• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Port Forwarding P2P For Dummies

Superstar

Smash Champion
Port Forwarding P2P For Dummies v1

P2P is short for Peer 2 Peer. When it comes to Smash, P2P is the fastest method of online play available. Limited only to 1v1s, it connects both players directly, rather than using a server [such as EGX] as a 3rd party. The result is the lowest delay Smash possible. However, setting up this P2P is a bit tricky, so I hope this clears any confusion you may have. This method is ONLY if you have a router. If you don’t have a router, well…try it anyways. I don’t know what’ll happen. Probably you won’t even need to port forward in the first place.

This is not to teach you how to netplay, this is to go from netplay to P2P. You should already have a working Project64k or Mupen64k. Also, some connections just seem to not work with P2P. Post if you’re having any problems.

If someone actually cares to put this somewhere else, you can, but replace this paragraph with the link to the original article. To prevent people asking me, yadayadayada.

Some Terminology

This is a “dummy’s” guide after all. So, some definitions on complicated material is a must.

Server – A computer that “hosts” something like a website, or, in the case of EGX, hosts connections for both players.

IP Address – Makes one computer different from another. There is a local and an external IP, so if you and your little brother share a router, you’ll both have the same external IP, but different local IPs. You forward a port to your local IP, and give your external IP to your opponents. More on this later. IPs are in the format XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Port – It’s basically a section of your IP. Different internet stuff can be done on different ports. Appears at the end of an IP address like this: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY. Ports don’t have to be 5 numbers, and these are what you are forward, hence “Port” Forwarding”.

Firewall – Like a screening/limiting of your internet connection. Port Forwarding is actually removing the firewall off one port.

Web browser – Many people surprisingly don’t know what this is. It’s what you use to go on the internet, and by default it’s Internet Explorer.

Step 1: Setting up the P2P client

You can’t play P2P right out of the box, so you need to set up the client. I assume you have Project64k. If you have Mupen, the same might apply, unless you have Malva’s build, which already comes with P2P.

Get acquainted with your emulator. Go into your Project64k folder, and look for a file called kailleraclient.dll [.dll might not show up depending on your computer]. If you don’t see it, chances are you DON’T have Project64k, rather Project64, and you should download Project64k [the one WITH netplay]. KailleraClient is what’s loaded when you click netplay, and this needs to be replaced with the P2P client.

You can download the newest P2P here. However, this isn’t the version of P2P most people use, because it doesn’t support normal Kaillera. Rather, use the November client, or the September if that suits your fancy. I provided a link to the November client, and Malva supplied the September one.

November: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5UG0DT5P
September: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MGP9SM0H.

Once you acquire the P2P client, replace the kailleraclient.dll in your Project64 folder with it. Once you start netplay, it should look something like this:

Do not question me on my game choice, I took my little brother’s ROM list.

The use port is what has to be forwarded. Make sure the drop down says “P2P”. If there’s no dropdown, you made a mistake.

Step 2: Forwarding P2P

Chances are, your router has a firewall. Since P2P requires a direct connection, you won’t be able to host a game while this firewall is up. At this point, you can do one of two things. You can turn off your firewall, or you can keep your firewall up and forward a port. Forwarding a port maintains most of your security, so it’s the best option for many. You can also set up a DMZ, but that is outside the scope of this guide. Just know that DMZ disables a firewall for one computer.

Forwarding a port means turning off your firewall for one port, and this is the port you will use for P2P. For now, I will acquaint you with your new best friend. Go into Command Prompt. To open it, go to Start->Run, and type in cmd, or go to Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt. Once you’re in, type in ipconfig /all, and press enter. You’ll get a screen like this:

Will I die for giving my local IP? No.

You need to acquire several IP addresses from this printout. By several, I mean 2. You need to get your router’s IP, which should be next to “Default Gateway”, and your local IP. A local IP differs from an external IP. A Local IP is your address on the local network, and an external IP is your address on the internet. Since port forwarding functions on the local level, you need a local IP. If it offers a choice between IPv4 and IPv6, you need IPv4.

I’m using a wireless network, so my info is under Wireless LAN. Yours might be under Ethernet, which is a wired connection. If you have Hamachi, you’ll see a section called “Ethernet Adaptor Hamachi”. Do NOT get that one. You’ll know it’s Hamachi if the IP is in the format 5.XXX.XXX.XXX.

To actually forward a port, open a Web Browser, type your router’s IP, and then press Enter. You’ll arrive into your router’s settings, and this is where it gets complicated. Every router is different, so you have to find out how to forward your particular router. For this, I recommend this site:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Somewhere on the front page of your router settings, it should say your router’s brand and number. Mine, for example, is a Belkin F5D7231-4. Search for your router on that page, and view the Default Guide, which there should be a link for after you click your router’s page.

There are some things to keep in mind. First, if your router asks for an IP field, it’s your local IP address that it wants. Second, I do not know what P2P requires, TCP or UDP [it does not matter what they mean]. To be safe, forward both, or, if you can only pick one, do a port forward for each. The port to forward is whatever you plan on putting in use port, and for both starting and ending port put the same one. MAKE SURE YOUR SETTING IS ENABLED, save your settings, and you’re done.

Test it out with a buddy. You and your buddy need the same version of P2P, and your buddy needs your external IP. Start up the P2P Client, host, and hit “whatismyip”. Your IP should now appear on the screen, with your port right after, in the format:

X.X.X.X Port

Show it to your friend like this [through any communication method]:

X.X.X.X:port

Your friend needs to connect to you, so make sure he is using the connect tab. If whatismyip is failing, then go this site: http://www.whatismyip.org/, and give it to him in the same format as listed above [just, with the port you forwarded].

If it works, bravo, P2P is set up.

Step 3: Maintenance

Very often, P2P will work one day and fail the next. This usually happens because of a router restart. If that ever happens, check ipconfig /all, and see if your local IP changed. If so, redo Step 2. After a while, this becomes so easy it’s automatic.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Indeed. :D P2P <3 <3 <3

Forgot to mention dynamic IPs. Will show up in v2. For now, just go to whatismyip, and constantly refresh or something. If it changes, well, lol. Really only a problem with Dialup.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
you know you can edit actual text through paint and actual lines to make it more..professional i suppose you could say

We do need this stuff out there though =.=

Superstar

Smash Champion
I got a 400 DPI mouse, so I an't draw smooth lines with pencil tool. Sure, I could have used line tool, but hideous looking text is more lol.

Do you like my pet shark fish?

Superstar

Smash Champion
Hamachi relies on both people installing it. If only one has it, you're screwed. And, it's harder to convince someone to install a program like that, than just join your hosted game. People get too scared about their security.

All that's needed for P2P is just one person to host. So, while it's more work in the beginning, it's easier in the end.

Also, having Hamachi open is just like having an IM open. It adds lag, however small. Hamachi FAKES P2P, that's not real P2P you're using [if it was then it tampers with your firewall and it's not very secure]. Even something small like updating the server list is internet use.

AIM/MSN is a much better tool to start a match anyways. Get Trillian. You can have both AIM and MSN in one client, so it's very convenient.

tl;dr I agree with boom.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Lol the solution for me was that the password for 192.168.0.1 was not nothing, but was "password".

Questions: what does force port mean? The checkbox in the p2p hosting window.
When clicking whatismyip in the hosting window, I get my external ip address with a different port than the one I forwarded and filled in in "use port". However, that one works, but I thought it was weird.

For me it works now, so thank you very much. Sticky plz!

Superstar

Smash Champion
Probably your connection sets a random port, but checking "Force Port" MAKES it use the port you selected. I've never used it, but it might help those connecctions that just pick a random port out of their hat. If more people have that problem, I'll add it to V2.

I don't think it needs to be a sticky. Smash Index, if it's added, is fine. :p

And you're welcome.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
huh, its as hard as doing a double click to open it.

The IP list makes up for this
It's more then double clicking. You've got to make sure others have it, have them join your network, etc.

It's waaay easier to just say "Here 173.22.136.52:27756"

NixxxoN

Smash Master
It's more then double clicking. You've got to make sure others have it, have them join your network, etc.

It's waaay easier to just say "Here 173.22.136.52:27756"

Well, you just open the program, see people who are online there and ask them for playing, thats all.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Well, you just open the program, see people who are online there and ask them for playing, thats all.
That's the very few who actually use hamachi, though. Majority of the people I know of don't use it or even have it. I only have it for games like Melty Blood.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
That's the very few who actually use hamachi, though. Majority of the people I know of don't use it or even have it. I only have it for games like Melty Blood.

Probably in US you have EGX and thats why no one uses it. On the other hand in Europe we have no smash server unfortunately and most of smashers I know use Hamachi.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Because, I didn't know what it was, and I thought "better safe than sorry". XD

The ones I left I'm SURE it doesn't matter that I leave it. Who cares about my local IP? :p

Good to see you in the 64 boards alt. :p

Hamachi I hear is also good for Starcraft, since it produces the least delay there. Secondhand info. :D

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Probably in US you have EGX and thats why no one uses it. On the other hand in Europe we have no smash server unfortunately and most of smashers I know use Hamachi.
Oh, you're in Europe? Ok, I see. I remembered that majority of Euros used Hamachi. Here in the states and Canada, we usually don't O:

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because, I didn't know what it was, and I thought "better safe than sorry". XD

The ones I left I'm SURE it doesn't matter that I leave it. Who cares about my local IP? :p

Good to see you in the 64 boards alt. :p

Hamachi I hear is also good for Starcraft, since it produces the least delay there. Secondhand info. :D
Don't worry, there's nothing on your "ipconfig" screen that can identify you in any meaningful way.

I saw this thread and thought "Hamachi? I thought that was just a Starcraft thing!" lol. I guess I was wrong.

In fact, I wonder if a more general (IE: Not just for smash 64) thread on port forwarding would be helpful in the Light House... hmm...

Superstar

Smash Champion
Hamachi seems to be very popular among the Europeans. :p I still find an IM+Port Forward combo MUCH more helpful though.

I can try to make a more general guide, though, it's pretty hard to make a general guide "for dummies". Or, you can just take this one and adapt. I'm not getting money out of it anyways. I just never venture in the Light House, so I dunno how it is. :D

The only difference would be that there'd have to be much more explanation on ports and port ranges. Step 1 would need to be replaced with that.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Hey I just did this (cause I'm a dummy and was unable to before you made a guide for me) and so I was trying it with wenbo and it works sometimes, but most of the time I get this message

Connection Request from Wenbo Dou (Mupen64K 0.7.9).. Waiting for reconfirmation...

and then nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Superstar

Smash Champion
Well, first, you have the same version of P2P, right? When the Mode is set to P2P, check the date/version at the top. Works better when they're the same. And sometimes, Mupen/PJ just hug up, so you have to completely close it and retry again.

Also, if you have the November version, you have the choice to force port. Dunno how well that'd work, I know nothing about it.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Oh yeh, since some people are picky, I replaced this:

For this:

No I am not changing the style. It's actually meant to be aesthetically childish.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Oh yeh, since some people are picky, I replaced this:

For this:

No I am not changing the style. It's actually meant to be aesthetically childish.
i've been nice about this for too long, it looks like a blind old man did this honestly, i cant even read some of the things (wtf does that say around the F-Zero games O_o)

and the fact that Craiigg didn't request you clean this up shows another slope wheeeeeeeeeee

Who needs quality when you can have nothing :D

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I thought about it and although I use Hamachi i think I will port forward aswell but
I have a few questions: I cant connect directly to port 27886 (so it seems not forwarded yet) and I have not a router but a modem. What can I do to port forward in this case?

craiigg

Smash Lord
i've been nice about this for too long, it looks like a blind old man did this honestly, i cant even read some of the things (wtf does that say around the F-Zero games O_o)

and the fact that Craiigg didn't request you clean this up shows another slope wheeeeeeeeeee

Who needs quality when you can have nothing :D

are you an idiot? he just said he switched them and youre still complaining?

its clear enough to read, what is wrong with oh i dont know NoT BEiNg So SeRiOuS AbOuT eVErY SiNgLe ThInG??!?!

he posts things more informative than your i like to rate myself as a top player posts

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
are you an idiot? he just said he switched them and youre still complaining?

its clear enough to read, what is wrong with oh i dont know NoT BEiNg So SeRiOuS AbOuT eVErY SiNgLe ThInG??!?!

he posts things more informative than your i like to rate myself as a top player posts
sorry i expected you to be serious, being in a seriously poor community, i guess i shouldnt expect our mods to do that though.

and no flame from mods either Craiigg, common man, you should know that

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Surri's view on justice is NEVER wrong.

bow to surri!

Superstar

Smash Champion
<3 All of you. :D

What it said near the F-Zero games was "Pet Fish". I drew a picture of a shark. But I removed it in the newer version. I don't care about polish or finesse in "extra" images, but I DO care if it's readable. Either way though, the top left and top right are bugging me a lot...I'll make it transparent. :D

I thought about it and although I use Hamachi i think I will port forward aswell but
I have a few questions: I cant connect directly to port 27886 (so it seems not forwarded yet) and I have not a router but a modem. What can I do to port forward in this case?
I don't get what you're trying to do. You said you cannot "connect", but, port forwarding is for hosting only. Either way, try the ipconfig /all mentioned, and look for a Default Gateway. See if your modem has it's own "webpage", you never know. If it doesn't, you don't need to do anything, you are auto forwarded. Port Forwarding is a router thing, cause the router is what prevents the P2P. But some Modems double as routers.

And lighten up Surri. No community is perfect, cause no humans are perfect. But, this is better than a whole lot of other communities. Not the greatest, I'll admit, but it's not too horrible by forum standards. But yeh, no worries dood <3

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I don't get what you're trying to do. You said you cannot "connect", but, port forwarding is for hosting only. Either way, try the ipconfig /all mentioned, and look for a Default Gateway. See if your modem has it's own "webpage", you never know. If it doesn't, you don't need to do anything, you are auto forwarded. Port Forwarding is a router thing, cause the router is what prevents the P2P. But some Modems double as routers.
I can't connect or host with 27886 (without Hamachi) and I don't have a router.
It seems you understand about the ports. Can you say a number of port whos always open?
Or can you tell me something that tells me if this port is available or blocked?

vandwedge

Smash Cadet
To actually forward a port, open a Web Browser, type your router’s IP, and then press Enter. You’ll arrive into your router’s settings, and.......
This is how far I got in the directions. When I opened a web browser, typed in my IP, and hit enter, it asked me for a username and password. I tried every combination I could think of that I use for anything, and none of them worked. Does anyone know where I find out that particular username from?

Superstar

Smash Champion
Do you manage the router? You need to ask your father or whomever controls it to give you the pass. If you're in College, you're SOL.

If you didn't add anything, try portforward.com. But they removed the general guide, so click any random game [>_<]

vandwedge

Smash Cadet
OK I figured that part now. Now I'm stuck on this part:

Test it out with a buddy. You and your buddy need the same version of P2P, and your buddy needs your external IP. Start up the P2P Client, host, and hit “whatismyip”. Your IP should now appear on the screen, with your port right after, in the format:

X.X.X.X Port

Send it to your friend like this:

X.X.X.X:port

How do I "send it to my friend"?

Superstar

Smash Champion
Copy Paste. CTRL-C copies, CTRL-V pastes.

Probably I should have mentioned that. Or you can type it letter by letter.

vandwedge

Smash Cadet
OK, I'm new, I do not know what I'm doing. This program's interface is confusing to me.

Where in the window do I paste, or type, my port, so that it is viewable by my friend.

Top Bottom