• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your First Tournament - A Guide to Making the Most of It

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ok, so it's your first tournament, you're excited, nervous, unsure of some things, want to practice, etc...

Well, this Guide is For YOU!

As an experienced Tournament Organizer (TO), and smash player, I will give the best advice I can to help a new tourney goer get the most out of their experience, and answer most questions they'll have.

What To Expect

Venue, Housing, Food

There are a few different types of tourneys, and which kind it is will affect what you should expect. While I can't give you a 100% guarantee on what to expect, since every tourney is different, I will try to offer up what I can.

National/ Large Regional:
This probably shouldn't be what you're looking for for a first tournament, but I'm not going to stop you, it'll probably just cost more money that you're willing to spend :p . These tournaments almost always rent out their a whole building or at least a large portion of a building (i.e. a gym). They'll also typically last more than 1 day, either providing housing at the venue, or providing housing at local smashers' houses. These tourneys often provide food at the venue so you don't have to go anywhere to eat.

Regional/Large Local:
These tourneys are usually held in some sort of rented/borrowed venue such as a gaming center, a store, a cafeteria/lounge, or something else of the sort. These usually last only 1 day, and do not provide housing or food. These tourneys often require a venue fee to cover the costs of the venue.

Small Local:
These tourneys are typically held in the TO's house to take the requirement of a venue fee out. These will always last one day, and may or may not provide food.

Sub-Local:
These are tourneys set up by schools, youth groups, etc... who are just working to set up a fun get-together for their local community. These typically aren't considered "real tourneys" by competitive players because they typically won't follow the generally accepted ruleset, don't draw good competition, and typically don't give out good prizes (or even charge an entry fee).

Equipment, and what to bring

Most TOs are able to provide a couple TVs and Systems for their tourney, but often rely on attendees to bring TVs and Systems to have enough to run the tourney smoothly and quickly. Because of this, you can expect that the TVs will all be CRT (not flatpanels or HD; which as most competitive players will note: CRTs are much better anyways), and will not be standard. Pretty much all tourneys have a "BYOC" clause which, in this context refers to "Bring Your Own Controller". Controllers are typically not provided by the TOs. Depending on the game, Modded controllers may be allowed (Brawl = modded OK, Melee = Modded NOT OK), but controllers with Turbo Buttons or Macro buttons are never allowed. Pretty much every competitive smasher will prefer the on brand Nintendo Controllers for quality anyways. Oftentimes, since TOs need people to bring TVs/ Consoles (aka setups), they will waive a venue fee for anyone who brings one or the other (sometimes requiring both). If this is the case, you can save yourself some money and bring some of the requested equipment (if you can).

How you'll do
It's your first tourney, don't expect much. Most people there will have been some tourneys before. Since this game is largely based on experience, you're probably going to lose a whole bunch and place low. Don't let that discourage you though. Everyone goes through that until they've played at enough tourneys to get some solid experience.

The other players
Players at these events typically range from lower teens to upper 20s, with the average being about 18-21. Of course the participation varies HUGELY based on locale, most people are friendly, want to play, and aren't total *****. Of course there are exceptions, but in my tourney hosting experience, nothing worth noting of the sort has ever come up. Drugs, Smoking, and Alcohol are usually prohibited by TOs, but some people will leave to take breaks and come back high/drunk if that's of any concern to you.

Practicing for a Tournament
The key to practicing this game for a tourney is to mimic the tourney setting as much as you can. Make sure you're playing on a CRT TV (not an LCD, Plasma, DLP, etc...). This will make sure you don't play on a TV with any lag (yes, it makes a big difference... even if you don't notice it, other players will). Play against REAL PEOPLE. Get all your friends together, on several days and play a bunch. Make sure it's on several days. Cramming doesn't really work. Breaking up your playing onto several days ensures that you're breaking some patterns you could form by playing all on one day. Play in real life. Playing in real life is a totally different game than playing WiFi. Playing in the tourney will be in real life, not on Wifi, so be sure to abstain from Wifi for a bit before the tourney, with your most recent playing being in person. If you have no one to play with, you can make sure you have a good feel for the game by beating up level 1 CPUs while ensuring you have perfect control over your character. Watch Vids of top players using the characters you play, and try to see how they space in various matchups, and try to mimic that spacing when you play.

Playing In the Tournament

Playing a Set
If you're unfamiliar with how a tournament set is played, read this section. When a match is called, both players should immediately go to the TV indicated by the TO. Both players will select their characters. If either player cares enough (which is extraordinarily uncommon) a double blind may be called by either player. Call over a TO (or anyone else works, really), secretly tell that person which character you'll play first round. Then you both must select that character. If no one wants a double blind (usually the case), you just select your character. If someone complains about a controller port number, and you don't want to give yours up (or you want the one they have), a best of 3 rock paper scissors may be played to determine who gets to pick their controller port first. Then you do a thing called "stage striking" where you go to the random stage select menu, turn on all the "neutral" stages for that tourney, and take turns turning off stages you don't want to play the first game on until only 1 stage is left. That stage is the stage game 1 will be played on. After game 1, the winner of game 1 may "ban" a stage they don't want counterpicked against them. From the list of "neutral" and "counterpick" stages available at that tournament, the loser of game 1 may select a stage that they wish to play on for game 2. The winning player of game 1 then selects their character for game 2, then the loser of game 1 selects their character for game 2. Then game 2 is played. Any more games that need to be played (i.e. the set is tied at 1-1 games, or it's a best of 5) the process is repeated in the fashion game 2 was done. This may sound a bit confusing, but most other people there will know and will be willing to help you remember; don't be afraid to ask.

Pools (Round Robin)
Some tourneys (usually ones with at least 16 people) will run something called "pools" with the intent of seeding the bracket. Tournaments with over 32 people will sometimes eliminate the worst placing people in pools before the bracket. In a Pools round, ever person is assigned a "pool" of several people and at least 1 TV to play on. You typically play a set against every person in your pool (often at less than normal stocks/time). The people with the most wins in pools will have an easier bracket than those placing lower in pools.

Bracket
Brackets are ALWAYS double elimination. This means that you must lose two sets in bracket before you're eliminated. A common mistake that uninformed first time tourney goers make is leaving after they lose their first set in brackets. You still have more matches to play! If you're unsure of where you are in the bracket, ask the TO, he'll let you know where you are in the bracket, and usually who you'll have to play next.

Friendlies
At almost every tournament, there will be TVs available for "Friendlies" at least at some point during the bracket. Make use of these TVs to get as many games as you can against the best players you can and against as many players as you can. If people are playing friendlies at a TV and you want to join, just walk up and call next game. People usually aren't douschebags about allowing people they don't know play them (they want to play as many people as they can too). Typically friendlies are done in best of 1 "sets" but sometimes (by specific groups of players) best of 3s are done instead. Typically the winner of a friendly gets to stay playing on the TV, and the loser leaves (at which point you can get in line again for friendlies at that TV or a different one -- if there is one).

How to Learn
As a first time tourney goer your goal should be to learn as much as you can about the game and the competitive scene rather than trying to win. Don't get me wrong. You should try your hardest to win, but you won't win, and you must also make sure you're trying your hardest to get better as well. You should look for situations where you get *****, and look for patterns that you react to that get you *****. Try not to follow those patterns anymore. This is easier said that done. Be sure to ask people who beat you for some critique/ advice. Most players who beat you will be able to tell you at least one thing that you kept doing (or weren't doing) that they kept punishing. Good players are almost always willing to give some advice after beating you, so don't feel afraid to ask or anything.

Aesthetic

Smash Cadet
Thanks for writing this up, it was really helpful. I actually have my first tourney tomorrow xD.

tsu-money

Smash Cadet
Good stuff. If I ever make it to a tourney, I'll be sure to read over this many times.

Anther

Smash Champion
I remember those days ;_;. Everyone insisted that pikachu couldn't beat marth and almost made me pick up that n00by fox character.

ALWAYS ask for next, don't sit around and watch for long periods of time. Most people aren't going to ask you if you want next, so just do it. Play as many people as possible for maximum benefit =].

Miles.

Smash Champion
ALWAYS ask for next, don't sit around and watch for long periods of time. Most people aren't going to ask you if you want next, so just do it. Play as many people as possible for maximum benefit =].
Seriously, get them friendlies in.

Makes you get your money's worth.

Ange

Smash Lord
This deserves to be in the sticky of important threads IMO.

This is great. If I ever will be able to go to a tournament, I'll sure take use of this information.
Very useful, people need to read this. :D

Zhamy

Smash Champion
If you're not playing friendlies, YOU'RE NOT GETTING YOUR MONEY'S WORTH FOR THE VENUE FEE. Seriously.

And typically, avoid moneymatches your first time around. There are those "on the spot" MMs, and you could always go for one, but you should really just spend your first tournament enjoying yourself. If a MM is what it takes, then go for it. Otherwise, stay away from it. Keep your dollar.

K 2

Smash Lord
Wow! That was an amazing guide SCOTU! The guide was extremely helpful! Thanks a whole bunch!

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
I'm very excited now. :) There are two tournaments coming up in my area, and I've never been to one. This just makes me even more anxious to play. X3 I'm so excited!

Unfortunately, my Wii is broken, and I'm currently waiting for it to come back from Nintendo. Brawl was stuck in it when it broke... I don't know if I'm getting it back or not.

Edit: I figured it was worth mentioning that my Wii came back with Brawl, and Nintendo did a fantastic job. ^^ It works better than before.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Cool, a lot of new players are getting into the scene! Remember you guys are the lifeblood of the community, and you are NOT freshmen to be picked on. That doesn't happen, because we at the tournament scene actually want more players =]. So, don't be nervous, just relax. Everyone is cool.

Just because someone is being loud, don't think they are gonna become riotous, its all in good humor 99.9% of the time.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Good post. All I have to say is don't be shy. I had that problem big time at my first tournament, but you really have no reason to be shy. Everyone is there for the same reason, and you all share the same interest. Don't be afraid to get to know people, ask people to play some games, or ask for advice.
Especially don't be afraid to ask for advice. Don't be afraid of people seeing you as the "newbie." Everyone was there once.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
at my first tourny i had some crazy experiances. i never grew as a smasher and in skill so fast. lol especially how the competition is in NJ with m2k and all it was crazy. dont be shy and play the good players and grow as a community

mostwins

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4742-8002-0115
Great guide, my first tourny is tomorrow and I'm going to follow this and make the most of my day.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I remember those days ;_;. Everyone insisted that pikachu couldn't beat marth and almost made me pick up that n00by fox character.

I agree here. I went to my first tourney, and you can sit there, right next to the TV for an hour and nobody will ask you if you want to play unless everyone left and you're the last dude there. Just make sure they know you want to play. Even if you don't get "next", by saying "next" it just means that you're in in at least a few matches.

e: Oh yea, make friends! Seriously, if they're in that tournament around you, chances are they'll be at another one that you're going to. Make lots of friends. I've already got some people in my area that I met to look out for next time I go to a tourney.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Making friends and getting to know people at your first tourney helps a great deal with your confidence at future tournies, particularly if you continue going to tournies that are being hosted by the same TO.

Also, play to learn. You shouldn't really be expecting anything for your first time.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well that was fun to read. And it's good to know that people aren't ***** at tournaments. The last thing I'd want to deal with is a bunch of *******s. C:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
more new players tend to come here asking about it then in tourney disc from my experience, so I figured here would be a better place.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
OMFG! Best read ever in my life. I've been planning to enter a tourney all my life around ever since I got into the competitive scene but I've never had the chance to enter one. But the fact that MAJORITY of the elite players are like 18+ who can drink, drive, hangout what not makes me left out since the fact I'm 16 and it's feels lonely >.< And though the friendlies part about maning up calling for next and shy part kinda hurts me since im abit shy lol.

But yes this is the kind of guide that really answered my questions and I'd recommend for a sticky. Very good **** Scotu!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
It's not like everyone's 18+, just a good portion. There are also a ton of high schoolers, and i've even seen a couple 13/14 year olds.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
So as a tournament noob myself, as in I've never been to a tournament I have a question about stages. I get that for the first match you and your opponent pick the first stage you both will play on then the winner bans a stage, and the loser counterpicks. But what if by chance say it was a best 3 out of 5 set. If a player won 2 matches in a row, would they ban a stage after each win, or can you only ban a stage for the next match or is the ban throughout the whole set?

Mith_

Smash Champion
If you don't play friendlies before/after the tourney you are wasting your money.
Spending 15-20 bucks to lose and leave is lol.

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman
Nice guide. Really useful for people in the future that are going to a first tourney such as myslef :D

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
just wondering, do fights ever break out during the tourneys? im talking about real life fights like if someone gets pissed and lands a punch to a kids face or something =[. cause i have like sometimes the urge to hit someone if they're like being cheap like d3's infinite lol. and fights do happen, what happens after? O.o

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
I would think that the person who started the fight would be declared the loser and would be DQ'd, and probably kicked out.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i think DSF punched some guy... once... (apparently there was some serious **** talking too) and I was across the country when it happened. That's the only thing i've heard of fighting at tourneys. Typically, if someone starts a fight, they will be immediately kicked from the venue (typically with a no-return-to-future-tourney-ban as well), or at least that's how most TOs have on paper for how to deal with it.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol probably DSF used SH lasers so he won't get kicked out =P.

another question, how do you register? Do you register via online and stuff.? Or you just go to the tourney, and you sign up bs? If you do sign up, what do you sign up specifically? Like address, phone number etc etc.

sorry these questions finally come to mind after certain time lol >.>;

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Lol probably DSF used SH lasers so he won't get kicked out =P.

another question, how do you register? Do you register via online and stuff.? Or you just go to the tourney, and you sign up bs? If you do sign up, what do you sign up specifically? Like address, phone number etc etc.

sorry these questions finally come to mind after certain time lol >.>;
Most people (at least all of us in the WA area) use allisbrawl for tourneys. People can unofficially sign up early to gauge how many people will make it, but you officially register when you hand the person your money. And you just give them your gamertag, and sometimes your region if they want to keep track of that, nothing more. Its really easy.

And this is a great guide scotu, I really wish I had read this before my first one =/ I remember sitting and watching for hours because I was too nervous to ask for next game, haha.

Top Bottom