• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retreating RAR Fairs

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
do them.

excellent for spacing offers much faster movement and control than a simple retreating sh fair in every possible way

i don't see/haven't seen ike's using this.

if this is pretty commonly used then i'll just close this

i'm not sure i have my lingo right - but i'm pretty sure.

Being able to turn around and do a retreating fair out of a full dash seems like it would be an excellent choice for ike vs some of our speedy pursuers like for example metaknight or even marth when he gets anxious.

just to make sure we're all on the same page here

you can run any distance and do a retreating fair facing your opponent with your monster range.

man ike has LONG arms o.O
(i'm referring of course to his sword)

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Against a taller character I'd much rather use a retreating bair seeing as how it autocancels, since if anyone is smart at all they're going to be running in and shielding (this is the most common approach) and fair doesn't autocancel unless it's full hopped. All in all it's a good option to have though, though smaller characters can punish the minimal lag on fair quite easily.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
it takes longer for fair to come out. Ike's fair already takes 18 frames to initial and 7 frames to jump. by dashing and turning around you're adding like precious 10 frames.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
that isn't relevant - the point isn't to make it faster of flashier it's just another option to punish a pursuit - a regular retreating whatever it is you want to do is sometimes not going to get you out of harms way when this will

sheesh

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
I'll take note to practice this. In the meantime, can someone post a vid that shows the application of this?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
The application of this is to punish pursuit, you don't need a video to watch someone run after ike only to get hit in the mouth. The same idea applies to throwing someone one way then throwing an fsmash hoping theyll run right back into it, though this one applies spacing concepts too and gives you some running room to get away should they stand still so your spaced/retreated fair doesn't get punished.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
yah this has nothing to do with speed. It's a way to keep your opponent away from you and change the flow of the match. It can also get you into a better position since this Fair can't be punished except by a few given few.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Ah...I see...So what happens when they "approach" with their shield? What do we do then?
If you spaced properly, most characters shouldn't be able to punish a FAir if they shielded it.

RAR FAir... I should try this, it's too hard to hit those shorter characters with short-hopped BAir (as Rykoshet has pointed out).

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
this is obviously situational

it isn't an answer to everything in the world -______-
You are right about this. Just N-Air, it's a whole lot less work, and it's not as predictable. It has the same affects as a RAR F-Air, but it can handle two people coming at you at once, and they won't be able to touch you because of its amazing surrounding range. I also believe it has a lingering hitbox. So just use N-Air, it's simply better than this in this situation, and I believe it is the best N-Air in the game (Yeah, better than MK and Lucas)

Edit: The only way F-Air would be better in this case is if you want to do it over and over again. That's fine, just don't spam it, because soon they may roll dodge behind where you landed with your F-Air and punish you big time.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
>_______________________> @ "just nair"

nair is decent enough for sure but there is such a humongous range difference between the two moves - they are used in completely different situations

Top Bottom