• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I Am Amazing and You All Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Don't have to be mean to everyone else. I couldn't download the files, but I'm not gonna say they're bad, I expect they're very impressive

DRD

Smash Lord
I'm more interested in the art side of things; I can appreciate the design and the thinking that goes into this but Its just not my cup of tea

That said, good work on a pretty professional look, hope it gets you somewhere

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I really liked it. Seems like you put in a lot of time and effort into it. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm more interested in the art side of things; I can appreciate the design and the thinking that goes into this but Its just not my cup of tea

That said, good work on a pretty professional look, hope it gets you somewhere
To be frank, I wouldn't call a majority of what is on the board "art" so much as people photoshopping pictures and text on top of desktop backgrounds and putting on a bunch of filters for no reason.

I figured this would be better than Ike_Master_43's new sig.

Sliq

Smash Master
Bump because this **** is way better than some ******* ******* signature.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Yea, thats all very impressive and all... you've got a lot of talent. But why exactly have you posted it here? Just to gloat...?

Sure most that post here may not be professionals, but why would they be? they're not doing this for a living, they just do it for fun and thus don't have the time or just don't care enough to invest the ammount of time to get that good.

Don't get me wrong, that portfolio is very good and Im sure its more than most here could achieve... but I really don't it matters that much.

Oh and also... for someone that good, you sure have a crappy sig.

Sliq

Smash Master
Yea, thats all very impressive and all... you've got a lot of talent. But why exactly have you posted it here? Just to gloat...?
I actually did it because I spent about 3 days straight working on it, and was in the process of working for my 5fth day straight (on something else) and felt that I needed to stroke my ego. So, not really to gloat technically, but close enough.

Sure most that post here may not be professionals, but why would they be?
I'm not a professional either. Just because my work looks professional doesn't mean I am. I'm still a student who happens to be awesome.

they're not doing this for a living, they just do it for fun and thus don't have the time or just don't care enough to invest the ammount of time to get that good.
First off, I don't make a living off of this either. I'm a student.

Second, that's bull****. If you don't care enough to invest time in getting good, then posting on this forum is pointless. You post hear to either do what I did, which is definitely asanine. OR you post hear to have your work critiqued. So you are complaining about me doing what other people already do, just to a less "good" extent.

Also, this website is dedicated to people that want to get better at a VIDEO GAME enough to be able to compete well in a tournament. Don't bullshit me and tell me people won't want to get better at something actually worthwhile.

Don't get me wrong, that portfolio is very good and Im sure its more than most here could achieve... but I really don't it matters that much.
Actually, I got this good in about a span of 2 years, so in actuality, if anyone actually gave a ****, they could easily surpass me by the time they are my age (I'm 22). I didn't figure anyone would actually give a ****, but I figured some people might like art enough to consider that as a valid career decision. So I decided to post my portfolio. Also the ego stroking.

Oh and also... for someone that good, you sure have a crappy sig.
Yeah, we can't all crop a desktop background, then crop out the background of a Yoshi picture and lower its opacity (since I'm certain you didn't do a transparency mask), put it over the desktop background we cropped, then put words on it. That is where the REAL skill comes in, not doing hand frame by frame animation.

You guys sure are real pro at doing signatures. Boy, I'm so jealous.

ಠ_ಠ

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
whatever, everyone uses one, even those "artists", who only upload sigs and crap

auroreon

Smash Ace
Haha... oh wow.

Dude... you need to calm down. I didn't even question your artistic ability, infact i stated multiple times that your work is very impressive.
I merely asked why you felt the need to be so arrogant... you could have just displayed your work and asked what people think. Theres no need to be such a **** about it.
As you said yourself... this is a forum about a video game, not a graphic design forum... the people here don't care enough to get that good, they just want to 'stick characters on top of desktop backgrounds'.

And by the way, I didn't make my sig. I know jack **** about how to make sigs, but even I could make a very simple six frame animation...

I'm not saying you don't have talant... I just think you need to chill.

Zeruda

Smash Cadet
Interesting stuff... I've seen a couple of similar ideas elsewhere, though. It's good, but not that impressive. Since it's a portfolio of sorts, I suggest digitally inking your "sketches" a little more smoothly. It'll help, trust me. Going into art fields, it's rare that anybody will appreciate sketchiness unless you're going into fashion design, which obviously, you are not.

Your designs are interesting, and if that's what you plan to do with your life, go for it.... but consider revising your portfolio just a tad. With what you have so far, it's likely that you won't end up in an artistic position of the field you're going for. Instead, you'll more than likely end up in presentation. Unfortunately, the people who design things usually aren't the ones presenting them, so be careful about how you set up your portfolio. Also, I'd suggest something other than a pdf file. Most employers love being able to simply view portfolios via their computers, but they are usually lazy and will skim through anything that requires scrolling. Consider making it a flash video or something similar so that whoever you submit your portfolio to doesn't have to do anything except hit Play.

Good luck with all that. :)

Sliq

Smash Master
whatever, everyone uses one, even those "artists", who only upload sigs and crap
WTF, are you drunk? I wasn't being beligerant in the least. I earnestly recognized that as being a good idea nad then made a joke. l2internet

Dude... you need to calm down. I didn't even question your artistic ability, infact i stated multiple times that your work is very impressive.
I merely asked why you felt the need to be so arrogant... you could have just displayed your work and asked what people think. Theres no need to be such a **** about it.
As you said yourself... this is a forum about a video game, not a graphic design forum... the people here don't care enough to get that good, they just want to 'stick characters on top of desktop backgrounds'.

And by the way, I didn't make my sig. I know jack **** about how to make sigs, but even I could make a very simple six frame animation...

I'm not saying you don't have talant... I just think you need to chill.
I don't think you are familiar with my work. Let me explain.

I troll people.

That took considerably less time then I thought it would...

Quick question: what software do you use to create your renders?
I usually model in 3-D using Alias Studio Tools (2008). That way I can use the geometry to have a physical model CNC'd for presentation purposes, and also use the geometry to render. It's double duty.

I'm not too good at rendering in Alias, so afterwards I take the render into photoshop and add highlights, pump up the contrast, adding parting line highlights and shadows, and various other small details.

Interesting stuff... I've seen a couple of similar ideas elsewhere, though. It's good, but not that impressive. Since it's a portfolio of sorts, I suggest digitally inking your "sketches" a little more smoothly. It'll help, trust me. Going into art fields, it's rare that anybody will appreciate sketchiness unless you're going into fashion design, which obviously, you are not.
It isn't an art major. It's a bachelor in science. Sketches only serve to quickly and clearly show ideas. There are expression sketches, which I don't ever do since it is a waste of time. All of my sketches illustrate the form clearly, and differentiating the line weights adds dynamism and creates dimensionality. Also, I did roughly 50 of those sketches, and I had to do them quickly, so the line weight isn't perfect.

In actuality, loose sketches are preferred over tight ones on the grounds that they illustrate speed and efficiency at describing form, at least when it comes to Industrial Design work. Tight sketches are really only good for exhibiting extreme details or for doing orthographics or exploded views.

In comparison to other Industrial Design portfolios (especially those from Art Center), it isn't that impressive, but it is still beyond the scope of a lot of people here, and I figured if anyone liked art enough to pursue it in a field where finding a job (that is well paying) won't be a hassle. I know a lot of people that graduate with a fine art degree and have a hard time finding a job, which isn't the case for design.

It should be noted that design isn't just drawing pretty things. It almost unanimously revolves around problem solving. It's pretty much why I suck at art in comparison to art majors, and why art majors wouldn't really be suited for design. It's a different skill set (albeit certain products are more sculptural due to the function) that's backed by considerable research, including human factors and ergonomics.

Your designs are interesting, and if that's what you plan to do with your life, go for it.... but consider revising your portfolio just a tad. With what you have so far, it's likely that you won't end up in an artistic position of the field you're going for.
I'm not trying to land an artistic position, I'm trying to land a design position. The 2 are considerably different.

Also, I've already worked in design, first at Lexmark for 6 months, and just recently at Fisher Price for 6 months, and they hired me when my portfolio was considerably worse.

Unfortunately, the people who design things usually aren't the ones presenting them, so be careful about how you set up your portfolio.
Actually, this is very wrong. At the end of every quarter we present our final product, which is a huge part of the final grade. Also, I did multiple presentations to various engineering and marketing people while working at both Lexmark and Fisher Price. Out of curiosity, what are you basing your info off of?

Also, I'd suggest something other than a pdf file. Most employers love being able to simply view portfolios via their computers, but they are usually lazy and will skim through anything that requires scrolling.
Actually, this is wrong too. I did a pdf because I was able to condense all of that info into a 3 mb package, which means that it will take almost no time to load, and when open, there will be almost no delay between images showing up. A flash file, unless hosted on a website, would be considerably larger, and to be frank, flash isn't a necessity at all for the field I'm entering. I'm trying to learn it, though, because I think it is cool.

On a side note, I've visited people's design sites, and all of them tack flash in there like companies tack motion controls into games, and in the end it makes for a frustrating experience, waiting through a bunch of load screens and cool but entirely unnecessary animations, only to be able to view the actual content of their work 5 hours later. Plus, some people like to be cute and make their navigation something novel, which is ok, if it wasn't a complete hassle to use, and in the end no one will view their work and they'll be passed up.

Most of the time, yes, employers will simply skim through, look at all the pretty pictures to see how much talent I have. However, after a brief review, they will almost always take the time to actually go through the portfolio. I know because multiple employers have told me so, including my current professor.

Consider making it a flash video or something similar so that whoever you submit your portfolio to doesn't have to do anything except hit Play.
A video removes the ability of the viewer to control the flow of content at their own pace, which is really a bad idea.

Not to be rude, but where did you get all of these ideas? A lot of them are completely wrong.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I haven't looked at your art but if it's above a stick figure it's better then all the banner wallpaper crap that goes on in here. However, you're a tool and a terrible troll

Sliq

Smash Master
I haven't looked at your art but if it's above a stick figure it's better then all the banner wallpaper crap that goes on in here. However, you're a tool and a terrible troll
A talented tool and troll. Also, I'm pretty decent at smash.

Also:

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
WTF, are you drunk? I wasn't being beligerant in the least. I earnestly recognized that as being a good idea nad then made a joke. l2internet
First, I see at as an insult if you say, that I am drunk while writing if it was an misunderstanding of my words

I meant with whatever: It must not necessarily be paintings and drawings, that can be uploaded on deviantart. There are thousands of categories: traditional drawings, digital drawings, paintings, digital pixel art, design, architecture, literature, 3D rendering, inspiring movies, etc pp.

I also meant, that you could even just concentrate on designs

And last but not least: nearly everyone has an deviantart account: even these people, who just make one to look into private galleries and those who use it as some kind of upload server

I never meant this as an joke

I just asked, so I could see more of your work

maybe my words were not ... appropriated or very well thought of, but yours aren't as well, why should I assume that I suck? And why should I assume, that you could draw better than me?

I am just bored, this is why I wrote so much

Sliq

Smash Master
First, I see at as an insult if you say, that I am drunk while writing if it was an misunderstanding of my words
I did that in response to this:

"Whatever" is never read in any sort of pleasant tone, and brings to mind the valley girls, "Whuuut EVAAAAA."

Secondly, you put "artists" in quotes, which can either be used as a shot at me, since people use quotes to mock others all the time, or the way in which I implied people who make sigs and think they are creating art. I assumed it was the former since your whatever already set the tone of the post.

I meant with whatever: It must not necessarily be paintings and drawings, that can be uploaded on deviantart. There are thousands of categories: traditional drawings, digital drawings, paintings, digital pixel art, design, architecture, literature, 3D rendering, inspiring movies, etc pp.
Most of the time, though, design work is posted in design specific places, such as coroflot. I have never seen any design related work on deviant art, mostly just very badly drawn erotica, and the internet is already flooding with that, and I don't really care to look at it.

Also, deviant design was a joke.

And last but not least: nearly everyone has an deviantart account: even these people, who just make one to look into private galleries and those who use it as some kind of upload server
I don't personally know a single person that has a deviant art account, so I don't feel this generalization really sticks.

maybe my words were not ... appropriated or very well thought of, but yours aren't as well,
Your response was ill worded. My response to your response was not, as it was meant to be negative since I thought you were being dumb, when in reality, you didn't say what you meant.

why should I assume that I suck?
...what?...

And why should I assume, that you could draw better than me?
I assume I can draw better than a lot of people on here, which is really my own shortcoming, so I'll deal with it myself. I never implied any of that. Did you even read my post?

Mith_

Smash Champion
go to page 15 in that portfolio thats sliq in the green shirt playing with kids toys.
on page 24 do you mean third party or third part? and lol at the T_T computer.

yea man that **** was tight very amazing.

Sliq

Smash Master
did you read the title of your thread?
Yes. The title of my thread is obviously not facetious in any way, shape, or form. I am obviously that pompous and arrogant, and this is no way exaggerated to the point of silliness for comedic effect. You are smart.

go to page 15 in that portfolio thats sliq in the green shirt playing with kids toys.
on page 24 do you mean third party or third part? and lol at the T_T computer.

yea man that **** was tight very amazing.
Lol, no it isn't. The only time I'm in the portfolio is for the screen ergonomics for the computer research page.

Also, I'm sure that it is meant to be third party, and I have no idea if I am right or not.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
oh sorry I will stop to have any interest in you, you have won, congratulations

Gflare

Smash Journeyman
You´re good. You´re obviously not gonna be this arrogant and annoying when you´re looking for a job, so I say you have a nice healthy shot at getting yourself a place in the business. Good luck. Just try and lay off the troll mask- many trolls are cool to talk to. Just misunderstood, really. I´m sure you´re gonna start behaving at some point- gluck.

Zeruda

Smash Cadet
It isn't an art major. It's a bachelor in science. Sketches only serve to quickly and clearly show ideas. There are expression sketches, which I don't ever do since it is a waste of time. All of my sketches illustrate the form clearly, and differentiating the line weights adds dynamism and creates dimensionality. Also, I did roughly 50 of those sketches, and I had to do them quickly, so the line weight isn't perfect.

In actuality, loose sketches are preferred over tight ones on the grounds that they illustrate speed and efficiency at describing form, at least when it comes to Industrial Design work. Tight sketches are really only good for exhibiting extreme details or for doing orthographics or exploded views.

In comparison to other Industrial Design portfolios (especially those from Art Center), it isn't that impressive, but it is still beyond the scope of a lot of people here, and I figured if anyone liked art enough to pursue it in a field where finding a job (that is well paying) won't be a hassle. I know a lot of people that graduate with a fine art degree and have a hard time finding a job, which isn't the case for design.

It should be noted that design isn't just drawing pretty things. It almost unanimously revolves around problem solving. It's pretty much why I suck at art in comparison to art majors, and why art majors wouldn't really be suited for design. It's a different skill set (albeit certain products are more sculptural due to the function) that's backed by considerable research, including human factors and ergonomics.

I'm not trying to land an artistic position, I'm trying to land a design position. The 2 are considerably different.

Also, I've already worked in design, first at Lexmark for 6 months, and just recently at Fisher Price for 6 months, and they hired me when my portfolio was considerably worse.

Actually, this is very wrong. At the end of every quarter we present our final product, which is a huge part of the final grade. Also, I did multiple presentations to various engineering and marketing people while working at both Lexmark and Fisher Price. Out of curiosity, what are you basing your info off of?

Actually, this is wrong too. I did a pdf because I was able to condense all of that info into a 3 mb package, which means that it will take almost no time to load, and when open, there will be almost no delay between images showing up. A flash file, unless hosted on a website, would be considerably larger, and to be frank, flash isn't a necessity at all for the field I'm entering. I'm trying to learn it, though, because I think it is cool.

On a side note, I've visited people's design sites, and all of them tack flash in there like companies tack motion controls into games, and in the end it makes for a frustrating experience, waiting through a bunch of load screens and cool but entirely unnecessary animations, only to be able to view the actual content of their work 5 hours later. Plus, some people like to be cute and make their navigation something novel, which is ok, if it wasn't a complete hassle to use, and in the end no one will view their work and they'll be passed up.

Most of the time, yes, employers will simply skim through, look at all the pretty pictures to see how much talent I have. However, after a brief review, they will almost always take the time to actually go through the portfolio. I know because multiple employers have told me so, including my current professor.

A video removes the ability of the viewer to control the flow of content at their own pace, which is really a bad idea.

Not to be rude, but where did you get all of these ideas? A lot of them are completely wrong.
I get my "ideas" from my success in life at a very young age. I'm only 21 now, and I got into my career at 19. My input is just a suggestion. I still recommend staying as far away from a .pdf file or anything that forces your viewer to scroll. Flash is only a suggestion- there are, obviously, alternatives. Consider one with voice, and they won't have to worry about the speed of the flow of content. Another idea that's becoming popular is the "web page" style of profile. Create a simple layout (or download a template if you're not familiar with such things) and put all the information in a single frame with a "next" button in it. That way, all the have to do is click, and the continued text (or images) is displayed in the same frame while the remainder of the page remains the same. I still have to disagree on sketches. Almost everybody will view them as sloppy and unprofessional. You'll be lucky if you can find an employer who likes it... but when it comes to your career, it's not a smart idea to chance it. But that's just from my experience. I understand you're trying to land a design position, but that's not exactly what your porfolio gives off....

As far as my ideas being wrong, I'd have to disagree. I mean, I got in with Capcom, SNK, and IGN, all which were impressed with how well my portfolio was put together and how simple it was for them to review. Oh, and I never even went to school for it! +1 for me. But enough of my own gloating, continue with yours. It's good that you feel accomplished- I commend that. Like I said, I'm only giving you suggestions. Take what you will from them, and do your best to follow your own path and succeed. I wish you the best of luck in landing a job/career- maybe you'll become rich and famous. :)

Sliq

Smash Master
I get my "ideas" from my success in life at a very young age. I'm only 21 now, and I got into my career at 19.
Would you care to elaborate? Like what you happen to do, and what education you have? I'm just sort of looking for a reason to believe you are a credible source of information.

I'll start. You've already seen my portfolio (I worked at Lexmark and Fisher Price), and I currently attend the University of Cincinnati, which has been ranked as the second best school in the US for Industrial Design.

My input is just a suggestion.
And my response was my reasoning to disagree with your suggestions.

I still recommend staying as far away from a .pdf file or anything that forces your viewer to scroll.
What scrolling are you talking about? When I open it, I just hit the left or right arrow and it jumps pages. No scrolling involved. I don't know where you get scrolling from. Also, just so you know, every student in the ID program sends pdf portfolios. I didn't just decide to make it in Indesign and export it as a pdf for shits and giggles.

Flash is only a suggestion- there are, obviously, alternatives. Consider one with voice, and they won't have to worry about the speed of the flow of content.
I don't understand how audio doesn't have the same exact problems as video, except its an inferior means of communicating my work when all of my work is very visually oriented.

Another idea that's becoming popular is the "web page" style of profile.
Here's a point that I can agree with you on. Yes, web sites are an excellent way of displaying your work.

I still have to disagree on sketches. Almost everybody will view them as sloppy and unprofessional.
Weird how I landed 2 internships with my sloppy and unprofessional sketches. I guess my employers weren't as knowledgeable when it comes to design as you. =/

Disagree all you want, I'm surrounded by loose sketching all the time and have been TAUGHT to be more loose and dynamic with my sketching.

I understand you're trying to land a design position, but that's not exactly what your porfolio gives off....

As far as my ideas being wrong, I'd have to disagree.
Disagree all you want, but you might want to provide reasons why you think you are right, as opposed to just dropping one liners.

I mean, I got in with Capcom, SNK, and IGN, all which were impressed with how well my portfolio was put together and how simple it was for them to review.
I have no idea what you do, or what you did for them, but Capcom, SNK, and IGN (IGN is made of failure, but that's not your fault) don't manufacture products, they create software. ****, IGN doesn't even make anything, they just report shit.

If you had some sort of design background then I might be more inclined to take your word for it.

Also, if at all possible, it would be very worthwhile to view your portfolio so I actually know what you do.

Oh, and I never even went to school for it!
Ok, well I suppose that answers part of my original query.

+1 for me.
Yeah, higher learning is for faggots.

But enough of my own gloating, continue with yours.
It is pretty impressive to gloat about something without actually showing what you're gloating about or providing any sort of proof that your gloating isn't complete BS.

"Not to brag or anything, but I had dinner with Jesus...ON THE MOON!"

Also, it is about time the spot light is back on me.

Like I said, I'm only giving you suggestions.
And I'm refuting why your suggestions are not good ideas. What you are supposed to do is provide reasons why your suggestions are indeed good ideas, or at least acknowledge what I said and counter argue it, as opposed to posting your first response again.

I'd be happy to take your advice, but everything you've said is contrary to everything I have experienced both in school and in the workforce, and I'm going to trust my own personal experiences over someone on the internet who has given me no reason to take them seriously.

I wish you the best of luck in landing a job/career- maybe you'll become rich and famous. :)
I don't really care about that. I just want to draw shit.

I really get annoyed when people think girls don't play video games, or that the ones that do are the ugly ones. For example, I work at GameStop.

I work at GameStop.

work at GameStop.

GameStop.
GG NO RE.

****, you and your no college must really be working out for you really well. Maybe someday you'll be manager! What an exciting day that will be!

Apparently you were also in the army for something. I didn't know the army needed people with fine arts "experience."

Man, I posted a gillion pictures. My favorite is Dr. Cox. He's dancing.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
so sliq isn't really trolling, he actually posted something that had to do with art.
If you guys were really cool, you wouldn't get offended you would just find someone who knows alot about this type of **** and have him critique sliqs work, and nitpick at the tiny little errors (if there are any).

soap

Smash Hero
when this thing had five responses over the course of a week, then i saw it had 30 i figured some kind of argument had broken out.

sliq u are annoying online haha

DRD

Smash Lord
To be frank, I wouldn't call a majority of what is on the board "art" so much as people photoshopping pictures and text on top of desktop backgrounds and putting on a bunch of filters for no reason.

I figured this would be better than Ike_Master_43's new sig.
I don't mean to imply that "art" is what is on these boards. I mean the fine arts; oil painting, draftsmanship.

In the past I sigged well but I never called those art

I suppose they could be, like my signature atm

But I don't refer to them as such

I am less fortunate than you; I aspire to study painting at an atelier; portraits and figure studies every day. Design is less important; the field of design, however, is much easier to make cash in.
I'm sure you know the state of the art world at the moment; artists like the ones I idolize are not doing well. Long ago, realism was the preferred means of communicating ideas though art. Not anymore.
Though there does seem to be a subtle tendency of returning to tradition. I see it in the steadily lowering sales of the art giants of today.

I could go into the field of design, but...I dunno.

Also, I think you're over-reacting to the others just a tad (read: a lot) even if they are mistaken

On the subject of loose sketches
They are not unprofessional. Anyone can draw tight and be accurate. Accurate and quick is much more difficult; it shows control of the medium and good knowledge of the subject. They're a lot more interesting to look at anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom