• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need Yoshi Players Help

TheFast

Smash Lord
Ok here is whats going on.

Can any of you truly say there is any projectile that helps a character more than Diddy's bananas help Diddy?
I didn't think so.
Yoshis Eggs they help him live.

I hope you're not serious.
Yoshi rarely even needs his eggs to get back to the stage.
On the other hand, a Diddy who doesn't use many bananas will NEVER get far in tournaments.
Umm its the other way around with good Yoshi players. They rarely need their 2nd jump. Eggs are the 1st line of recovery and if you are going to use Yoshis 2nd jump its better to be close to the stage so when you airdodge your 2nd jump you can do it safely to the stage. 2nd jump is always supose to be a last resort or to chase people to the top of the screen for low % kills. Plus its got the accuracy thing. Retz ( i cant spell it.) And yoshi can throw up to 3 eggs from the side of the stage. So yah I think eggs help yoshi more than nanners help Diddy. t3h 3><pl0d3
Wrong.

Eggs are rarely necessary. Yoshi's usually recover with their 2nd jump, then down B to quickly grab the edge. Sometimes they use the 2nd jump to return to the stage since they can recover high and it is not easily punishable. Then you can't even approach well with eggs and eggs don't fend off the opponent easily either. Eggs are NOWHERE NEAR as important as bananas are to Diddy. Diddy's entire technical game and viability comes from how well he can use and abuse his nanerz.
I beg to differ I think eggs are a major part of Yoshi's game. *goes to the Yoshi boards*

And here I am. I want to get some Yoshi players opinions. Ill admit im wrong but this is just what I always thought back when I mained Yoshi. Has something changed it.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I use eggs pretty mush the whole match exceptionally when recovering obviously the guy Mr. E has no clue what he is talking about so ignore him

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Mister E is right that you rarely need eggs to recover safely. However, Yoshi eggs are extremely vital to his game, and he would be a lot more helpless without him. I'm tempted to say Diddy's bananas are more useful, however, since a Diddy without bananas would fare a lot more poorly than a Yoshi without eggs.

TheFast

Smash Lord
The recovery thing was my main question. I can see diddy needing bannanas more than Yoshi needs eggs. But the quest was tittled "best projectile" I still think yoshis eggs are better than nanners.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Don't get me wrong. A lot of Yoshi players DO use Egg Toss Jumps to recover, but that's more effective as a mindgame than a recovery technique. Like 29 times out of every 30, it's better to just recover high and drop down.

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
I hafta agree, Diddy's nanners are a lot better than Yoshi's eggs, but as far as eggs being useless, that's ridiculous. Either he has played against some terrible Yoshis, or has played against some amazing ones that use strange and marvelous techniques.
(Also, Yoshi will get a vertical boost for 5 eggs, not 3)

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Eggs do help recovery (stalling, keeping opponents from carrying out their gimp plans) but Diddy without bananas is just bad. Pretty much everything thing he does revolves around bananas.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
I also like hitting my opponent with eggs while recovering
is fun
and i like how they keep falling for it

is a banana considered a proyectile?
i thought it was a helping item
not a proyectile
seeing as diddy doesnt shoot bananas
and you can use it against him at times

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Let's not get overly literal, here. For the intents and purposes of a fighting game, it's a projectile.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Don't get me wrong. A lot of Yoshi players DO use Egg Toss Jumps to recover, but that's more effective as a mindgame than a recovery technique. Like 29 times out of every 30, it's better to just recover high and drop down.
Really? Wouldn't that put Yoshi in a harder position to defend himself, with the opponent below him? While I wouldn't say the double jump is "rarely needed," as you do need it pretty often to air dodge past the opponent, and because egg tosses are sometimes not enough to even reach the ledge themselves, I more or less agree with Fastyouwish937 on this sentence:

Eggs are the 1st line of recovery and if you are going to use Yoshis 2nd jump its better to be close to the stage so when you airdodge your 2nd jump you can do it safely to the stage.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Really? Wouldn't that put Yoshi in a harder position to defend himself, with the opponent below him? While I wouldn't say the double jump is "rarely needed," as you do need it pretty often to air dodge past the opponent, and because egg tosses are sometimes not enough to even reach the ledge themselves, I more or less agree with Fastyouwish937 on this sentence:
Not at all. Due to Yoshi's superior aerial mobility, it's a lot safer to go up and dodge down. The only real options against it are a shallow interception or waiting on the ground with an attack, hoping they mistime their dodge. There's a lot more options against Yoshi players that recover low.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
Well i must say i have fought Diddy players who dont use their bannanas that much they only
stat using them when they get desperate or are ahead of the fight, this however is adouble edge
sword since you can use it aggaints them, i literly have made a diddy mainer stop using them
because i was killing him with his own weapon, wich surprisingly started kicking my butt
since he started focusing on diddys combos and mindgames inseatd of trying to trip me

but i must admit i do use my eggz for both offensive and when recovering i do hink
there essential for my mind game to recover but other than that i dont usually use them on the
ground or in close range it gets me more punished, while diddy can pull one out and carry it him just
waiting when to slug it at you wich will del serious damage....unless the diddy maineris sloppy XD

D

Deleted member

Not at all. Due to Yoshi's superior aerial mobility, it's a lot safer to go up and dodge down. The only real options against it are a shallow interception or waiting on the ground with an attack, hoping they mistime their dodge. There's a lot more options against Yoshi players that recover low.
I almost never recover up, being above people is dumb.

Recover low ftw.

Bwett

Smash Ace
I almost never recover up, being above people is dumb.

Recover low ftw.
I agree. There are only a few situations where you should ever recover high. If Yoshi had a better move that could protect him from below then it would be better, but as it stands, he has much more options from recovering low and saving the jump only when needed. I skimmed the OP, and it looks like what was said about saving the jump and using it only in specific situations is spot-on.

Furthermore, Yoshi goes much faster horizontally with his airdodge than down with it. He is just a sitting duck. It's better to grab the ledge, ETS, drop to DJ options, along with others. If you recover high and use your jump, a well placed grab will toss you off the stage with NO jump and thats when you are screwed.

EDIT: As a small amount of evidence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sy3aMBr0jE&feature=channel_page
Watch the loss of the second stock :)

D

Deleted member

^This

Bwett, go on the chat more, or at least aim =P

I needz assistance

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yes, and there's a Sheik highlight video showing a supposedly good Yoshi recovering low and being being repeatedly taken out.

I seriously don't see the appeal at ALL of recovering low. Sure, you can Egg Toss them, but you're also more susceptible to chases and projectiles. Hell, even occasional footstools. At worst, recovering high puts both combatants at an impasse. Yoshi might be a "sitting duck," but it's not like he's going to be juggled or gimped. When Yoshi goes high, most characters really don't have much to do except try to bait a dodge as he's coming down.... and even when I get my butt handed to me in matches by players way better than me (like about a week ago), my recovery has never been an issue.

-PM-

Smash Ace
First off try playing a GOOD Ike or DK without eggs. You'll get your crap kicked. Secondly I play with all the good yoshi's and we all agree that it's better to use your double jump to airdodge. or go above the stage then Down - B. Other then that most Yoshi's just use and egg or two to get back on the map.

If you just double jump to the map you'll get fsmashed or something because you don't stick to the ledge.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I agree. There are only a few situations where you should ever recover high. If Yoshi had a better move that could protect him from below then it would be better, but as it stands, he has much more options from recovering low and saving the jump only when needed. I skimmed the OP, and it looks like what was said about saving the jump and using it only in specific situations is spot-on.

Furthermore, Yoshi goes much faster horizontally with his airdodge than down with it. He is just a sitting duck. It's better to grab the ledge, ETS, drop to DJ options, along with others. If you recover high and use your jump, a well placed grab will toss you off the stage with NO jump and thats when you are screwed.

EDIT: As a small amount of evidence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sy3aMBr0jE&feature=channel_page
Watch the loss of the second stock :)
Honestly I only recover high against two characters because I'm not worried about anything they can do, those two are snake and MK, with snake well he sucks in the air so i can just land wherever I want (maybe take one snake dash but meh), MK I only have to worry about shuttle loop and there I just Bair or Dair to defend myself since shuttle loop has no priority (then again recovering low works too since MK can't do much)...but yeah he falls too slow against most people after using his second jump :urg:

Also, was that match really with orion getting two stocked by jiggz? Although metatitan has a really good jiggz

First off try playing a GOOD Ike or DK without eggs. You'll get your crap kicked. Secondly I play with all the good yoshi's and we all agree that it's better to use your double jump to airdodge. or go above the stage then Down - B. Other then that most Yoshi's just use and egg or two to get back on the map.

If you just double jump to the map you'll get fsmashed or something because you don't stick to the ledge.
I don't use eggs much in my game so I've done those before and done pretty well, I never downB back to the stage so many yoshi's do it but that landing lag is so bad even ike can take advantage of it...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
First of all, I offed myself twice in that match. Lylat is my second-worst stage, and I always strike it when it's a starter. You'll also note that Meta DIDN'T show that I came back and beat his Jiggs three in a row not long after. In fact, I won half of our matches, yet it seems he only posted the matches he won. How convenient is that?

Oh, and I really appreciate you uploading those videos without telling me you were recording the matches, Meta. Class act. :mad:

Bwett

Smash Ace
First of all, I offed myself twice in that match. Lylat is my second-worst stage, and I always strike it when it's a starter. You'll also note that Meta DIDN'T show that I came back and beat his Jiggs three in a row not long after. In fact, I won half of our matches, yet it seems he only posted the matches he won. How convenient is that?

Oh, and I really appreciate you uploading those videos without telling me you were recording the matches, Meta. Class act. :mad:
The only reason I'm showing that vid is because you did exactly as I was saying might happen. You went high and used your double jump, got grabbed and thrown off, and then died. No need to make johns or talk about how you beat him three times afterwards. It's irrelevant.

Furthermore, comments about how he posted them makes no difference. He doesn't need your permission to post vids up. I'm sure if he recorded the other ones of you winning, he would've put those up. Either way, everyone posts vids up of them doing good. Don't judge.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
First of all, you DO need consent to post gameplay videos of other people. Check Yolutube's TOS.

Secondly, one isolated incident of me dieing after recovering high is NOT indicative of its overall viability. Unless you're honestly going to look me in the face and say that you've never been effectively gimped by recovering low... and we BOTH know that THAT'S not even slightly true. Gimping just happens sometimes, period. No character - even Meta Knight - is an exception to this rule.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Recovering high sux i always get tech grabbed by stocky. And they were just wifi friendlies guys im sure he wouldve done better offline

Metatitan

Smash Master
Honestly I only recover high against two characters because I'm not worried about anything they can do, those two are snake and MK, with snake well he sucks in the air so i can just land wherever I want (maybe take one snake dash but meh), MK I only have to worry about shuttle loop and there I just Bair or Dair to defend myself since shuttle loop has no priority (then again recovering low works too since MK can't do much)...but yeah he falls too slow against most people after using his second jump :urg:

Also, was that match really with orion getting two stocked by jiggz? Although metatitan has a really good jiggz

I don't use eggs much in my game so I've done those before and done pretty well, I never downB back to the stage so many yoshi's do it but that landing lag is so bad even ike can take advantage of it...
Thanks for the compliment on my jiggs. I like my yossy better :psycho:

Airborne

Smash Lord

i concur.... trying to down-B for the ledge grants you another time to be fully open for a smash attack before you can grab the ledge and the opponent can also just grab the ledge before you have the chance.
and i didn't know that PM was on SWF.... that means im not the best yellow yoshi on here T-T

Metatitan

Smash Master

I recall you winning twice... once on battlefield, once on smashville.

We played about what 6 matches or something? the rainbow cruise i admit u shouldve won but i used my grab skizzles ftw ;o

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Don't forget the Corneria random. :p

It's all good, though. Sorry if I got a little ticked off.

Metatitan

Smash Master
master roshi got perfect rest ***** and i wasnt really trying that hard against him. dont worry no matter what anyone says about you just show them a vid of me vs him xD

-PM-

Smash Ace
i concur.... trying to down-B for the ledge grants you another time to be fully open for a smash attack before you can grab the ledge and the opponent can also just grab the ledge before you have the chance.
and i didn't know that PM was on SWF.... that means im not the best yellow yoshi on here T-T
I am yellow jesus.. Just kidding. LOL.

Back in the last 7 years of melee I was a pretty big smashboards person. You can't deny that AIB is better for brawl because they have a chatroom. haha.

As far as serious gameplay and posting no one beats SWF and no one ever will.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I am yellow jesus.. Just kidding. LOL.

Back in the last 7 years of melee I was a pretty big smashboards person. You can't deny that AIB is better for brawl because they have a chatroom. haha.

As far as serious gameplay and posting no one beats SWF and no one ever will.
AiB is full of closet cases and perverts. SWF anally ***** AiB.

-PM-

Smash Ace
Actually most of the really good brawlers you hear of we're from gfaqs sadly. Like anther was orginally from gfaq's so was samboner and the rest of the tournament winners. Even a lot of the melee pros orginally had a gfaq's acct before SWF.

But ill agree there are so many bad kids/dbags/*******/dirty cross profile dressers and such. :D

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Actually most of the really good brawlers you hear of we're from gfaqs sadly. Like anther was orginally from gfaq's so was samboner and the rest of the tournament winners. Even a lot of the melee pros orginally had a gfaq's acct before SWF.
I too first roamed gfaqs before I came here. I still post there from time to time but I am here mainly now. However, I am not a tournament winner..........yet :chuckle:

Top Bottom