• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik DACUS video tutorial

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
Heres a little something I've been working on to help Sheik players learn DACUS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_CHWI4IXSw

Interested in ur input. It shows my personal preference and way of doing it plus a few possible applications.
And if ur a Sheik fan u'll like some of the pics and such i think hehe.

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have to say its the best DACUS tutorial I've seen for that method. Pretty cool.

I still dislike having to change my controller configuration personally, but its good to have an awesome visual for the alternatives in case I ever want to try.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
**** Jackie, great video it looks really well put to gather

...However you seem to forgot punishment in the applications. If someone hits your shield with a dk fsmash or mario fsmash, (I recall there are more but I know those to be guaranteed) then you can drop you sheild into a dacus. It wont be a tipper or anything but if they are at the correct % and spot on the stage it could kill them in a fairly decent %.

I'm pretty sure this is the only 100% guaranteed way of punishing those two attack if they hit your shield but maybe needles work too. I haven't tried those in a while...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Punishing a shielded fsmash from Zelda and Lucario is also very difficult...

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
thx :)
i'll make a note of punishment in the description. And yah i guess needles to DACUS isn't always guaranteed unless u surprise them or maybe they were just off the ground

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Perhaps I should consider changing one of the blocks to attack.

Expect to see this video featured in the guide soon :D

Great use of the animation (forgot the program)

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
yep the idea for the animation was my biggest inspiration for this, thought it would be a great visual model...made it in Maya

ooh awesome :D

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
i was getting a lil board with sheik for a second but for somereason just the awsome ness and good quality of this video has sparked my attention once again!

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
thanks alot guys! got featured on Allisbrawl too ^^

yep put some of those Ocarina of Time screenshots i been saving to good use not to mention the music :p

Violent-nin

Smash Ace
Great video, love the music.

I like to keep my controls on the default setting so I guess I have to use the "Claw" hand position to master DACUS.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
this is so much easier than the up+z bs. the 3d gc controller was awesome!

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i remember that thread, i think it is just a matter of preference really...

got the main applications i think, i could add more to the description if u think theres some other good ones

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
OMG! HAHAH. Great music.

I LOVE THE 3D CONTROLLER AT 2:03!!!!

I love this guide. Too good.

(Too bad I still claw haha. I use R to Shield a lot and I like tap jump >_<)

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i wouldn't recommend leaving tap jump on, i don't like it anyways though heh

so i hope this isn't as secretive anymore, i remember it took me awhile to get it down and mostly on my own...course the hard part was developing it into actual matches and getting somewhat reliable

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Does this work with tap jump on? I know you can do a hyphen smash (w/ control stick) with tap jump on. I've even done run>up+grab for a hyphen smash with tap jump on, so it should work, because it's just adding a dash attack in the middle to get the DACUS, right?
it is possible. I can do it with Default settings but tap jump off makes it easier.
I've even set the attack to Z and my grab to X for some test results.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Does having tap jump on or off even change anything? Besides accidental dairs, the timing should be the same, right?

I do these all the time with tap jump on. My saying is that people who turn off tap jump simply lack control ^_^ (Though I'm probably wrong, I like having that superiority complex.)

I wish I was more consistent with them though... I use both L and R and I don't feel like changing my habits nor my controls just to DACUS more easily... There are so many DACUS opportunities that I simply whiff.

Oh well. I'll get better at it and stick with the claw method :p

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
yeah im gettign proficent at the claw methood i can useally do it like 6-7 times out of ten that way now :]

anyways i think that tap jump makes a big diff because it makes it really hard for you to use sheiks up tilt move fast, beacuse you jump. witch can mess you up if thats not what you plan my idea is that its not so much a lack of control but it is just something that is not ideal to many peoples play styles when you can just hit y or x for jump or any other preference, to me tap jump is a hinderence and is pointless.

but hey w.e

(chok you switched to meta?????? or were you always a meta.... idk hahahah)

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i think its just that with tap jump on theres more ways to mess it up, ur right though the timing should be the same choknater

i can't get used to the claw position myself, seems impractical heh, but to each his own :p

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Tis okay.

Hope this guy doesn't mind that I'm using his virtual GCN controller in my Sheik guide. (It should be up soon.)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I really don't see the point of the claw position. It's umcomfortable and impractical.

If you're going to be DACUSing properly I think it's safe to say you're not going to be spamming it.

I slide my right hand down so my index finger is on the c-stick and my middle finger is on A, with my thumb and ring finger grasping the handle. Works perfectly fine for me and it takes hardly any time to switch positions back and forth.

Anyway, tap jump shouldn't be a problem. If you're having problems with tap jump on then you're doing it wrong anyway, so tap jump off won't help you.

This seems to have gotten seriously overcomplicated.

Right
C-stick down + A (simultaneously will work)
Roll joystick up.

Done.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
There's really no need for a tutorial, or even a pseudo-simple explanation. It's extremely easy. =\

Do a hyphened Usmash. Now do the same the, except hit down on the Cstick in between the dash and the Usmash.

Smash Nub learned DACUS!

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
There's really no need for a tutorial, or even a pseudo-simple explanation. It's extremely easy. =\

Do a hyphened Usmash. Now do the same the, except hit down on the Cstick in between the dash and the Usmash.

Smash Nub learned DACUS!
DO we have n00bs asking how to DACUS sometimes/had n00bs asking?
A: yes

Then this video has purpose.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
DO we have n00bs asking how to DACUS sometimes/had n00bs asking?
A: yes

Then this video has purpose.
Fair enough. I just feel the explanation could be simplified into the above with just as much effectiveness.

EDIT: Oh, also, I saw something a bit off. I'm pretty sure you need to do the down on the Cstick before you press up on the control stick, not after or at the same time. Also, the attack button should be pressed at the same time as the up on the control stick, not after. The reason it probably still works out there is because the timing is so tight that when you accidentally did the DA earlier, you couldn't tell the difference. But the idea of "at the same time" could cause you to do a DA instead. Just my experiences, nothing foolproof, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Feel free to ignore me, it's not like I'm even a Shiek main. =P

sheikintraining

Smash Rookie
This is awesome! I just changed my R to attack and within a few days I've been getting 6/10 DACUS' every match !great video, the controller animation was extremely well done !

Top Bottom