering completely wrong, a fast rising fair from my friend was hitting my kirby as I ran toward him. I'll go check right now if i can short hop dfair kirby.

edit: yes, marth can quite comfortably hit a kirby at the peak of his short hop, so if you attempt this tech, marth will shorthop double fair, the first will get powershielded, the grab will misss because marth will be at the peak of his short hop, and then the second fair will hit during the laggy grab.

Then wait for the Marth player to fall, its not like Marth players dont space their Fair, or u canm simply bait them into jumping and fairing, run back or shield and use this technique when they come done. Its pretty easy to predict when Marth will use his Fair when u running at him on his way down.

If this hasn't been mentioned already, you can do a pivot grab by c-sticking in the opposite direction immediately after hitting the shield button.
I tried to do it in the vid but forgot how lol :p

Radiation

Smash Apprentice
I've been doing this for a while with Ganondorf, his running grab blows laggy chunks but it actually lets him aggressively shieldgrab more consistently instead of whiffing anything that's REMOTELY spaced. Still risky due to the lag, but his normal grab often gets punished anyway so hey whatever.

Top Bottom