• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilt utilization + more--Week 3: Utilt

ADHD

Smash Hero
The diddy metagame is currently at a standstill. None of the better diddys are saying anything besides player 1, they are only watching what these boards and occasionally poking in a post of info or so. Some say use more tilts, but how would you use them if you don't know any scenarios where they would come in handy, or follow ups? In this thread I will do a tilt each week, follow-ups, when to use, and more info about that tilt and other tidbits to help you improve. This thread can help you whatever level you are on, even if you are a high-placing tourney-goer. All dtilt follow-ups are not totally accurate and there's always a chance they won't work. However, these are the best follow-ups that I've been using for a while. The dtilt is useless at really high percents. The other two tilts have more gauranteed follow-ups, although some can be escaped they are never-the-less very good.

Dtilt

So what about the dtilt? It is a quick move, very spammable, and has good range. It's amazing shield pressure, and has quite a bit of follow-ups. The dtilt can be shielded after the second hit if you are spamming it on someone caught in it, and punished. I would suggest never using more than two dtilts before following it up, otherwise you may lose your follow-up and take damage instead! The dtilt is quite good, and something alot of diddys lack in their game sadly.

Dtilt > grab: This is the most basic follow-up of a dtilt, mainly because like jab to grab, the most instant reaction if you get hit by it is to DI away and put your shield up, that's when you grab. It works on every level player, however if you use it too much and become predictable with it it will never work. I always use one dtilt before I go for the grab, I want that shield to come up and for them to not realize they got hit with the dtilt until they are grabbed. If you dtilt twice and grab, chances are the grab will be dodged because they realize what happened during the second dtilt hit. Plus, if you use several dtilts in a row and then grab, your opponent will never forget what's going to happen next after the last dtilt. It's best to keep it to a single dtilt if you want to grab afterwards. Dtilt to grab will never fail if you mix it up with the other follow-ups and keep this tactic fresh and use it when your opponent doesn't expect it. This works at any percent below 100 basically.

Dtilt > shutter-stepped fsmash: Shutter-stepping is when you hit backwards or forwards exactly before fsmashing. What happens is it produces a slide that helps space it well. As some of you may know, the fsmash can be DI'd by better players, atomsk DI's my fsmashes alot even if I try to keep them random. Using a dtilt before a shutters-stepped fsmash spaces the fsmash seriously well and makes it hard to DI it, plus it is hard to punish diddy's fsmash afterwards if it is shutter-stepped because there is a good distance between you and your opponent afterwards if it happens to hit their shield. You can shutter-step forward or backwards after a dtilt, but which way to shutterstep? In low percents, shutter step backwards for good spacing after the dtilt, and around 50-80 percent shutter step forwards to space the fsmash to them so both hits will be accurate. Remember, the fsmash can be shielded, but it can catch people offguard and its hard to punish so there isn't much of a reason not to mix it up with the fsmash occasionally.

Dtilt > side b: This is the one scenario where it might be a good idea to use more than two dtilts before following it up. Several dtilts space the side b grab perfectly and it only works on tall characters generally sadly. It's best to use this on mid-ranged height characters to the taller ones only. Once again, this is good because the dtilts make your opponent's shield pop up, and the side b takes advantage of this. This works around any percent before 70 really.

Dtilt > ftilt: This is another avoidable tactic by shielding, but is still a good follow-up. The dtilts space for the ftilt, but I generally only use this at 80-120 percents on average because the dtilt pops them up high in the air, and then the airdodge is baited and you can ftilt them aftwards when they land due to its good range. You can still use this at any percent though before 150. It's usually shielded though at lower percents, that's why I like to use it at higher percents. It spaces on shields though, so it can never be punished unless it's against snake who will use ftilt you aftwards.

Dtilt > usmash: I personally hate this, but advent likes it for some reason. I think it will just get shield grabbed most of the time, but you can try it and tell me what you think about it.

Jab > dtilt: The jab sets up perfectly for a jab-canceled dtilt. It's great and quick, and good shield pressure. It forces the shield up in most cases. I prefer personally jab > dtilt > grab sometimes. You can just jab > dtilt > jab > dtilt repeatedly until the shield is up. Once again, dtilt is good shield pressure.

Ground grab release > dtilt: I think this is a true combo on ness, but in any case... The dtilt is great shield pressure, as I've said three times now. If someone breaks out of a grab when you're jabbing them really fast, dtilt them. If the dtilt hits their shield out of a grab release, go for the grab afterwards. Good players will catch on fast, so it probably won't work more than once or twice on the same player. The dtilt has the highest chance of hitting from a grab release if they break out really fast from a grab, that way its unexpected for them if you can react A.S.A.P. Dtilt has great range, so it will be spaced perfectly on a shield out of a grab release. It's better to save this for someone who breaks out of grabs all the time rapidly when you don't want them to, because even you won't expect them to do that and so the dtilt will be totally random.

Dtilt > banana throw I would only use this on falco, just crawl with a banana in your hand under falco's massive reflector and dtilt him then throw the banana. It's a great tactic and I almost left it out, use it between 30-80 percent for the banana to have the best chance of hitting aftwards.

Dtilt semi-lock against a wall: This is somewhat a lock against walls and amazing on delfino and RC every now and then. It will lock them between 30-60 percents pretty much; that percent range is only an estimation, but somewhere around there. It can be DI'd out of afterwards if its done for too long. The minute you see a shield pop up, GRAB! Or else you will get grabbed yourself. The shield will be brought up as well from your enemy if the dtilt lock goes out of percent range.

Monkey flip kick > dtilt Not entirely sure if its a true combo. After the kick has landed, dtilt on afterwards. If they have around 25ish damage, its perfect. Follow up the dtilt with anything you like ^_^

Ftilt

The ftilt is diddy's longest-ranged move that he has without a banana, and it can be excellent to space against shields against characters who have annoying chaingrabs like dedede and falco. It can be a nice poke to push opponents back into a banana at low percents as well. The ftilt is also good for refreshing some moves and mixing punishing follow-ups from a trip if you have used up both your fsmash and dsmash before they are at high percents. Occasionally you get a trip, but your opponent is too far to dsmash them or fsmash them in time. It's best to then ftilt them--even that little extra range can do this. If you push them backwards with an ftilt into a banana, they will most likely roll towards you or stand straight up since if they roll away they will trip once more after the banana flies in that spot, so it's good for tech-chasing.

Banana trip > ftilt or ftilt > banana trip: As I have stated above, this is pretty straight forward. It helps refresh some KO moves you have used like fsmash or dsmash, and can catch people from trips if they are a little bit farther away and out of range of your smashes. If you push someone into a banana at lower percents with the ftilt, chances are they will roll backwards or stand straight up considering that if they roll away they will trip once more into the banana they originally tripped on.

Ftilt as a possible ledgeguard move (situational): This thing has good range, I will repeat it again. It can be used right over the ledge occasionally to hit people that are hanging on there for too long. It will send them at a mean angle, and if they don't have a good recovery they will most likely die at mid-high to high percents.

Ftilt to space on shields: Obvious title, can help space opponents who approach with shields or have a nasty chaingrab like dedede or falco.

Ftilt on characters with swords: The ftilt can compete occasionally with characters like marth, link, toon link, ike, and metaknight in terms of range. It's a good poke that can hit a marth for example trying to space his sword so it will hit you but he will remain far away from your body; the ftilt sometimes works in this situation.

Ftilt to kill floaties at the edge: If you want to keep your smashes fresh, it might be a good idea to do this. After naner lock or simply a trip, it can kill them and leave your fsmash and dsmash ready for use on their next stock.

Bthrow/fthrow > ftilt > forced stand-up > anything: At low percents on heavies, like d3 and ganon, you can fthrow or backthrow them and most of the time they will not be able to react fast enough and get stage smacked. You can then ftilt them with good timing and it will force a stand get-up animation much like sheik's needles or ice climbers ice blocks. End it with anything you like, such as a usmash, grab, or dash attack into something else. The ftilt has this property of forcing a get-up as long as your opponent is below 26 percent.

Not much is to be said about the ftilt, simply because all of its uses are not yet discovered. It is highly underrated, but for a reason.. because it is situational.

Utilt

The utilt is quick, has good range, and hits behind you . It's hitbox is awesome, and it ourprioritizes metaknight's dair sometimes in terms of range and quickness if you time it right. The thing about the utilt is finding the right scenarios to use it, once you catch on you will never forget about how much this tilt *****.

Dash attack > utilt So basic, you can utilt out of a "tipped" dash attack and then proceed to an aerial, or a usmash when they're falling down to the ground. On heavier characters you can even utilt twice after a dash attack before following-it up in some cases.

Utilt juggle > usmash On most characters (even lighter characters) you can utilt them at least twice before going into a running usmash. It is a true combo on some, and they cannot even jump out before the first hit of the usmash catches them. On king d3 and bowser you can utilt them three times before following it up with a running or standing usmash based on their DI.

Utilt juggle > aerial Same idea with the utilt juggle > usmash. Just follow it up with a fair, dair, or uair instead.

Nair > utilt This is a combo at low percents. An autocanceled nair will lead into a utilt automatially. Just be careful on not making yourself vunerable with the nair.

Utilt > anything when they land If you utilt them at mid/lower percents it will sometimes bait an airdodge while they're falling to the ground. You can grab, dtilt to grab, jab to grab, ANYTHING really.

Utilt on people on platforms above you The utilt has retartedly good range vertically for some odd reason. It will hit people above you even on the smashville platform that flings back and forth. Use this to enhance your platform game, it's very good to say the least.

Utilt from shield The utilt is fast, you can utilt out of shield to even hit people behind you in certain cases. It's a good option and good to follow-up as well.

If I left anything out for utilt please tell me.

***********************************************************************************************************************
Want to improve your DI? DI'ing saves you at higher percents if you get hit by a KO move. The best way to DI (bair is best, but we don't have frame data) is once you get hit, to hold perpendicularly up towards the upper KO ceiling, mash left or right on the c-stick for the bair, and when it's done to smash down on the analog stick to fast fall. This keeps you living an extra 20 percent in most cases if you have perfect DI, and helps you survive much longer over-all. It's a good thing to master if you want to become better.

Fighting on Brinstar: Brinstar is a stage that's just unavoidable. It's one of those stages where you either have to ban it, or ban another stage that a floaty character would do better on against you. Did you know that if you smash throw a banana down at the mold (I don't know what the hell that is) that holds the stage together it will bounce five times and create a barrier? It can be good to protect yourself against opponent's like metaknight, because if the banana bounces at his tornado it will stop it, and kirbys who approach in the air because it will provide a short protection. Using usmashes are also very good, they send up opponents into the air where diddy is great at. Use alot of aerials, and don't be afraid to use bananas as simple projectiles. Peanut guns are also amazing at characters like wario or dedede on this stage, as they tend to remain for the majority of the time in the air there. Diddy can also recover from below the stage, which is nifty at times. Just don't get gimped, and keep your uair ready for if you bounce into the lava and they are above you. This stage is fun once you know how to fight on it. Diddy can also get back on the stage from the ledge by going literally through the stage. Press down while holding on the ledge and immediately side b, then uair while jumping up and you will land on the stage's floor. This can be done on both sides, however on the right ledge you must wall jump from that little center-piece to get back on.

rob.bot64

Smash Rookie
you should also add something in about the dtilt > glidetoss, because dtilt can be preformed with a banana in hand. This is useful against space anamils especially.
Good thread chrome, like always

ADHD

Smash Hero
you should also add something in about the dtilt > glidetoss, because dtilt can be preformed with a banana in hand. This is useful against space anamils especially.
Good thread chrome, like always
thanks, i added that one in. I forgot one lemme add that too.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
For DI surviving, I believe bair would be better than uair... since it ends faster than the uair...

The reason why I think bair ends faster is because you can fit two bairs in one short hop, where as you can only do one uair in a short hop

ADHD

Smash Hero
For DI, I believe bair would be better than uair... since it ends faster than the uair...

The reason why I think bair ends faster is because you can fit two bairs in one short hop, where as you can only do one uair in a short hop
Yes but the uair comes out faster, and it ends only a few frames after the bair would end. But once again we need frame data.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Hmm... usually it's best to use your second jump right after you do your aerial when trying to survive a big hit... and since bair ends faster, you would be able to use your second jump faster than after the uair.

But your reasoning sounds fine if you intend to fast fall right after the uair

ADHD

Smash Hero
Hmm... usually it's best to use your second jump right after you do your aerial when trying to survive a big hit... and since bair ends faster, you would be able to use your second jump faster than after the uair.

But your reasoning sounds fine if you intend to fast fall right after the uair
I don't think the jump makes a difference at all, in fact I believe it makes it worse. You should fast fall after the aerial, otherwise it gives you a boost towards the KO zone. I'm not entirely sure on this.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
very useful indeed though my fav combo with dtilt is

dtilt>dtilt>grab>release>dtilt :3

very helpful btw i wanna really learn the follow ups with ftilt though cuz i always just save that for spacing/kills >_<

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Wow 8 views and 8 replies.. haha.

Yea i think bair is better. and for horizontal you should jump and for vertical kills you should FF.

Esca

Smash Champion
Guys, I've found sort of a combo. I've been a Diddy main for a while, I just never come here. At 0% you can, u-tilt > u-tilt > d-tilt > grab. Usually does 31% if you do the right grab.

You can also triple u-tilt to up-air, or wait for them to airdodge and grab them.

Also, d tilt > fair.

D-tilt > dash attack > u tilt

ADHD

Smash Hero
Guys, I've found sort of a combo. I've been a Diddy main for a while, I just never come here. At 0% you can, u-tilt > u-tilt > d-tilt > grab. Usually does 31% if you do the right grab.

You can also triple u-tilt to up-air, or wait for them to airdodge and grab them.
I've got it covered already, it will all be when i write up about utilt next week :)

Player-1

Smash Legend
Dtilt to fair/dair/uair/nari. It works near the 100%, and sometimes a lot lower depending on how heavy the character is.

Old favorite combo: Dash attack > dair/spike. New favorite combo: Dtilt > dair/spike.

I also like to spam some double bairs, then single bair autocancel dair to a dtilt, it works pretty well and a good mindgame and mixup.

Foufy

Smash Apprentice

Also, d tilt > fair.

D-tilt > dash attack > u tilt
has anyone tried "u-tilt > u-tilt > d-tilt > grab" > grab release->d-tilt>f-smash

That could really rack up some damage.

white peachy

Smash Ace
Does anyone have the frame data on dtilt (I think it comes out on 4 but not 100% sure). I've been messing around with grounded release grabs and dtilts for awhile. I've only landed dtilt-->spike a handful of times but I don't actively look for it. No doubt it's a great move though.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
hm yea basically ftilt is seriously at a standstill until we discover its full uses later on. its more of spacing utility than anything else. only thing i can add is trip>grab>release>dtilt>ftilt at lower %'s works some decent appetite for diddy's combos. i use ftilt mostly as a spacing and retreating move.

Esca

Smash Champion
Well I think the ftilt is used really good to space a banana.

Say there's a banana barely out of your reach and your foe is going for it, just ftilt, it'll hit. It's range is godly. also, at 0% on most characters, dtilt > dtilt >low angles ftilt combos.

@Chrome: The Brinstar thing is right, I was once taken to Brinstar by Popertop's Wario in tournament. He'll never pick that again. The thing to do is play very defensive.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think ftilt is a spacing thing more than anything else, it has slightly better range than a dtilt and is underestimated when it comes to range. It's also a good KO move at high percents or a fresh ftilt, it's quick and surprising.

Mattmiston

Smash Apprentice
I use my tilts very erratically, and I only bring out the random f-tilt kill by accident. I use wiichuck (lol), so I kind of find it difficult to tilt the control stick slightly while supporting the nunchuck with my index finger at the back. Any tips? Just be more gentle? I find it really hard to combo up and then end with a slick f-tilt sometimes...

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I use my tilts very erratically, and I only bring out the random f-tilt kill by accident. I use wiichuck (lol), so I kind of find it difficult to tilt the control stick slightly while supporting the nunchuck with my index finger at the back. Any tips? Just be more gentle? I find it really hard to combo up and then end with a slick f-tilt sometimes...
gcn controller ftw. your life and your hands will thank you xD. but seriously ftilt doesnt seem to have much of a combo starter but it does quite well as a finisher.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I use it on everyone here. If they DI into it its true.
When you say "D-tilt > D-tilt > F-tilt works" without explaining why or how, that becomes very misleading. Diddy has a lot of options that either initiate setups or extend follow-ups, but most of what is being and has been suggested is not too far removed from theory-craft and general poetic waxing.

Sometimes, D-tilt > D-tilt doesn't even work. D-tilt has ridiculously low knock-back and hit-stun, and even a character like Meta Knight is heavy enough to land and perfect-shield a repeated D-tilt at low percentages.

As I suggested in another thread, you need to make a clear distinction between what actually works as a true, inescapable combo, and what works because you reacted accordingly to your opponent's bad DI. "If they DI into it its true" is a silly counterpoint, and the apparent fact that all your friends have bad DI is somewhat astounding in and of itself.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Oh and you can angle the Ftilt with proper spacing. If you tilt the ftilt downwards you can actually hit the player from the bottom while putting up their shield still. Oh and Ftilt can negate alot of projectiles except for bombs pretty much. Using that ftilt to negate the projectiles can easily discourage a player who loves to camp while using projectiles. I usually throw the banana first then Ftilt until the character reaches at like 100% or higher to save up the smash attacks.

white peachy

Smash Ace
Yup, you basically have it covered for how I use it. Sometimes I use it against low traction characters shielding at high percents to push them while they're shielding then immediately dsmash as they try to shield grab. I also use it when I banana combo someone to the edge and won't be able to get a fsmash off in time to kill before they fall off the edge. Still is is a pretty situational move similar to dtilt.

Esca

Smash Champion
THieN, dtilt twice has never failed for me, even against players like jerm and xyro, rt...

the reason it does work is because if you've put shield pressure on them, then their shield is low, in which case a ftilt angled downward does hit, i'm sorry if it was misleading, i can see where you thought that. On a lighter note, the next OK tourney you have, you can add us from beaumont, i'm 18 now, so i can go anywhere. Just give me a couple of months.

Chompy knows what its about.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Dtilt twice doesn't combo at low percents, they can Shield after the first Dtilt and then punish you after shielding the second Dtilt (If they are in position, Utilt would be a better alternative to the initial Dtilt)...For this reason, spamming Dtilt doesn't work as a shield punisher as it is easily punished between hits.

Esca, how do you usually safely put shield pressure on your opponent as Diddy?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
THieN, dtilt twice has never failed for me, even against players like jerm and xyro, rt...

the reason it does work is because if you've put shield pressure on them, then their shield is low, in which case a ftilt angled downward does hit
LOL. I don't think you understand what I'm saying. D-tilt > D-tilt is not a true combo. I'm not saying this doesn't work (I, myself, use this at lower percents on occasion), but the fact of the matter is that people still haven't learned the power of smash-DIing in Brawl, so they don't know how to escape individual, back-to-back attacks like this.

Even at that, a downward-angled F-tilt is not a feasible finisher to a string of attacks that's not a true combo to begin with. Out of all three tilts, F-tilt has the most startup and the most cool-down frames. If back-to-back D-tilts can't even be considered truly inescapable, how is throwing in your slowest tilt going to appease the situation any? Like I said, there's a difference between a string of attacks working 100%, regardless of things like character weight and DI, and then things that you do that the people you play with just don't seem to be prepared to react to.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I don't like finishing a dtilt with an ftilt at all because its practically always sheilded and when I use the dtilt more than once it always gets powershielded and punished.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I think you guys are being a little critical. Dtilt->Dtilt and Dtilt->Ftilt counts as a combo in training mode at the right percents. Nobody is going to be able to DI out of a single hit attack so its pretty safe to use. I'm not a fan of Dtilt->Ftilt because the percent range where it combos is so small its hard to apply in game, and its easy to get punished if applied poorly...Dtilt->Dtilt works wonders in game, which can be followed up by a Side B, and it works well even against pros.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I don't like finishing a dtilt with an ftilt at all because its practically always sheilded and when I use the dtilt more than once it always gets powershielded and punished.
Exactly. D-tilt > grab isn't even guaranteed; people in my crew have started to spot-dodge no matter how many D-tilts I do. I've somewhat adjusted this follow-up by running up to them anyway to draw out the spot-dodge, and then grabbing them as soon as they reappear. The even smarter guys in my crew have simply started mashing C-stick so they can F-air me as soon as I approach.

There are no guaranteed follow-ups out of D-tilt. Period.

EDIT:

I think you guys are being a little critical. Dtilt->Dtilt and Dtilt->Ftilt counts as a combo in training mode at the right percents. Nobody is going to be able to DI out of a single hit attack so its pretty safe to use.
The argument has nothing to do whether or not it's safe; just whether or not it is guaranteed. If get away from the freeform environment of training mode and throw in critical external factors like move decay and even minimal opponent DI in the mix, D-tilt > D-tilt suddenly becomes escapable. The assumption that "nobody is going to be able to DI out of a single hit attack" is incredibly difficult for me to take seriously.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Le Thien, have you used Dtilt->Side B, if they shield, you Diddy Hump them, if they stationary dodge, you can do the kick and it will hit them as soon as they come out of the dodge. What characters would Fair out of Diddy's Dtilt? The Dtilt followups wouldn't really be applied to MK, but they are very good against say Snake and DDD. Can you reference a match when you tried to followup a Dtilt and your opponent avoided it entirely by DI'ing the first hit?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Le Thien, have you used Dtilt->Side B, if they shield, you Diddy Hump them, if they stationary dodge, you can do the kick and it will hit them as soon as they come out of the dodge. What characters would Fair out of Diddy's Dtilt? The Dtilt followups wouldn't really be applied to MK, but they are very good against say Snake and DDD. Can you reference a match when you tried to followup a Dtilt and your opponent avoided it entirely by DI'ing the first hit?
Kevin, I never said that D-tilt > D-tilt never works, only that it merely is not inescapable. Even if it turns out that Southwest players are the only opponents of mine smart enough in the entire country to smash-DI very obvious back-to-back moves like this, it does not mean that I have not come up with my own modified follow-ups to deal with their adjusted reactions.

For the record, I have had MKs, Falcos and Marths smash-DI away and out of my D-tilts, and as soon as I rushed in for the dash-grab, I have eaten F-airs and N-airs from both characters. I don't have replays of this, though, so do what you will with this information. I don't exactly have a reputation for falsifying facts, but I'm slightly amused that you're challenging the notion that this is escapable all the same.

Top Bottom