• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHY DOES MK's up B go really low sometimes in the air

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
sometimes I shuttle loop in the air and it goes much lower than it should normally like I go downwards or start from lower than I should normally. It doesn't happen often (like 1% of the time?) but it's happened countless times over the months and I don't know why or how to prevent it

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Are you using up-B while raising in the air? How about while falling?

Where you just coming out of hitstun (but not knockback)?

Did you use it right after jumping?

After a certain jump (eg; after your last jump)?

Do you have any ideas on what could have caused this?

Were you holding down or up right after the animation (so you're actual glide may have made you percieve the actual shuttle loop as "lower" when it wasn't)

I need things to test before I can give you an answer. If you help me narrow it down, the quicker I can try to test.

Also, try to describe "much lower" using Mario stacked on eachother if you can. =p

(eg; About 3 Mario's lower then normal)

SuSa

That narrows it down to up or down momentum, most likely up momentum having some strange affect, or a certain frame in a jump... (doubtful for the latter)

Assuming what you say is true.

I wish M2K would answer my questions.....

Also, about how much shorter would you say it is? (refer to the end of my first post in this thread)

SuSa

Say's he's viewing index at the time of your post. I would assume so.

EDIT: Now he's viewing this thread xD

Okay, 3 mario's is noticeable. :) I can setup a standard and try to recreate this (in 12 and a half hours when I get back from school)

Thanks for helping.

SuSa

I have a feeling it has to do with rising momentum.

Oh, if only it weren't 2:23 am right now.....I would be testing this xD

M2K, if you're able to test it right now (lol, idk you're schedule..) try testing it with a jump+Up-B at the near same time (sort of like a PK Jump with Ness), then a jump quickly followed by an up-B (Like a DAC with new commands? lmao), then a jump later followed by an up-b. See if you get what has happened to you.

I have reason to believe it has to do with upwards momentum.

/I have school in 5 hours -_-

SuSa

I normally see M2K in vids using it with down momentum, or a bit after a jump. He may rarely notice it because he's not jumping then up-B'ing immediatly, or quickly after like you say you do. (if I'm remembering anything I've seen of M2K....lol maybe I should go watch some?)

He says rarely, you say roughly 50% of the time. You say you pretty much always jump then up-b, which could contribute to your dramatic increase of having this happen to you.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Do you think it may be affected like other characters recovery moves like Snake's and Pit's ^B? What I mean by this is that do you think that you should jump before you use it or have you already tried that? Yeah, I'm beginning to notice this too. I try to ^B back to stage and sometimes I notice that I'm at a lower height than usual when I try to grab the ledge and fall. (Which sucks. :( ) I might test this out too. I still don't have school yet! =D

OMG! 100th post for me! H*** YEAH!

Master Raven

Smash Master
That's odd. This has never happened to me once ever.

To be honest though I think whoever play-tested this game should be shot.

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
If you are below the stage (offscreen), you will do a lower Shuttleloop than you should. I know that u cant see MK, but I can feel where he is and that the shuttleloop is shorter. Kinda like with Pits arrowloops. (you see them in your head).

SuSa

@Tonsana

I think thats just you, hack your game and screw with the game camera to see for yourself.

@Calibur

What makes you think its stage specific? "lol, lets nerf his recovery only on battlefield!" :/ possibly, but bad theory.

@Magikguy

HAHA!

_________

I'll get to testing when I don't feel like throwing up.

Tero.

Smash Champion
What makes you think its stage specific? "lol, lets nerf his recovery only on battlefield!" :/ possibly, but bad theory.
What about moving stages e.g. stages with upwards movement? (are there any?)
But i think that theory is kinda unlikely.

SuSa

i didnt only think of rc only, more like platform who move up.
Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJl5fOnxIcs its melee, but you can see of what stuff im thinking about.

but as i said its unlikely, there are def better theories, i just thought i mention it.
Find a tourney legal stage in Brawl that moves or has a rising/lowering platform.

All neutrals - off that list
RC - moves
Luigi's Mansion - has small platforms that move a bit ( I do believe )

SuSa

I tested for roughly an hour, it could just be me but I think I finally got something (last thing I bothered to test)

Using Up Air, then mashing up-B afterwards seems to make you go lower. I could just be seeing things...

EDIT____
1 more thing that seems to make you go lower:

Using up-B while falling (and since I'm using TJ Off, I use Uair and fall a tiny bit before the up-B)

I feel downwards momentum counteracts the upwards momentum up-B gives you.

I did a quick control for the downards momentum, marking a certain point of the stage with a small thing of duct tape.

When I got below that point, I would Jump then up-B, I would LIVE AND GRAB THE EDGE.

When I jumped off of the low platform of battlefield, and up-B'd as I hit that point, I WAS TO LOW AND DIED

SuSa

It would help me if people double checked my work.

Here's how to do the control:

Pick a certain point to use Up-B (MAKE SURE TO JUMP FIRST) that you can make it to the ledge 9/10 tries.

Using that point, use either of the 2 lower platforms on BF to jump down to that point. As you reach that point, use up-B to try and reach the edge.

If done correctly, the falling up-B shouldn't make it.

Test it multiple times, then test from that same spot, the jump>Up-B.

If my testing is true, heres a tip for recovering:

ALWAYS save your final jump to use before up-B. Or at least use Up-B while you're not falling <.<

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i know what m2k is talking about the hsuttle loop is kidna like slow and lower then normal. its a werid glitch thanks to the havokk system and i am not sure hwo to recreate its just buggy *** physics but m2k should be able to figure this out with some of that genious u always do to figure these things out

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
I've had this happen when I use shuttle loop after an edge-grab (with intention to hit the foe, land on the stage, cancel and continue). Havokk's explanation works there too because if I were to create the proper fast falling conditions (i hit down to ledge-release), I would not come back up to edge level to land. (actually, I'm too low to regrab the edge even. I also don't hit my opponent either).

Anyways, just thought I'd throw in my experience with the phenomena to back up Havokk's results.

-Kenpachi

Deoxys

Smash Lord
That's odd. This has never happened to me once ever.

To be honest though I think whoever play-tested this game should be shot.
Actually, what happened is the playtesters told Sakurai the game was buggy and he was like, "**** it, I'm releasing this game!"

That said, I get this too, but I've only noticed in with aerial SLs. Does it happen w/ both?

Havokk, does it only happen when falling or only when fast falling or both?

Top Bottom