• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Marth

TheFast

Smash Lord
So me and my friend realized something about Yoshi thats amazing against Marth.

First of all you need to understand Marth. His range is huge. But this is also a flaw. His arms are part of his body. When he swings his sword half of his range is his arm. After the swing Marth will plunge his shoulder forward. So if only Yoshi had something that could reach just past his sword to his arm, or if you time it wrong catch his shoulder while staying out of Marth's range.
Yoshi's Neutral B? Does it finally have a good use? With the correct space you can keep Marth at bay with just your Neutral B. Now you need to know how to use it.

A marth is gonna be trying to tipper and because of their range they kinda like to throw attacks out and if they miss back it up with another attack. So you should already be almost out of their range when they are attacking you. Just wait for the attack to start than try and neutral b his sword. If you time it during his attack you will grab is arm. If you are a little slow you will grab his shoulder that he shoves forward. It will take some practice but it is defiantly usable in this match-up.

Moves to watch out for:

Forward Smash doesnt shove his shoulder where you would be using neutral b so this move is better to just dash grab the after lag.

Side-b Multi hits with varying range better to just get away and maybe punish with an egg.

Nair is tricky to learn the timing to catch is arm. I dont think its worth it wait for Fair.

Fair is the easyest of all the moves to catch.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
If this has not been posted on the one match-up thread on the Marth board, go put it there.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Yoshi's Neutral B? Does it finally have a good use? With the correct space you can keep Marth at bay with just your Neutral B. Now you need to know how to use it.
don't you love how non-yoshis think that egg lay is completely useless and then try to come up with something completely random to make up for it, in just one instance?

TheFast

Smash Lord
Not just one instance >___< It does it for chasing fairs, and most of his other moves if you learn the timing. It works great when they try to chase with fairs.
I play a good yoshi player. Hes done it at tourneys and it seems to work well for him because he knows what hes doing, he doesn't have a smashboards so I thought I would share it. You could tell me why you think it wouldn't work aka what you think marths are doing wrong when playing him. The fact that it give Yoshi an edge to outrange marth is a verry good thing.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Not just one instance >___< It does it for chasing fairs, and most of his other moves if you learn the timing. It works great when they try to chase with fairs.
I play a good yoshi player. Hes done it at tourneys and it seems to work well for him because he knows what hes doing, he doesn't have a smashboards so I thought I would share it. You could tell me why you think it wouldn't work aka what you think marths are doing wrong when playing him. The fact that it give Yoshi an edge to outrange marth is a verry good thing.
you stated that there's "finally a use for it?" when people made olimar look like **** for a short while b/c of egg lay to dsmash.... it sounds pretty revolutionary, yet hard to time correctly, so i like it; i just don't like your choice of words. XD

TheFast

Smash Lord
you stated that there's "finally a use for it?" when people made olimar look like **** for a short while b/c of egg lay to dsmash.... it sounds pretty revolutionary, yet hard to time correctly, so i like it; i just don't like your choice of words. XD
Ohh. Sorry about that. But really next time a marth try to chase with fair egg lay them. ^_^

Top Bottom