• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drill Rush Momentum Cancel and Glide Momentum Cancel!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I remember I was in a match, and I got hit by DK's F-smash, I was using MK and was around 130% on Final Destination, while getting F-smashed in the middle of the stage. But I survived the hit! Here is what I did...

Step 1: Use MK's Up-air, while fast falling down toward the stage.

Step 2: Use Drill Rush and it will cancel the rest of the momentum.

It's like the same application as G&W N-air, fastfall, and empty bucket to make G&W to live longer.

The bad part of this is that MK will be in free fall animation, but you will survive longer.

Yeah, when it comes to canceling air momentum for MK, his best option is to:

Fast fall Uair + >B

However, this method above me is quite situational as you are left in a helpless state and are vulnerable to attacks as you try to get back to stage. Therefore, MK's next best method for canceling air momentum is to:

Fast fall Uair + Jump + glide.

This method is safer to use as it won't leave you in a helpless state, but the first method cancels air momentum faster than the second one. IMO, I personally think that the second option should be used unless a situation arises where you can use the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx3ixgO_i8o
At 3:56 it explains and gives you an example of the drill rush momentum cancel.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Can you make it back to the ledge lol? If not GG , getting edge hogged sucks.
You can make it back because your usually at the very corner of the screen when you get knocked off. The only problem is that you will be susceptible to hits from your opponent while your free falling back to the stage.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Drill Rush slows your momentum but doesn't stop it like Bucket Braking does; it'll save you for about an extra 10-15% (don't quote me on that, I haven't tested the number). The problem is that you're left in a very prone position and it's nearly impossible to recover afterwards since they can just hit you again and typically kill you. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now and it's only saved me once so far on Delfino (big flat area with the umbrellas), but hey if it makes you live longer then go for it.

I haven't gotten to try it in teams yet, but I could definitely see someone surviving for a long, long time by using this in teams where your partner can hit you.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Drill Rush slows your momentum but doesn't stop it like Bucket Braking does; it'll save you for about an extra 10-15% (don't quote me on that, I haven't tested the number). The problem is that you're left in a very prone position and it's nearly impossible to recover afterwards since they can just hit you again and typically kill you. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now and it's only saved me once so far on Delfino (big flat area with the umbrellas), but hey if it makes you live longer then go for it.

I haven't gotten to try it in teams yet, but I could definitely see someone surviving for a long, long time by using this in teams where your partner can hit you.
Yeah, I know what you mean. But would this work for shuttle loop instead of drill rush? I don't see why not, and shuttle loop has a faster start up time and your not helpless, since you can glide right back to the stage.

Up-Air + fastfall to the stage + Shuttle Loop = Surviving even longer while preventing the helpless animation that drill rush would cause after use. I can see this helping MK alot.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, when it comes to canceling air momentum for MK, his best option is to:

Fast fall Uair + >B

However, this method above me is quite situational as you are left in a helpless state and are vulnerable to attacks as you try to get back to stage. Therefore, MK's next best method for canceling air momentum is to:

Fast fall Uair + Jump + glide.

This method is safer to use as it won't leave you in a helpless state, but the first method cancels air momentum faster than the second one. IMO, I personally think that the second option should be used unless a situation arises where you can use the first one.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I updated info on the first post. The Up-air + Fast falled to stage + Glide seems to be alot more useful since you won't be helpless after drill rush.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
seems useful, but it puts you in a vulnerable position so...:\ if it worked with shuttle loop...
It does, it's in the video...

Interestingly, SL is better than glide in terms of survivability, don't glide down so fast like in the video, though.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Interestingly, SL is better than glide in terms of survivability, don't glide down so fast like in the video, though.
Uh, I think that jumping into a glide is better than using the ^B to get into a glide because when I did use MK's ^B, I was still rising towards the ceiling and eventually, MK vanished off the screen. (MK didn't get KO'd however.) Although, when I jumped into a glide, MK didn't rise compared to when I used the ^B after a Uair. Also, MK was still visible on the screen when I jumped THEN did a glide. FYI, practically almost all character's ^B moves give them that 'boost' when used which can kill them. Also if it did successfully work, you are only limited to gliding back toward the stage which is fairly easy for your opponents to attack you out of. Therefore, you'll have to mindgame your opponent to get around them because you can't use ANY of your jumps and you're limited to 1 attack which can't protect you too well from below. IMO, I still think that Uair + Jump + Glide should be used when canceling air momentum with MK.

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
+1 atria, I do exactly the same when it comes to momentum cancel (the fast fall uair+glide thing).

But, if you use the ^b, don't you die then? Because the ^b makes mk go backward...

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Fast Falling actually isn't the best idea all of the time. If you're knocked to the side it's better to DI up and towards the stage while using the C Stick to do your up air. This increases the overall area you have to cover before you reach the blast zone, which increases the longevity of a stock. Fast Falling downward makes this kinda hard :(

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
Fast falling should only be used when you are afraid that you will get killed by the vertical blastzone. There isn't reall any point to ff if you got hit to the side.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
guys if u get with an fsmash u know is gonna kill then just drill rush to save yourself. give it the chance ur opponent will miss hit u outa free fall something like that. cuz otherswise ur gonna loose that stock anyway O.o

or just come back fresh and **** lol

Atria

Smash Journeyman
But, if you use the ^b, don't you die then? Because the ^b makes mk go backward...
It can kill you depending on your %. Also if you have tap jump on, this will increase the risk of you KO'ing yourself even more because if you accidentally jump from trying to ^B, you'll gain some height. ^B immediately after that accidental jump and you'll go up even higher resulting with most of the time, a KO'd MK. I wouldn't use the ^B at all to get into a glide.

Fast falling should only be used when you are afraid that you will get killed by the vertical blastzone. There isn't realyl any point to ff if you got hit to the side.
Fast Falling actually isn't the best idea all of the time. If you're knocked to the side it's better to DI up and towards the stage while using the C Stick to do your up air. This increases the overall area you have to cover before you reach the blast zone, which increases the longevity of a stock. Fast Falling downward makes this kinda hard :(
Eh, I'm kinda neutral on this. Sometimes I fast fall and other times I don't. I guess it depends on the attack, how well I DI'd and my %. Probably for another fact that gliding works well for me most of the time when it comes to canceling air momentum with MK which causes me to fast fall or not. I guess it's up to personal preference on this for most people ATM including me. I think I'll eventually find a method which suits me the most sooner or later.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Uh, I think that jumping into a glide is better than using the ^B to get into a glide because when I did use MK's ^B, I was still rising towards the ceiling and eventually, MK vanished off the screen. (MK didn't get KO'd however.) Although, when I jumped into a glide, MK didn't rise compared to when I used the ^B after a Uair. Also, MK was still visible on the screen when I jumped THEN did a glide. FYI, practically almost all character's ^B moves give them that 'boost' when used which can kill them. Also if it did successfully work, you are only limited to gliding back toward the stage which is fairly easy for your opponents to attack you out of. Therefore, you'll have to mindgame your opponent to get around them because you can't use ANY of your jumps and you're limited to 1 attack which can't protect you too well from below. IMO, I still think that Uair + Jump + Glide should be used when canceling air momentum with MK.
Dude, watch the video. Imagine if he didn't start angling the glide downwards. It's clear that it's better. If you jump when you hit up by accident, then yes, it would be worse.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Interestingly, SL is better than glide in terms of survivability.
Umm... I tested out to see if Mk's ^B was any better than Mk jumping into a glide. In terms of survivability yes the ^B is better, but only by a 2% difference from what I got. So overall, I don't think it really matters about which one you use. However, if people use tap jump or if they DI'd close to the ceiling, I probably wouldn't use the ^B but rather, people should use Mk's jump into a glide instead. However if you aren't close to the ceiling, by all means use the ^B. But remember: if you use the ^B to cancel air momentum, your chances of returning to the stage are limited because you can't use any jumps until you land and you're limited to using 1 attack to protect yourself. If you use the Jump + glide however, you won't be limited as you won't go into a fall special if you cancel your glide. Once Mk is at 116%, use the ^B. However, if it's 118% or higher, you'll be screwed either way unless is you use >B.

I guess a way to sum up this up is that canceling air momentum more easily comes a cost of losing a variation of ways to return to the stage much more easily and more smoothly.

Imagine if he didn't start angling the glide downwards.
This is true. People, DON'T ANGLE YOUR GLIDE TRAJECTORY IF YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO CANCEL AIR MOMENTUM! OTHERWISE, YOU'LL GET KO'D IF YOU DO SO! Well not literally, but it'll be easier for Mk to get KO'd from his opponent at higher %'s. This will occur if you angle Mk's glide while at the same time, you are trying to cancel Mk's air momentum. Either if you are using his ^B or jump + glide to cancel air momentum, it'll still have the same result so DON'T ANGLE IT! Until Meta Knight starts gliding fowards, don't angle the trajectory your glide. This is because it pushes Meta Knight back slightly. Once he starts moving foward, THEN YOU CAN ANGLE YOUR GLIDE TRAJECTORY!

Question.... won't you have to jump first before gliding?
For the Jump + Glide, first initiate a Uair then press and hold X (That's my jump button.) to jump and then glide immediately after jumping once. FYI, this will cause Mk to jump ONCE then glide. If you are asking about the ^B, Mk does a glide AUTOMATICALLY after he finishes the attack.

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
This is true. People, DON'T ANGLE YOUR GLIDE TRAJECTORY IF YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO CANCEL AIR MOMENTUM! OTHERWISE, YOU'LL GET KO'D IF YOU DO SO! Well not literally, but it'll be easier for Mk to get KO'd from his opponent at higher %'s. This will occur if you angle Mk's glide while at the same time, you are trying to cancel Mk's air momentum. Either if you are using his ^B or jump + glide to cancel air momentum, it'll still have the same result so DON'T ANGLE IT! Until Meta Knight starts gliding fowards, don't angle the trajectory your glide. This is because it pushes Meta Knight back slightly. Once he starts moving foward, THEN YOU CAN ANGLE YOUR GLIDE TRAJECTORY!
Thanks, I always angled it downward before :s .

Top Bottom